Author Topic: Anti-LGBT Baker FORCED to bake cakes for Homosexual Weddings?  (Read 91002 times)

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
Re: Anti-LGBT Baker FORCED to bake cakes for Homosexual Weddings?
« Reply #425 on: January 04, 2016, 08:37:01 PM »
I don't have a list.  Haven't really thought about it.  

Avxo - Bum is giving you an honest answer here

just wanted to make sure you have considered this

avxo

• Getbig V
  • Iron Pumping University Math Professor
« Reply #426 on: January 05, 2016, 01:39:37 AM »
Avxo - Bum is giving you an honest answer here

just wanted to make sure you have considered this

He is - and it's certainly fair and I appreciate it. One doesn't need to think about every conviction one finds immoral ahead of time.

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #427 on: January 05, 2016, 06:19:00 AM »
God will deal with it.

By sending a tornado to the Bible Belt areas as punishment.

Lol

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #428 on: January 05, 2016, 11:24:54 AM »
He is - and it's certainly fair and I appreciate it. One doesn't need to think about every conviction one finds immoral ahead of time.

I assume you're joking though it would be consistent for Bum to decide first and think about it later (or more likely not at all)

avxo

• Getbig V
« Reply #429 on: January 05, 2016, 06:17:34 PM »
I assume you're joking though it would be consistent for Bum to decide first and think about it later (or more likely not at all)

You are free to assume anything you want.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #430 on: January 05, 2016, 06:18:50 PM »
You are free to assume anything you want.

no shit

avxo

• Getbig V

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #432 on: February 26, 2016, 09:40:41 AM »
Texas bakers face threats after declining to bake gay wedding cake
By Todd Starnes 
Published February 25, 2016 
FoxNews.com

A small town bakery owned by a Christian family is under siege after they declined to bake a wedding cake for a gay couple.

Edie and David Delorme own the Kern’s Bake Shop in Longview, Texas — known around town for their petit fours and sugar cookies — and also their custom-made wedding cakes.

Click here to join Todd’s American Dispatch: a Must-Read for Conservatives!

The Delormes are also devout Christians -- faithful members of a nearby Baptist church - and they run their bakery according to the tenets of their religious beliefs.

That became a problem on Feb. 17th when Ben Valencia and Luis Marmolejo requested the bakers make a cake for their upcoming wedding.

“I was up front with them,” Edie told me. “I said, ‘I’m sorry but we don’t provide wedding cakes for homosexual marriages.”

“We don’t do cakes that might conflict with our spiritual convictions,” she said. “It was not something personal against the two young men. We just need to be able to run our business in a way that honors God.”

She offered to provide the gay couple with a list of bakeries that would meet their needs, but she said the men simply walked out of the store.

A few days later she received a telephone call from the local newspaper. The gay couple had gone public — and had accused the Delorme family of discrimination.

"It just kind of makes you feel dehumanized," Valencia told the News-Journal. "People shouldn't have to worry about going into a business, especially a public business that serves the public, and have to worry about being turned away for something, for who you are.”

Marmolejo told the newspaper he couldn’t understand why the couple just didn’t violate their religious beliefs.

"I don't see how making a cake for somebody is going to compromise your beliefs,” he said.

Soon after the story was published, the Delormes were overwhelmed with a number of threats against the business and their family. Angry activists posted derogatory reviews on Yelp and other social networking platforms.

“See you in Hell, lady,” read one angry message. “Racist criminals.

“This business is run by a homophobic piece of s***,” another message read.

David and Edie said they have a long-standing policy to turn away any business that mighty conflict with their religious beliefs. They won’t make any tobacco-related cake. They won’t make any alcohol-related cakes either. And no risqué cakes — of any kind.

“We feel like if we are going to be putting our name on something, we want it to encourage Godly values,” Edie said.

David has especially been troubled at the violent threats directed at his family — simply because they want to follow the teachings of Christ.

“There’s something wrong with that,” he said. “Homosexuals have a right to live their lives ... But we want to live and practice our faith and run our bakery in a way that honors God.”

