Author Topic: rack pull  (Read 2022 times)

trapz101

• Getbig IV
  • team 'THE CORN'
rack pull
« on: May 03, 2014, 05:51:51 PM »
haven't done them in a while so thinking of give it a try today
usually i will do them last but is it okay if i do them first?plan to do 6-8 sets of them
and how high do you place the bar?knee level?just below?in the middle from ground to knee?
T

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
Re: rack pull
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2014, 07:02:57 PM »
I'm not an expert, but I set the bar as low as I can to still come all the way down and get a full stretch. I've seen someone lay a plate on their chest to make it harder.
???

Just below the knees is where I start from.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2014, 07:51:59 PM »
???

X2. I feel that's about the point at which the back takes over the movement from the legs. Many critics of rack deads claim the shorter stroke makes the movement easier, but I don't believe that's entirely true. By removing the legs from the beginning of the rep, the bar has no momentum by the time it reaches the starting point of the partial.

And, if you refrain from bouncing the bar off of the pins, every rep will possess that quality. Thus, the only muscle(s) partial deads are easier on are your legs. I honestly don't believe that they rob your back of anything.

trapz101

• Getbig IV
  • team 'THE CORN'
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2014, 03:49:57 AM »
it's actually harder for me to do rack pull than doing full deads
did them today only get the rack set at the mid shin
can feel the legs doing a little work(about 20-30%) of it
T

Dicki_Nurmom

• Getbig II
  • FILT RULES!
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2014, 04:08:28 AM »
i used to love rack pulls... given my goals these days i've switched to single arm KB deads... usually alternate hands with the 64kg for sets of 20 from the floor (although due to the size of the KB the grip is almost at the knee)

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2014, 08:57:40 AM »
Personal choice (from the pins) is around mid-thigh. Want to focus more on the actual upper body pull and keep the leg/hip/glute drive to a minimum. I do do a slight knee dip at the start of each rep. If wanting more of a complete Hi-pull motion, than I start from a bit below the knees in a PR and/or boxes and platforms. Seen a few lifters do Hi-pulls, or cleans, on their knees for more of an isolation effect on the actual pull.

A totally different affect is when using rubber bumper plates for Hi-pulls or deadlifts/SLDL's. Going to be using much more weight than you would think possible. The bounce can make all the difference in the world when seeking power and mass. Timing can also enter into this.

If wanting to really go old school, than suggest Hopper/plank  Hi-pulls, Dl's or SLDL. A real mass builder, and all done in higher reps (12-20 reps).

Far as BB'ing goes, might suggest the old Pre-exhaust system. Start with a set of BB shrugs followed with a set of Hi-pulls.  There is no rest between each set. After the Hi-pull rest 60-90 seconds and repeat the cycle. Pre-exhaust can be applied to just about any buscle group. A very effected way is to do lateral raises followed by presses behind the neck to hit delts hard..as another example.

Good Luck.
F

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2014, 12:17:55 PM »
???

I read it "rack chins"...  ;D