Author Topic: Deadlock in Congress tied to Senate, says liberal think tank  (Read 849 times)

tonymctones

• Getbig V
Deadlock in Congress tied to Senate, says liberal think tank
« on: January 16, 2014, 05:48:18 PM »
http://news.yahoo.com/think-tank--senate-committees-deadlier-than-house-filibusters-194223760.html

The 113th Congress was one of the most ineffective in American history, passing fewer public laws than any other since at least 1947. And according to the Brookings Institution's Center for Effective Public Management, a Washington-based think tank, the gridlock on Capitol Hill was worse in the Democrat-controlled Senate than the Republican-led House.

The House was able to pass nearly twice the rate of bills introduced as was the Senate, where the committee process wreaked havoc on potential legislation, according to Brookings' analysis.

Yet the republicans are the obstructionist....

dario73

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Deadlock in Congress tied to Senate, says liberal think tank
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2014, 07:10:24 AM »
It supports what Boehner and others have said.

They have sent numerous bills dealing with everything from the budget to healthcare but Reid will not even bring them to the floor of the Senate. Reid wants to create the bills in the Senate and pressure the GOP House to sign them.

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2014, 07:42:10 AM »
Once again 'progress' seems to be measured by how many bills they pass...personally the fewer laws they pass the better, as most of them are detrimental to the individual and the nation.

To the media, congress would have been 'successful' had they passed gun control, amnesty, infinite welfare spending, etc... ::)

RRKore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2014, 08:35:04 AM »
http://news.yahoo.com/think-tank--senate-committees-deadlier-than-house-filibusters-194223760.html

The 113th Congress was one of the most ineffective in American history, passing fewer public laws than any other since at least 1947. And according to the Brookings Institution's Center for Effective Public Management, a Washington-based think tank, the gridlock on Capitol Hill was worse in the Democrat-controlled Senate than the Republican-led House.

The House was able to pass nearly twice the rate of bills introduced as was the Senate, where the committee process wreaked havoc on potential legislation, according to Brookings' analysis.

So you're saying that because the Senate is majority-democrat and because grid-lock in the Senate is worse than in the House, this means that grid-lock cannot primarily be the fault of the (Senate minority) Republicans? 

C'mon Tony.  Even a marginally politically aware dude like myself kinda followed the Senate filibuster stuff from not long ago whereby it was made clear that the issue was the Senate minority (repubs) were obstructing the passage of laws and the appointments of officials (allegedly out of Obama-hate).  You must have heard something about this, didn't you?

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2014, 09:16:03 AM »
So you're saying that because the Senate is majority-democrat and because grid-lock in the Senate is worse than in the House, this means that grid-lock cannot primarily be the fault of the (Senate minority) Republicans? 

C'mon Tony.  Even a marginally politically aware dude like myself kinda followed the Senate filibuster stuff from not long ago whereby it was made clear that the issue was the Senate minority (repubs) were obstructing the passage of laws and the appointments of officials (allegedly out of Obama-hate).  You must have heard something about this, didn't you?

::)

RRKore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2014, 12:20:22 PM »
::)

Well said...if you're a girl in Junior High School, that is.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2014, 12:33:04 PM »
Well said...if you're a girl in Junior High School, that is.

How rude.   >:(

RRKore

• Getbig IV

Dos Equis

• Getbig V

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2014, 04:46:12 PM »

LMFAO yes its all the reps fault even though the reps in the house seem to have no issue...

seeing as the vast majority of obama appointees are political lackies I think the reps scrutiny is much deserved especially considering how far left obamas cronies are.

at what point will you pass any blame to the dems and obama?

RRKore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2014, 10:00:59 PM »
LMFAO yes its all the reps fault even though the reps in the house seem to have no issue...

seeing as the vast majority of obama appointees are political lackies I think the reps scrutiny is much deserved especially considering how far left obamas cronies are.

at what point will you pass any blame to the dems and obama?

Negress, IMO your language is too casual for real discussion but I'm gonna pretend that you carefully considered each word of your response.  BTW, I don't fault ya -- It's just political talk for the purpose of entertainment (and between muscleheads no less) so what can one expect?

Anyways, I'll address each of the 3 parts of your response.

1st, "All" the repubs fault?  Where did I say or imply that?  Didn't I use the word "primarily"?  "Primarily" does not mean "all".

Also, when you say that republicans in the House "seem to have no issue" (i.e., they aren't causing any gridlock) are you basing that on the article?  Because it said no such thing.  It only said that gridlock in the senate was worse than in the House.  You did qualify what you said by saying that repubs "seem" to have no issue but that's not reasonable; Worse in the Senate does not "seem" to mean there are no issues in the House.  Who would think that?

So you wrote, "...yes its all the reps fault even though the reps in the house seem to have no issue..." but you know what? Even if the repubs in the House had no gridlocking obstruction issues (but they do) it doesn't mean that repubs in the Senate don't either.  Why would it?  Tell ya what, if I was in the House and only had a 2-year term I'd be a lot more careful about political obstructionism because I'd be worried that my political competition would try to make hay over it in my next election that's only 2 years or less away.  If I'm a Senator with a 6-year term, especially one who's not in his 1st term, I'd feel a lot more secure about political shenanigans.

The 2nd part of what you wrote basically said that obstructing a lot of Obama's appointees seems deserved.  I have no problem with your opinion here.  You don't say "all" and you present this as only your opinion so cool by me.

The 3rd part of what you say asks when I'll start assigning any blame to the democrats.  Answer:  When I start a thread about obstructionism I'll try to be fair and mention all who I think are responsible.  Until then, I'm just trying to point out that what you were implying (repubs aren't responsible gridlock-causing obstructionism because they're the minority in the Senate) was contradicted by widely-read info from when the 60-vote to kill the filibuster (under certain circumstances) rule was changed not long ago.

Personally, I don't think you're guilty of this but what you did (saying dems to blame for what is mostly republicans fault) smacked of how the repubs tried to say that the dems were responsible for the shutdown when that was some Cruz-led BS.

Dems suck in some ways, sure, but the obstructionism thang is largely on the right.  They'd rather see America suffer a little bit if it makes Obama look bad.  As a tactic, it's not bad but it's been totally overused and Obama's in his last term anyway so I'm not sure if it's worth the risk.

Anyway, I don't blame ya if you don't read all that shit I just wrote.  Hope you're doing OK in ol' Tejas.  I was in Dallas (Irving, actually) last week for work and it was cold as hell.  Couldn't see shit and thought I might die when I drove through the fog at 3am to do some late-night training at Lifetime Fitness in Colleyville.  Weather in your state sucks, mang.

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2014, 07:20:39 AM »

Am I the only who thinks this is probably a good thing?

We have enough fucking laws as it is.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2014, 10:44:41 AM »

Am I the only who thinks this is probably a good thing?

We have enough fucking laws as it is.

You are not alone.  The legislature isn't "productive" simply because they pass a lot of bills.  It's about quality, not quantity.