Author Topic: This sold for $58 million dollars. WTF!  (Read 14371 times)

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
Re: This sold for $58 million dollars. WTF!
« Reply #50 on: November 14, 2013, 04:24:41 AM »
Looks like the scan of a woman's brain.

Some art works -esp the modern/abstract ones- challenge you to observe without judging. Not all art isn't made to 'please' us. This world would be a boring place if this was the case, don't you think?

I admit my art appreciation is getting kinda stale.  Haven't appreciated anything new in awhile.

By way of stale example, I don't like Manet's Olympia at all.  He just set out to be profane.  So while I don't like it, and I don't approve of his take on humanity, I can at least appreciate what he's up to since I can see what it is.  But stuff I can't even identify I struggle to think or feel anything about.  I guess I can't accuse the balloon poodle of that tho.

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #51 on: November 14, 2013, 05:01:43 AM »
I admit my art appreciation is getting kinda stale.  Haven't appreciated anything new in awhile.

By way of stale example, I don't like Manet's Olympia at all.  He just set out to be profane.  So while I don't like it, and I don't approve of his take on humanity, I can at least appreciate what he's up to since I can see what it is.  But stuff I can't even identify I struggle to think or feel anything about.  I guess I can't accuse the balloon poodle of that tho.

But, then again, should we always like/appreciate art? Maybe we're just conditioned to have an opinion on everything..
I'm not big follower of artists, so I wasn't familiar with Manet's Olympia, but I've found this amusing vid. It's interesting to hear about the deeper meanings.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #52 on: November 14, 2013, 05:43:35 AM »
But, then again, should we always like/appreciate art? Maybe we're just conditioned to have an opinion on everything..
I'm not big follower of artists, so I wasn't familiar with Manet's Olympia, but I've found this amusing vid. It's interesting to hear about the deeper meanings.

Good vid.  Even tho I dislike the painting I still get to understand it.  He's mocking Titian's work, shitting on noble elements of man, commenting on his world (ok, maybe criticizing it too, so I can cut him a little slack), and being intentionally shocking.

What irks me is that I know, or at least strongly suspect, that 20th century art wasn't created in a vacuum and had a similar genesis, and I'm ignorant of it because I've never gotten off my butt and studied it!  I guess most of the euro stuff I've seen up to around 1870 or so I've found fairly accessible with some help, but things get a little more dense after that as modernity answers modernity, I guess, (instead of the old masters like Titian) and I'm quickly lost.  I'd love for someone to explain the milestones to me but maybe it's one of those things that needs real study, rather than just a McOverview like the rest of my learnins.

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #53 on: November 14, 2013, 06:05:09 AM »
Only when the system comes crashing down will people come to their senses.  They will realize that worshipping this overpriced garbage was utterly ridiculous and useless.  They should have been stocking up on bags of rice and beans instead.

Who says people who buy Louis Vuitton aren't stocking up on food?

Those who really know what's going on, ...and what time it is are preparing with all sorts of things,
...like, guns, gold, grub, ammo, escape means & routes, etc., etc., And if they have to haul ass for a while, they'll be able to do so ...in style.   :D
w

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #54 on: November 14, 2013, 06:18:55 AM »
Who says people who buy Louis Vuitton aren't stocking up on food?

Those who really know what's going on, ...and what time it is are preparing with all sorts of things,
...like, guns, gold, grub, ammo, escape means & routes, etc., etc., And if they have to haul ass for a while, they'll be able to do so ...in style.   :D

And magical pills that make your car get 200 mpg.  Don't wanna find yourself thumbing it by the apocalyptic roadside with your Louis Vuitton go-bag.

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #55 on: November 14, 2013, 06:22:53 AM »
You can't compare a LV bag that costs $400 and sells for $2000 to a $58 million piece of art that originally didn't have a retail value.

The markup on LV bags is no different than markups on detergent, clothes or food.

I will go to Macys when they have their super clearance, 50% of the already reduced 50% off price and get a $70 shirt for $10.  Even at $10 they are making a profit so buying it at $70 just means that $60 was pure profit.

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #56 on: November 14, 2013, 06:24:40 AM »
And magical pills that make your car get 200 mpg.  Don't wanna find yourself thumbing it by the apocalyptic roadside with your Louis Vuitton go-bag.

LOL

Actually, the magic pills work in any vehicle with a combustion engine.
In a SHTF scenario, I don't think you'll want to get caught in a combustion vehicle that runs on gasoline.   ;)
w

Tito24

• Getbig V
  • I'm a large man but.. one with a plan
« Reply #57 on: November 14, 2013, 06:26:28 AM »
i wonder how that balloon dog really costed to make

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #58 on: November 14, 2013, 06:26:59 AM »
You can't compare a LV bag that costs $400 and sells for $2000 to a $58 million piece of art that originally didn't have a retail value.

The markup on LV bags is no different than markups on detergent, clothes or food.

I will go to Macys when they have their super clearance, 50% of the already reduced 50% off price and get a $70 shirt for $10.  Even at $10 they are making a profit so buying it at $70 just means that $60 was pure profit.

It's not always pure profit, ...sometimes the lower than cost prices are loss leaders, or simply a way to mitigate losses.
w

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #59 on: November 14, 2013, 06:29:33 AM »
LOL

Actually, the magic pills work in any vehicle with a combustion engine.
In a SHTF scenario, I don't think you'll want to get caught in a combustion vehicle that runs on gasoline.   ;)

There is a gentleman you should talk to.  Perhaps you've heard of him.  Milton Percival Wiggins III.  He knows all about such matters.

hrspwr1

• Getbig III
  • flirtin with disaster everyday
« Reply #60 on: November 14, 2013, 06:46:12 AM »
Put that stupid purple dog on your lawn down here and it would be full of bullet holes in a week.

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
« Reply #61 on: November 14, 2013, 02:25:17 PM »
it's all about Art and those who appreciate it.....in the eyes of some, it's worthless, but to others, it's other worldly......."the scream" was once stolen, but it was recovered. it was on sold for $119 million.....at that time, it was the second most expensive painting

"The Scream" is dying to be Tbombed...

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #62 on: November 14, 2013, 03:26:20 PM »
A fool and his money will soon be parted. How can somebody be so foolish to spend that money on that crap is beyond me.

I remember when I went to the Metropolitan Museum of Art in Manhattan. They had a whole room devoted to one artist. All his work looked like he took a brush with paint on it and slapped it across the canvas. Maybe I'm not the most cultured guy in the world but I said out loud that this was crap. The gasp of air let out of the people in the room was so loud it was as if I shot a puppy. I hope those people come to realize the emperor has no clothes.