Author Topic: Andre the Giant - Feat of Strength  (Read 27593 times)

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
Re: Andre the Giant - Feat of Strength
« Reply #75 on: February 08, 2014, 09:04:02 AM »

Another interesting fact about Andre is that he received formal training in catch-as-catch-can wrestling by the Englishmen; essentially a form of shoot fighting developed by the Wigan coal miners.

I'm sure Andre had lots of experience with guys trying to go for his legs.

My approach to fighting Andre, in his prime, would be to square up, raise my hands, turn 180 degrees, then sprint. ;D

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #76 on: February 08, 2014, 09:23:47 AM »
I'm sure Andre had lots of experience with guys trying to go for his legs.

My approach to fighting Andre, in his prime, would be to square up, raise my hands, turn 180 degrees, then sprint. ;D

There's footage of this out there: Maeda tried shooting on Andre during a match in Japan. I've heard several versions of the story. Below is Dave Meltzer's account, which is probably pretty accurate:

Major disaster. The mega-hyped match that turned into a near shoot because Andre wouldn't sell Maeda's offense. Maeda was getting a big head and Andre was told to embarrass him in the ring since everyone believed in the Andre myth. Maeda didn't know and Andre, even drunk, was powerful as hell, and started going for Maeda's eyes after no selling his submissions. When Maeda saw it was on, he reacted as only he could. The reason it wasn't stopped earlier was the idea was for Andre to kick Maeda's ass and they were waiting for it to happen. Maeda was kicking Andre's knee until it turned bright red and took him down rather easily a few times. He turned to Kantaro Hoshino and asked if he could finish him off and Hoshino shook his head "no." Maeda was pissed and threw a kick at the guard rail that was more brutal than any kick he threw at Andre. Maeda has been very unprofessional at certain points in his career and is a baby, but in this case, a guy twice his size started it with him and he was trying to protect himself, put some fear into Andre, and not hurt Andre all at the same time. Dick Murdoch, who believed in the myth of Andre, as did everyone at the time, came back and said that he thought Maeda was going to end Andre's career. WINNER: Certainly not the fans. (thanks to Dave Meltzer)

Karl Kox

• Getbig V
  • There's no Kayfabe in the business anymore.
« Reply #77 on: February 08, 2014, 10:15:34 PM »
Here is the match. I just watched it for the first time. Very weird.
I thing Andre started off shooting on him. Then Madea got pissed and started taking him down over and over.
The kicks started looking pretty intense at one point.
I also think Andre might have been drunk. He did have several chances to seriously hurt Madea and didn't do it.
When Inoki came out I guess that's when he had realized something had better be done.

Also I think this is the worse physically I have ever seen Andre. Very over weight and his knees looked very bad. Several years before this when Andre was leaner he might have done a Little better.
 I come from a amature back ground and Madea has great take downs BTW.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #78 on: February 09, 2014, 05:59:02 AM »
Here is the match. I just watched it for the first time. Very weird.
I thing Andre started off shooting on him. Then Madea got pissed and started taking him down over and over.
The kicks started looking pretty intense at one point.
I also think Andre might have been drunk. He did have several chances to seriously hurt Madea and didn't do it.
When Inoki came out I guess that's when he had realized something had better be done.

Also I think this is the worse physically I have ever seen Andre. Very over weight and his knees looked very bad. Several years before this when Andre was leaner he might have done a Little better.

Andre seemed to have that drunken stagger a few times. If this was in '86, then it was around the time he filmed The Princess Bride. Andre had major back and knee issues by that point, and it was said he could not even safely catch actress Robin Wright from a height of only several inches.

GraniteCityDon

• Getbig IV
« Reply #79 on: February 09, 2014, 09:51:11 AM »
In Maeda's defence he looks like hes trying to wrestle and Andre isnt interested. Obviously highly intoxicated and severely immobile, physically he was a wreck. A prime Andre would have mauled him, he had ample opportunity to badly hurt him and didnt pull the trigger for whatever reason.

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #80 on: February 09, 2014, 08:44:13 PM »
Andre was 40 at the time; Maeda, 27.

As Stephanie MacMahon recently reminded the Big Show that giants don't live as long as regular people, and taking into account Andre's lifestyle, 40 for him would be about 50+ for a regular person.

Karl Kox

• Getbig V
  • There's no Kayfabe in the business anymore.
« Reply #81 on: February 10, 2014, 12:31:40 AM »

As Stephanie MacMahon recently reminded the Big Show that giants don't live as long as regular people, and taking into account Andre's lifestyle, 40 for him would be about 50+ for a regular person.

Even though he was 40 to me he he looked like he was in better shape when he had his run with Hogan. Y'all agree?

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #82 on: February 10, 2014, 01:54:31 AM »

It's hard to say. Andre, Wight, and Gino Monsoon all had the same condition, which I believe affects the pituitary gland. Andre's was never treated. Gorilla received some treatment and lived much longer. Of the three, Show has access to the most advanced care, and so should be the safest - all things equal.

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #83 on: February 10, 2014, 07:48:40 AM »
Even though he was 40 to me he he looked like he was in better shape when he had his run with Hogan. Y'all agree?

The match with Hogan took place a year later and Andre looked much heavier and slower. Big guys tend to go downhill fast.

Andre was a big wine drinker. From what I've heard, he would down bottles of wine like they were bottles of soda.