Author Topic: The static strength of elite powerlifters is unhuman  (Read 7967 times)

Obvious Gimmick

• Getbig V
  • I'd hit it
Re: The static strength of elite powerlifters is unhuman
« Reply #50 on: February 02, 2014, 01:06:40 PM »
I used to train with Meeker years ago.  He has a gym here in Houston.

I've seen him bench low 600's RAW.

He's a funny guy and helps a lot of new guys in the game.  My first few equipped meets he taught me how to rotate the sleeves on the bench shirt to get more drive.

He drove a Geo Metro years ago and used to get under the rear bumper and try to press it off the ground.  He drove that Metro just for kicks because he could barely fit in it and thought it was funny.

Cool guy and strong as fuck.

I saw him and Scott mendelson Busting each others balls at a meet. Both seemed like good dudes, cannot image him fitting in a metro  :)

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #51 on: February 02, 2014, 01:11:01 PM »
What is the origin of equipment ie shirts in competitive benching?  Like when the first ones came out, what were they intended for?

Benching 1000 lbs is super-impressive no matter what kind of shirt you're wearing but it just seems like an odd direction for the sport to have branched into.

Late 70's, like 78 or so for squat suits. The Zangas Marathon suits. Bench shirts came out early 1984 or a tiny bit earlier.  Originally they were to keep the joints warm and provide a bit of support in the shoulder joint, etc.... And yes it was know that the suits gave you carry over, but it was accepted, because the carry overs were tiny and the benefits were decent, especially for older lifters that were a bit tore up.

Slowly it just grew, a ply here, a ply there. A new material, a new cut etc....

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #52 on: February 02, 2014, 02:44:39 PM »
hm why dont they just lift what they realy can lift.
? ???

whats next will they allow the use of cranes to assist the lifts?

::)

Fucking hater! Pay some respect to these fatasses who're willing to kill themselves to win the potato plastics.