Author Topic: Best machine for calves?  (Read 5450 times)

lilbg

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
Best machine for calves?
« on: January 20, 2006, 06:31:35 AM »
Trying to finish building a small home gym and I am looking at machines for calves.. So far Ive found standing and sitting calve machines for under 300$ that dont look to bad.. which would be better?  Ive been lifting on and off for a long time but never killed my calve the way I should.. thanks for any input.

Bear03

• Getbig IV
  • back in the swing of things
Re: Best machine for calves?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2006, 07:19:39 AM »
I prefer seated, but,  I know there's plenty of smart people on here who would disagree with me.  Truthfully, the only way to sufficiently develop your calves is to do both. 

More importantly, why are you buying a calf raise machine, of all things?  This indicates that you probably work out at home and have a home gym of some sort, in which case you can just do all the calve work you need with barbells and dumbells! 
:-)

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2006, 07:27:21 AM »
Either one would work, but i'd suggest considering some kind of squat machine or just use a barbell in a rack to do standing calf raises and don't bother with a specific calf machine.

lilbg

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2006, 07:39:29 AM »
Thats what I used to do in the past was use a barbell.. I would use something my buddys g/f had for some sort of stair step class that worked perfectly.. Just lean forward a bit and let the bar glide across the rails of the of the rack.  Over time it really started to remove some metal tho and im trying to avoid that.  So far I have a rack, 350lbs of olympic plates, barbell, EZ curl, upper and lower cables on the rack, dumbells from 5-50lbs in 5 lb increments.  I plan on buying more dumbells.. can I wrap the bar in something that will glide across the rack?

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2006, 08:08:17 AM »
As far as machines, try the exact machine uner consideration extensively before buying, ensure that the feel is good.

For a home gym I'd prefer something that's either dual purpose-squat/calf raise, or something small. That's just my opinion:

http://powertecfitness.com/squatcalf.htm

http://www.newyorkbarbells.com/90061.html

lilbg

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2006, 08:23:10 AM »
Im leaning towards the calf block idea.. I can probably build somethign very simliar on my own.. just trying to figure out how you guys keep balance if your not leaning against the rack.  I dont have a huge amount of room left but I do have a spot in the corner of my room next to the DB rack that would hold a standing or seated calf raise machine perfectly.  Ive always felt like I got more out of a standing calf raise machine vs a sitting. 

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2006, 08:38:47 AM »
The best machine for building calves is the human body holding a DB in one hand while doing a one legged calf raise off a 4" block. Going from a full stretch  and coming up to the top position (feeling the hard contraction of the muscles at the top finish position) while resting on the two larger toes. Have to do this with quickness and speed. Come down slower and blast off the block at the bottom position of the full stretch. Never lean forward while doing any calf raise, keep the body in a straight line (180 degrees) throughout the exercise. Can also have the human machine run 40 yard dashes at full speed to develop excellent calves. Good Luck.

lilbg

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2006, 08:44:00 AM »
Thanks for the input.. its probably better to spend my money on a calve block and heavier dumbells.  I didnt know one legged calve raises were very effective.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2006, 09:48:35 AM »
Nothing wrong with leaning against the rack; wearing the metal out a little's not a big deal.

Exercises that use both legs at the same time should also be part of the equation.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2006, 10:38:26 AM »
I think any machine is fine for calves.  I think the only difference is the comfort level.  I mean the movement for the calves is very basic and simple.  Seated calves is the same as standing calves except you are sitting down and you aren't supporting weight on your shoulders.  It is more comfortable.  I like doing mine on the leg press cause I can sit down and I am very comfortable.  I get the same full stretch as any other calf machine.  But, nowadays the more exercises I can do sitting down the better.  I just did calves the other day after about 6 years.  I got in the mood because of this thread.  And mine are killing me.  One of my best parts were my calves.  Nice big and shaped great.  With my injury I haven't been able to do much.  My right calf and leg are weak as hell so I am in the mood to train them again. 

lilbg

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2006, 10:43:43 AM »
With that in mind I may get the calve block and the sitting calve raise machine.. I forgot about a knee injury I had a while back that usually comes back to haunt me.. thanks for all the input.

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2006, 12:38:11 PM »
at my new gym they have a "horizontal calf raise" i guess it kinda simulates donkey calf raises or leg press calf raises. you sit in the chair upright and with your legs out in front of you you just push with your toes....its plate loaded (hammer strenght). i just used it for my first time last leg day and my calfs are still sore..i loved it.
bodybuildersreality.com

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2006, 08:11:01 PM »
at my new gym they have a "horizontal calf raise" i guess it kinda simulates donkey calf raises or leg press calf raises. you sit in the chair upright and with your legs out in front of you you just push with your toes....its plate loaded (hammer strenght). i just used it for my first time last leg day and my calfs are still sore..i loved it.

