Author Topic: Does adult life always keep finding new ways of sucking.  (Read 3844 times)

Wolfox

• Getbig V
Re: Does adult life always keep finding new ways of sucking.
« Reply #50 on: February 10, 2014, 09:22:01 PM »
You don't have to be religious to appreciate things like this. If anyone lives near a bahai temple, I'd recommend visiting. It's an incredibly peaceful place.

A sauna can do the trick, too. :)

This is true.

A

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
  • Rhetoric is the art of ruling the minds of men.
« Reply #51 on: February 10, 2014, 09:26:25 PM »
The following are some of the reasons 'Chemical In-balance' theory has become so prevalent.

** People prefer a 'physical disease' label rather than a 'Mental Illness' tag.  If depression has a physical cause then it isn't necessarily a "Mental Illness", thereby removing the stigma.

** Medical insurers are primarily concerned with cost, and they want to discourage treatments (such as psychotherapy) that may involve many contact hours and considerable expense. Their control over payment schedules enables insurance companies to shift treatment toward drugs and away from psychotherapy.

** The motivation of the pharmaceutical companies should be fairly obvious. As mentioned previously, the market for antidepressant drugs is now $12 billion. All publicly traded for-profit companies are required by law to increase the value of their investor’s stock. Perhaps it goes without saying, but it is a simple fact that pharmaceutical companies will do anything they legally (and sometimes illegally) can to maximize revenues.

** The motivation of psychiatrists to accept the chemical imbalance theory is somewhat more subtle. Starting around 1930, psychiatrists became increasingly aware of growing competition from nonmedical therapists such as psychologists, social workers and counselors. Because of this, psychiatrists have been attracted to physical treatments like drugs and electroshock therapy that differentiate them from nonmedical practitioners. Psychiatry may be the least respected medical specialty (U.S. General Accounting Office report). Many Americans rejected Fruedian talk therapy as quackery, and the whole field of psychiatry lacks the quality of research (randomized, placebo-controlled, double-blind experiments) that serves as the gold-standard in other branches of medicine.

Of course there are also many “benefits” to going along with the conventional “chemical imbalance” theory, such as free dinners, symphony tickets, and trips to the Caribbean; consultancy fees, honoraria and stock options from the pharmaceutical companies; and a much larger, growing private practice as the $20 billion spent by drug companies on advertising brings patients to the office. Psychiatrists are just human, like the rest of us, and not many of them can resist all of these benefits.
V

TEH boob

• Getbig IV
« Reply #52 on: February 10, 2014, 09:29:24 PM »
Okay, let's look at things a different way. Let's say chemical imbalances are bullshit.

You eat well, you exercise, you go to talk therapy...but something still doesn't feel right, and it's to the point that it's ruining your personal relationships and ability to perform at work. Is it a bad idea to get medicated?

Also, "imbalance" is a problematic word...it's a slippery slope to call things "normal" or "balanced"

BikiniSlut

• Getbig V
  • I'm dating and love Uncle Junior! Xoxoxo
« Reply #53 on: February 10, 2014, 09:30:38 PM »
E - Kul...

Google Scholar...

Chemical Imbalances Depression......or similar terms.

Hundreds of articles will come up supporting all points of view.....mine and yours.

I personally think chemical depression is very real. You don't. It is what it is. Deal with it.

BikiniSlut

• Getbig V
« Reply #54 on: February 10, 2014, 09:33:04 PM »
Okay, let's look at things a different way. Let's say chemical imbalances are bullshit.

You eat well, you exercise, you go to talk therapy...but something still doesn't feel right, and it's to the point that it's ruining your personal relationships and ability to perform at work. Is it a bad idea to get medicated?

Also, "imbalance" is a problematic word...it's a slippery slope to call things "normal" or "balanced"

I did everything "right". I even went to my university pastor and university counsellor before I told my boyfriend and doctor.

I honestly wish everybody could experience it. I'm ashamed that I used to judge people with depression.

And I'm so thankful I don't currently need meds, although if I did I wouldn't hesitate to go back on them.

