Author Topic: Greg Kovacs - Mass Monster - Over 400lbs  (Read 81303 times)

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
Re: Over 400LBS - Greg Kovacs
« Reply #275 on: February 21, 2024, 12:09:57 AM »
                         I agree with Wes.  I have seen them all.  Bill Kazmeijer  was a huge guy. Jeff Everson was as well. Even louie Ferrigno ( and Arnold too of course)  I am 5ft 9 and now 190 but back in the day I was always 220 to 230 ( biggest was 238 was trying to hit 250 but I couldn't  ) But next to some of these guys I looked ok . But next to Kovacks I looked like this DJ guy! ( Example: like Kovacks was a 20cc syringe and I was the needle) But Dj is like the needle when standing next to Karen Carpenter or any other anorexic.
                         Greg was a very nice guy from the few encounters I had with him. Talkative  and friendly but I just got the impression he was not happy. I think he would have rathered stayed out of the limelight and just worked out and did whatever. Musclemag/Muscletech ruined him. They pushed and pushed and wore him out and his body gave up. I do not know that but that is just the impression I got from him. Plus the man could hardly breathe. Could not do anything because he was unable to have the o2 and energy. He couldn't even add and remove his own weight plates  because then he wouldn't be able to workout well.  R.I.P  big greg!
Struggling to breathe is probably why he is no longer with us. You would think he would realize what was going on and lose weight. Even if he lost 50-100lbs he would have still been huge.

hench

• Getbig V
« Reply #276 on: February 21, 2024, 01:51:37 AM »
That's crazy,  not a good state to be in, fake temporary muscle as much as a toll on the body as being obese.
Arnold was asked years ago if he could be forever at his prime biggest would he and he said no, its not healthy on the body to be walking round like that constantly.
                         I agree with Wes.  I have seen them all.  Bill Kazmeijer  was a huge guy. Jeff Everson was as well. Even louie Ferrigno ( and Arnold too of course)  I am 5ft 9 and now 190 but back in the day I was always 220 to 230 ( biggest was 238 was trying to hit 250 but I couldn't  ) But next to some of these guys I looked ok . But next to Kovacks I looked like this DJ guy! ( Example: like Kovacks was a 20cc syringe and I was the needle) But Dj is like the needle when standing next to Karen Carpenter or any other anorexic.
                         Greg was a very nice guy from the few encounters I had with him. Talkative  and friendly but I just got the impression he was not happy. I think he would have rathered stayed out of the limelight and just worked out and did whatever. Musclemag/Muscletech ruined him. They pushed and pushed and wore him out and his body gave up. I do not know that but that is just the impression I got from him. Plus the man could hardly breathe. Could not do anything because he was unable to have the o2 and energy. He couldn't even add and remove his own weight plates  because then he wouldn't be able to workout well.  R.I.P  big greg!

BBSSchlemiel

• Getbig IV
« Reply #277 on: February 21, 2024, 05:47:07 AM »
Remember Greg Zulak constantly writing about him and his “farm boy diet” in Musclemag?

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #278 on: February 21, 2024, 08:26:36 AM »
Dat deer chocolate muscletech tasted better than the crap now
A

affeman

• Getbig V
  • Rusty Trombone looks like an abortion in a thong
« Reply #279 on: February 21, 2024, 08:48:58 AM »

I remember old Fibo stories from a German board that got shut down. Everyone emphasized all the time how Gregg was sweating profoundly 24/7, he was just sitting there in his chair and the sweat was running down in streams from his body non-stop. He had to change shirts like 15 times per day at the Expo and while he was eating, he always had 3 mini fans standing on the table blowing cool air on him. Doesn't sound healthy at all :D

But everyone confirmed the dude was a monster in person, making ur jaw drop standing right in front of you.

Dorian Cutler

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #280 on: February 21, 2024, 12:41:36 PM »
I remember old Fibo stories from a German board that got shut down. Everyone emphasized all the time how Gregg was sweating profoundly 24/7, he was just sitting there in his chair and the sweat was running down in streams from his body non-stop. He had to change shirts like 15 times per day at the Expo and while he was eating, he always had 3 mini fans standing on the table blowing cool air on him. Doesn't sound healthy at all :D

But everyone confirmed the dude was a monster in person, making ur jaw drop standing right in front of you.

