Author Topic: Cardio discussion  (Read 66385 times)

Saskbb

• Competitors II
  • Getbig II
  • Getbig!
Re: Cardio discussion
« Reply #175 on: November 24, 2006, 12:35:28 PM »
Only way to go in my book....5am, 2.8 speed, 12% incline...bulking.

Is there Sun Light at 5 AM? LOL.  My wife is up at that time, but not me I get up at 7:30. Remember you grow when your sleeping and I sleep lots!

Lugar

• Getbig IV
« Reply #176 on: November 27, 2006, 09:57:27 AM »
sleep by 9pm

Rampage

• Getbig IV
« Reply #177 on: November 27, 2006, 03:45:17 PM »
Heres a question i got

When you do cardio , after the cardio should you drink A protein shake (*50 protein, 25 carbs) ??

Manninen dude

• Getbig III
« Reply #178 on: November 27, 2006, 03:54:49 PM »
Most People will say first thing in the morning on an empty stomach, reason being is because your body is short on glycogen supply and will take only fat for fuel for the workout.  This is nonsense.  The point of doing cardio is alterating your internal hormonal environment that increases your metabolism, not burning fat during the workout.  There are several important reasons why you should not do cardio first thing in the morning.  One, you are more prone to injury, you just woke up from a 6+ hours of sleeping, your body needs warming up before doing intense exercise.  Two, your intensity will be decreased, which is extremely important for a good hormonal excreting cardio workout.  Three, when you wake up in the morning the hormone cortisol is raised which is the "main" catobolic hormone, which goes away after eating breakfast.  Breakfast jumpstarts your metabolism for the day, skipping breakfast and doing cardio instead raises catobolic hormones even more and slows your metabolism, which is a good formula for losing muscle and gaining fat!

What a load of BS.

Saskbb

• Competitors II
  • Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #179 on: November 28, 2006, 06:11:51 AM »
What a load of BS.

My view is simple "Just do it". As long as you burn off the cals in that 24 hour period it doesn't make that much difference.  For most of us we do that fits around our "Real Lifes" that pays the rent.

natural al

• Getbig V
  • like it or don't, learn to live with it..whooooooo
« Reply #180 on: December 18, 2006, 04:26:25 AM »
I've got a question for you cardio guru's out there.  Ideally I would like to do a nice long cardio session in the morning on an empty stomach but recently I've been having some issues with falling asleep and thus I'm having a hard time waking up in time to do my cardio.  Now I can do some cardio after my workout which takes place on my lunch hour but the session would be limited to about 20 minutes.  Now I figure I have 2 options:

1-perform 1 cardio session in max-ot fashion which is basically an interval session, 1 minute intervals, time limit of 16 minutes always trying to beat my total from the last session.  I'd probably do about 4 of these sessions a week.

2-I was thinking of setting a goal of 45 minutes of cardio a day, probably 4-5 times a day but broken down into 2 sessions one at lunch and one in the evening, as long as I hit 45 minutes total it would all be good.

Which do you guys think would be more beneficial?   
nasser=piece of shit

Quickerblade

• Getbig V
  • "Check my soundscan, Check my instagram"
« Reply #181 on: January 22, 2007, 05:21:28 PM »
My cardio rotuine is off the chain at the moment, i got a little to bulky for my liking over christmas, i was 5'8 and 89kgs now down to 81kgs, my routine was on the treadmill for 25 mins and burning according to the machine 400 calories..8.0km and 8.0 incline 7days a week ( i know its to much, i love seeing the dramatic changes and i'm still doing weights afterwards to maintain )...also i  can see my abs now...

Lugar

• Getbig IV
« Reply #182 on: January 23, 2007, 10:54:30 AM »
5mph at 8% is brutal!!!

I go 3.0-3.2 at 12% and am whooped....but its' also 30-40 minutes.....

Mick33

• Getbig III
« Reply #183 on: January 31, 2007, 11:48:23 AM »
I am 6'5 and 285 lbs. I workout M,W,TH,F,Sun hard and heavy. T,W,TH,F,Sun I do an hour of cardio on the bike. From the start to end I interval every1:30 from 90 rpm at the slow mark to 115 rpm for 1:30 on the hard mark. I eat clean for breakfast, mid-morn., lunch, & pre-workout, then I have a normal dinner of meats,potatoes, pasta & sauce, veggies, or anything like that, nothing frozen or prepackaged. Then before bed I have a protein shake. My question is will my cardio be sufficient enough to get down to the 240 mark come mid march? I am 30 days into my cardio and really only see a small difference in the mirror, but feel great. Any suggestions.

so_vain

• Getbig I
« Reply #184 on: February 04, 2007, 01:40:20 AM »
sprinters also weight train completely differently than long distance runners do, which has a lot to do with their respective body compositions.

