Author Topic: Foods High in Sugar vs. High in Fat  (Read 4161 times)

littleguns

• Getbig V
Foods High in Sugar vs. High in Fat
« on: January 19, 2006, 12:03:44 PM »
When it comes down to it which would you truly prefer

Too much fat....potential for CV disease, obesity, high cholesterol

Too Much Sugar...potential for Diabetes, obesity

Open forum

Bear03

• Getbig IV
  • back in the swing of things
Re: Foods High in Sugar vs. High in Fat
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2006, 05:20:15 PM »
BOTH  ;D 

Seriously though....If i had to choose between a double bacon cheeseburger or something like fat-free frozen yogurt...that's a tough one.  I tend to have a sweet tooth.  So i think i'd take like FF cookies over something really fatty.
:-)

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2006, 07:31:58 PM »
Peanut butter with sugar 

Yummy
:P
:

Bear03

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2006, 09:03:11 PM »
Peanut butter with sugar 

Yummy

yeah but that's both........and substitutable with splenda in which case its healthy, right?  but Chocolate, that's a different story.....Whoever thought of PB and chocolate deserves a monument.

SupplementGuy

• Getbig III
  • I'm the kind of a person who's the type of dog...
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2006, 09:18:47 PM »
Too much fat....potential for CV disease, obesity, high cholesterol

Too Much Sugar...potential for Diabetes, obesity

Open forum

too much fat does not promote these things in a carb restricted diet, it is the combination of high-fat and high-sugar that raise and skew lipid profiles and triglyceride levels. e.g. omega-3 fats are now being prescribed to LOWER triglycerides and adding fish oils and monounsaturated fats to your diet will normalize your lipid profile. Science continues to prove that a high-fat low-carb or very-low carb diet positively affects lipid profile and triglyceride levels raising good cholesterol and lower bad and overall levels.

and as most readers of this board know simple sugars during and after intensive exercise are not detrimental to your health but instead help insulin reaction and nutrient absorbtion into skeletal muscle tissue.

SG  ::)

newdumbell303

• Getbig II
  • "get serious..."
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2006, 10:25:10 PM »
with my current health I'd probably go with the Sugar. I would probably just follow that meal by going to the gym and lifting or just doing some cardio.

dontknowit

• Getbig III
  • Masino's clit is kidnapped
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2006, 03:36:57 AM »
High in healthy fat.

People have been raised with the idea that fat is bad. But it ain't. It's actually quite healthy. Without carbohydrates(glucose) it's almost impossible to get fat.
With only carbohydrates and no fat, you will become fat, cause the extra energy will be stored as fat.

Bear03

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2006, 07:24:21 AM »
Ummmmm ok i think people are misreading the question.

You're supposed to choose between two nutritional vices, that have been linked to certain health conditions.  You're not supposed to celebrate how healthy you are now- we all know you like junk food.  Now which is it??

buffbodz

• Getbig V
  • It's only a board
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2006, 11:30:50 AM »
I had something pretty good yesterday for breakfast along with 9 egg wights and 1 yoke.  I usually have a whole wheat English muffin with  fake butter spray.  Yesterday I added some cinnamon and a pack of splenda along with the "I can't believe it's not butter" spray and they were really good.  kinda like french toast when dipping with the eggs.  Try it.  No fat, sugar or calories using the 3 toppings.
6 meals lift heavy and 1/2 hr cardio

Bear03

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2006, 02:41:44 PM »
I had something pretty good yesterday for breakfast along with 9 egg wights and 1 yoke.  I usually have a whole wheat English muffin with  fake butter spray.  Yesterday I added some cinnamon and a pack of splenda along with the "I can't believe it's not butter" spray and they were really good.  kinda like french toast when dipping with the eggs.  Try it.  No fat, sugar or calories using the 3 toppings.

Yeah that sounds really good.  You can make french toast with whole wheat bread and egg beaters, cook it in pam, top it with SF maple syrup and spray butter, and eat it with a protein shake...doesn't get much better than that.