Is the sweating caused by overheating only or also by the body trying to flush out muscle which is mostly water?

affeman

• Getbig V
« Reply #281 on: February 21, 2024, 12:52:54 PM »
Is the sweating caused by overheating only or also by the body trying to flush out muscle which is mostly water?

According to the stories he must've put on that shirt probably like 5 minutes earlier... :D

Dorian Cutler

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #282 on: February 21, 2024, 01:16:51 PM »
According to the stories he must've put on that shirt probably like 5 minutes earlier... :D

really it doesnt seem worth it all

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #283 on: February 21, 2024, 03:17:17 PM »
Eddie mayo would down an entire jar of mayonnaise before each workout it seemed to work for him

Kovacs was more of a pig wich got him into problems
A

Tennisballz

• Getbig IV
  • You CANNOT be serious!
« Reply #284 on: February 21, 2024, 09:46:44 PM »
I remember reading about how in his contract with muscletech he was required to compete and it led to that disasterous showing he had.  Didn’t he walk off stage or quit or something like that?

Matt

• Getbig V
  • YouTube FitnessByMatt
« Reply #285 on: February 21, 2024, 10:00:13 PM »

Great post.
I didn't realize we have the same stats currently, bigbychoices! [Height/weight].

It sounds to me that you made a decision to be lighter, be it for health or other reasons.

I think 190-lb may be the sweet spot, if I want to keep my bench press in the 350+ range, and my deadlift in the 500+ range. I started to think...all the risks [injury risks, or potentially health risks from eating more or dabbling in gear] come from being heavier. I feel I have to be at least be 200-205 to make improvements, but that I can maintain the aforementioned training level at around 190. I'm hoping with some dietary adjustments, I can drop to 185, and still maintain that, but I need to be realistic.

I'm sort of applying an 80/20 approach to training, in terms of injury or health risks: I can maintain my current level with 20% of the risks, but trying to push my deadlift up to 600 could result in 80% of potential training risks. So I'm looking for a "sweet spot" - and IMO, a 500+ deadlift gives a person 80% of the benefits with 20% of the risk compared to pushing that up to 600. I can understand your zeal in wanting to be 250 before, but I'm sure you still look well above average being 190.

Out of curiosity, what made you decide to go to 190, bigbychoices? Was health the deciding factor for you, or was it something else?

I took this sneaky video of Greg Kovacs at the 2011 Toronto Pro, but stopped recording when he turned around and noticed me. Greg was HUGE there. Even though he was 42 years old, and six years from his last IFBB pro bodybuilding contest, he was 365-lb there, and he was bigger than EVERY Ontario's Strongest Man competitor that year, including the promoter [and former Canada's Strongest Man Winner] Hugo Girard.

Even a retired, small [for his own standards] Greg Kovacs was bigger than active provincial [and some national level] massive Strongman competitors. As I said, Greg was bigger than ALL of them, including Hugo Girard [who was himself 300+ and massive].

While numbers vary somewhat, Greg was between 412 and 416 at his biggest. Someone said that at one contest, Greg was backstage [helping out with the show] and when someone went for a food run at McDonald's, Greg ordered six Big Macs.  :o The man was absolutely huge.

In hindsight, he probably could have lived longer had he dropped another 100-lb. To my knowledge, Greg was still 365 when he died.

Greg was literally 300+ for 27 years [from 1986 to 2013], and was 400+ from about 1995 to 2005. He was probably 350-365+ from around 1990 to 2013 [when he died]. Aside from when he cut for contests. Even then, he was never below 300, and was probably 320 in that 1997 Night of Champions photo posted by affeman on the first page.

So he spent decades at 300-350+, and was 400+ for a solid decade.

Had Greg allowed himself to drop to 265 after his last contest [2005 Toronto Pro where he was 385-lb], he would maybe still be with us. He would be 55 if he was alive today.

