Author Topic: Delt Question  (Read 1490 times)

The Ugly

• Getbig V
Delt Question
« on: December 30, 2005, 12:59:06 PM »
Think the squarer shoulder look (Jay, Dennis, Dex) is a more genetic, structural thing, or is it greater side delt development?

Behind-the-neck pressers, most seem squarer. As thick as Ronnie is, he ain't so square ... and he's a dumbell/front guy. Same with Yates.

Anything to this?

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
Re: Delt Question
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2005, 01:32:08 PM »
Most of it's genetics. Behind the neck presses might help the side delts more. Because they're tough on the shoulers, stay with 1/2 ROMs stopping about halfway down.

NoCalBbEr

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2005, 09:55:37 AM »
i think that most pros used the behind the neck press as to get their shoulders to a pro level size. but stop useing it for more db press/smith machine front press to keep up the size. i know that some pro use the hammer strengh behind the neck press machine instead of the bar.

benind the neck presses leads to meny pro careers but also leads to many career ending injuries. ronnies was one that got injury.

BigAlski

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
Medial Deltoid Isolation.
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2005, 10:14:01 AM »
I agree with the above posts.  I would do quarter reps or half reps, preferably seated on a flat bench with a free bar for high reps AFTER your heavy work.  The medial deltoid is very hard to isolate and really only medial deltoid raises (flys) hit it as an isolation motion.  Also, I found putting the neck forward on deltiod raises a little and raising more like at 85deg. instead of 90deg. towards the back flexes the deltiods above the traps.  WARNING THOUGH:  the medial deltiod is really easy to rip and can jack you big time.  If you rip it bad it will nag you for 20 years.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2005, 12:27:15 PM »
He's talking about lateral DB raises. Ya, do these and 1/2 motion behind the necks but in both cases ensure very good warmups and IMO, keep the reps a little higher, 12-20.

That will create an incredible pump in the lateral delts and greatly reduce the chance of injury-these are both great but can be tough on the shoulders if you go too heavy and don't warm up. Try 1-2 minutes of windmills & some light set for warmup.