Author Topic: Jum box training is it safe ?  (Read 4927 times)

kofo

• Getbig II
Jum box training is it safe ?
« on: May 09, 2014, 06:03:09 AM »

It seems to me that this excercise puts a strainious stress on the body.

Probably wery good for a top athlete, but what about an average guy ?

Should it be avoided by those aged 40+ ?

Any 2 cents welcome.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
Re: Jum box training is it safe ?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2014, 11:07:48 AM »
Some BB'ers have trouble walking and chewing gum at the same time...even a few of the Pro's (seen this myself) so if your one of these...than no, noy safe.

If your normal, or even less than normal..should have no trouble with these platform jumps. Women do them all the time, in training.

Good Luck.
F

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2014, 01:15:07 PM »
There is a risk of injury in any athletic pursuit. Jumping is excellent for developing power that is a most important attribute for athletics. I wouldn't take a slug who doesn't work out and ask him to jump up on a high box. Progression is the key.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2014, 04:14:02 PM »
what's really good for this type of exercise, i used to use a large rock in the backyard  over 4 ft high to do this, thought i was pretty good till i saw some kid at work doing over 5 ft up and down at a loading dock like it was nothing.???????
F

Dicki_Nurmom

• Getbig II
  • FILT RULES!
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2014, 04:50:11 AM »
i have a jump box and i do 2 plyo workouts weekly... of course i do not consider myself to be a 'bodybuilder'... more like a healthy athletic person...

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2014, 08:41:52 AM »
Believe that Russia, and other former eastern block country's, started the use of this type of jumping to develop quickness in the overhead snatch and cleans. They worked up to adding weight to the jumps. Most all track athletes, and other sports, use jumps in one form or another. Some one legged at a time.

There are also stationary jumps, where a bar (or a pole, broom handle, PVC, etc) is held in front of the body (arms length) and you jump over the bar and land with the bar behind your back. Than from that position, another over the bar jump(reverse) is done with the bar winding up in front of the you again, the original starting position.

Platform/boxes/over the bar jumps also hit the total abs very, very strongly. Those bars could be loaded to over 100+ easily.   Good Luck.
F

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2014, 08:14:43 PM »

It seems to me that this excercise puts a strainious stress on the body.

Probably wery good for a top athlete, but what about an average guy ?

Should it be avoided by those aged 40+ ?

Any 2 cents welcome.
I do them at the end of leg day, I'm 40 and 270#'s.
Perfectly fine.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Mike

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2014, 09:51:39 AM »
As usual JPM nailed it....the Russians have been doing these for decades!

When I was carrying a bit of extra weight these were a little difficult but a great calorie burner.

Suggestion: be careful doing them directly after squatting! 
7 years ago (when I was more active on this board) I bit-it trying to do multiple jumps onto a ridiculously high box (ridiculous for me....like waist high).   Still bear the scars

jamesjenkinsfitness

• Getbig II
  • instagram @jamesjenkinsfitness
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2014, 11:38:00 AM »
Most of the time you see people jump up and then back down, repeat. Try lining a few boxes up. Descending from one to the ground then exploding to the next one. It's ballistic training. 
i