EDIT:
Looks like he was below 300 at least ONCE between 1986 and 2013 [when he died]. He was 270-lb in the contest below in 1990. But that would have literally just been for the 12 weeks or so he spent cutting. So he was still almost always 300+, basically throughout his entire adult life. Sounds like Mike Matarazzo narrating [RIP Greg & Mike]:

Matt

• Getbig V
  • YouTube FitnessByMatt
« Reply #286 on: February 21, 2024, 10:21:55 PM »
Greg Kovacs at his last contest - the 2005 Toronto Pro, where he weighed 385-lb:

Matt

• Getbig V
  • YouTube FitnessByMatt
« Reply #287 on: February 21, 2024, 10:29:39 PM »
Greg Kovacs at the 2004 Arnold Classic, where he competed at 335-lb, with Chad Nicholls as his diet coach:

Matt

• Getbig V
  • YouTube FitnessByMatt
« Reply #288 on: February 21, 2024, 11:00:47 PM »
Some hotel room shots of Greg Kovacs at the 2004 Arnold Classic. I'm curious why that second shot was taken.  ???

I'm not sure if that last photo is also from 2004, but it looks like it was from around that time. Leading up to that contest, Greg/Chad only released back photos of Greg where he looked impressive. Admittedly, at 335-lb, he still dwarfed everyone [including Bob Cicherillo and Mustafa Mohammad]. But even though he came into the contest in shape, he was not able to get his "look" back [like he had at the 1996 Canadian Nationals in the video below]. I guess Dave Palumbo was good company for Greg to have, as Greg seemed to have Palumboism in the later parts of his pro bodybuilding career.

Matt

• Getbig V
  • YouTube FitnessByMatt
« Reply #289 on: February 21, 2024, 11:09:22 PM »
[1] Greg Kovacs in 1986 at age 17, weighing 300-lb.  :o
[2] Greg Kovacs in 1996, at age 27, also weighing 300-lb [in contest shape - where he won his pro card, and got a special invite to the Mr. Olympia contest by Joe Weider, which he should have taken].
[3] Greg Kovacs in 1997 at the Night of the Champions contest, weighing 320-lb.

Even as early as that NOC contest, during his first year as a pro, Greg had put on 20 unnecessary pounds. He should have stayed at 300-lb, and focused strictly on refinements. Had he taken that 1996 Mr. Olympia  invite and just stayed 300-lb, he could very well have placed in the Top 10 [or just outside it], and had he just been advised to focus only on gradual refinements [rather than serious heavy perma-bulking], it could have changed the whole trajectory of his life. Granted, he may have made more money by taking his mass monster approach, along with MuscleTech contract + $10,000 appearances. Without a doubt, he made a lot of money - but it ultimately cost him his life [RIP Greg 1968-2013].

Here are some rare photos of Greg Kovacs posted by his sister Marta, shortly after he died in November of 2013.

BigRo

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Mystical Manspreading
« Reply #290 on: February 21, 2024, 11:35:50 PM »
You can be big and healthy just not this big. Stop being afraid and eat more.

affeman

• Getbig V
« Reply #291 on: February 21, 2024, 11:59:13 PM »
Keep in mind that Gunther was close to 300 pds himself on stage

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #292 on: February 22, 2024, 12:31:53 AM »
Some guys should just never get on stage. He was much better as a gym bodybuilder like Vic Richards, Jimmy Pellechia and the Barbarian Brothers.

Matt

• Getbig V
  • YouTube FitnessByMatt
« Reply #293 on: February 22, 2024, 03:47:06 AM »
You can be big and healthy just not this big. Stop being afraid and eat more.

Thus far to date, I've never had any health test that wasn't in the optimal range. So now I sort of have a fetish for keeping it that way. It's sort of the same reason why I don't make love to a woman in the ass - in part because I don't want to, but also in part to sort of keep a streak going.

My health results didn't change going from 170-lb to 200-lb...although I'm sure I'm slower now, and perhaps my heart is more taxed than it was when I was lighter.

That said, if John Goodman could literally "bulk up" to over 400-lb again for the movie 10 Cloverfield Lane [!] at age 62 [true story - he brought his weight up to over 400-lb to look recognizable as himself for the movie], then I probably shouldn't worry about being over 200.

^ Sheesh...I can't believe he's almost 72. Dead by 80!

Although to be honest, I'm satisfied with a sub-200-lb body weight. It does make it harder to keep my lifts up...but I don't have body dysmorphia or anything. I think it's fine to be small.

Although you are correct that I am afraid of causing myself health problems, and that has directly impacted my progress [by not eating enough].

