Author Topic: Psychology PHd -PsyD programs  (Read 4649 times)

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
Re: Psychology PHd -PsyD programs
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2013, 07:21:21 PM »
Old AOL screename. Was sort of a play on words.  Just sort of stuck.  I can spell-lol!

It might give the wrong impression...if your name is linked with it (and I know it is because I looked)

Viking11

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2013, 07:30:20 PM »
Wrong impression to whom? Strangers? I dont put it on school applications or research papers, online is a game, an escape- like television which I no longer watch.

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2013, 07:35:52 PM »
Wrong impression to whom? Strangers? I dont put it on school applications or research papers, online is a game, an escape- like television which I no longer watch.

If someone searches your name, it is linked with the handle....hard

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2013, 07:42:16 PM »
Nothing wrong with taking on a different first name...lol...I'm sure many people have done that for things like this..it could make the difference for you

Viking11

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2013, 07:43:59 PM »
Huh? 

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2013, 07:59:39 PM »
Huh?  

Are you concerned about someone, anyone, linking you with a handle that looks like a really dumb guy owns it?  Because if you're not, then don't worry about it.

If you ARE concerned...then maybe before you try to make any big advances forward, you should at least alter your first name to result in a web search that does not involve a handle/screenname that looks like the owner is a dumb guy (because i really don't think you are dumb)

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2013, 08:16:07 PM »
Dude, people will be searching your name left and right...the misspelled handle will jump out at them, and it can't be good...lose the association with it NOW

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2013, 08:24:06 PM »
Step one, email the guy on the home page and ask him to switch the c for an s...he'll do that for you.

It's all in the details

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2013, 08:27:56 PM »
Let it go, Stalkie McStalkins.

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2013, 08:31:57 PM »
Let it go, Stalkie McStalkins.

Do you think it's bad advice, Hillbilly?

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2013, 08:35:37 PM »
Idk, I never found the time to complete my dissertation. 

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2013, 08:38:35 PM »
Idk, I never found the time to complete my dissertation. 

Well let's not stand in the way of others.

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2013, 08:53:09 AM »
Didn't mean to sound harsh last night, IM.

I know you had to play with the spelling to get your AOL handle back then...I understand that because you told me...but I don't think you'll have the opportunity to explain that to most people, because it will destroy the opportunity before it even arises.  That's all I'm saying bro...I know you're a smart dude by your comments here (right on with the JFK thread btw)

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2013, 09:15:08 AM »
Forget about it.

Viking11

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2013, 01:21:35 PM »

Just got accepted into the PhD program at Chicago School of Professional Psychology. 20 minutes after my interview! Yeah Buddy!  (3/5 so far - 2 pending, but I am going with this one- specialty in Forensic Clinical Psychology).

Viking11

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #40 on: December 11, 2013, 01:35:13 PM »
No offense, but if you really want a doctorate why don't u just go to a legit university that happens to have a doctorate program in psychology. This place sounds like a federal loan scam.
Its fully regionally accredited-and recognized for licensing by the State of California- where the campus I am attending is.

Viking11

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #41 on: December 11, 2013, 01:36:55 PM »
My old therapist went there and now charges $150 an hour after earning her doctorate.  Thats all I need :)

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • I ate an entire box of popsicles the day prior
« Reply #42 on: December 11, 2013, 05:49:44 PM »
Getbig should start an online degree program.

Think of all the knowledges we could share

Viking11

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #43 on: December 11, 2013, 07:21:24 PM »
So? Plumbers and car mechanics charge $150 an hour where I am. Plus, how many "patient" hours do u need to bill at $150 an hour to make a profit? What is your overhead going to be? Are u just going to hang out your own shingle and wait for the nuts to start coming in or do u have some other marketing strategy? Legit medical professionals sometimes have difficulty getting patients.

Also, how much debt are u going to have to take on to earn this "degree"? What is the opportunity cost involved?

I hope that u have this well thought out and are not just some simpleton who will simply go into unimaginable debt in pursuit of a worthless degree. Even if u are, I still wish u the best.  
Lots of opportunities for PSYds in Calif. Far more than MEds in Nebraska. I have zero debt from my first two degrees.

Bambita

• Getbig I
« Reply #44 on: December 11, 2013, 11:51:14 PM »
I have a PhD in Clinical Psychology. I attended a large university, and my tuition was waived and I received a stipend for the first five years in exchange for whatever I was assigned (mostly teaching undergrad classes, but also some practica). My salary doubled during my residency year, and that only brought me up to $26,000 (before insurance and taxes). Even with my stipends, a grant, and annual scholarships, I did not escape debt free. I don't know many people who do. Moonlighting was prohibited in my program. The stipend helps, and it's one of the advantages of APA-accredited PhD programs, but from what I understand PsyD programs can be pretty costly.

Though you previous therapist made $150 per hour, that statement is an oversimplification. I'm sure you're aware of the costs incurred as a psychologist in private practice - space, billing, liability insurance - as well as the substantial time it can take to build up a client base. That being said, good luck to you!!! :) :)

A visit to the studentdoctor forums would probably be helpful if you're hoping to get information (as opposed to opinions or feedback on your decision).

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #45 on: December 12, 2013, 01:29:40 AM »
Bambita...Were you lurking before?  How did you find this thread/forum?  Seems weird that someone would make a first post like that.

Bambita

• Getbig I
« Reply #46 on: December 12, 2013, 08:51:44 PM »
Bambita...Were you lurking before?  How did you find this thread/forum?  Seems weird that someone would make a first post like that.
Yes, I've lurked this forum for awhile :) I haven't felt the need to comment on anything before; this just happened to be something I thought I'd address in case it helped the OP.

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #47 on: December 13, 2013, 04:47:23 AM »