Author Topic: 78% Favor Proof of Citizenship Before Being Allowed to Vote  (Read 6660 times)

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
Re: 78% Favor Proof of Citizenship Before Being Allowed to Vote
« Reply #50 on: April 02, 2014, 06:57:20 AM »
You're right; It refers to federal voter registration forms. 

Anyway, informative thread.  I did not know that non-citizens are allowed to vote in some local elections.

Care to list which local elections non-citizens are allowed to vote in?

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #51 on: April 03, 2014, 05:33:02 AM »
RRKore, care to list which local elections non-citizens are allowed to vote in?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #52 on: April 03, 2014, 10:45:27 AM »

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #53 on: April 04, 2014, 06:05:26 AM »

RRKore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #54 on: April 05, 2014, 03:53:38 PM »

Why?  Are you not familiar with the Google?

Anyway, here's one:  City elections in Takoma Park, Maryland. 

Green card holders (who are not citizens) have apparently been able to vote in city elections there since 1992.

The google tells of more, but I'm gonna give you credit for knowing how to look them up on your own.

Now, what's your point?

RRKore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #55 on: April 07, 2014, 12:30:16 PM »

Sorry, BB.  I was driving cross-country;  My job is paying for my relocation from shitty, pollen-filled NC to sunny SoCal. 

Anyway, per Google, there seem to be quite a few city-level elections around the country that are open to non-citizens (green-card holders only, it looks like).

What's the big deal?  Honest question.  Many green-card holders (my wife is one) have jobs and pay taxes so why shouldn't they vote in local elections?

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #56 on: April 07, 2014, 12:39:46 PM »
Sorry, BB.  I was driving cross-country;  My job is paying for my relocation from shitty, pollen-filled NC to sunny SoCal. 

Anyway, per Google, there seem to be quite a few city-level elections around the country that are open to non-citizens (green-card holders only, it looks like).

What's the big deal?  Honest question.  Many green-card holders (my wife is one) have jobs and pay taxes so why shouldn't they vote in local elections?

Allergies not much better in SoCal.  :(

BTW, why is your wife a green card holder?  Are you in a waiting period for her to become a citizen?

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #57 on: April 07, 2014, 12:40:41 PM »
If we were better at checking voting id and bc and records - we would never have had to deal with having a Kenyan communist slug in the WH

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #58 on: April 07, 2014, 05:48:58 PM »

Green card holders (who are not citizens) have apparently been able to vote in city elections there since 1992.

The google tells of more, but I'm gonna give you credit for knowing how to look them up on your own.

Now, what's your point?

If that's true then why did a councilman introduce a bill to permit green card holders to vote in December 2013? 

http://wamu.org/news/13/12/03/dc_legislator_wants_non_citizen_legal_residents_to_be_allowed_to_vote

RRKore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #59 on: April 08, 2014, 03:41:52 AM »
If that's true then why did a councilman introduce a bill to permit green card holders to vote in December 2013? 

http://wamu.org/news/13/12/03/dc_legislator_wants_non_citizen_legal_residents_to_be_allowed_to_vote

Uh, because the District of Columbia and Takoma Park, Maryland aren't the same place?

(WTF, dude, reading comprehension much?)

From your own article:
The DC councilman Grosso introduced a bill in Dec 2013 for green card holders to vote in local elections IN THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA.

Green-card holders have been voting in local elections since 1992 IN TAKHOMA PARK, MARYLAND.

From your own article:
In 1992, residents of Takoma Park, Md. voted in a referendum to allow non-citizens to vote in local elections. The proposal passed narrowly, 1,199 to 1,107, and allows even undocumented immigrants to vote, provided they have lived in the city for 21 days preceding an election.

Six other locations — three towns, three villages — in Montgomery County allow the same. In 2004, Council member Jim Graham (D-Ward 1) introduced a bill to the same effect in D.C., but it was rejected. Last May, legislators in New York considered a bill of their own that would allow non-citizen legal residents to cast ballots.

RRKore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #60 on: April 08, 2014, 03:55:56 AM »
Allergies not much better in SoCal.  :(

BTW, why is your wife a green card holder?  Are you in a waiting period for her to become a citizen?

Hmmm, my sinus issues have improved greatly in the short time I've been in SoCal.  Maybe it's not the pollen, though -- I'm living in the "Inland Empire"  (lol, that still sounds weird to me) so maybe the air being so much drier than in Raleigh is why I'm feeling better.

My wife is a green card holder because she's from Thailand.  She's been here just over 5 years now.  She isn't trying to become a citizen just yet;  Her green card is of the 10-year variety (there's a 2-year one, too, I think) so we have a little time before spending the money to get that done.  Immigration the legal way (petitioning for fiancee visa and then for a green card), even without the help of a lawyer, costs some money.  Not sure how much the citizenship stuff costs yet, but we won't put it off too long.