But I always thought - you never know if you could be that one guy who ends up getting a heart attack young because of genetics! You know?

bigbychoices

• Getbig III
« Reply #294 on: February 22, 2024, 05:31:52 AM »
                             Hey Matt.  I downsized because I feel better at 190 to 200 lbs.  I am 59 will be 60 in may.  I have good health for being an old man. lol.  I am a naturally skinny guy  so adding muscle was hard for me.  So at 220 to 230 it was uncomfortable. I loved the look   though but at 190 I still look good and feel good.  I NEVER walked around in tank tops or "shirtless" unless at the beach or pool .  I don't need others "compliments". If you look good it will show even in loose shirts etc. My calves always got attention because I wear shorts in the summer . lol.  But I never did nor will I crave others attention. Women especially love a confident man who doesn't need to show off.
                               About Kovacks. I personally seen him eat 5 wendys triple burgers!! 5 at one sitting!  No fries just burgers. The whole burger not just the patties!  5 of them things. Yes he had fans on him always he was hot. He couldn't do much physically  he was just to big and had no energy.  People don't realize what being huge does to your heart and lungs etc. And Kovacks was HUGE!!  One time I was at the max muscle store down the road from golds in venice This was probably 2001 or so. I was chatting with the owner ( who was lee priests roommate) and in walks Tom Prince. He was close to 300 lbs at this time. He sat down right after getting there. Breathing heavy sweating etc.  I said "what the fuck Tom did you just do squats or something?  And he said "No I just walked down here from golds!"  Now that was maybe 100 or 200 yards if that!!!  My point is that it is hard for a fat person heart to pump blood now imagine a 300 lb bb on all kinds of drugs etc. It is a recipe for disaster.

kreator

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #295 on: February 22, 2024, 05:49:42 AM »
                             Hey Matt.  I downsized because I feel better at 190 to 200 lbs.  I am 59 will be 60 in may.  I have good health for being an old man. lol.  I am a naturally skinny guy  so adding muscle was hard for me.  So at 220 to 230 it was uncomfortable. I loved the look   though but at 190 I still look good and feel good.  I NEVER walked around in tank tops or "shirtless" unless at the beach or pool .  I don't need others "compliments". If you look good it will show even in loose shirts etc. My calves always got attention because I wear shorts in the summer . lol.  But I never did nor will I crave others attention. Women especially love a confident man who doesn't need to show off.
                               About Kovacks. I personally seen him eat 5 wendys triple burgers!! 5 at one sitting!  No fries just burgers. The whole burger not just the patties!  5 of them things. Yes he had fans on him always he was hot. He couldn't do much physically  he was just to big and had no energy.  People don't realize what being huge does to your heart and lungs etc. And Kovacks was HUGE!!  One time I was at the max muscle store down the road from golds in venice This was probably 2001 or so. I was chatting with the owner ( who was lee priests roommate) and in walks Tom Prince. He was close to 300 lbs at this time. He sat down right after getting there. Breathing heavy sweating etc.  I said "what the fuck Tom did you just do squats or something?  And he said "No I just walked down here from golds!"  Now that was maybe 100 or 200 yards if that!!!  My point is that it is hard for a fat person heart to pump blood now imagine a 300 lb bb on all kinds of drugs etc. It is a recipe for disaster.

Exactly, your body just sees you as a fat fvck at that point.

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #296 on: February 22, 2024, 07:32:55 AM »
I saw Kovaks at a booth at the NPC Southern States in the 90`s.........1`ve seem everyone from Arnold to Ronnie To Dillett,to Gunther, and Greg dwarfed them all.....we are taking fucking huge and he was a very nice guy also.

A goliath - but burnt out way too fast

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #297 on: February 22, 2024, 07:40:10 AM »
Some guys should just never get on stage. He was much better as a gym bodybuilder like Vic Richards, Jimmy Pellechia and the Barbarian Brothers.

x10

Also the improvement of Muscletech's advanced chocolate formula and the towel incident had significant scientific overlap.

Royalty

• Getbig V
  • Mentzer is Alive
« Reply #298 on: February 22, 2024, 01:33:21 PM »

Fake stories

Dorian Cutler

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #299 on: February 22, 2024, 01:41:03 PM »
The amount of blood on weiders hands is of incalculable proportions. He planted the seed of this mental ilness into all of our minds and it all comes at a great price. Rip