Blake

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2006, 05:14:33 PM »
Without carbohydrates(glucose) it's almost impossible to get fat.
With only carbohydrates and no fat, you will become fat, cause the extra energy will be stored as fat.

Huh?

So are you trying to imply one could eat 10,000 kcal of fat and protein a day and not get fat?

The bottom line is that it doesn't matter what the fuck you eat.  Too many calories of anything can make you fat.

Bear03

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2006, 05:36:57 PM »
Huh?

So are you trying to imply one could eat 10,000 kcal of fat and protein a day and not get fat?

The bottom line is that it doesn't matter what the f**k you eat.  Too many calories of anything can make you fat.

I like your loose/carefree approach to nutrition, Blake.  Pretty rational/solid.  From the "life's too short" standpoint, anyway.

Blake

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2006, 07:09:09 PM »
I like your loose/carefree approach to nutrition, Blake.  Pretty rational/solid.  From the "life's too short" standpoint, anyway.

Carefree in what way?  I was simply replying to what dontknowit posted, nothing more.  I hope you weren't trying to single out my sentence where I said it doesn't matter what you eat.  I said that within the context of what I was replying to.   ;)

dontknowit seems to be implying that if you eat carbs and no fat, you'll get fat (the second sentence I quoted).

He also says "without carbs it's almost impossible to get fat".  Really?  I'd like to see a peer reviewed overfeeding study done with fat in which subjects don't store any excess as fat.

Speaking of studies, here's an overfeeding study done in both lean and obese women.  As you can see they were overfed by 50% of requirements using either glucose, sucrose, fructose, or fat.

"Macronutrient disposal during controlled overfeeding with glucose, fructose, sucrose, or fat in lean and obese women.

McDevitt RM, Poppitt SD, Murgatroyd PR, Prentice AM.

Medical Research Council Dunn Clinical Nutrition Centre, Cambridge, United Kingdom. r.mcdevitt@au.sac.ac.uk

BACKGROUND: Previous short-term studies (< or =6 h) showed differences in energy expenditure (EE) and macronutrient oxidation in response to overfeeding with different types of dietary carbohydrate. This finding could have implications for obesity. OBJECTIVE: We used 96-h continuous whole-body calorimetry in 8 lean and 5 obese women to assess metabolic disposal (energy dissipation and glycogen or fat storage) of a controlled excess of dietary energy supplied as different carbohydrate sources or as fat. DESIGN: Five dietary treatments were applied in random order: energy balance (control) and overfeeding by 50% of energy requirements with fat (O(fat)) or predominantly with glucose, fructose, or sucrose (O(cho)). Macronutrient oxidation rates were assessed from nonprotein gaseous exchanges. Net macronutrient balances were calculated as cumulative differences between intake and oxidation. RESULTS: Increased EE in response to overfeeding dissipated 7.9% of the energy excess with a variation in EE of <1.7% across overfeeding treatments (NS). EE during the O(fat) treatment significantly exceeded that during the control treatment in the lean but not in the obese women. There were no significant differences between lean and obese women in macronutrient oxidation or balances, so data were pooled. O(cho) induced glycogen storage on day 1 ( approximately 100 g) but thereafter progressively stimulated carbohydrate oxidation so that balance was reached on days 3 and 4. Fat oxidation was proportionately suppressed. Of the excess carbohydrate, 74% was oxidized; there were no significant differences between the various O(cho) treatments. O(fat) stimulated fat oxidation by 18% and suppressed carbohydrate oxidation. On average, 12% of the excess energy was stored as glycogen and 88% as fat; there was no significant difference between overfeeding treatments. CONCLUSION: There was no significant difference in fat balance during controlled overfeeding with fat, fructose, glucose, or sucrose."

Bear03

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2006, 07:59:02 AM »
Carefree in what way?  I was simply replying to what dontknowit posted, nothing more.  I hope you weren't trying to single out my sentence where I said it doesn't matter what you eat.  I said that within the context of what I was replying to.   ;)

Calories In < Calories Out = Weight Loss. 