drserje

• Getbig I
« Reply #185 on: March 14, 2007, 04:58:10 PM »
Hey guys i just joined this site yesterday and I need some advice. I had been working out religiously for about 6years, I did a  cycles of Winni about 3 years ago,  I was in good shape  (5'10 ,214, 12% BF). Due to med schools intense hours I have not been able to workout for about 5 months, I also wasn't  getting adequate sleep or  eat the proper foods at the proper time, so  I'm now (215lbs, I would say about 20% BF). I Finished my first year of med school 2 weeks ago, and now have the time to get back into things. I've been out of the bodybuilding loop for awhile so I was wondering if you guys knew of any good supplements that cause for some nice muscle gains, oh ya I don't want to do another cycle. So,  I'll tell you what I'm currently taking and you tell me what to get rid of and what to add.
I drink anywhere from 2 to 4 liters of water during my day.

7am-- Gasparian Pump 250( 2scoops) , Novex Biotech Endothil-CR
7:15-- Nitrotech Protein Shake
7:45-- Workout
9am-- Muscletech Protein shake with a Gatorade
11:30-- Tuna Salad (30-35g protein), 1 red apple,1 orange, 1 GNC multi vit, two 600mg L-glutamine capsules, 1000mg CLA
2:30pm-- Tuna Salad (30-35g protein), brown rice or wheat pasta (one and a half cups)
5:30--  Chicken Breast (30-35g protein),one serving of fruit, two 600mg L-glutamine capsules, 1000mg CLA
8:30-- Chicken or Turkey Breast (30-35g protein), a cup of veggies
10:30-- 1-3 mile jog every other day, it's not an intense jog, I try to keep it at a slow pace ( 9- 11 minutes a mile)
11:10--2 cups nonfat milk or 1 cup nonfat milk mixed with 20 grams whey protein,1 GNC multi vit,two 600mg L-glutamine capsules,  1000mg CLA, 2 tablets GNC ZMA
11:30-- In bed

Thanks

Lugar

• Getbig IV
« Reply #186 on: March 15, 2007, 04:29:51 AM »
You have a solid diet and you dont ned cardio.......get some more good quality carbs in and more potein,....meats....quit relying so much on suopplements and ditch the cardio,,,,time to put on some solid wieght!

SamoanIrishman

• Getbig IV
  • Why stress the little people..
Re:Cardio discussion
« Reply #187 on: June 06, 2007, 03:28:44 PM »
My cardio consists of 15 minutes total, 3 to 4 times a week. 4 minutes warm up on treadmill, bust out a 40 second sprint, rest a minute at a 5.0 speed, bust out 30 second sprint, rest another minute at the 5.0 speed, repeat till I hit 12 minutes, then do a 3 minute cool down pace. I usually set it at 2% incline. Does wonders for me and I dont feel like Im spending all day on the treadmill.

But thats just me..  

Ditto...I average about 3lbs of fat per week when cutting when I do it this way. I also swim laps...to one end and back as fast as I can, rest 30 sec to 1 min...then repeat. Fat just melts. I don't even cut my calories. I rearrange them (higher protein) but don't cut. Everyone is different, find what works. Hi/Low has been proven to burn more fat regardless of how.

6' tall, 262lbs@19(or so)% off season (Rugby) - 240-6@ 10-12 (or so)% during season (but I up my calories 600-800 before, on, after game days being that I get tons of cardio in...I play outside prop). I run a 7.3sec 40.

Livewire

• Getbig IV
  • I call Nasser.
« Reply #188 on: July 13, 2007, 09:51:59 AM »
this Q&A might be relevant here:

: Is it a bad thing to work out in the A.M. on an empty stomach? I know it’s great for cardio, but wasn’t sure about weight training following the cardio. I will admit that it’s easiest to just roll out of bed and throw on gym clothes and hit weights and cardio, and I did get great gains from this after a long lay-off, so I wanted to know if there is evidence to support it not being a good idea?

