Author Topic: Mohamed Makkawy  (Read 20444 times)

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
Re: Mohamed Makkawy
« Reply #75 on: January 18, 2014, 06:31:20 PM »
The Toetanchamon of bodybuilding, the Egyptian rattlesnake, the striated cameltoe, the...

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #76 on: January 18, 2014, 06:35:41 PM »
The Toetanchamon of bodybuilding, the Egyptian rattlesnake, the striated cameltoe, the...
please don't quit your day job....

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #77 on: January 18, 2014, 06:39:43 PM »
please don't quit your day job....

Not sure about the US, but it's weekend here in Europe ;)

Danimal77

• Getbig V
  • Yo Adrian
« Reply #78 on: January 18, 2014, 09:31:31 PM »
Whether it was the 90s or 80s the guy was an asshole. I met him as a student. He had a muscle shop in a plaza in Toronto, Canada, 4 kilometers from my house (near Yonge and Steeles). I had just purchased the Wild Physique from Bob Kennedy's shop in Toronto and figured why not see Makkawy. The guy placed runner up at the Olympia. Back then I was totally into bodybuilding. I worked as a bouncer on weekends, had 16 inch arms and thought I was diesel.

I walk in. The place looks like crap. Half the shelves were empty, and it is obvious Makkawy is going out of business. The place has no design or interesting posters, nothing. Makkawy is behind the counter in a short sleeve shirt. The biceps shot out, and the forearms were big, and ripped. He looked very good. Very short though, 5 ft 2 or 3. I towered over him. His wife is in traditional Middle Eastern clothing, and not hot at all.

I head right out to Makkawy and compliment his current condition. A few of his old bodybuilding trophies are under the glass counter. Uncleaned for over a decade they look like crap. His wife gets all excited that a fan recognizes him. He promptly shuts her up, and shouts at her in their own language. I hear the term chink. He then turns to me and smiles, like I didn't understand what he said.

I quickly understood why his business failed. No people skills, poor english, racism, and shitty prices. Oddly, he thanks me for the compliment about his physique. I pretty much told him he looked unchanged from 1982. I ask him about Vince Gironda who he describes as nice old man. His english was not very good. I planned on getting 5 lbs of protein each, but just put it back and left without asking for my Wild Physique book to be signed. I got everyone out without further incident. I never expected that response from an international bodybuilding champion. The following summer he entered some of European Grand Prix contests and placed dead last. Small, and smooth. After that I never admitted to being a fan of bodybuilding. The way some of these drug addicts act, it is just embarrassing. He did have one hell of a physique when he was working with Vince though. I'll give him that much.

Whether you like him on a personal level or not wasn't the issue. I merely pointed out that the physical condition you saw him in was not his prime condition. As for him being an asshole, etc, well honestly, who cares. Don't let your emotions taint your opinion of the man's legacy in the sport. You're a guy after all, right?  ;)

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #79 on: January 19, 2014, 05:01:19 AM »
How about Napoleon Bonaparte, Daffy Duck or Mahatma Gandhi?
I like Daffy the other two I dont give a piss about.

Primary Captain

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #80 on: January 19, 2014, 05:10:46 AM »
Whether you like him on a personal level or not wasn't the issue. I merely pointed out that the physical condition you saw him in was not his prime condition. As for him being an asshole, etc, well honestly, who cares. Don't let your emotions taint your opinion of the man's legacy in the sport. You're a guy after all, right?  ;)
This "keanu" guy is a liar. Why would Mohamed speak in a foreign language except for English racial slurs cataloguing each person as they walked in the store? It's pure BS and it is being dealt with.

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #81 on: January 20, 2014, 05:58:17 AM »
This "keanu" guy is a liar. Why would Mohamed speak in a foreign language except for English racial slurs cataloguing each person as they walked in the store? It's pure BS and it is being dealt with.

Please do not pretend to tell us that you have never heard, let's say, a commercial in Mexican where they come to a word or words that have no translation into their native language?

German, Italian, Spanish (i.e., Castilian) French, etc.  I listen to jazz over a variety of internet stations in foreign  countries and this happens all the time.    Other than Keanu telling us (and we have no reason not to believe him other than perhaps personal bias against him) I have no proof that Makkawy did this.  But it is likely he could have because I hear it frequently on the radio and in the world around me. 

People can be jerks.  Even people of "color".   Its just that more often than not, they get a free pass from society.

It's entirely possible that Makkawy is a great bodybuilder but an average person.

Primary Captain

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #82 on: January 20, 2014, 06:38:39 AM »
Please do not pretend to tell us that you have never heard, let's say, a commercial in Mexican where they come to a word or words that have no translation into their native language?

German, Italian, Spanish (i.e., Castilian) French, etc.  I listen to jazz over a variety of internet stations in foreign  countries and this happens all the time.    Other than Keanu telling us (and we have no reason not to believe him other than perhaps personal bias against him) I have no proof that Makkawy did this.  But it is likely he could have because I hear it frequently on the radio and in the world around me. 

People can be jerks.  Even people of "color".   Its just that more often than not, they get a free pass from society.

It's entirely possible that Makkawy is a great bodybuilder but an average person.
^^
Easily the most ridiculous post of 2014 thus far. I have no idea what you're talking about. Jazz or something?  I have been exchanging emails with Mohamed regarding this situation and we are moving towards a remedy that will involve Ron.

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #83 on: January 20, 2014, 06:42:25 AM »
^^
Easily the most ridiculous post of 2014 thus far. I have no idea what you're talking about. Jazz or something?  I have been exchanging emails with Mohamed regarding this situation and we are moving towards a remedy that will involve Ron.

Sorry its beyond you.  It shouldn't be and in all honesty I think you're just faking a shortcoming at comprehension because in this instance you don't care for the truth of my words.  Fine.  ;D