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
« Reply #55 on: February 10, 2014, 09:36:36 PM »

I think it's simply personal choice.  If you feel better using drugs and are happy to tolerate any side effects than by all means, do it.  Everybody is individual, and to suggest that there is one cause to depression is lunacy.  During the days of slavery, some slaves where quite happy to be enslaved and others driven insane by such a circumstance.  Same as today,some people are quite happy to go to work and rent their lives out to the Elites, as long as they have some food, entertainment and somewhere to sleep, for them all is good.  other people find such an environment intolerable, and seek to medicate using wither drugs, alcohol or modern pharmaceuticals.

And like I said before, it discounts the role depression play in a human life, it assumes that depression is worthless and adds no value to life overall.  It would be too long to go into here, but one could argue countless philosophical benefits derived from a bout of depression.  Their is an assumption that happiness is more beneficial than depression, I don't think this is true.  Both feeling states have their pros and cons.
V

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
« Reply #56 on: February 10, 2014, 09:38:45 PM »
I did everything "right". I even went to my university pastor and university counsellor before I told my boyfriend and doctor.

I honestly wish everybody could experience it. I'm ashamed that I used to judge people with depression.

And I'm so thankful I don't currently need meds, although if I did I wouldn't hesitate to go back on them.
Did your chemical imbalance just suddenly correct itself?
V

BikiniSlut

• Getbig V
« Reply #57 on: February 10, 2014, 09:40:01 PM »
Did your chemical imbalance just suddenly correct itself?

Could you go at least READ my original post before you comment.  ::)

I was actually pretty detailed.

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
« Reply #58 on: February 10, 2014, 09:45:41 PM »
Could you go at least READ my original post before you comment.  ::)

I was actually pretty detailed.
I did, it mentions nothing about the disappearance of your initial chemical imbalance.  You state you suddenly developed a chemical imbalance for no reason, took some anti-depressants for several years and then, viola, no chemical imbalance anymore.  Are chemical imbalances something that just mysteriously appear and disappear?  Is it just like a cold, a temporary condition that will disappear of it's own accord?
V

BikiniSlut

• Getbig V
« Reply #59 on: February 10, 2014, 09:48:51 PM »
I did, it mentions nothing about the disappearance of your initial chemical imbalance.  You state you suddenly developed a chemical imbalance for no reason, took some anti-depressants for several years and then, viola, no chemical imbalance anymore.  Are chemical imbalances something that just mysteriously appear and disappear?  Is it just like a cold, a temporary condition that will disappear of it's own accord?

Actually yes. Go read the articles on Scholar.

There are different reasons for their appearance and disappearance.

I suspect mine was due to chemotherapy and radiation treatments previously, but I don't know.

Quit trying to argue with everyone...I've told you where to go find the articles....now read them.

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
« Reply #60 on: February 10, 2014, 10:05:13 PM »
Actually yes. Go read the articles on Scholar.

There are different reasons for their appearance and disappearance.

I suspect mine was due to chemotherapy and radiation treatments previously, but I don't know.

Quit trying to argue with everyone...I've told you where to go find the articles....now read them.
Arguing?  Simply calling you out on your bullshit.  This is the problem, too many people present misinformation as TRUE and then get upset when asked to prove their false assertions.  

There  is no scientifically established ideal “chemical balance” of serotonin, let alone an identifiable pathological imbalance.  With direct proof of serotonin deficiency in any mental disorder lacking, the claimed efficacy of SSRIs is often cited as indirect support for the serotonin hypothesis. Yet,  this ex juvantibus line of reasoning  (i.e., reasoning “backwards” to make assumptions about disease causation  based on the response of the disease to  a treatment) is logically problematic—the  fact that aspirin cures headaches does not prove that headaches are due to low levels of aspirin in the brain.  Serotonin researchers from the US  National Institute of Mental Health  Laboratory of Clinical Science clearly  state, “ The demonstrated efficacy of  selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors… cannot be used as primary evidence for serotonergic dysfunction in the pathophysiology of these disorders” .