A: Well, you yourself just said that it gave you great gains, but it’s true that it may be because of being in a year lay-off and then coming back. Nearly anything will do the trick at that time. You didn’t say if there was a point of diminishing returns at any time after. But to your question... Mostly, a person’s ability to lose fat is what ultimately benefits from an empty stomach and low insulin after sleep, whereas weight training requires having some calories in the body. I suggest you do cardio in the A.M. and find another time to do weights. While insulin is low in the A.M. and that benefits fat loss, cortisol is elevated until you eat something. Cortisol is not your friend when wanting to add muscle. Plus, low blood glucose levels are bad for weight training too. But you can compromise. Do your cardio on an empty stomach, and then have an 8oz. glass of milk or a small new potato and a little protein powder. Your stomach won’t be full, but you’ll get an immediate boost for training. You don’t have to have a big breakfast. Have just a tiny bit of carb and some protein. Studies show that protein in the system before you work out will have a large impact on protein synthesis. So get your MRP or your protein bar, or a couple of pieces of toast with peanut butter on them, and you’re good to go, guy!

http://www.getanabolics.com/2007/07/morning-cardio-on-empty-stomach.html
Nasser called Palumbo an acromegalion

candidate2025

• Getbig IV
  • chillin out relaxing
« Reply #189 on: July 14, 2007, 03:25:39 PM »
when cutting, cardio is best done three times a day. in the mornings before eating, take some form of pure protein/amio acid(a good example= l-glutamine powder), and  a fatty acid pill..wait 20-30 minutes; and then do moderate intensity cardio for at least 25 minutes. then, after your workout later in the day, wait for your post workout shake to digest(20 minutes or so for whey proetin), and then do at least 20 minutes of light intensity cardio.   and then do cardio again at night before you go to sleep and after you are done eating. again moderate intensity....at least 20 minutes, but you need to go as long as it takes to burn off whatever is left in your stomach from dinner.  before your sleep, take a fatty acid pill, and another serving of some pure protein/amino acids...(again, l-glutamine would work great here.)

the explanation for each of these is=
in the morning, when you have a empty stomach, your cardio goes directly into fat stores. you wat to keep it at moderate intensity though; because if you put your body understress without nutrients, it will start to burn muscle instead of burning fat. that is why you take the fatty acid pill ad the pure protein, because the faty acid pill lets your body turn over into fat burning mode, and the amio acids keep your muscles from being consumed for energy.

after your workout, doing cardiovascular activities boots syour bodies groth hormone responses, and allows for faster protein synthesis, thus speeding your rate of recovery, and the total amount of muscle you can achieve from the workout which you just completed.

at night time, any food left in your body, with the debateable exception of protein, will be stored as fat. so you need to burn off any left over food sitting inside before you rest. and then, the fatty acid pills lets your body turn back into fat burning mode, and again, the pure amino's will keep your muscles from being conusmed for energy... thus you will be burning fat all night, while maintaining muscle mass.
d[-_-]b actin all cool

brock125

• Getbig II
« Reply #190 on: November 10, 2007, 10:54:41 PM »
I want to begin doing low impact brisk walks on the treadmill after my training 3-4 days per week. Two questions I have are 1. Is it still ok to take my cell tech right after the weights and cardio plus a shake with cytocarb 20 miutes later? and 2. I am thinking of repalcing all carbs thereafter with steamed broccoli leading up to the time I sleep.(I work nights) I powerlift so continuing to increase my strength and keep muscle is what I'm concerened about. Thanks.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #191 on: November 11, 2007, 01:20:24 AM »
I want to begin doing low impact brisk walks on the treadmill after my training 3-4 days per week. Two questions I have are 1. Is it still ok to take my cell tech right after the weights and cardio plus a shake with cytocarb 20 miutes later? and 2. I am thinking of repalcing all carbs thereafter with steamed broccoli leading up to the time I sleep.(I work nights) I powerlift so continuing to increase my strength and keep muscle is what I'm concerened about. Thanks.

You should get carbs either after or during workout.

Those brisk walks would be of better value, if done on off training days, to help with  recovery.

I suggest trying to find 1-2 days per week on off training days when you can do a brisk  walk, either at home, outdoors, or at the gym.

It will help with recovery,  as well as boost the general health and  may keep the BF in check, depending on what diet you are on.
As empty as paradise

brock125

• Getbig II
« Reply #192 on: November 11, 2007, 02:54:54 PM »
I will try the cardio on the off days and once on a training day. So would you recommend the creatine after lifting and then the shake after the cardio on my lifting/cardio day? Thanks again. That is where I am still a bit unsure what to do.

gtbro1

• Getbig V
« Reply #193 on: November 11, 2007, 02:56:46 PM »
talk about a thread revival...wow.

Quickerblade

• Getbig V
« Reply #194 on: January 05, 2008, 01:25:21 PM »
bumping for 08, dont act like your too good for cardio, just look at your hips...yeah, i thought so.

gtbro1

• Getbig V
« Reply #195 on: January 05, 2008, 03:51:19 PM »
cardio is your friend...it lets you eat more shit and not get fat. :)

Quickerblade

• Getbig V
« Reply #196 on: January 09, 2008, 05:46:30 AM »
ok jerk offs, bumping again,

Doing alot of cardio the last week and half, 2 session per day 1 hour each, getting cut like a diamond, off on holidays soon, got to be real cut