Author Topic: Zane versus Layne.  (Read 25116 times)

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
Re: Zane versus Layne.
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2006, 10:40:25 AM »
That last pic is photoshopped.

thanks for pointing it out to us, we would've never have guessed ;) I though that was zane at 60 competing at the olympia
just push some weight!

flexfan

• Getbig IV
  • Venice Versmilitude
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2006, 10:50:23 AM »
Got to say Zane he was ripped

for his time he was. Not compared to today's standards tho
Sultan

Mr. Intenseone

« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2006, 10:54:21 AM »
for his time he was. Not compared to today's standards tho

By todays standards he's not as big...but definatly more ripped!

Gord

• Getbig IV
  • Smile when you say that
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2006, 11:04:17 AM »
That last pic is photoshopped.

Looking at it more closely, you're right.

Zane posing with Franco in 1974.

Lies, damn lies and diets

w8tlftr

• Getbig V
  • I ♥ ( o Y o )
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2006, 11:10:42 AM »
This thread is a joke. Zane was one of the best of all time and represents an era before GH bellies and oversized freakazoids.

To compare him to Layne is just laughable.

flexfan

• Getbig IV
  • Venice Versmilitude
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2006, 03:16:02 PM »
By todays standards he's not as big...but definatly more ripped!

What? The guys in the '90s and the top guys now are definitely more ripped. You mean to tell mean Zane was more ripped than Dex Jackson or Darrem Charles?
Sultan

GMCtrk

« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2006, 03:19:31 PM »

disco_stu

• Getbig V
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2006, 03:31:55 PM »
all you morons satying zane was this and that need schooling in history, judging and presentation in physique.

from now on any of you guys that write a post on any subject here gets zero credibility becuase its obvious that you dont have a clue about BB and even less respect for it's evolution and it's champions.

zane went comparison by comparison, head to head, toe to toe, routine to routine against the top guys of his era and beat them....the judging at the time wanted Zane's physique..polished, proportioned, muscular, balanced. The guys he competed against may have been bigger but lacked in certain areas, or their balance wasnt right...so, he wins.

those tossers who say zane was small have no idea...he looks small next to a gorilla...i suppose Lee Labrada was small?...yeah right...

and as far as him having a swimmer's physique..show me a swimmer with zane's physique?...show me a sprinter with that physique?, show me a wide receiver or a running back with that physique...show me a national level competitor with the balance, proportions, separations, presentation, mass etc for his class...

comparing to today is nonesense...why dont we flame dickerson and columbu?...heck, even bannout?...rich gaspari, the challenger for years could be argued as average by some standards today...look at demay's legs...Bob Paris wasnt ''huge'' by todays standards either...i could go on and on.

Pearl defined the modern BB, Sergio made it a freak show, Arnold revolutionised it and made it an art form, Zane re calibrated it, Columbu misaligned it, Dickerson came in on the day, so did Bannout, Haney brought it back, Yates set the new standardand brought the field up, Coleman brought it all together...

So he has his place for sure...im sick of this crap about Zane...

later.

disco_stu

• Getbig V
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2006, 03:36:33 PM »
Looking at it more closely, you're right.

Zane posing with Franco in 1974.

Franco ''huge thick and dense BB according to many'' being matched for mass and owned overall by the ''swimmer ::)''...

how zane didnt win more mr.o's is mind boggling.

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2006, 03:50:41 PM »
zane was a great bodybuilder imo,he wasnt as small as alot of people are making him out to be,my buddy saw him in cali in the late 70,s and he said zane was pretty damn huge.arnold also said that zane was just as strong as him and yet weighed alot less then arnold
R

flexfan

• Getbig IV
  • Venice Versmilitude
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2006, 05:05:19 PM »
all you morons satying zane was this and that need schooling in history, judging and presentation in physique.

from now on any of you guys that write a post on any subject here gets zero credibility becuase its obvious that you dont have a clue about BB and even less respect for it's evolution and it's champions.

zane went comparison by comparison, head to head, toe to toe, routine to routine against the top guys of his era and beat them....the judging at the time wanted Zane's physique..polished, proportioned, muscular, balanced. The guys he competed against may have been bigger but lacked in certain areas, or their balance wasnt right...so, he wins.

those tossers who say zane was small have no idea...he looks small next to a gorilla...i suppose Lee Labrada was small?...yeah right...

and as far as him having a swimmer's physique..show me a swimmer with zane's physique?...show me a sprinter with that physique?, show me a wide receiver or a running back with that physique...show me a national level competitor with the balance, proportions, separations, presentation, mass etc for his class...

comparing to today is nonesense...why dont we flame dickerson and columbu?...heck, even bannout?...rich gaspari, the challenger for years could be argued as average by some standards today...look at demay's legs...Bob Paris wasnt ''huge'' by todays standards either...i could go on and on.