Reasoning backwards, from SSRI  efficacy to presumed serotonin  deficiency, is thus highly contested.  The validity of this reasoning becomes even more unlikely when one considers recent studies that even call into question the very efficacy of the  SSRIs. Irving Kirsch and colleagues,  using the Freedom of Information Act, gained access to all clinical trials of antidepressants submitted to the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) by the pharmaceutical companies  for medication approval. When the  published and unpublished trials were  pooled, the placebo duplicated about 80% of the antidepressant response  ; 57% of these pharmaceutical company–funded trials failed to show a statistically significant difference  between antidepressant and inert  placebo .
V

jr

• Getbig V
  • No homo of peace
« Reply #61 on: February 10, 2014, 11:08:12 PM »
Some depression is cause by negative thinking repeated over and over in ones mind which generates negative emotions.

Some depression is cause by a diet lacking in important nutrients, such as omega 3 fats, megnesium, vitamin d, etc which causes the body/brain to not function optimally due to lack of substrates for the chemical reactions and processes within the body.

Some depression is due to some diseases such as multiple sclerosis, or direct brain injuries which affect the structure and function of the brain

Some depression is due to lack of exercise, the sedentary lifestyle.

Some depression is due to shitty brain genetics, notice how brain disorders such as schizophrenia etc run in families.

As far a chemical imbalances, this could mean too much or too little neurotransmitters in certain parts of the brain. Depression can be induced in anyone by getting addicted to certain drugs and then going through withdrawal. Neurotransmitters are depleted and receptors are down regulated which simulates depression.

MikMaq

« Reply #62 on: February 11, 2014, 04:43:06 PM »
For the record, I have aspergers so it's an automatic assumption my brains completely out of wack, that being said drugs tend to fuck things up even worst because even if the fuel line is full of gas someone has to push the gas pedal.

Anyhow I think I have  little choice in having a understanding of depression and other related unpleasantries of being alive. But that's not exactly what I mean.

I guess to go back to my original point it's does one have to keep lowering their standards as a part of adult life. It seems like I have to keep lowering them lower and lower each year in order to be at peace with things.

As much as I'm happy with my life it bothers me that on the long term one eventually lowers their standards to a depth that even dieing seems acceptable.

BikiniSlut

• Getbig V
« Reply #63 on: February 11, 2014, 04:45:17 PM »
I don't understand what you mean by "lowering" your standards? ???

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #64 on: February 11, 2014, 04:59:40 PM »
E - Kul...

Google Scholar...

Chemical Imbalances Depression......or similar terms.

Hundreds of articles will come up supporting all points of view.....mine and yours.

I personally think chemical depression is very real. You don't. It is what it is. Deal with it.
Have you asked yourself, "why is everybody depressed?"
Sure, we all get depressed from time to time...but, have you ever thought that in our culture we are constantly bombarded and marketed that everybody must be happy 24/7? When you look on Facebook you see everybody going on trips, dinners, and all smiley face. They advertise cars, and other materialistic goods to you, and if you don't have it, then you are "not happy". If a man is not hooking up with multiple 10/10 women, then he is not a happy. If a woman does not look like the women in Cosmopolitan then she is not a 10/10 or desirable, so she is "not happy".
All the food ads say this or that food will make you happy. If you get this job, it will make you happy.
If you look at TV commercials for going back to school they start off with "are you not happy?"
Everything is geared towards external happiness, but not internal happiness---spiritual happiness.

We have created our own societal and national depression thru our own marketing which fueled by corp greed.
And greed itself, stems from a need to satisfy our happiness.

BikiniSlut

• Getbig V
« Reply #65 on: February 11, 2014, 05:04:13 PM »
Of course culture/environment/society plays a HUGE role in depression.

However not all depression is due to that. Most? Probably....I won't argue that. But definitely not all.

I personally think mine was 100 % chemical imbalance.....like I said....I pretty much had the perfect life.

Unfortunately this IS our society and people deal with it how they feel fit. There's a lot of emphasis on "comparison". We compare wages, status, bodies, jobs, job titles, etc. I think that really drives many to stress. We are not happy as is.....we always look at everyone else and think "the grass is greener".

MikMaq

« Reply #66 on: February 11, 2014, 05:13:20 PM »
Have you asked yourself, "why is everybody depressed?"
Sure, we all get depressed from time to time...but, have you ever thought that in our culture we are constantly bombarded and marketed that everybody must be happy 24/7? When you look on Facebook you see everybody going on trips, dinners, and all smiley face. They advertise cars, and other materialistic goods to you, and if you don't have it, then you are "not happy". If a man is not hooking up with multiple 10/10 women, then he is not a happy. If a woman does not look like the women in Cosmopolitan then she is not a 10/10 or desirable, so she is "not happy".
All the food ads say this or that food will make you happy. If you get this job, it will make you happy.
If you look at TV commercials for going back to school they start off with "are you not happy?"
Everything is geared towards external happiness, but not internal happiness---spiritual happiness.

