Author Topic: AK47 inventor - Mikhail Kalashnikov dies  (Read 18001 times)

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
Re: AK
« Reply #50 on: December 24, 2013, 04:07:00 AM »
except for the lack of readily available ammo.

with a 5.56, in a SHTF situation, you can easily take clips off a dead cop or nat guardsman.

with a 5.45, what you got is what you got.

I'd rather have rifles/pistols in easily acquired calibers. 5.56, 7.62 NATO/.308, 7.62x39, 9mm, .22, 12ga, hell, in some parts of the US even a 30-.06 ect...

hence the reason I never picked up an FN Five-Seven or a .243 or a 6.5.... ideally, you'd have something in every caliber. lol.

I love the AK, but I'm a bigger fan of the FN-FAL (preferably in a tactical folder with a 14in barrel  ;D).... "ak for the masses, FAL for the classes." lol

The availability of ammo after the fall is a good point. For now, however, 5.45 is about half the price of even the cheapest 5.56. Overall, I would say that I have more than double the stockpile of 5.56 to 5.45, and a couple hundred good AR 30 rounders.

I am also a big fan of the FAL along with the M-14, but carrying around all that 7.62 x 51 is a pain in non infantry rifle. I use it for scoped LR stuff in the SR25.

macos

• Getbig IV
  • Jamie Dimon get some $$ please.
Re: AK47
« Reply #51 on: December 24, 2013, 07:09:11 AM »
http://www.theepochtimes.com/n3/413659-mikhail-kalashnikov-ak-47-inventor-dies-at-94/

RIP

Arguably the best weapon ever made after the sword.
Supposed to be the most reliable weapon with least maintenance.
far superior to the m16.
Can destroy you kevlar before you even blink

RIP Klashnikov.
$

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #52 on: December 24, 2013, 07:46:14 AM »
Arguably the best weapon ever made after the sword.
Supposed to be the most reliable weapon with least maintenance.
far superior to the m16.
Can destroy you kevlar before you even blink

RIP Klashnikov.
Don't know about that.
It was when originally introduced, yes, it was light years ahead of the M16A1 with regards to reliability... now? Not so much. The Stoner platform has almost all the kinks ironed out and may have surpassed the Kalashikov with regards to availability, access to rounds, access to parts, and most certainly with variety. You can build any form of the AR you want now, from a long barreled 7.62 weapon to a 10" CQBR type weapon.

Thespritz0

• Getbig IV
« Reply #53 on: December 24, 2013, 08:25:49 AM »
Don't know about that.
It was when originally introduced, yes, it was light years ahead of the M16A1 with regards to reliability... now? Not so much. The Stoner platform has almost all the kinks ironed out and may have surpassed the Kalashikov with regards to availability, access to rounds, access to parts, and most certainly with variety. You can build any form of the AR you want now, from a long barreled 7.62 weapon to a 10" CQBR type weapon.
^^
Actually the M-16 became pretty much equally competitive to the AK with the introduction of the M-16A2 in mid-1980's, all receivers are internally chrome plated from then on (bye-bye jamming!!).
M-16 is also MUCH more accurate!!!! ;)

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #54 on: December 24, 2013, 08:44:12 AM »
^^
Actually the M-16 became pretty much equally competitive to the AK with the introduction of the M-16A2 in mid-1980's, all receivers are internally chrome plated from then on (bye-bye jamming!!).
M-16 is also MUCH more accurate!!!! ;)

The whole M4/16 gas system is a PITA with all those little parts, FFS, I have a tool to tune the three bolt gaskets to 120 degrees each. Ridiculous.

Once the platform standardizes on a piston design and gets rid of the forward-assist insanity, it'll be fine. Seriously, who the fuck thought that jamming an impeded round into the chamber and into battery was a good idea?

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #55 on: December 24, 2013, 08:48:02 AM »
The whole M4/16 gas system is a PITA with all those little parts, FFS, I have a tool to tune the three bolt gaskets to 120 degrees each. Ridiculous.

Once the platform standardizes on a piston design and gets rid of the forward-assist insanity, it'll be fine. Seriously, who the fuck thought that jamming an impeded round into the chamber and into battery was a good idea?
I dont think I ever used the assist in all the thousands of rounds I fired in the Corps. Also, then newer HK AR style rifles are said to be excellent, amd are being used with the Mk16 and Mk17 SCAR platforms (maybe not the 16, i think they stopped using it) in the specwarfare community.

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #56 on: December 24, 2013, 08:51:41 AM »
I dont think I ever used the assist in all the thousands of rounds I fired in the Corps. Also, then newer HK AR style rifles are said to be excellent, amd are being used with the Mk16 and Mk17 SCAR platforms (maybe not the 16, i think they stopped using it) in the specwarfare community.

I have a friend who is 07/SOT and he has a legit full-auto H&K 416. It is a fine rifle and I have put several thousand rounds out of it.

That said, his FA AK-74 is actually more pleasant to shoot.

RRKore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #57 on: December 24, 2013, 09:01:11 AM »

Me?

GRACIE JIU-JITSU

• Getbig IV
  • HAIL SATAN. I'm a bad ass...You're just an ass.
« Reply #58 on: December 24, 2013, 09:06:34 AM »
Best weapon ever?

AN602  ;)

"Best weapon? Right behind me."