The Delormes know that many Christian-owned businesses have been targeted by LGBT activists — so they decided to obtain legal counsel.

“We are representing them,” said Michael Berry, an attorney for First Liberty, one of the nation’s top religious liberty law firms. “When they start to receive threats towards their family and their business simply because of their religious convictions — there’s something wrong with that picture.”

Berry said the Delorme family is on firm legal footing — they have a right to run their business in accordance with their faith.

So far, no formal charges or complaints have been filed against the Christian couple - but should that happen, First Liberty said they are prepared to defend the bakery.

“We just want equal rights,” David told me. “We want to be treated equally.”

Mr. Delmore raises a pretty good point. Shouldn’t Christian Americans have the same rights and privileges as LGBT Americans?

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2016/02/25/texas-bakers-face-threats-after-declining-to-bake-gay-wedding-cake.html?intcmp=hplnws

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #433 on: February 26, 2016, 09:55:53 AM »
boo hoo

bake the fucking cake and then ask Jeebus to forgive you (and of course Jeebus will be laughing his ass off at you while he does it )

thelamefalsehood

• Getbig IV
  • I love lamp
« Reply #434 on: February 26, 2016, 10:48:49 AM »
boo hoo

bake the fucking cake and then ask Jeebus to forgive you (and of course Jeebus will be laughing his ass off at you while he does it )

Or.......boo hoo, take your gay ass to a bakery who wants your business and supports your way of life. Idiot  ::)

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #435 on: February 26, 2016, 10:54:36 AM »
Or.......boo hoo, take your gay ass to a bakery who wants your business and supports your way of life. Idiot  ::)

I'd be fine with that as long a christians were fine being denied service due to people being offended by their lifestyle choice

sound fair to you?

Skeletor

• Getbig V
  • Silence you furry fool!
« Reply #436 on: February 26, 2016, 11:10:47 AM »
I'd be fine with that as long a christians were fine being denied service due to people being offended by their lifestyle choice

Yes. While some gays are all too quick to wave the "hater" and "homophobic" flag, mobilize the social justice warriors and often make an issue out of nothing, similarly some christians start raving about "religious persecution" and how they should have special privileges.

thelamefalsehood

• Getbig IV
  • I love lamp
« Reply #437 on: February 26, 2016, 06:26:40 PM »

sound fair to you?

Yes, it does sound fair. You own a business, you serve who you want. Gay, straight, black, white, smoker, non smoker etc. If people don't like it, free market will prevail and the business will close. It already is like this to a degree. I've been to restaurants where you rarely see anyone other than whites. And I've been by places where you only see black folk. Gay clubs are usually frequented by gays ya know. Now anyone is free to go into any of those places, but people generally feel comfortable around their own kind so the clientele usually never changes from the status quo. This particular story isn't about equal rights, it's about getting a lawsuit filed with a monetary award for hurt feelings.

Kazan

• Getbig V
  • Sic vis pacem, parabellum
« Reply #438 on: February 27, 2016, 07:23:59 AM »

sound fair to you?

That is fine with me, if someone doesn't want my business for whatever reason, I am more than happy to spend my money elsewhere.

Now this is the funniest part of the article:

"Ali told the newspaper he couldn’t understand why the couple just didn’t violate their religious beliefs.

"I don't see how making a cake for somebody is going to compromise your beliefs,” he said. "

A Muslim telling someone to "violate" their religious beliefs, now that is comedy gold.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #439 on: September 30, 2016, 06:34:36 PM »
Family bakery closes after left-wing bullies finally get their pound of cake
By  Todd Starnes 
Published September 30, 2016
FoxNews.com

(Courtesy Sweet Cakes by Melissa)

In 2013 a small family bakery in Northwestern Oregon refused to make a cake for a lesbian wedding.

The owners of Sweet Cakes by Melissa had no idea that their decision to follow the teachings of their Christian faith would lead to a multi-year legal battle. It’s a battle still being waged.

Aaron and Melissa Klein were eventually punished by the state of Oregon. -- The couple was fined $135,000 for refusing to participate in the lesbian wedding event.