We have created our own societal and national depression thru our own marketing which fueled by corp greed.
And greed itself, stems from a need to satisfy our happiness.

I'd agree that modern society has geared people to be overly emotional in their view of the world.

But before all that I think people were miserable too.

Of course I think high stress lifestyles are a major reason why many modern humans don't feel so well.

But in general the human condition, or the human brain is conditioned to deal with a great deal of misery and when your life is void of it, your brain must create it to keep things in balance.

In short human emotions have a large amount of archaic prehistoric baggage kicking around that far too many people ignore.

But I'm not even talking about the emotional side of things but more so the logical side of things. Which is with each and every year you end up with so much less to work with. opportunities disappear, women get older, your body gets weaker etc.  In fact I think half the reason people generally get happier as they get older is because they're forced to use what they got by simple logistics.

Wolfox

• Getbig V
« Reply #67 on: February 11, 2014, 05:18:06 PM »
You're not special. You're not your fucking chinos. You're not your benchpress or your biceps.

You need to accept that we're nothing more than a tiny little cogwheel in the great machine of life. Our significance here on this earth - in this solar system, in this galaxy, in this universe - is like that of a single grain of sand in a vast beach. Our accomplishments, victories, defeats, problems etc... like tears forever lost in rain.

You're not special. You're not your fucking chinos. You're not your benchpress or your biceps. You're a fucking tiny little cogwheel - at best.
A

thebrink

• Getbig V
« Reply #68 on: February 11, 2014, 05:18:11 PM »
You just need a little money to lighten up is all, go rob a bank.

thebrink

• Getbig V
« Reply #69 on: February 11, 2014, 05:24:08 PM »
You're not special. You're not you're fucking chinos. You're not your benchpress or your biceps.

You need to accept that we're nothing more than a tiny little cogwheel in the great machine of life. Our significance here on this earth - in this solar system, in this galaxy, in this universe - is like that of a single grain of sand in a vast beach. Our accomplishments, victories, defeats, problems etc... like tears forever lost in rain.

You're not special. You're not you're fucking chinos. You're not your benchpress or your biceps. You're a fucking tiny little cogwheel.

"We're just insignificant little specks you and me. We're not gonna change the world, we're not gonna win the war, and nobodys gonna care when we die... Which many signified that you should bite and snarl, and play the dog, like me."

-Shakespeare

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #70 on: February 11, 2014, 05:28:05 PM »
Like someone said earlier, when we die nobody is going to give a shit a week later. I find this very true. People need to get on with their lives and they do.

Wolfox

• Getbig V
« Reply #71 on: February 11, 2014, 05:33:20 PM »
You're not special. You're not your fucking chinos. You're not your benchpress or your biceps.

You're not special. You're not you're fucking chinos. You're not your benchpress or your biceps. You're a fucking tiny little cogwheel - at best.

Basically, its ALL insignificant in the grandest of schemes.

When you accept this philosophy, you will either a) blow your brains out or b) learn to look past the bullshit that makes life suck and instead focus on the things that matter to you and that you give meaning to. Be it 18 inch arms, writing epic tragedies, fucking random bitches, being 240lbs , or simply raising a family.

A

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #72 on: February 11, 2014, 09:47:42 PM »
 I would cry nightly but I'm too numb.

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
« Reply #73 on: February 11, 2014, 11:08:42 PM »

You're not special. You're not you're fucking chinos. You're not your benchpress or your biceps. You're a fucking tiny little cogwheel - at best.

Basically, its ALL insignificant in the grandest of schemes.

When you accept this philosophy, you will either a) blow your brains out or b) learn to look past the bullshit that makes life suck and instead focus on the things that matter to you and that you give meaning to. Be it 18 inch arms, writing epic tragedies, fucking random bitches, being 240lbs , or simply raising a family.

Classic.  Wolfox responding to his own posts.  lol
V