Pearl defined the modern BB, Sergio made it a freak show, Arnold revolutionised it and made it an art form, Zane re calibrated it, Columbu misaligned it, Dickerson came in on the day, so did Bannout, Haney brought it back, Yates set the new standardand brought the field up, Coleman brought it all together...

later.

relax. you have your opinion. others, like me, don't like zane's physique. bertil fox, robby robinson, serge nubret, tom platz- all were far better bbs than zane imo.
Sultan

Bast000

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Team Malk-Gallon
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2006, 05:30:07 PM »
Yea Zane did not have a lot of muscle but he made the most of it.  Good V-taper, conditioning.. and imagine Ronnie doing this pose..

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2006, 06:32:09 PM »
A lot of people give Zane no credit but I think he was one of the best ever certainly one of my all time favorites.

Borracho

• Getbig V
  • Waking up is possible if ur tired of the dream....
« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2006, 07:41:29 PM »

later.

Meltdown

Gord

• Getbig IV
  • Smile when you say that
« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2006, 08:00:50 PM »
Another shot, courtesy of DeepArchive on IronAge board.

Lies, damn lies and diets

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2006, 08:10:25 PM »
totally off base to compare a former mr o to this kid who will never look or compete in same league as zane.zane has competed and trained for over 40 year's give him his due and not insult his legacy.

Borracho

• Getbig V
  • Waking up is possible if ur tired of the dream....
« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2006, 09:12:23 PM »
I can't believe you're still comparing these two. I think Zane sucked but that other guy is 10 times worse. He should consider steroids.

Onondaga

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2006, 09:21:18 PM »
Matt C, put down the crack pipe.

rocket

• Getbig V
  • Not a champion
« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2006, 10:01:43 PM »
This is the most creative way to hate on Frank Zane I've ever seen ..

Congrats ;D

flexfan

• Getbig IV
  • Venice Versmilitude
« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2006, 10:37:48 PM »
This is the most creative way to hate on Frank Zane I've ever seen ..

Congrats ;D

Yeah, I admire it too  ;D
Sultan

Bast000

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Team Malk-Gallon
« Reply #45 on: January 16, 2006, 10:46:55 PM »
I think it is called an "objective fact" to point out that Zane and Layne are roughly the same physical size.

There is no way that they are the same height.  Zane is shorter.  Also they have completely different bone structure so your point that they weigh the same is irrelevant.

rocket

• Getbig V
  • Not a champion
« Reply #46 on: January 16, 2006, 10:52:54 PM »
There is no way that they are the same height.  Zane is shorter.  Also they have completely different bone structure so your point that they weigh the same is irrelevant.

I agree with that quite a lot.. norton has a way bigger waist, he looks alot taller than a one inch difference and is nowhere near as shredded.

That condition that zane was in though, he was a lot larger at times.  It wasn't like he didn't choose to be a bit swimmeresque.. he did bring a very size compromised ripped package.  I don't really dig it and its easy to criticise when you've got a guy like norton pictured next to him but what this is really about is having to grudgingly give layne norton some props which just about anybody here would rather not do ;D

What a terrible dilemna.. giving layne norton credit or hating on zane.  That my friends is a piece of well developed subversion

bigdumbbell

• Getbig V
  • Bon Voyage !
« Reply #47 on: January 17, 2006, 05:31:27 AM »

just curious and i really dont care but
how does this guys resume compare with frank zane?

sinbad

• Getbig III
  • Chest like Arnold!
« Reply #48 on: January 17, 2006, 08:14:39 AM »
In the picture above Zane is probably around 5'9 and 190.  Layne competes at 5'10 / 190.

Zane beats Layne in terms of SHAPE.  Obviously Zane is the superior bodybuilder, I don't think anyone would argue otherwise.  I'm just talking about actual muscle size here.  I don't think it's that much of a stretch to say Layne is pretty comparable to Zane's size.  Don't be wooed by Zane's vacuum.  Standing relaxed in contest condition they are probably a similar size.  And Layne is pretty strong for natural, if indeed he is natural (I have my doubts):

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7741986104118163024&q=%22Layne+Norton+pressing+140+lb+dumbbells+music+video%22+playable%3Atrue

Oh Man, I thought he was going to press that over his head, that would have been impressive.

From a size perspective they may be close, but that is about it. Zane had a very Aesthetically pleasing physique, which is genetic, he then added very dense muscle, which likely improved over time. It was Zane's genetically pleasing structure that made him a stand out in bodybuilding. This other guy will never have that. I give him credit for working hard and building a nice body, but no comparison here.

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #49 on: January 17, 2006, 10:43:03 AM »
I don't get it why does everybody hate this Layne guy?

E
E