It was the price they had to pay for refusing to violate their conscience.

They also made the painful decision to close their beloved bakery – for good.

The left-wing bigots and bullies finally got their pound of cake.

The Kleins made the announcement on the now-shuttered shop’s Facebook page.

“The Kleins closed their business months ago and simply now updated their page to reflect that,” said Hiram Sasser, an attorney for First Liberty Institute.

First Liberty is one of the nation’s most prestigious law firms handling religious liberty cases.

“We are continuing our appeal and look forward to achieving justice for them and all people of faith who may find themselves in similar circumstances in the future,” Sasser told me.

To be clear, Aaron and Melissa Klein did not go looking to engage in a fight with the LGBT community. The fight came to them and to their business.

Since that day more than three years ago, the Kleins have faced unrelenting attacks from the LGBT community. Their business was boycotted. They were bullied. Their children received death threats.

The Kleins were literally run out of business by an anti-Christian mob.

It's hard to believe that something like this could happen in the land of the free, the home of the brave.

But we live in a nation that pledges its allegiance to the Rainbow flag – a nation where gay rights now trump everyone else’s rights.

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2016/09/30/family-bakery-closes-after-left-wing-bullies-finally-get-their-pound-cake.html

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #440 on: September 30, 2016, 09:31:10 PM »
Family bakery closes after left-wing bullies finally get their pound of cake
By  Todd Starnes 
Published September 30, 2016
FoxNews.com

(Courtesy Sweet Cakes by Melissa)

In 2013 a small family bakery in Northwestern Oregon refused to make a cake for a lesbian wedding.

The owners of Sweet Cakes by Melissa had no idea that their decision to follow the teachings of their Christian faith would lead to a multi-year legal battle. It’s a battle still being waged.

Aaron and Melissa Klein were eventually punished by the state of Oregon. -- The couple was fined $135,000 for refusing to participate in the lesbian wedding event.

It was the price they had to pay for refusing to violate their conscience.

They also made the painful decision to close their beloved bakery – for good.

The left-wing bigots and bullies finally got their pound of cake.

The Kleins made the announcement on the now-shuttered shop’s Facebook page.

“The Kleins closed their business months ago and simply now updated their page to reflect that,” said Hiram Sasser, an attorney for First Liberty Institute.

First Liberty is one of the nation’s most prestigious law firms handling religious liberty cases.

“We are continuing our appeal and look forward to achieving justice for them and all people of faith who may find themselves in similar circumstances in the future,” Sasser told me.

To be clear, Aaron and Melissa Klein did not go looking to engage in a fight with the LGBT community. The fight came to them and to their business.

Since that day more than three years ago, the Kleins have faced unrelenting attacks from the LGBT community. Their business was boycotted. They were bullied. Their children received death threats.

The Kleins were literally run out of business by an anti-Christian mob.

It's hard to believe that something like this could happen in the land of the free, the home of the brave.

But we live in a nation that pledges its allegiance to the Rainbow flag – a nation where gay rights now trump everyone else’s rights.

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2016/09/30/family-bakery-closes-after-left-wing-bullies-finally-get-their-pound-cake.html

Alright....justice has been served. 
A

avxo

• Getbig V
« Reply #441 on: October 02, 2016, 02:43:00 AM »

Yeah. Justice is the State forcing businesses to bake cakes.

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #442 on: October 02, 2016, 06:57:38 AM »

I wouldn't call it justice. They were put out of business because of the settlement forced by the court. I would say though, that they sure picked the wrong state to be in to have stood their ground. Maybe they should move their business to Texas or somewhere a bit less left leaning.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #443 on: October 02, 2016, 01:23:37 PM »
Shame on Fox News. Can't they find something current to cover? This bakery closed months ago.

Sweet Cakes by Melissa
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sweet Cakes by Melissa was a cake shop in Gresham, Oregon, in the United States. It gained widespread press attention in January 2013 when it turned away customers who wanted cakes for a same-sex wedding, who then made a complaint to the Oregon Bureau of Labor and Industries, claiming their civil rights under the Oregon Equality Act had been infringed.

