Author Topic: Who owns or runs a gym?  (Read 14894 times)

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
Re: Who owns or runs a gym?
« Reply #75 on: April 01, 2014, 09:30:18 AM »
I would suggest to visit gyms in the area. Observe their strong/unique points and their weak ones as well. This information could be unvaluable, esp during your start up.

Tedim

• Getbig V
  • "Ну GetBig, ну погоди"
« Reply #76 on: April 01, 2014, 01:03:11 PM »
Demographic and Income

1 - 3 miles 50K residents

avg income 57K per family

59% white 30% black

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #77 on: April 01, 2014, 01:54:21 PM »
Online presence....facebook, twitter..instagram. Let people know why your different. They have a gym here in San Antonio..Joe's Gym. they advertise as a no bullshit, hardcore place to train and the guy does pretty good. He's in the middle of a bunch of box gyms but his place is always full. Its clean and the equipment isn't broken. Bring in trainers, sponsor meets, seminars etc. Make it matter to join yoiur place as opposed to your competition.

That's how I do most of my marketing. Along with how to videos, blogs, articles, corporate partnerships, trade shows, etc

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #78 on: April 01, 2014, 02:29:11 PM »
That's how I do most of my marketing. Along with how to videos, blogs, articles, corporate partnerships, trade shows, etc

What's your Facebook address?

ESFitness

• Getbig V
  • i win.
« Reply #79 on: April 01, 2014, 03:23:58 PM »
Demographic and Income

1 - 3 miles 50K residents

avg income 57K per family

59% white 30% black

hmm... If it were me, I'd sell memberships at $20 a month. most will be able to afford that. pulling 30/mon plus an enrollment fee at that avg income (and only 59% white) will be harder.

20/mon is less than a dollar a day.

buy your 16oz waters and tiny shop towels at Costco and sell them for $1. contact a distributer for ABB and sell speedstacks maybe.. or if you can find preworkout single serving pouches at less than $2ea (retail) I'd go that way (I'm acutally developing a single serving preworkout with a pricepoint of $1.. should be done within the year. it's nice having wealthy clients to finance shit. lol)

with speedstack (abb), you're making like $.80 on a $3-4 product, whereas with water and a preworkout, you're making 85% and 50% respectively.

purepro50's are easy and sell well.. but there's other cheaper RTD's you can find elsewhere.

so long as the pricepoint is alright, people will buy because of the convenience (and they want to be seen drinking it.. peer pressure. lol)

look into laws reguarding trainers being either on payroll or 1099's... try to have the PT money come to you if possible, instead of collecting trainer rent from independants.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #80 on: April 01, 2014, 03:43:05 PM »
What's your Facebook address?

I'll probably regret this, but...

https://www.facebook.com/mpftrainingsystems?ref=hl

I just hired a marketing firm to handle most of the online stuff last week. Had my website rebuilt, it's live now but still have to make adjustments, add pics, testimonials, etc.

The FB sponsored ads begin next week. We set a budget of $70.00 per day targeting within a 10mile radius along with a specific demographic. They put together a complete online marketing plan that includes Instagram, FB, Google +, Twitter, Youtube, Woobox, PPC and a our online training programs.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #81 on: April 01, 2014, 03:54:27 PM »
This what I'm going to do when I retire...own a gym...so I'm interested in the thread.  I hope Tedim makes an honest go of it.
L

ESFitness

• Getbig V
  • i win.
« Reply #82 on: April 01, 2014, 07:28:06 PM »
This what I'm going to do when I retire...own a gym...so I'm interested in the thread.  I hope Tedim makes an honest go of it.

noooooooobody wants to work 12hr+ days when they're retired.

unless you build a gym like Westside or Metroflex and you can afford to lose about $4k/month, it's a bad idea to do when retired.

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
« Reply #83 on: April 01, 2014, 08:46:54 PM »

I just hired a marketing firm to handle most of the online stuff last week. Had my website rebuilt, it's live now but still have to make adjustments, add pics, testimonials, etc.

The FB sponsored ads begin next week. We set a budget of $70.00 per day targeting within a 10mile radius along with a specific demographic. They put together a complete online marketing plan that includes Instagram, FB, Google +, Twitter, Youtube, Woobox, PPC and a our online training programs.

Looks good. On your facebook, set up some bogus accounts and write up some good shit about your place...Or have friends write up some nice shit. Make it look like a happening place.

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #84 on: April 01, 2014, 10:25:29 PM »

Page looks sweet with good pictures, vids and the right likes like Elitefts, well done Joe.

