Author Topic: The legend of Jonah Lomu. Better than any NFL player  (Read 17353 times)

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
Re: The legend of Jonah Lomu. Better than any NFL player
« Reply #50 on: January 28, 2014, 05:53:54 PM »
Jim Thorpe would have beaten the piss out of "Jonah Lomu".

Hell yes!  And a far superior athlete in every way. And if he had chosen to don the thong he would have relegated "Lame-o" to the second tier status he deserves. 

che

• Getbig V
« Reply #51 on: January 28, 2014, 05:57:13 PM »

Hahahaa

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • significantly cheaper and federally legal
« Reply #52 on: January 28, 2014, 06:00:19 PM »

x2 great American

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
« Reply #53 on: January 28, 2014, 06:07:14 PM »
Michael fukcing Jordan was basically laughed at for trying to play baseball. And some of you here are saying that this guy shouldn't be laughed at for wearing a thong onstage and looking like a bag of smashed assholes. Give me a break.

ChopperRider

• Getbig V
  • Ugly, bald Shitso scalp for sale = $1
« Reply #54 on: January 28, 2014, 06:50:33 PM »
With all Due respect as Great a Legend and Player the Great Earl Campbell was with all that Protective padding, Helmet, etc on, he wouldnt of "Steamroll" Jonah in a 1000 years, if we are talking about both in their Youth/Prime, if Memory serves right i think Earl was a click or 2 under 6ft and for his Time a Power-packed 108-110kg and could really run... 10.5-10.6... or with ever it was for the 100m, in Comparison Lomu was 6 ft 5-6ft 6...and 120-122kg with a best in the 100 of anywhere from 10.8-10.9sec.

You combine those 2 both in there primes running STRAIGHT @ one another with NO PROTECTIVE gear on (as Lomu did his whole career) you tell me whos going too stream roll who...

Bleacher Report article says Lomu was 6'-5" and 265-283 lbs with a 10.6 in the 100m dash.

I don't know much about rugby, but those are ridiculous stats (if accurate). He may not have been a NFL running back, but I'm sure TE/LB wouldn't have been out of the question.

Stan Diego

• Getbig III
  • A whales vagina
« Reply #55 on: January 28, 2014, 07:02:15 PM »
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/636967-nfl-why-rugby-legend-jonah-lomu-was-the-best-running-back-who-never-put-on-pads

NFL: Why Rugby Legend Jonah Lomu Was the Best Running Back Who Never Put on Pads

For those who have not seen what Jonah Lomu can do on the field, you only need to see some of the footage from his career to understand.

Now that we're all on the same page concerning his talent, it's time to run through just how physically imposing he is.

Lomu stands 6'5" tall and weighed between 270 to 280 pounds during his playing career. While this might sound like he's all brawn with no speed, the man ran a 100-metre sprint in 10.8 seconds in high school.

When the Dallas Cowboys were looking into bringing him to the NFL, his predicted 40-yard dash time was just under 4.5. For comparisons sake, the lightning-fast Darrius Heyward-Bey ran a 100-metre sprint in 10.54 seconds in high school.

If that is not enough, he had a lethal combination of speed, leg drive, upper body strength and agility in and out of cuts. He could have carved up or bowled straight through defensive secondaries in the NFL—and that's without mentioning his famed fend (stiff arm), which has to be one of the best ever in any sport.

For those who doubt the tackling ability of rugby players, you shouldn't.

While they certainly don't dive in as recklessly as NFL defenders do, they are technically sound. If you look, in most games, they don't look stupid trying to tackle someone.

Lomu's ability to cut at speed meant that very few players were able to get clean hits on him. Granted, he was no Barry Sanders, but he could always get just enough wiggle to get a defender off balance and force them into arm-tackles around his monstrous thighs.

Another point is the size discrepancy between him and his competition. This was a question mark when the Cowboys were analysing him. After all, the only rugby players who normally get anywhere near 260 pounds are the props.

Running through players this size is not entirely foreign to Lomu, however. He does blast through plenty of 230-245 pound players on his way to the try line, and his running power and leg drive do seem to rival some of the great power backs like Earl Campbell and Eddie George. I would be comfortable letting him loose on linebackers.

The greatest reason why Lomu would be a better running back than a rugby winger is the running start that a running back gets.

After the 1995 Rugby World Cup, defenses would place a defender right on Lomu and not allow him any time to build up speed.

This tactic would be completely eliminated on an American Football field, where he would consistently get a five or six-yard run-up to get up to speed and hit "beast mode."

The real issue that would have struck Lomu if he'd joined the NFL would have been reading blocks.

Running in a rugby game is totally open field, with no blockers to help out.

While this would have worked in Lomu's favour as he matured into the sport, he would have had issues finding cut back lanes and reading gaps in the offensive line early in his hypothetical career.