The owners of the business stated that they had refused to cater for the wedding because of their religious beliefs, and that their right to do so was protected by the U.S. constitution. They subsequently closed the shop, and carried out their business from home.

In April 2015, an administrative court made a preliminary decision to penalize the business. The owners of the business opened a GoFundMe appeal, “Support Sweet Cakes by Melissa”, which raised over $100,000 before it was shut down by GoFundMe, who stated that the campaign was not compatible with their terms of service. In a statement, GoFundMe confirmed that the funds raised before the appeal was shut down would still be available for withdrawal.

The administrative court's decision was confirmed in a final order by the Oregon Bureau of Labor and Industries in July 2015. The owners of the business have stated that they will contest the Bureau's decision.

After contesting for 6 months, co-owner Aaron Klein paid the final order with interest while identifying that they will continue to fight the order.

Aug. 2015 -This week, the owners of an Oregon bakery ordered to pay $135,000 for refusing to make a wedding cake for a lesbian couple sent out 10 specially made cakes to LGBT groups.

Sweet Cakes By Melissa sent the cakes, which say “We really do love you!” in white writing over a red heart. The packages also included a DVD copy of “Audacity,” an anti-gay film, according to The Advocate. The film’s website says it “delivers an unexpected, eye-opening look at the controversial topic of homosexuality.”

The bakery closed because they lost their customer base.

Skeletor

• Getbig V
  • Silence you furry fool!
« Reply #444 on: October 02, 2016, 06:48:13 PM »
Shame on Fox News. Can't they find something current to cover? This bakery closed months ago.

Sweet Cakes by Melissa
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sweet Cakes by Melissa was a cake shop in Gresham, Oregon, in the United States. It gained widespread press attention in January 2013 when it turned away customers who wanted cakes for a same-sex wedding, who then made a complaint to the Oregon Bureau of Labor and Industries, claiming their civil rights under the Oregon Equality Act had been infringed.

The owners of the business stated that they had refused to cater for the wedding because of their religious beliefs, and that their right to do so was protected by the U.S. constitution. They subsequently closed the shop, and carried out their business from home.

In April 2015, an administrative court made a preliminary decision to penalize the business. The owners of the business opened a GoFundMe appeal, “Support Sweet Cakes by Melissa”, which raised over $100,000 before it was shut down by GoFundMe, who stated that the campaign was not compatible with their terms of service. In a statement, GoFundMe confirmed that the funds raised before the appeal was shut down would still be available for withdrawal.

The administrative court's decision was confirmed in a final order by the Oregon Bureau of Labor and Industries in July 2015. The owners of the business have stated that they will contest the Bureau's decision.

After contesting for 6 months, co-owner Aaron Klein paid the final order with interest while identifying that they will continue to fight the order.

Aug. 2015 -This week, the owners of an Oregon bakery ordered to pay $135,000 for refusing to make a wedding cake for a lesbian couple sent out 10 specially made cakes to LGBT groups.

Sweet Cakes By Melissa sent the cakes, which say “We really do love you!” in white writing over a red heart. The packages also included a DVD copy of “Audacity,” an anti-gay film, according to The Advocate. The film’s website says it “delivers an unexpected, eye-opening look at the controversial topic of homosexuality.”

The bakery closed because they lost their customer base.

Todd Starnes, the paranoid religious extremist, is the author; that should hopefully explain things. Still, the article mentions that the business was closed months ago but they recently updated their Facebook status to reflect that.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #445 on: June 26, 2017, 03:56:25 PM »
Supreme Court to hear case of baker's refusal to make wedding cake for gay couple
Published June 26, 2017
Fox News
United States Supreme Court  (AP)

The U.S. Supreme Court announced Monday it will hear the case of a suburban Denver baker who refused to bake a wedding cake for a gay couple on faith-based grounds, in the latest religious freedom case to be considered before the nation's highest court. 

Jack Phillips, owner of Masterpiece Cakeshop, had refused to sell a customized cake for a gay couple's union, claiming a religious exemption to the state's anti-discrimination law.