Do many new clients refer to social media, when you ask them how they found you?

galain

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #85 on: April 01, 2014, 10:39:30 PM »
The demographic in your area (apart from racial mix) almost exactly matches a new suburb my cousin has moved into.

The one gym in that area is booming and from speaking to her, it's pretty much the courses people are coming for.

They have a fairly standard equipment profile (cables are popular) but it's the zumba, cardio boxing, walking group, diet group etc etc that people are coming for according to her.

Daytime is downtime, but when the stay at homes come in to train - usually women. Don't forget some of those adductor/abductor machines!

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #86 on: April 01, 2014, 11:11:39 PM »
Page looks sweet with good pictures, vids and the right likes like Elitefts, well done Joe.

Do many new clients refer to social media, when you ask them how they found you?

I created the page about 3 years ago and probably averaged about 3-4 clients a month from it just posting content like you see. It was just today that the new marketing firm changed the header, added the Instagram and contact link. I was given specific instructions on what kind new content to post along with what they will add. It's always been that whatever I post is also linked to my personal FB page and my twitter. They also are in the process of redoing my YouTube with a custom page and separating my videos into sections (speed, instructional, gym videos, etc). My blog and Articles that I write for other online websites are also a big thing. I literally get emails from all over the country and other countries.

Between the bigger online presents and offline marketing and branding, we expect about an extra 20-30 leads per month. Not bad for a small private training gym. My Instagram is also linked to my twitter account.

bigmc

• Getbig V
« Reply #87 on: April 02, 2014, 12:15:15 AM »
The demographic in your area (apart from racial mix) almost exactly matches a new suburb my cousin has moved into.

The one gym in that area is booming and from speaking to her, it's pretty much the courses people are coming for.

They have a fairly standard equipment profile (cables are popular) but it's the zumba, cardio boxing, walking group, diet group etc etc that people are coming for according to her.

Daytime is downtime, but when the stay at homes come in to train - usually women. Don't forget some of those adductor/abductor machines!

this is great advice

classes for the win
T

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #88 on: April 02, 2014, 12:33:43 AM »

unless you build a gym like Westside or Metroflex and you can afford to lose about $4k/month, it's a bad idea to do when retired.

Right again.

This is exactly what I'm doing and it isn't going to last without me finding trustworthy people... which is nearly impossible these days. Even if they are trustworthy, they may not be punctual, or their priorities may be a bit skewed.

The perfect employee (even if paid well) is nearly non-existent. Even if they are great, their has to be some monitoring.

Another thing that was not brought up was your alarm system. ADT required a large advance down-payment.

Camcorders... that's a whole other ballgame. Best thing to do is place them strategically, don't talk about them, and be able to monitor them from anywhere online.

So many little things to think of.

A good computer set up with software, printers, scanners, faxes, multiple phone lines, paper, ink... etc, etc.

Sticky pads, pens... it may not seem like much but it ads up especially when your pens keep disappearing to that member that constantly wants to "borrow" a pen and paper for a moment.

Customer appreciation days cost. Depends how much you do.

Some local businesses will donate, make trades, or help with full-blown BBQ's, music, car shows... it all depends what kind of members you have. Sometimes class demos work, but not always.

Forget about bodyfat testing. I've NEVER seen that work.

Become as friendly as possible with all surrounding businesses. You may need one of them just to constantly make change. You can't be running to the bank all the time and you can't be carrying a shitload of cash.

When all you have are $5's and $1's.... you're gonna get that customer that wants to pay his/her dues with $100 bill... and you better take it right then and there regardless of whether or not they are late. Take it whenever you can get it. Don't "waive" late charges unless it is TOTALLY legit (rarely)

Don't do "cancellations" on an EFT unless it's totally legit. Again, rarely.

Your customers will stomp the living shit out of you if you aren't a firm businessman... and yet respectful and nice. Sometimes the two don't go together when you get an ass at the counter that is locked into an EFT and decides somewhere along the line that they should only pay for the months they worked out.

The gym business... is not for everyone.

People walk in, but there's always something holding them back. A "walk-in" is NOT a slam-dunk... as much as you'd like it to be.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #89 on: April 02, 2014, 06:57:59 AM »

It won't be the only thing I'm doing and I don't expect to get rich.....its just something I'm going to try. I "retire" in 3 years at 43, not 65.
L

Tedim

• Getbig V
  • "Ну GetBig, ну погоди"
« Reply #90 on: April 15, 2014, 07:01:05 AM »
demo starts next week.....