David Ramos/Getty Images
Despite this obstacle, I truly believe that Lomu could have been an All-Pro running back in the NFL if he gave it a go in his prime. He had the size, power and leg strength to be a bulldozer between the tackles and the speed and cutting ability to cause havoc on outside runs and in the open field. His tight end size, long arms and height would give him all the tools to be a good pass protector in the backfield, as well as a safe receiver out of the backfield.

One of the greatest pleasures of my childhood in New Zealand was watching Jonah steamroll past, over and around defenders for my beloved All Blacks. I just wish he could have done the same in the NFL.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #56 on: January 28, 2014, 07:11:28 PM »
Finally someone that is more narrow than Phil Heath.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #57 on: January 28, 2014, 07:20:14 PM »

And a nice set of manboobs. 

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #58 on: January 28, 2014, 07:24:03 PM »
And a nice set of manboobs. 
I bet he can`t even do the whole stack on the Pec Deck machine.

ChopperRider

• Getbig V
« Reply #59 on: January 28, 2014, 07:24:59 PM »

The first photo looks like the head is photoshopped onto it.

It looks like there is less PEDs in rugby than in the NFL.

nzmusclemonster

• Getbig V
  • Serenity Now!
« Reply #60 on: January 28, 2014, 10:02:54 PM »
 8)

P

Darren Avey

• Getbig V
« Reply #61 on: January 29, 2014, 01:55:07 AM »
Ive seen an interview with him where he claimed to squat 750lbs for 12 reps  ::)

Method101

• Getbig V
« Reply #62 on: January 29, 2014, 02:10:48 AM »
yea great until his kidneys gave out due to a "rare genetic condition" hahaha  :D

Cleanest Natural

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Diet first, all else second
« Reply #63 on: January 29, 2014, 03:03:24 AM »
lol @ the pudgy samoan running a 10.6 in highscool without being a track athlete .. 700lbs squat for reps etc ... a LOT of BS

He was a very good rugby player given the opposition who was clearly physically inferior

If Lomu would have gone to NFL as a youngster, maybe he would have been really good

Wolfox

• Getbig V
« Reply #64 on: January 29, 2014, 03:05:17 AM »
lol @ the pudgy samoan running a 10.6 in highscool without being a track athlete .. 700lbs squat for reps etc ... a LOT of BS

He was a very good rugby player given the opposition who was clearly physically inferior

If Lomu would have gone to NFL as a youngster, maybe he would have been really good

Lomu is TONGAN, not samoan.

A

GraniteCityDon

• Getbig IV
« Reply #65 on: January 29, 2014, 05:53:30 AM »
Lomu would have cleaned out a bar quicker than Jake the Muss ha ha, man was a phenom.

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #66 on: January 29, 2014, 05:58:23 AM »
Did he play against any Hebrew opponents?

Babe Ruth never had to do this so I think he is overrated.

Right because blacks are renowned for their overwhelming number of legendary pitchers ::)

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #67 on: January 29, 2014, 05:58:44 AM »
Lomu would have cleaned out a bar quicker than Jake the Muss ha ha, man was a phenom.

I am sure the stench cleaned out many bars. 

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #68 on: January 29, 2014, 06:04:39 AM »
I bet he can`t even do the whole stack on the Pec Deck machine.

;D

ChopperRider

• Getbig V
« Reply #69 on: January 29, 2014, 06:54:48 AM »
Ive seen an interview with him where he claimed to squat 750lbs for 12 reps  ::)

Typical Getbigger warm up.

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • significantly cheaper and federally legal
« Reply #70 on: January 29, 2014, 08:16:46 AM »

I don't know where the 10.6 that was posted earlier is coming from.  The poster referenced wiki but wiki says he ran a 10.89 s for the 100 meters.

10.89 is a great time for a big guy but I don't think it's remarkable for NFL tight end-caliber athletes.

Wiki says Vernon Davis ran a 10.7 for example.

GraniteCityDon

• Getbig IV
« Reply #71 on: January 29, 2014, 08:22:57 AM »
Can you imagine an athlete of Lomu's calibre in the American system? One thing ill say is they have the best of everything and make people better than they thought they could be. Lomu with those facilities and guidance would have been unbelievable by anyones standards considering what he achieved with what he had.

SamoanIrishman

• Getbig IV
  • Why stress the little people..
« Reply #72 on: January 29, 2014, 09:28:39 AM »
Lomu is TONGAN, not samoan.

same difference.  ;D

language 90% identical, culture 90% identical, food 98% identical, place of origin 100% identical (Trop Island)..funny though how they hate eachother. Especially old school.

Ronnie Rep

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #73 on: January 29, 2014, 09:51:48 AM »
Bo was a freak.....bo would have been good at anything, and was. Hell he's fucking bad ass with a bow.
Bo was the greatest! No one excelled at 2 sports the way he did!

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #74 on: January 29, 2014, 10:33:42 AM »
I am sure the stench cleaned out many bars. 

;D