Guess they never heard of this place. ;D
Gracie Rules

Thespritz0

• Getbig IV
« Reply #59 on: December 24, 2013, 09:15:52 AM »
^^
I only did twice in 8.5 years, and 2 wars...

shrek

• Getbig IV
« Reply #60 on: December 24, 2013, 09:56:53 AM »
that's funny cause I've argued with people about the forward assist and I've used mine numerous times on my S&W unless I want to recharge it again and drop a good bullet . Maybe it has something to do with poly mags holding the rounds in too firmly

shrek

• Getbig IV
« Reply #61 on: December 24, 2013, 09:58:35 AM »
ESF how many firearms have you shot with the 5.7 round? I'm noticing you dislike it . Curious

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #62 on: December 24, 2013, 10:20:24 AM »
One of the best thing about the AK design was its sheer pragmatism. A good example is the selector switch (lever). On the M16 platform, it's safe, semi, auto. On the AK it's safe, auto, semi. Why? Because Kalashnikov knew his audience was largely going to be semi-literate peasants (and he didn't know that it would later be semi-literate Hebrews in Africa) with little or no training. He knew that in the heat of battle, the average soviet infantryman would shoulder his safe weapon, attempt the pull the trigger, fail and then, in a panic, push the selector as hard as he can, all the way down to semi-auto. An American designer would have put FA at the bottom and had full mag-dumps at first-contact.

Also, the internal tolerances were measured in centimeters, not nanometers.

I posted this here a year or so ago, but here is a guy I know from around here who built a pretty nice AK out of a fucking shovel.

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/179192-DIY-Shovel-AK-photo-tsunami-warning!

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #63 on: December 24, 2013, 10:57:23 AM »
I have the SR-25 for the "don't miss" part. It ain't high-speed/low-drag, tho...
I hate that piece of shit so bad...anything I've ever used from knights has failed me except the newer 10.75 handguard..

The last piece of knights gear I was issued was the NT-4....complete POS lol

Bench

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #64 on: December 24, 2013, 11:00:55 AM »
I hate that piece of shit so bad...anything I've ever used from knights has failed me except the newer 10.75 handguard..

The last piece of knights gear I was issued was the NT-4....complete POS lol

Bench

I treat mine like a baby, so it isn't too surprising. That said, it shoots better than my Rem 700 PSS in .308.

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #65 on: December 24, 2013, 11:02:06 AM »
Good choices guys.  My choice is either the FN SCAR Heavy or the good ol' M-14.  

Stoner designed rifles (M14 not the FN) are superior to anything a twinkle toed commie coksucker could ever COPY from a German design.  Yeah thats right.  Compare the AK to the Sturmgehwher 44.

The SCAR 7.62 is the shit...the only complaint I have is mag capacity...the same complaint I have on all .308 rifles

Bench

Tito24

• Getbig V
  • I'm a large man but.. one with a plan
« Reply #66 on: December 24, 2013, 11:02:40 AM »

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #67 on: December 24, 2013, 11:04:36 AM »
I treat mine like a baby, so it isn't too surprising. That said, it shoots better than my Rem 700 PSS in .308.
GAP makes my precision rigs...if I was ever given the chance to take one with me I would

Bench

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #68 on: December 24, 2013, 11:08:46 AM »
^^
I only did twice in 8.5 years, and 2 wars...
I use mine all the time! Cause they make us do it in drills...otherwise I've only used it on loose tolerance guns to slam to bolt home for a new mag when I'm just playing around..maybe once or twice from not cleaning a supressed rig for 4000+ rounds

Bench

Tito24

• Getbig V
« Reply #69 on: December 24, 2013, 11:15:47 AM »

shrek

• Getbig IV
« Reply #70 on: December 24, 2013, 11:39:31 AM »
The SCAR 7.62 is the shit...the only complaint I have is mag capacity...the same complaint I have on all .308 rifles

Bench
how about the 6.8 instead.... I thought NATO was gonna adopt that round

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #71 on: December 24, 2013, 11:42:50 AM »

Bench
yeah It has 20 round mags right? Not a fan of that either. I talked to a MARSOC guy not to long ago that said he qas in love with it.... Mk.17 I believe. I guess Navy SPECWAR decided against the Mk 16, because the M4s they have already do the job just fine, and they added the Mk 17 to have a 7.62 assault rifle/carbine to have the extra knockdown power in their repertoire.

basically the contracts they already had for the M4 and its accessories made some officers/politicians way to much money to approve the Mk16 SCAR.. lulz.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #72 on: December 24, 2013, 11:47:51 AM »
He didn't die they are just going to stick him in mud for a week then rinse him off and he should be good to work.

Tito24

• Getbig V
« Reply #73 on: December 24, 2013, 11:48:14 AM »

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #74 on: December 24, 2013, 11:52:26 AM »
After too many years of being a weapons enthusiast, I no longer have any interest.

But a long while back we over-ran the bad guy's position and managed to obtain a couple of AK's which, needless to say, we had to hand over to some G-2 officer.

But before doing so, we all took turns firing a decent number of rounds into the river from  an high bridge (before we blew it up) and if memory serves me well, I recall that it felt pretty damn primitive with quite a jolt.

Can one of you experts confirm if this is actually an AK 47 and if you ever fired one yourself?