Author Topic: Lat Pulls  (Read 3511 times)

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
Lat Pulls
« on: October 18, 2013, 07:56:23 AM »
anyone had good results from These? never done them like this.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
Re: Lat Pulls
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2013, 09:14:50 AM »
Most guy's, I've seen, will do that exercise sitting down, using a lower floor pulley lat machine. Bracing the legs gives better support to the working back, from that sitting position.. Some will use a curl grip (fingers under the bar..rather that over). The full extended arms give that better over all over stretch. Some of these older exercises, like this exercise, seem to fall out of fashion for what ever reason. Still a very good BBíng movement, hopefully making a come back. Hanging from a overhead bar, with the fingers interlocked, gives a great stretch to the lats and shoulder girdle. If there is any secret to stretching it would be relaxing the body during the stretch.

Don't see many guy's doing lat stretches much anymore. Like bending at a 90 degree angle, graping an solid object (pole, rack, etc) and pulling and stretching the lats. Either both arms or one arm at a time. Stretching the lats ( like for the hams & calves) seems to have a good affect in increasing the lat size (influence on the muscle tissue, etc). Gymnast spend a good amount of time stretching he upper body/lats before any serious training periods...exceptional backs, yes indeed.. Good Luck.
F

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2013, 09:36:01 AM »
Most guy's, I've seen, will do that exercise sitting down, using a lower floor pulley lat machine. Bracing the legs gives better support to the working back, from that sitting position.. Some will use a curl grip (fingers under the bar..rather that over). The full extended arms give that better over all over stretch. Some of these older exercises, like this exercise, seem to fall out of fashion for what ever reason. Still a very good BBíng movement, hopefully making a come back. Hanging from a overhead bar, with the fingers interlocked, gives a great stretch to the lats and shoulder girdle. If there is any secret to stretching it would be relaxing the body during the stretch.

Don't see many guy's doing lat stretches much anymore. Like bending at a 90 degree angle, graping an solid object (pole, rack, etc) and pulling and stretching the lats. Either both arms or one arm at a time. Stretching the lats ( like for the hams & calves) seems to have a good affect in increasing the lat size (influence on the muscle tissue, etc). Gymnast spend a good amount of time stretching he upper body/lats before any serious training periods...exceptional backs, yes indeed.. Good Luck.
yes...yes us old sweats know  lat Stretches but Gironda trained the lats from a Special angle and his ideas were advanced for the time.. not a big man but a great set of lats

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2013, 11:32:32 AM »
i saw them before not a big fan of the move prefer to do them the conventional way varying the grips every couple of sets[volume training]. but in between sets i put my hands around a support beam and pull the lats out this also helps to decompress the lower back.
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2013, 11:34:56 AM »
i saw them before not a big fan of the move prefer to do them the conventional way varying the grips every couple of sets[volume training]. but in between sets i put my hands around a support beam and pull the lats out this also helps to decompress the lower back.
wrong pic came up computer acting up hopefully this is pic.
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2013, 11:35:50 AM »
wrong pic came up computer acting up hopefully this is pic.
yup that's where i first saw this exercise. many years ago.
F

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2013, 01:23:22 PM »
great pics funky.. i first saw it in Vincs book . never really tried it thinking you can´t use much weight but i think seated as you said works better.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2013, 04:12:31 PM »

Interesting. Your post makes me wonder if I'm doing the stretch incorrectly. I've only ever felt it in my lats; never anywhere in my lower back.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2013, 08:32:32 AM »
Remembering hearing that the old timers would do lat stretches between sets of lat/back work, like Fink51 said. And does seem to decompress the spine a bit, which would only be natural. Some said they could hear the spine pop and be released some.

Seen a few guy tense up before serious stretches (lats, calves, hams, etc) which only defeats the purpose of the stretching. Stretching can also have a almost healing affect on the body...but relax when doing them.  I had manor spinal surgery in college, with lower back/hip and ham stretches helping a lot in recovery.  Good Luck.

Side Bar: one of the better quad stretches are Sissy Squats, when done correctly.  Bwt only.

F

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2013, 09:31:59 AM »
Remembering hearing that the old timers would do lat stretches between sets of lat/back work, like Fink51 said. And does seem to decompress the spine a bit, which would only be natural. Some said they could hear the spine pop and be released some.

Seen a few guy tense up before serious stretches (lats, calves, hams, etc) which only defeats the purpose of the stretching. Stretching can also have a almost healing affect on the body...but relax when doing them.  I had manor spinal surgery in college, with lower back/hip and ham stretches helping a lot in recovery.  Good Luck.

Side Bar: one of the better quad stretches are Sissy Squats, when done correctly.  Bwt only.

Have you any experience with inversion boots or tables?

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2013, 12:06:18 PM »
I DO SOMETHING SIMILAR BUT ITS SAME MOTION BUT STRAIGHT UP AND THEN PULLED INTO WAIST STANDING IN FRONT LESS BEND AT THE WAIST MORE LIKE A COMBO PULLOVER /PULLDOWN BUT IN FRONT OF U.

Borracho

• Getbig V
  • Waking up is possible if ur tired of the dream....
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2013, 12:16:31 PM »
I DO SOMETHING SIMILAR BUT ITS SAME MOTION BUT STRAIGHT UP AND THEN PULLED INTO WAIST STANDING IN FRONT LESS BEND AT THE WAIST MORE LIKE A COMBO PULLOVER /PULLDOWN BUT IN FRONT OF U.

I do this one too...varying the grip from overhand to underhand once in a while.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2013, 12:18:00 PM »
I do this one too...varying the grip from overhand to underhand once in a while.
THE ROPE AS WELL WORK'S GREAT.

Borracho

• Getbig V
  • Waking up is possible if ur tired of the dream....
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2013, 12:28:09 PM »
THE ROPE AS WELL WORK'S GREAT.

What do you think about this exercise in the vid??

To me it seems to target more the middle fibers of the back instead of the lats. Giving you the possibility for more thickness instead of width...

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2013, 12:57:03 PM »
What do you think about this exercise in the vid??

To me it seems to target more the middle fibers of the back instead of the lats. Giving you the possibility for more thickness instead of width...
AGREE,,

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2013, 02:38:55 PM »
varied pull ups will do a lot more for overall strength development... especially in natural lifters...