Author Topic: Amazon Working On Drones to Deliver Packages In Under 30 Minutes  (Read 4112 times)

tonymctones

• Getbig V
Re: Amazon Working On Drones to Deliver Packages In Under 30 Minutes
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2013, 10:48:04 AM »
This just in: Wal-Mart to install surface-to-air missiles on store rooftops to shoot down Amazon drones.
Hahahah

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2013, 08:16:03 PM »
This just in: Wal-Mart to install surface-to-air missiles on store rooftops to shoot down Amazon drones.

That's not too far off the mark. Those drones are hackable by wifi.
Someone can hack into the drone and have parcels delivered elsewhere.
It is sooo incredibly problematic, ...it'll be a long time  before we see anything like that, ...great PR stunt tho.
w

avxo

• Getbig V
  • Iron Pumping University Math Professor
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2013, 07:56:00 PM »
That's not too far off the mark. Those drones are hackable by wifi.

Well, assuming that:
  • they have wifi. I can see an implementation of a drone without wifi involving a dock station with a wired interface for the drone to receive instructions.
  • they're not properly configured with encryption over the wifi link; I would think that these drones would be configured pretty securely by default.
  • they accept random commands from anyone; I can design a scheme that requires commands to the drones to be digitally signed.

I mean, clearly these are things that the Amazon software/hardware R&D guys haven't thought about at all. It's a good thing that someone like you, with a long and illustrious career in the field of computer security is available to Amazon. Your white-hat hacking skills and security expertise are needed! Do you offer consultation? Preferably, in 5 second increments and wrapped in plastic!

Someone can hack into the drone and have parcels delivered elsewhere.

And someone can steal a UPS truck when a driver steps away with the vehicle turned on to deliver a package inside a building. That seems like a much more realistic and likely attack, especially if you consider the economics: tiny drone carrying few things vs. big truck carrying many things!

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2013, 08:02:23 PM »
Well, assuming that:
  • they have wifi. I can see an implementation of a drone without wifi involving a dock station with a wired interface for the drone to receive instructions.
  • they're not properly configured with encryption over the wifi link; I would think that these drones would be configured pretty securely by default.
  • they accept random commands from anyone; I can design a scheme that requires commands to the drones to be digitally signed.

I mean, clearly these are things that the Amazon software/hardware R&D guys haven't thought about at all. It's a good thing that someone like you, with a long and illustrious career in the field of computer security is available to Amazon. Your white-hat hacking skills and security expertise are needed! Do you offer consultation? Preferably, in 5 second increments and wrapped in plastic!

And someone can steal a UPS truck when a driver steps away with the vehicle turned on to deliver a package inside a building. That seems like a much more realistic and likely attack, especially if you consider the economics: tiny drone carrying few things vs. big truck carrying many things!

I see what you did here...bravo sir, BRAVO!!!