We havethat same machine.  We actually have 09 calf machines in our gym  A little overkill since I am not counting the leg press's

triple_pickle

• Getbig IV
  • Pull Hard, Move Fast
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2006, 09:01:13 PM »
it is important to do both standing and seated calf raises but i would go for a seated calf raise machine because this is the only exercise that will get your soleus work.  standing calf raises work only the gastrocnemius.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2006, 03:15:59 AM »
it is important to do both standing and seated calf raises but i would go for a seated calf raise machine because this is the only exercise that will get your soleus work.  standing calf raises work only the gastrocnemius.

Please explain this to me.  I have never done standing and my soleus muscles are very large.  People always thought it was odd how much muscle I had in the front.  I don't see how the standing is any different from the seated except you are not supporting the weight on your shoulders and less stress on the knees when you are sitting.  The movement of your heel is still up and down with a full ROM.

Bear03

• Getbig IV
  • back in the swing of things
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2006, 07:52:28 AM »
Both the soleus and the gastroc are targeted by ALL calve exercises.  Seated calves simply put MORE emphasis on the soleus while standing calve raises put more emphasis on the gastroc.  You don't get much gastroc work from seated calve raises, but you can get a fair bit of soleus work from standing calve raises, especially if you do some of your sets with bent knees.
:-)

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2006, 08:30:18 AM »
Both areas of the calf are hit with standing, emphasis on bigger Gastroc area typically considered the calf muscle.

Seated, bent-leg raises are 90% on the Soleus, the smaller muscle beneath the Gastroc.

Further proof that with good genetics, muscle is developed even without the most effective exercises. Bodybuilders often use less effective exercises but still grow, but miss some of their potential:

Biggest middle part of calf Gastroc:
http://www.exrx.net/Muscles/Gastrocnemius.html

Inner/outer areas/Soleus:
http://www.exrx.net/Muscles/Soleus.html

Exercises:
http://www.exrx.net/Lists/ExList/CalfWt.html#anchor164279

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2006, 06:34:07 PM »
We havethat same machine.  We actually have 09 calf machines in our gym  A little overkill since I am not counting the leg press's
whoa thats quite a bit...is it a really big gym?
bodybuildersreality.com

GMCtrk

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2006, 08:07:47 PM »
The best machine I have ever used for calves is the one you stand on a platform and there are two pads for your shoulders you get under and just do rasies. For some reason my gym got rid of this wonderful machine. So now I am left to use the smith machine for calf raises which is ok, but not as good as the aforementioned machine. I don't like seated calf raises all that much, I don't feel like I am doing as much as standing

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2006, 08:45:22 PM »
No actually it's only 14,000 sq.ft.

lilbg

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2006, 07:32:18 AM »
The best machine I have ever used for calves is the one you stand on a platform and there are two pads for your shoulders you get under and just do rasies. For some reason my gym got rid of this wonderful machine. So now I am left to use the smith machine for calf raises which is ok, but not as good as the aforementioned machine. I don't like seated calf raises all that much, I don't feel like I am doing as much as standing

Sounds like a standing calve raise machine...

triple_pickle

• Getbig IV
  • Pull Hard, Move Fast
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2006, 04:08:53 PM »
Please explain this to me.  I have never done standing and my soleus muscles are very large.  People always thought it was odd how much muscle I had in the front.  I don't see how the standing is any different from the seated except you are not supporting the weight on your shoulders and less stress on the knees when you are sitting.  The movement of your heel is still up and down with a full ROM.

well, i guess pumpster and Bear03 already answered the question.  since i am not gifted with big calves, i have to attack them from every angle possible.  but since you say you have never done standing calf raises (only seated?) then it is not a surprise your soleus muscles are large.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2006, 04:36:31 PM »
Slight changes in angles make a huge difference in where the muscle is hit. You can tell the difference in effect from where the burn is.

With seated, for me the burn is centered in the lower calves.

Standing hits the full calf muscle belly higher up, rather than the lower area.

lilbg

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2006, 06:13:34 AM »
I ordered a calf Block.. the Seated Calf machine will have to wait a while becuase I just spent a ton of $ on a treadmill.  Guess I will see how far the block can take me.