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #91 on: April 15, 2014, 08:48:30 AM »
demo starts next week.....

"Taqueria?" You're gonna sell tacos in the gym!?

Never heard of that one before but it's crazy enough that it might just work!

Tedim

• Getbig V
  • "Ну GetBig, ну погоди"
« Reply #92 on: April 15, 2014, 08:50:04 AM »

"Taqueria?" You're gonna sell tacos!?

Never heard of that one before but it's crazy enough that it might just work!

Its getting gutted.....thats the space, theres another 20 feet behind the back wall.

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #93 on: April 15, 2014, 08:52:03 AM »
Its getting gutted.....thats the space, theres another 20 feet behind the back wall.

Ah well at least consider keeping the "panaderia"...

A good Mexican cinnamon roll sounds delish for a post workout carbup. 8)

D.O.U.P

• Getbig III
« Reply #94 on: April 15, 2014, 08:56:37 AM »
Right again.

This is exactly what I'm doing and it isn't going to last without me finding trustworthy people... which is nearly impossible these days. Even if they are trustworthy, they may not be punctual, or their priorities may be a bit skewed.

The perfect employee (even if paid well) is nearly non-existent. Even if they are great, their has to be some monitoring.

Another thing that was not brought up was your alarm system. ADT required a large advance down-payment.

Camcorders... that's a whole other ballgame. Best thing to do is place them strategically, don't talk about them, and be able to monitor them from anywhere online.

So many little things to think of.

A good computer set up with software, printers, scanners, faxes, multiple phone lines, paper, ink... etc, etc.

Sticky pads, pens... it may not seem like much but it ads up especially when your pens keep disappearing to that member that constantly wants to "borrow" a pen and paper for a moment.

Customer appreciation days cost. Depends how much you do.

Some local businesses will donate, make trades, or help with full-blown BBQ's, music, car shows... it all depends what kind of members you have. Sometimes class demos work, but not always.

Forget about bodyfat testing. I've NEVER seen that work.

Become as friendly as possible with all surrounding businesses. You may need one of them just to constantly make change. You can't be running to the bank all the time and you can't be carrying a shitload of cash.

When all you have are $5's and $1's.... you're gonna get that customer that wants to pay his/her dues with $100 bill... and you better take it right then and there regardless of whether or not they are late. Take it whenever you can get it. Don't "waive" late charges unless it is TOTALLY legit (rarely)

Don't do "cancellations" on an EFT unless it's totally legit. Again, rarely.

Your customers will stomp the living shit out of you if you aren't a firm businessman... and yet respectful and nice. Sometimes the two don't go together when you get an ass at the counter that is locked into an EFT and decides somewhere along the line that they should only pay for the months they worked out.

The gym business... is not for everyone.

People walk in, but there's always something holding them back. A "walk-in" is NOT a slam-dunk... as much as you'd like it to be.

SPOT-ON.

The members WILL beat you down...turn the music UP, turn it DOWN, it's too COLD, ITS TOO WARM...

BE FIRM, THEY WILL RESPECT YOU.

Tedim

• Getbig V
  • "Ну GetBig, ну погоди"
« Reply #95 on: April 30, 2014, 10:15:33 AM »
Gym name

GetFit

....marketing "Getfit without GoingBroke 19.99 per month no contract"....15K mailers will be sent @5K per month artwork getting done now. Target open by Oct 31st

Tedim

• Getbig V
  • "Ну GetBig, ну погоди"
« Reply #96 on: April 30, 2014, 11:00:30 AM »
I bought my gym in 1992 of a lady whose business was called 'getfit enterprises'

what do you think of the business

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #97 on: April 30, 2014, 11:23:25 AM »
what do you think of the business

Are you in it for good, or do you want a quick flip? I know that you were looking for a flip originally, but maybe you can be a gym owner along with your other activities...

Tedim

• Getbig V
  • "Ну GetBig, ну погоди"
« Reply #98 on: April 30, 2014, 11:36:04 AM »
Are you in it for good, or do you want a quick flip? I know that you were looking for a flip originally, but maybe you can be a gym owner along with your other activities...

I might have to be in for 50% for a while.....so might be an owner, would rather flip.

My long term goal is real property management/financial services....everything else sold off.

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #99 on: May 01, 2014, 07:39:32 AM »
Open question, would someone start a gym, based on a franchise concept?
I don't know the exact details yet, other than a general concept description, but the investment is 50,000 Euro (about 70 grand).