Author Topic: new to me sport bike.....  (Read 2981 times)

ESFitness

• Getbig V
  • i win.
Re: new to me sport bike.....
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2014, 02:13:36 PM »
if it were me,i'd go with the Aprillia.. love the sound. same with Ducati's... I'd buy it just for the sound. loved the RC51 as well, and the TL1000R (but had tendency to high-side)

I don't have the balls to ride anymore... at least not aggressively. I don't think I could ride an aprillia or ducati comfortably anymore though.. if I'd get a sportbike, it'd probably be a stretched and lowered Hayabusa, or even a Harley FXST or something.

SamoanIrishman

• Getbig IV
  • Why stress the little people..
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2014, 02:14:54 PM »
I put a Penske shock and had Progressive do the forks (springs and re-valve) and I would pass GSXR's / R1's and the like all day at the track.

I had a full Yosh exhaust and a Dale Holeshot stage 2 carb kit, didn't do the CAM swap and actually went down a tooth in the front sprocket for more low end torque so on the straight away's they'd end up passing me half way out but then by turn 3 I had lead again.

SamoanIrishman

• Getbig IV
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2014, 02:19:04 PM »
if it were me,i'd go with the Aprillia.. love the sound. same with Ducati's... I'd buy it just for the sound. loved the RC51 as well, and the TL1000R (but had tendency to high-side)

I don't have the balls to ride anymore... at least not aggressively. I don't think I could ride an aprillia or ducati comfortably anymore though.. if I'd get a sportbike, it'd probably be a stretched and lowered Hayabusa, or even a Harley FXST or something.

Had an Aprillia for about 2 months got rid of it. Sure like the duc's they look cool and even sound sexy but are over priced and expensive to keep as are HARDLY's. I loved my Busa and would have gotten another if I didn't fall into the sweet deal for the CBR1100xx. I'm sure my old Busa would have easily put on another 40k but I wanted to move on as did the wife.

Stretch it, custom seat / bars / pegs and hard bags and you have a comfortable cruising BALLISTIC missile between your legs :)

All for under $15k (brand new) hence I don't see why people buy a $25k hardly Davidson with far less power / speed and handling capabilities. Oh and I've never seen a hardly with over 100k miles

bigmc

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2014, 02:23:51 PM »
Had an Aprillia for about 2 months got rid of it. Sure like the duc's they look cool and even sound sexy but are over priced and expensive to keep as are HARDLY's. I loved my Busa and would have gotten another if I didn't fall into the sweet deal for the CBR1100xx. I'm sure my old Busa would have easily put on another 40k but I wanted to move on as did the wife.

Stretch it, custom seat / bars / pegs and hard bags and you have a comfortable cruising BALLISTIC missile between your legs :)

All for under $15k (brand new) hence I don't see why people buy a $25k hardly Davidson with far less power / speed and handling capabilities. Oh and I've never seen a hardly with over 100k miles

i rented a harley when i was in the states

it was shit and i mean shit

the handling was appaling the engine was gutless

i dont get it

but you cant rent sports bikes in vegas  :'(
T

SamoanIrishman

• Getbig IV
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2014, 02:27:20 PM »
Because its a status thing. That's why when your local 48-55 yr old goes in to buy one they not only buy the bike but every accessory. They got HD socks, underwear, glasses, toothbrush hahahah its a joke. Plus big ass heavy bike and most of them haven't ridden in years is why they are the highest fatality range.

IF and I mean IF I was ever to go true cruiser it would probably be a custom chopper or one of the Victory bikes...they make some cool looking bike and have a reputation of not riding like a 2x4 on a washboard.

The Wizard of Truth

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Fallen Angel
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2014, 02:28:53 PM »
I've a gsxr750 , has the speed of the 1000 with the handling of the 600

SamoanIrishman

• Getbig IV
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2014, 07:05:55 PM »
I've a gsxr750 , has the speed of the 1000 with the handling of the 600

True a great middle ground bike if you're not too tall or big of a guy. Had a 94 when I was 19 and loved it. Learned so much on that bike. Also got more tickets that year than any year since 😁

ESFitness

• Getbig V
  • i win.
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2014, 07:27:32 PM »
Because its a status thing. That's why when your local 48-55 yr old goes in to buy one they not only buy the bike but every accessory. They got HD socks, underwear, glasses, toothbrush hahahah its a joke. Plus big ass heavy bike and most of them haven't ridden in years is why they are the highest fatality range.

IF and I mean IF I was ever to go true cruiser it would probably be a custom chopper or one of the Victory bikes...they make some cool looking bike and have a reputation of not riding like a 2x4 on a washboard.

I'd get a Harley just because of the name. lol... besides, I like the Dyna's.

