Author Topic: Bruce Lee's short bulking phase  (Read 24706 times)

FREAKgeek

• Getbig V
  • Fan of the Golden Era
Re: Bruce Lee's short bulking phase
« Reply #75 on: January 15, 2006, 05:39:10 PM »
Mansonvier made a good point. I don't think he meant that it's all about strength, but it IS a significant factor.

Fighting, i.e physically subduing someone is a SKILL. Lifting weights will not make you a better fighter, but will make you stronger, and being stronger and better fit will help you carry out or better enforce your fighting skills. You need to practice fighting to become a better fighter.

Look at the case with Royce Gracie. Back then he took everyone out regardless of weight class. Fighting is clearly a skill. BUT, when fighters learned and caught on to his technique, he could not take on guys 20 and more lbs of muscle over him. That's why he refused to rematch against Shamrock, as Shamrock simply overpowered him in size and strength. The Gracie camp DEMANDED Shamrock to drop weight or no rematch. SHamrock refused.

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #76 on: January 15, 2006, 05:42:48 PM »
You want to talk about skill. During the Hornet show Bruce would jump up in the air and do a round house kick to the extras heads. He would touch their ears with the tip of his foot. Unfortunately one of the extras' turned once and got his jaw broken by that kick.
just push some weight!

meatmonkey

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #77 on: January 15, 2006, 06:16:58 PM »
Size CAN matter in a fight between 2 well skilled opponents...

On the other hand, a 150 pound Oscar De La Hoya would absolutely beat the shit out of the biggest guy on this site.

A 175 pound Matt Hughes would murder anyone on this sites family then shit on your face

Just a couple examples...there are many more just like them

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
« Reply #78 on: January 15, 2006, 06:22:20 PM »
Size CAN matter in a fight between 2 well skilled opponents...

On the other hand, a 150 pound Oscar De La Hoya would absolutely beat the shit out of the biggest guy on this site.

A 175 pound Matt Hughes would murder anyone on this sites family then shit on your face

Just a couple examples...there are many more just like them
thats pretty much what im saying

Eric2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #79 on: January 15, 2006, 08:24:50 PM »
   Bruce Lee was a showman, not a real fighter. My friends father took lesson's from Bruce at the University of Washington in Seattle back in the 1960's.
   He said that he was fast and really cocky arrogant.
h

gibberj2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #80 on: January 16, 2006, 03:07:41 AM »
i wonder when this board will stop with the bruce lee stuff. in enter the dragon bruce lee was very light. he barely ate and was exhausted all the time. and those who say he can't fight just don't have a clue. he had power, speed and skill. just with his boxing skill and speed alone he's one of the best.

EL Mariachi

• Getbig V
« Reply #81 on: November 15, 2007, 03:09:16 PM »
he was a skinny geek who wouldn't have had a chance in a street fight.

i call bullshit, he would brake your legs with a kick to your knee's in less then a second fatty.

Sir William Idol

• Getbig IV
  • you got a fight comin
« Reply #82 on: November 15, 2007, 03:29:50 PM »
i call bullshit, he would brake your legs with a kick to your knee's in less then a second fatty.

your spelling is fucking atrocious, pick up a god damn dictionary kid
its comin today

EL Mariachi

• Getbig V
« Reply #83 on: November 15, 2007, 03:31:28 PM »
your spelling is fucking atrocious, pick up a god damn dictionary kid

i use my english dictionary to perform Dictionary calf raises.

Stu

• Getbig IV
  • Faggotry˛
« Reply #84 on: November 15, 2007, 03:35:59 PM »
Why the fuck would you bring up a thread that is damn near 2 years old?

EL Mariachi

• Getbig V
« Reply #85 on: November 15, 2007, 03:36:55 PM »
Why the fuck would you bring up a thread that is damn near 2 years old?

whats the difference?

Stu

• Getbig IV
  • Faggotry˛
« Reply #86 on: November 15, 2007, 03:38:46 PM »
what is the difference? this makes no sense in relation to my statement

EL Mariachi

• Getbig V
« Reply #87 on: November 15, 2007, 03:40:57 PM »
what is the difference? this makes no sense in relation to my statement

Is there a problem Stu?

Stu

• Getbig IV
  • Faggotry˛
« Reply #88 on: November 15, 2007, 03:42:20 PM »
Is there a problem Stu?

why yes, yes there is!

>:(

jetcity

• Getbig II
« Reply #89 on: November 15, 2007, 04:08:10 PM »
Do chinks really idiolize his skinny ass?

Bruce Lee was %75 Chinese and %25 German.

ConanCarl

• Getbig II
  • CD
« Reply #90 on: November 15, 2007, 04:30:01 PM »
Your aware the martial arts he studied wouldn't work in a real fight, correct?
How incorrect you are-Wing Chun is effective in a street fight-and thats not the only art Ive studied

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #91 on: November 15, 2007, 04:35:35 PM »
Didn't Bruce Lee pass away because someone performed a Dimm Mak on him?
I've never seen any footage where the "technique" is proven to work -> like DimmMak'ing an animal and then watching it "fade away" within days.