I'm reminded of a thread where someone asked if they could eat junk food, and you said something to the effect of "sure, so long as you burn more calories than you eat".  This advice is much more sound for some.

Blake

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2006, 10:26:27 AM »
Calories In < Calories Out = Weight Loss. 

I'm reminded of a thread where someone asked if they could eat junk food, and you said something to the effect of "sure, so long as you burn more calories than you eat".  This advice is much more sound for some.

In the context of what I replied to above-- calories in > calories out = weight gain.  dontknowit made it sound as if you could eat as much fat as you want and as long as you don't have carbs, "it's nearly impossible to get fat", which is of course bullshit.  That's why I gave the example of eating thousands of calories above requirements of only fat and protein, and also said that too much of ANYTHING can make you fat, whether that excess is from protein, fat, carbs, or a combination of all three.

About junk food, we have to remember that body composition and health are two different things.  Is it healthy to eat loads of junk food day in and day out?  Not so much.  But can you include junk food in your diet (whether you're trying to gain muscle or lose fat) and still reach your goals?  Absolutely.  I've never recommended that anyone eat a ton of junk food.  I think it's best to comprise the majority of your diet around healthy foods and if you want, have some junk food on the side.

Bear03

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2006, 12:50:04 PM »
Yeah ok i think we're arguing whilst agreeing.

Blake

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2006, 01:00:52 PM »
Yeah ok i think we're arguing whilst agreeing.

Probably.   :)   ;)

Mike

• Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2006, 01:22:04 PM »
Probably.   :)   ;)

Very good posts by Blake and Bear03.  Remember, American's LOVE fads.  Whether it's entertainment, fashion or diets, fads come and go. 

Overactive thyroids and insulin sensitivity (or other such disorders) only account for a small percentage of fat gain in people, meaning, it's usually not a valid excuse. 

If you need a diet plan, use the Weigh Watchers idea.  Sensible eating.  When you've eaten your point (calorie) total for the day you stop eating.  If you get there by eating chicken breasts or you get there by eating Double Stacks (yum), makes no difference. 

Remember, there's a BIG difference between being healthy and looking good, but we as bodybuilders usually understand that.

Bear03

• Getbig IV
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2006, 02:11:52 PM »
Speaking of Fad diets, i think the south beach is pretty brilliant, the way they're advertising to the less informed...bodybuilding principles, really.

The quote i heard on the commercial was "Instead of worrying about too many fats or too many carbs, think the right fats and the right carbs".  All of this goes hand in hand with general caloric restriction, but i think it's a deceptively rational and simple approach to sound lifetime nutrition.  For normal people.

BigIronMike25

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2006, 06:56:07 AM »
too much fat does not promote these things in a carb restricted diet, it is the combination of high-fat and high-sugar that raise and skew lipid profiles and triglyceride levels. e.g. omega-3 fats are now being prescribed to LOWER triglycerides and adding fish oils and monounsaturated fats to your diet will normalize your lipid profile. Science continues to prove that a high-fat low-carb or very-low carb diet positively affects lipid profile and triglyceride levels raising good cholesterol and lower bad and overall levels.

and as most readers of this board know simple sugars during and after intensive exercise are not detrimental to your health but instead help insulin reaction and nutrient absorbtion into skeletal muscle tissue.

SG  ::)

Good stuff Supplement guy....id take high fat / low carb   over high carb / low fat all day!!

Bear03

• Getbig IV
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2006, 07:21:58 PM »
Good stuff Supplement guy....id take high fat / low carb   over high carb / low fat all day!!

man, that's funny, i'm the total opposite.

Rimbaud

• Getbig V
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2006, 08:36:24 PM »
BOTH  ;D 

Seriously though....If i had to choose between a double bacon cheeseburger or something like fat-free frozen yogurt...that's a tough one.  I tend to have a sweet tooth.  So i think i'd take like FF cookies over something really fatty.

I'd probably have to go with the cheeseburger.

Bear03

• Getbig IV
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2006, 08:56:19 PM »
I'd probably have to go with the cheeseburger.

well then i suppose there's only one way to settle this- we'll have to throw down.