I'm too old to be breaking my back on a sport bike anymore.. or any bike, honestly. if I was 40lbs lighter and 10yrs younger, maybe. for now, give me a big german sedan. no back pain, no broken arms, no road rash or broken pelvis, and if I get broadsided by a F450, my and my family will probably walk away :)

no one

• Getbig V
  • have i hurt your feelings?
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2014, 08:32:09 PM »
projecting your gayness out into the world must be therapeutic cause you do it with every post

lol! :D
b

LiftEaTsLeEpRePeAt

• Getbig IV
  • Fish
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2014, 08:51:39 PM »
a

d0nny2600

• Getbig V
  • http://i.imgur.com/mCzI3N5.jpg
« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2014, 03:04:30 AM »
what about in the corners

my gsxr was really neutral

the throttle was also very smooth

so easy to ride quickly without highsiding
Bandit 12 handles like a pig compared to a GSXR. Plus the windblast past 120mph on the unfaired one is neckbreakingly bad.
I had a Z1000 too and it was a great machine but high speed motorway past 120mph was painfull

SamoanIrishman

• Getbig IV
« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2014, 08:43:08 AM »
Stock sure naked sure, buy a flipped fly screen I had no problems getting her up over 150mph and yes you feel some wind wobble on the helmet but not enough to be uncomfortable or start a tank slapper.

Handling a pig...yes again with a stock set up. Ohlin / Progressive forks with spring, gold valve and rear shock to boot and a Bandit WILL keep up EASILY in the twisties. I've done it and so have MANY others.

Hayabusa 6 piston calipers are a direct bolt on mod as well. Add steel lines and HH pads and she can break with the best of them. If you really wanted to get fancy you can, with some modification put Hayabusa inverted forks on one.

Sounds like a lot of work but considering you can get a Bandit for $2500 (sometimes less on CL) and do all these mods for another $2500 (less if you do the wrenching) you have a race bike under $5000 that will smoke (given the riders skill level is there) most other liters costing much more. Money saved can go into gas and tires for track day :)

Not to mention the Bandit has handle bars not clip ons you can also ride this bike for 6-8hrs and not be in pain or terribly sore the next day. It really is a good all around bike. Especially for beginners.

d0nny2600

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2014, 08:46:10 AM »
Stock sure naked sure, buy a flipped fly screen I had no problems getting her up over 150mph and yes you feel some wind wobble on the helmet but not enough to be uncomfortable or start a tank slapper.

Handling a pig...yes again with a stock set up. Ohlin / Progressive forks with spring, gold valve and rear shock to boot and a Bandit WILL keep up EASILY in the twisties. I've done it and so have MANY others.

Hayabusa 6 piston calipers are a direct bolt on mod as well. Add steel lines and HH pads and she can break with the best of them. If you really wanted to get fancy you can, with some modification put Hayabusa inverted forks on one.

Sounds like a lot of work but considering you can get a Bandit for $2500 (sometimes less on CL) and do all these mods for another $2500 (less if you do the wrenching) you have a race bike under $5000 that will smoke (given the riders skill level is there) most other liters costing much more. Money saved can go into gas and tires for track day :)
I agree with all of that. A bandit is a great bike for modding.
I'm lazy though - buying a busa and doing a few small mods was more than enough to keep a smile on my face. I have since sold it....  :(

SamoanIrishman

• Getbig IV
« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2014, 08:49:40 AM »
Sold it?? Damn, I can never see myself without a bike or two in the garage but I also understand when something has lost its luster. A buddy of mine wasn't a real hard core rider and sold his bike and got a boat. That next month a buddy of his at work who he rode with died when a cager hit the whole 5 rider group of which he more than likely would have been in if he didn't sell the bike! Pretty much solidified his decision...at least for a couple of years.

d0nny2600

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2014, 09:20:21 AM »
Sold it?? Damn, I can never see myself without a bike or two in the garage but I also understand when something has lost its luster. A buddy of mine wasn't a real hard core rider and sold his bike and got a boat. That next month a buddy of his at work who he rode with died when a cager hit the whole 5 rider group of which he more than likely would have been in if he didn't sell the bike! Pretty much solidified his decision...at least for a couple of years.
Yeah we had a baby and I had no time to go out on the busa so I sold it. I'll get one again though. I do miss it big time.

Les Grossman

• Getbig IV
« Reply #40 on: April 04, 2014, 09:23:04 AM »
I put a Penske shock and had Progressive do the forks (springs and re-valve) and I would pass GSXR's / R1's and the like all day at the track.

I had a full Yosh exhaust and a Dale Holeshot stage 2 carb kit, didn't do the CAM swap and actually went down a tooth in the front sprocket for more low end torque so on the straight away's they'd end up passing me half way out but then by turn 3 I had lead again.

What tracks are you riding on?

SamoanIrishman

• Getbig IV
« Reply #41 on: April 04, 2014, 12:59:18 PM »
PIR

http://portlandraceway.com/

and several others in the NW and West Coast. Spent most of my money in Portland since at the time I lived in Vancouver WA (across the border about 20 min away)

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: April 04, 2014, 01:22:13 PM »
\m/ \m/

SamoanIrishman

• Getbig IV
« Reply #43 on: April 04, 2014, 01:55:03 PM »
I definitely like choppers but that would be and ego type ride for me. Simply cause they look and sound bad ass.