RRKore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #61 on: April 08, 2014, 04:01:06 AM »
Uh, because the District of Columbia and Takoma Park, Maryland aren't the same place?

From your own article:
The DC councilman Grosso introduced a bill in Dec 2013 for green card holders to vote in local elections IN THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA.

Green-card holders have been voting in local elections since 1992 IN TAKHOMA PARK, MARYLAND.

From your own article:
In 1992, residents of Takoma Park, Md. voted in a referendum to allow non-citizens to vote in local elections. The proposal passed narrowly, 1,199 to 1,107, and allows even undocumented immigrants to vote, provided they have lived in the city for 21 days preceding an election.

Six other locations — three towns, three villages — in Montgomery County allow the same. In 2004, Council member Jim Graham (D-Ward 1) introduced a bill to the same effect in D.C., but it was rejected. Last May, legislators in New York considered a bill of their own that would allow non-citizen legal residents to cast ballots.

In your defense, BB, the way that article was written is a little confusing.  

Not surprising, though -- It was written by a green card holder. ;D

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #62 on: April 08, 2014, 04:07:50 AM »
A can kind of see how a long term green card holder might be awarded the right to vote after an extended stay particularly if they intend to acquire citizenship
A

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #63 on: April 08, 2014, 11:06:08 AM »

From your own article:

From your own article:

Not a reading comprehension.  Just careless.  My bad. 

But I will say I don't really make a distinction between D.C. and Maryland geographically.  And I got a ticket for driving in a "toll" lane last year.   >:(

RRKore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #64 on: April 08, 2014, 12:42:30 PM »
Not a reading comprehension.  Just careless.  My bad. 

But I will say I don't really make a distinction between D.C. and Maryland geographically.  And I got a ticket for driving in a "toll" lane last year.   >:(

No worries. 

If it makes ya feel any better I got a 10 over speeding ticket in Arizona and got stopped with just a warning in Oklahoma for what I seriously suspect was nothing more than having out-of-state plates during my recent cross-country drive.  (Which reminds me, I need to try to use google to find out what will happen if I don't do anything about that Arizona ticket...)

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #65 on: April 18, 2014, 07:03:56 AM »

Now, what's your point?

RRKore, thank you!  I stand corrected.

I apologize for thinking you were a 24KT/JaguarEnterprises gimmick.  I still say she messed up in this thread and won't admit she was wrong.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #66 on: April 18, 2014, 07:12:56 AM »
Hmmm, my sinus issues have improved greatly in the short time I've been in SoCal.  Maybe it's not the pollen, though -- I'm living in the "Inland Empire"  (lol, that still sounds weird to me) so maybe the air being so much drier than in Raleigh is why I'm feeling better.

My wife is a green card holder because she's from Thailand.  She's been here just over 5 years now.  She isn't trying to become a citizen just yet;  Her green card is of the 10-year variety (there's a 2-year one, too, I think) so we have a little time before spending the money to get that done.  Immigration the legal way (petitioning for fiancee visa and then for a green card), even without the help of a lawyer, costs some money.  Not sure how much the citizenship stuff costs yet, but we won't put it off too long.

RRKore, best of luck with your wife obtaining US citizenship.  It will cost you about $1,500 without a lawyer.  A lawyer is not necessary.

I recommend you and your wife get this done ASAP, not just for the right to vote and to hold a government job, but for other more important reasons.  I am sure you are aware of them.  

If your wife travels outside the US, and for whatever unfortunate reason gets stuck outside the US longer than six months, her permanent resident status maybe revoked permanently.

I also read from an immigration attorney about a case where a non-citizen, legal permanent resident got into a bar fight.  He is married to an American citizen, has kids born in the US and he himself had lived in the US for years.  The guy got taken to court for hurting someone in the bar fight.  The judge somehow managed to get the guy's permanent residence revoked and the guy was deported.  It was all done legally.  The attorney who wrote about this said this is one reason why non-citizen US residents should behave and seek citizenship ASAP.

RRKore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #67 on: April 18, 2014, 10:19:00 AM »

If your wife travels outside the US, and for whatever unfortunate reason gets stuck outside the US longer than six months, her permanent resident status maybe revoked permanently.

Yikes!  I did not know this.  And considering we do go back to Thailand (every 2 years) where it's possible that red shirt/yellow shirt political shenanigans could tie up the airport like back in 2010, this is something to think about.

thanks

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #68 on: April 20, 2014, 07:00:24 PM »
RRKore, thank you!  I stand corrected.

I apologize for thinking you were a 24KT/JaguarEnterprises gimmick.  I still say she messed up in this thread and won't admit she was wrong.

ROTFLMAO!!!
w