Author Topic: Does anyone else here box?  (Read 2154 times)

Swede!!

• Getbig II
Re: Does anyone else here box?
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2014, 09:36:14 AM »
It means 5 wins and 3 losses.

Yes.

I was asking about minutes and rounds in amateur brittish boxing

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2014, 09:36:32 AM »
My dad was a boxer and he taught me how to fight from about 3 years old. He would hold the pads for me and call out combinations. As I got older progressed to the heavy bag, press ups, sit ups and runs. Unfortunately as I reached puberty and my interest in the opposite sex exploded my commitment to boxing took a hit. I still love the sport and follow it avidly but would have trouble fighting sleep now!

that's great to start at such a young age.  I put my kid and a bunch of neices/nephews thru karate classes...  it's so funny to see how they utilize those skills without even thinking about it.  balance, use of hands, blocking when something comes their way.  Really valuable stuff.

Darren Avey

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2014, 09:36:46 AM »
Oh right, 3x2 is what I did.

Swede!!

• Getbig II
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2014, 09:40:24 AM »
Oh right, 3x2 is what I did.

3 rounds 2 min? =)

Im not sure if you always put rounds or min first hehe.

James28

• Getbig V
  • toilet roll of peace
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2014, 10:35:48 AM »
You learn quickly that size means nothing in the ring if you can't fight, seriously you'd last 15 seconds in the ring against me.Thats not e-statting just being real at how difficult it is for someone with no experience.

That's absolutely 100% true for anything anyone does at a fairly competitive level. People look at any sports and the players make it look so comfortable and expertly that everyone is fooled into thinking THEY can also do it. They can't.

Yanin

• Getbig III
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2014, 10:45:45 AM »
I go off and on with a friend who is a boxer. Never spar tho all I do is bet the fuck out the heavy bag and speed bag and other skill developing exercises. Even though I talk alot of shit and am confident in my skills I've never actually have used many skills in an actual fight. If I could give advice to someone looking to learn how to defend themselves I'd say learn to sway, block and throw an overhand.. Basically all you need to win a street fight

SuperTed

• Getbig V
  • Rebirth
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2014, 10:51:25 AM »
Have done some light sparring with a few guys who box in my gym. Never had any proper fights as a amateur or pro though.
Danny Williams and Jimi Manuwa attend my gym occassionally. Seen them practice/spar but never actually sparred with them myself.
I value my health too much. ;D

Cleanest Natural

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Diet first, all else second
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2014, 10:53:45 AM »
I go off and on with a friend who is a boxer. Never spar tho all I do is bet the fuck out the heavy bag and speed bag and other skill developing exercises. Even though I talk alot of shit and am confident in my skills I've never actually have used many skills in an actual fight. If I could give advice to someone looking to learn how to defend themselves I'd say learn to sway, block and throw an overhand.. Basically all you need to win a street fight
My best friend is a former k1 fighter in the Local Kombat circuit. Anyway.. he said that all you think you know you forget the instant you get hit with the first punch ... so what you think you can do in a fight and what would actually happen might be two different things

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2014, 10:56:12 AM »
Five fights in the ring. Four wins and one lost where I was beat like a dog. The loss was my first fight. I came to an epiphany in my short boxing experience. Getting punched hurts and I don't like it.

Darren Avey

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2014, 11:31:11 AM »
Ronnie Kray used to love getting punched so much it used to give him a hard on, more than once he came in the ring while an opponent was beating on him.

snx

• Getbig IV
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2014, 11:58:56 AM »
Jiu Jitsu several times/week. Lots of fun. Love the strategy. Like chess with a human body. Much like boxing...it's chess with your body. Always have a ton of respect for any fighter. Not a lot of money, but it's the neatest thing to watch a combat plan unfold as expected. It's a thing of beauty, in my mind. I never understood why people demonize the violence...it's so much more than that and at the right levels, is never about violence but simply about planning, execution, competition...the best things in sports.

Wrestled in high school and university, which naturally leads to jiu jitsu (if not judo). Wrestling is a younger man's game though...I just couldn't keep up in my 20's as injuries mounted. Strangely, I don't have the same problems with jiu jitsu...my old injuries don't seem to hurt me. Of course, I'm nowhere near the level of competition in jiu jitsu that I was in wrestling...I I were, I'm sure I'd find my old body is even worse and I'd fail miserably.   

Never liked punching or kicking. Hate getting hit in the nose (I bleed like a stuck pig). So I am always in awe of boxers, kick boxers and other striking sports...it amazes me that men tolerate the blows they take. It's awe inspiring to watch a man take a kick to the head, remember his game plan, and continue on.

James28

• Getbig V
  • toilet roll of peace
« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2014, 12:44:35 PM »
I've done a bit of boxing many years ago at a club in East London. Can't remember where exactly. After the fitness training my body was jelly so I couldn't do much in the ring. I was never interested really. Only went because my mate was such a big fan and kept pestering me to check it out. I think I done 3 months before jacking it in. Leaned up something crazy though. In the ring I was more of a defensive boxer. Trying to cover my ass and see the round out without eating canvas  :P

gee38

• Getbig IV
« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2014, 01:27:49 PM »
I boxed as a decent amateur from 11 to 18- then rain stopped play as her majesty took me out the ring. before i went I had toyed with going pro- i sparred with a few journeymen and one top 10 rated british pro and got my arse handed to me- i had a big southpaw left and right hook but telegraphed too much and a decent amateur and more or less any pro could spot it and either get away of walk me onto a counter.

there is a world of difference between a half decent amateur as i was, a decent amateur, a journeyman pro and a top 10 pro fighter.

thats why darren avery your mate will get his arse handed to him the minute he is in with a mobile fighter. he will plod on they will pick him off and he will go 2 rounds swinging for air then walk onto shots

I still think its the most honest sporting endeavour as its you v him in the ring- although the biggest battle is between yourself and your own neurosis and when you learn how that works and how to manage it you learn skills that see you through life

I still hit a bag and skip once a week but more for fun than anything.

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2014, 01:29:59 PM »
Marty Champions

Darren Avey

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2014, 01:33:16 PM »
"Gee38" hes not my mate big boy just a bloke i see at the gym every now and again who ive heard a lot about and seen in action. Do some net reseach and you ll see peple reckon he ll criplle Gay AJ

gee38

• Getbig IV
« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2014, 02:06:26 PM »
'net research'

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

vs olympic gold, world amateurs and unbeaten pro- early 20's

vs 5 fights against bums and 27 years of age

as I say if they meet lets have a grand on it. you on?

gee38

• Getbig IV
« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2014, 02:10:09 PM »
darren

seen him in action?

against who?

anyone can look good on the pads or hitting a heavy bag

he is the uk's kimbo slice without the 'talent'

and you know how limbo did against people who could fight don't you? your bloke will be the same