Author Topic: Flex Wheeler  (Read 4080 times)

Danimal77

• Getbig V
  • Yo Adrian
Re: Flex Wheeler
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2013, 08:58:14 PM »
Whatever happened to his bodybuilding sneaker line.

- Discuss

Damn he looks YOUNG  :o

ESFitness

• Getbig V
  • i win.
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2013, 08:58:44 PM »
fixed, because the man was broke...when he was in his early 20s

And when he was 27 or 28, he said on video that he just bought a house for 250k.

he won his first few shows and spent all the money on cars, clothes, and furniture. had to borrow drugs for his next shows. (not a bad investment for the supplier, since he was damn near a guaranteed 130k (minus taxes) winner each year, plus guest posing and appearance/photo sales (this is considered "good credit" to a drug dealer)... but his complete lack of foresight would cause him to pay an extra 20% MINIMUM for 'supplies'.

his home in roland heights? I thought he was in his 30's when he bought that... like in '97 or so. I forget how old he is.

he's no craig titus or shawn ray, that's for sure.

ESFitness

• Getbig V
  • i win.
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2013, 09:03:36 PM »
That's even worse to make those mistakes at 27-30. At least in your early 20's that's excusable as a learning process...

250k in SoCal?? Must have been out in the boonies? Fresno??

I believe Roland Heights... east LA. used to be a shitty part, I guess now it's not too bad.

where I am (won't really disclose that... but it's a nice country-club area), I can get a 2900 sq ft 5br/4.5ba for 260k (same home went for $458k in '06) (property tax is like 2.8% though)... or I can get a 2k sq ft 4br/2ba for $160k (property tax in the sub-2's, where it should be).... buddy of mine just bought a 3k sq ft home for 250k in a nice new gated community.

I did find a 5br/3 bath home in Clairmont (in san diego) for $350k a couple weeks ago, as well.

Danimal77

• Getbig V
  • Yo Adrian
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2013, 10:32:35 PM »

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2013, 10:47:46 PM »
That's even worse to make those mistakes at 27-30. At least in your early 20's that's excusable as a learning process...

250k in SoCal?? Must have been out in the boonies? Fresno??
He got his Pro card at 27...the man was broke (not making any real money) before.
And you have to think in 1993 money...250k...I don't know how big the house was. And I think his endorsement from Weider was big at the time. I believe in an interview, he said that after his car accident his salary was either halved or 3/4ths to 250k.

But, it's stil not an excuse to blow money like he did...

Danimal77

• Getbig V
  • Yo Adrian
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2013, 10:53:20 PM »
Whatever happened to his bodybuilding sneaker line.

- Discuss

277 Pounds

G_Thang

• Getbig V
  • The World South of the USA isnt for pussies!
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2013, 10:58:00 PM »
He got his Pro card at 27...the man was broke (not making any real money) before.
And you have to think in 1993 money...250k...I don't know how big the house was. And I think his endorsement from Weider was big at the time. I believe in an interview, he said that after his car accident his salary was either halved or 3/4ths to 250k.

With a wife and kids, he should have paid for the house if anything, and he had the money to pay it off in full.  And where was his buddy, Ray, since he paid off his stuff?  I don't say John Brown and Vince Taylor because he wasn't a part of the pack.

As much as Phil goes after man purses and whips, I bet the Arvada house doesn't have a mortgage. I don't think Phil is that dumb.

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2013, 11:06:10 PM »
he won his first few shows and spent all the money on cars, clothes, and furniture. had to borrow drugs for his next shows. (not a bad investment for the supplier, since he was damn near a guaranteed 130k (minus taxes) winner each year, plus guest posing and appearance/photo sales (this is considered "good credit" to a drug dealer)... but his complete lack of foresight would cause him to pay an extra 20% MINIMUM for 'supplies'.

his home in roland heights? I thought he was in his 30's when he bought that... like in '97 or so. I forget how old he is.

he's no craig titus or shawn ray, that's for sure.
well, he grew up in Fresno...and his childhood wasn't the greatest...
He didn't have Shawn Ray's upbringing...
People who are not trained/taught about financial responsibility often times go hog wild when they have money, burning a hole thru their pocket, until they don't have it anymore.

Onlyme had a story of when Flex was driving somebody's Ferrari and was acting like a total ass in it...

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2013, 11:09:07 PM »
With a wife and kids, he should have paid for the house if anything, and he had the money to pay it off in full.  And where was his buddy, Ray, since he paid off his stuff?  I don't say John Brown and Vince Taylor because he wasn't a part of the pack.