State courts had ruled against the businessman.

The high court will now decide whether applying Colorado's public accommodations law to compel the baker to create "expression"-- a wedding cake -- violates his constitutionally protected Christian beliefs about marriage.

Phillips told the Supreme Court he has free speech and religious rights under the First Amendment that should protect him. He said he should not be compelled to bake a cake specifically to honor a same-sex marriage.

Colorado's anti-discrimination law, though, protects people on the basis of their sexual orientation. Charlie Craig and David Mullins had filed a complaint against Phillips and his suburban Denver shop after Phillips said he would not create and decorate a cake in honor of their marriage.

Colorado did not permit same-sex couples to marry until 2014. Two years earlier, Craig and Mullin were planning to fly to Massachusetts, where same-sex marriage was legal, and host a reception in Denver upon their return to Colorado. They wanted a cake for the occasion.

The case will be another in a series of "religious liberty" disputes the justices have reviewed in recent years, and could be an important First Amendment test of the extent anti-discrimination laws apply to gay Americans.

Oral arguments will likely be held in court's term beginning in the fall.

The case is Masterpiece Cakeshop, Ltd. v. Colorado Civil Rights Commission (16-111).

In a separate decision on Monday, the Supreme Court ruled for same-sex couples who complained an Arkansas birth certificate law discriminated against them.

The justices on Monday issued an unsigned opinion reversing an Arkansas high court ruling that upheld a law stating married lesbian couples had to get a court order to have both spouses listed as parents on their children's birth certificates.

Meanwhile, the court on Monday declined to review a California law restricting permits to carry handguns outside of the home for self-defense.

A San Diego man had filed suit, saying state and county policies requiring "good cause" -- a specific reason or justifiable need to legally carry a concealed weapon -- were too restrictive. A federal appeals court had ruled for the state and now those restrictions will stay in place.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/06/26/supreme-court-to-hear-case-bakers-refusal-to-make-wedding-cake-for-gay-couple.html

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #446 on: June 26, 2017, 04:57:14 PM »
Wonder if and how this might affect a similar case in Oregon, whereby the bakery owners lost both money and their business because they refused to provide a wedding cake to a lesbian couple, supposedly because of their religious beliefs?

mazrim

• Getbig V
« Reply #447 on: June 26, 2017, 06:01:06 PM »
Wonder if and how this might affect a similar case in Oregon, whereby the bakery owners lost both money and their business because they refused to provide a wedding cake to a lesbian couple, supposedly because of their religious beliefs?
"Supposedly"? Was it for another reason?

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #448 on: June 26, 2017, 06:16:12 PM »
Can't gays just order a fruit cake?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #449 on: October 30, 2017, 07:06:54 PM »
Arizona judge rejects wedding shop’s challenge to ordinance that bars discrimination based on sexual orientation
Fox News

An Arizona judge has rejected a wedding shop’s challenge to a Phoenix ordinance that bars discrimination based on sexual orientation and gender identity.

Judge Karen Mullins ruled last week that the city’s ordinance does not violate state laws, rejecting arguments proposed by wedding invitation designers Joanna Duka and Breanna Koski, who tried to get around the city law, the Arizona Republic reported.

The designers' lawyers argued that the city’s mandate would force Christian businesses to provide services for same-sex couples despite their religious views that marriage is between a man and a woman. Such requirements would violate the constitution.

The judge said that the ordinance does not violate the free speech and religious liberty rights of the women in the case, suggesting women still can exercise their religion as they see fit.

"The printing of same-sex persons names on wedding invitations does not hinder in any way plaintiffs' independent exercise of (their) religious belief by attending the church of their choice, engaging in religious activities or functions, and expressing their beliefs on their business website and literature or in their personal lives,” the judge wrote.

The case is expected to be subjected to an appeal, with ADF attorney Jonathan Scruggs telling the Republic: “People shouldn't be forced to promote views that they disagree with.”

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/10/30/arizona-judge-rejects-wedding-shop-s-challenge-to-ordinance-that-bars-discrimination-based-on-sexual-orientation.html