Getbig Bodybuilding, Figure and Fitness Forums
February 18, 2018, 10:22:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Arizona Approves Fully-Autonomous Ride-Hailing Service  (Read 488 times)
Palumboism
Getbig IV

« on: February 17, 2018, 05:05:46 AM »

BY Michael Gauthier | Posted on February 16, 2018

Waymo recently declared victory in its legal battle with Uber and the company now appears ready to deliver the knockout blow.

Bloomberg reports the Alphabet-owned company has become the first business in the United States to be granted permission to launch a commercial ride-hailing service without a human driver. The publication says Waymo received the green-light from the Arizona Department of Transportation last month and the decision allows paying customers to use Waymo’s fleet of fully-autonomous Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid minivans.

A Waymo spokesman confirmed the commercial service will be launched in the Phoenix area later this year. Little is known about the service but Waymo ordered an additional 500 minivans last year and announced plans to buy thousands more in January.

https://www.carscoops.com/2018/02/arizona-approves-waymos-fully-autonomous-ride-hailing-service/

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaOB-ErYq6Y" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaOB-ErYq6Y</a>

I didn't think this would be happening this soon.  I'm not sure I would feel comfortable riding in this van on the freeway.
Report to moderator   Logged
robcguns
Getbig V

Founder of the proud straight white male movement

« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2018, 06:11:45 AM »

People will die
Board_SHERIF
Getbig V

UK Independence Party

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2018, 06:49:47 AM »

trusting a vehicle with the software written by Gooks?  haa haaa no thanks

K
JAGO
Getbig III

Carrot Sticks & Squirrel Dicks

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2018, 06:59:43 AM »

Why do self-driving cars need a steering wheel?
Palumboism
Getbig IV

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2018, 07:47:38 AM »

They don't.  This is GM's new self driving car.
Irongrip400
Getbig V

Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2018, 07:56:14 AM »

People will die

X2. I mean, we all do, but I believe it will be at a higher statistically significant rate.
Zillotch
Getbig IV

humanity... one big bundle of genetic defectives

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2018, 08:32:21 AM »

'How blockchain is hastening the advance of autonomous cars'

https://www.cio.com/article/3235138/data-protection/how-blockchain-is-hastening-the-advance-of-autonomous-cars.html
Taffin
Getbig V

OK, I'll help - on one condition...

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2018, 09:25:00 AM »

To give you something to grab at while you head directly into oncoming traffic, screaming....

T
Taffin
Getbig V

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2018, 09:50:43 AM »

Looks cool.... but makes me wonder, does this design approach inspire more - or less - confidence in the car's abilities?

On the one hand, leaving a wheel behind to tug at in emergencies (if that's even the point) might make some feel more comfortable.

But does the complete absence of even the suggestion of possible human override indicate the manufacturers believe the machine to be flawless in its execution..?

And did I miss the announcement where they'd solved the whole ethics minefield?  Questions such as: to preserve the vehicle occupants would it divert into a crowd of people?  Or vice-versa?

Hmmm.....

They don't.  This is GM's new self driving car.

T
robcguns
Getbig V

Founder of the proud straight white male movement

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2018, 09:53:38 AM »

Would def never ride in one of these especially without a wheel to grab.
Tapeworm
Getbig V

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2018, 10:02:39 AM »

One sufficiently bloody crash and the driverless thing will have a hard time recovering.  And if it works flawlessly there are enough competing interests with enough money at stake to engineer a crash, just for the 'behold their folly' press.

Jumping both feet in to the johnny-cab game seems like a brash way to bring this technology public. 
Taffin
Getbig V

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2018, 10:45:38 AM »

One sufficiently bloody crash and the driverless thing will have a hard time recovering.  And if it works flawlessly there are enough competing interests with enough money at stake to engineer a crash, just for the 'behold their folly' press.

Jumping both feet in to the johnny-cab game seems like a brash way to bring this technology public. 

Excellent reference  Cool

T
Tapeworm
Getbig V

« Reply #12 on: Today at 06:38:38 AM »

See, look what happened to Johnny!  QED.
dr.chimps
Getbig V

Chimpus ergo sum

« Reply #13 on: Today at 06:47:02 AM »

See, look what happened to Johnny!  QED.
I was gonna post a super big thingy about intelligence and Getbig.  Grin
tres_taco_combo
Getbig IV

« Reply #14 on: Today at 06:54:35 AM »

AZ is a test subject for this stuff, last year someone in tempe, az got killed by one - total accident

i see the self the driving Volvo teams out in full force daily.
Tapeworm
Getbig V

« Reply #15 on: Today at 07:03:37 AM »

I was gonna post a super big thingy about intelligence and Getbig.  Grin

Muh Lud, my client pleads innocent to any charges of possession.
ProudVirgin69
Getbig V

hardcore redneck electric champion

« Reply #16 on: Today at 08:04:41 AM »

Im surprised these corporations are so eager to jump on this, if only because it places the liability solely on the parent company. 

Ordinarily, any crash could be laid at the feet of the driver but if one of these crashes into a schoolbus and kills 60 gradeschool children, there's nobody to blame but Google. 
Notomorrow
Getbig II

« Reply #17 on: Today at 08:40:14 AM »

Drivers were the stupid guinea pigs for this technology which will replace them.
Zillotch
Getbig IV

« Reply #18 on: Today at 08:50:25 AM »

Humans were the stupid guinea pigs for this technology which will replace them.

exactly right 

all technology is here for the sole purpose of controlling humanity for the duration of its short existence... humans r to be reverse engineered in every way – fodder, used to educate the very instruments of their own demise. man is to be effectively stolen, extracted and then terminated - their ultimate tard contribution – death.
Zillotch
Getbig IV

« Reply #19 on: Today at 08:55:43 AM »

Im surprised these corporations are so eager to jump on this, if only because it places the liability solely on the parent company. 

lol.. there is none.
Taffin
Getbig V

« Reply #20 on: Today at 10:33:14 AM »

AZ is a test subject for this stuff, last year someone in tempe, az got killed by one - total accident

i see the self the driving Volvo teams out in full force daily.

Presumably you're witnessing slower, more inner-city/urban style driving then?  I suppose the stuff around 20-40mph is one thing, but faster than that...?  Sheesh, you'd need faith in the code, etc.

Gotta Google some of this, as I'm wondering now about emergency stops due to jay-walking, for example...  Tongue

T
Tapeworm
Getbig V

« Reply #21 on: Today at 10:50:10 AM »

Presumably you're witnessing slower, more inner-city/urban style driving then?  I suppose the stuff around 20-40mph is one thing, but faster than that...?  Sheesh, you'd need faith in the code, etc.

Gotta Google some of this, as I'm wondering now about emergency stops due to jay-walking, for example...  Tongue

Yeah, well.  That's life in the Big City.

tres_taco_combo
Getbig IV

« Reply #22 on: Today at 03:08:37 PM »

so far, little problems at all. kind of cool as a gearhead myself to see the random ass cars on the road.
YngiweRhoads
Getbig IV

Shreddin'

« Reply #23 on: Today at 05:43:54 PM »

Moral dilemma.

An autonomous vehicle is going to hit a child who runs out onto a street. The vehicle is going too fast to avoid hitting the child unless it drives off a cliff with it's passenger.

Which choice does the vehicle make?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Theme created by Egad Community. Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.20 | SMF © 2013, Simple Machines Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!