Andre Nickatina

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #92 on: November 15, 2007, 04:48:59 PM »
If yoda was a human he'd be Bruce Lee.

americanbulldog

• Getbig IV
« Reply #93 on: November 15, 2007, 05:14:47 PM »
Ummm, he never studied wrestling, boxing, BJJ etc.

He wouldn't know how to defend a takedown, how to throw a proper punch and how to defend against submissions.

Back in the day he might have been something special, but it's a fact he doesn't know how to fight. All the crap he did was lame ass showy shit made for movies.

Almost as gay as those fags who do shit like wing-chun.

Wrong.  He studied judo when he first arrived in Seattle.  He also trained with Hayward Nishioka, Pan Am Gold medalist in Judo.  He also trained with Gene LeBell in judo, grappling and wrestling.  Prior to his death, he was moving away from Gung Fu, and more toward boxing, wrestling.  He was quoted in "Fighting Stars" (forerunner to black belt) that a man with one year boxing and wrestling experience would beat 99% of most black belts.  He bought every book he could find on boxing, had many a boxer in his Chinatown LA school including my Sifu Richard Bustillo.  (A golden gloves champ from Oahu, whom Bruce would routinely beat the snot out of)  Guro Dan Inosanto was a judo black belt, kempo black belt, did boxing as well as Kali, Bruce would spar with just about ANY top martial artist of his day, and would beat most of them handily.  I have heard this from Guro Dan, Sifu Richard, the late Sifu Larry Hartsell, as well as from the late Ed Parker. 

His only formal instruction was from Yip Man, in Hong Kong.  Again, toward the end of his evolution, he had gotten away from chi sau, and was sparring full contact, using focus mitts, thai pads, and kicking shields.  As a former Wing Chun instructor myself, I have followed a nearly identical path as Bruce.  No more WC, only BJJ, sub grappling, boxing, muay thai and greco. 

americanbulldog

• Getbig IV
« Reply #94 on: November 15, 2007, 05:18:22 PM »
Speaking of the autopsy, what you guys think about the untimely death of his son. Bruce at 33? his son at 28? could it be that the ninjas got to them ??? They where holding a gruge against him for teaching to the westerners and for kicking some ninja ass!!

More like the triads, whom Bruce told to f*ck off when he formed his own production company with Raymond Chow and refused to pay royaltys to.  Funny, the guy dies of an overdose of an item that he had an allergic reaction to just three months prior that necessitated him coming back to the US (UCLA medical center) and nearly killed him then.  Betty Ting Pei, the actress with whom he was "studying lines" with was the one who administered the "medication." 

americanbulldog

• Getbig IV
« Reply #95 on: November 15, 2007, 05:21:14 PM »

Bruce Lee admitted himself many times that Chuck Norris would have killed him.

Wrong, never happened.  Chuck was a student of Bruce's.  As was Mike Stone, Joe Lewis.  All of them would later not admit to being trained by Bruce after Bruce's death (and when Bruce was popular), but rather admitted that they trained WITH Bruce instead.  Joe Lewis is the only one who will admit he was a student of Bruce's.  The Lee Estate has some great footage of backyard sparring sessions that included Mike Stone, Chuck Norris, Bob Wall, Joe Lewis, Kareem Abdul Jabbar. 

americanbulldog

• Getbig IV
« Reply #96 on: November 15, 2007, 05:23:41 PM »
LMAO you guys are dumbasses! Lee benched 365lbs and would destroy anyone on this board, apart from me of course as id shoot him with my glock if he gave me any shit. >:(

A tad bit exaggerated to say the least. 

Eric2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #97 on: November 15, 2007, 05:25:55 PM »
Chuck Norris could have wiped his ass with Bruce Lee.
h

americanbulldog

• Getbig IV
« Reply #98 on: November 15, 2007, 05:30:18 PM »
Bullshit.Never happened.

This is about 5% correct, he indeed fought a guy who opposed Bruce teaching the 'eastern' ways, but by Bruce's own admission, all his wing chun training went out the window once his instincts took over and the fight turned in to a friday night outside the bar swingfest.The fight was ugly and both fighters tired out completely within a couple of minutes.

Bruce did fight a Karateka while in Seattle.  Jesse Glover and Taky Kimura were eye witnesses.  He beat him soundly.  The fight you are referring to was Wong Jack Man.  Bruce chased Wong using a Jik Jeung Chiu (straight blast) hitting him in the back of the head until finally catching him, mounting him and finishing him with punches from the mount.  Linda Lee Caldwell was present, as was Al Dacoscos (Mark Dacoscos father, and founder of Won Hop Kuen Do).  Both have elaborated the same story.  Recently, Wong is claiming he beat Lee, which has been refuted by others in Lee's camp who were there.  Bruce continued teaching in Oakland, so that settles that. 

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #99 on: November 15, 2007, 05:37:28 PM »
Bruce, after chasing the dragon.   :D

[/img]http://www.efesbe.com/images/filthychoice/BruceBlogs1.jpg[/img]
a