As much as Phil goes after man purses and whips, I bet the Arvada house doesn't have a mortgage. I don't think Phil is that dumb.
Wife (Maddy) came in 96 (Maddy is the second one)...he was married to some other groupie chick before.

As far as the other, I don't know.
FYI, Vince Taylor is from Havre De Grace, MD which is the boondocks...

Bevo

• Getbig V
  • Middle Urinal at Buc-ee’s
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2013, 11:26:03 PM »
I believe Roland Heights... east LA. used to be a shitty part, I guess now it's not too bad.

where I am (won't really disclose that... but it's a nice country-club area), I can get a 2900 sq ft 5br/4.5ba for 260k (same home went for $458k in '06) (property tax is like 2.8% though)... or I can get a 2k sq ft 4br/2ba for $160k (property tax in the sub-2's, where it should be).... buddy of mine just bought a 3k sq ft home for 250k in a nice new gated community.

I did find a 5br/3 bath home in Clairmont (in san diego) for $350k a couple weeks ago, as well.

Damn! I've been away too long, born and raised in the Thousand Oaks area

Bevo

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2013, 11:34:21 PM »
People who are not trained/taught about financial responsibility often times go hog wild when they have money, burning a hole thru their pocket, until they don't have it anymore.

Onlyme had a story of when Flex was driving somebody's Ferrari and was acting like a total ass in it...

I remember onlyme and his stories ;D

Flex was doing burnouts and racing people, something like that around Golds Venice

G_Thang

• Getbig V
  • The World South of the USA isnt for pussies!
« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2013, 11:43:43 PM »
Wife (Maddy) came in 96 (Maddy is the second one)...he was married to some other groupie chick before.

:o

Didn't know he had a first wife.

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2013, 11:47:34 PM »
:o

Didn't know he had a first wife.
yeah, according to his book, her name could have been "Heady" (changed for libel reasons) or something.
I remember onlyme and his stories ;D

Flex was doing burnouts and racing people, something like that around Golds Venice
yeah...that was the story.

ESFitness

• Getbig V
  • i win.
« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2013, 11:50:01 PM »

I seriously doubt he had a 250k salary, even when he left weider to go to Biochem or whatever it was... back then the big name cover guys were getting like $5k/month ($60k/yr)... I don't think Nasser or Ray ever made over $120k.

Everybody made a big deal over Cutlers $100k+ salary with ISS the year he left weider.

ESFitness

• Getbig V
  • i win.
« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2013, 11:51:08 PM »

he'd be dumb if he didn't have a mortgage... I don't know ANY wealthy people who don't have mortgages for the tax benefits.

ESFitness

• Getbig V
  • i win.
« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2013, 11:52:50 PM »

he had quite a few years of making/winning/earning 100k+ (contract, guest posings, and contest winnings, photos, videos, ect...) to LEARN about financial responsibility.

natural selection.

Bevo

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: October 15, 2013, 12:00:49 AM »
I seriously doubt he had a 250k salary, even when he left weider to go to Biochem or whatever it was... back then the big name cover guys were getting like $5k/month ($60k/yr)... I don't think Nasser or Ray ever made over $120k.

Everybody made a big deal over Cutlers $100k+ salary with ISS the year he left weider.

I remember when Richard jones came on to the scene and I think Shawn got him a contract with weider when he was either still an amateur or just turned pro. It was 90K a year and was one of the highest paid

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: October 15, 2013, 12:45:24 AM »

He said this in a  interview back in Muscle Mag in 1999. It was like a 2 or 4 part interview.
He said after his accident Weider cut his salart to  225-250k he had to prove himself.
He also said that for one Mr O, apparently someone high in the front offices of Weider had said that Flex could t compete because be was too busy screwing his wife.

ESFitness

• Getbig V
  • i win.
« Reply #43 on: October 15, 2013, 01:16:45 AM »
He said this in a  interview back in Muscle Mag in 1999. It was like a 2 or 4 part interview.
He said after his accident Weider cut his salart to  225-250k he had to prove himself.
He also said that for one Mr O, apparently someone high in the front offices of Weider had said that Flex could t compete because be was too busy screwing his wife.

I don't doubt flex would say that.. by I DO doubt it's true.

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: October 15, 2013, 01:24:33 AM »
I don't doubt flex would say that.. by I DO doubt it's true.
Remember these were the days around the time of the WBF---after it folded in 1992. The same yr Flex won his Pro Card.
That interview was the first time I had read about what a Weider contract could potentially be...I don't know if it is correct...but, I would like to find that interview.