Author Topic: Should election day be a national holiday, and which party benefits?  (Read 603 times)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
I think the Dems would benefit.  Older/retired people tend to lean repub.  Younger people working more hours/kids have a hard time waiting 4+ hours to vote in places like Florida.

Agree to disagree?  Should election day be a national holiday?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Most if not all states already mandate that employees can take time off to vote.  It doesn't take all day. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
Most if not all states already mandate that employees can take time off to vote.  It doesn't take all day.  

Analysis: 201,000 in Florida didn't vote because of long lines
http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2013-01-29/business/os-voter-lines-statewide-20130118_1_long-lines-sentinel-analysis-state-ken-detzner

In FL and OH, two of the most important swing states, voters had to wait up to 7 hours to vote:
http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2012/11/no-one-in-america-should-have-to-wait-7-hours-to-vote/264506/

So yeah, in some places, it DOES take all day to vote.  And I an tell you in SW Florida... it was rainy and 3-4 hours line to vote.  How many elderly people (that vote more repub) can stand in the rain for 4 or more hours to vote?  Hmmmm maybe repubs would benefit here lol... Mccain won lee and collier county with 55%, I believe... and people there are waiting hours to vote?  Gov Scott, fix this!

AbrahamG

• Getbig V
  • Team Pfizer
I'd rather see multiple day voting including weekends as well as same day registration with valid identification.  Would benefit Democrats for certain.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
Analysis: 201,000 in Florida didn't vote because of long lines
http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2013-01-29/business/os-voter-lines-statewide-20130118_1_long-lines-sentinel-analysis-state-ken-detzner

In FL and OH, two of the most important swing states, voters had to wait up to 7 hours to vote:
http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2012/11/no-one-in-america-should-have-to-wait-7-hours-to-vote/264506/

So yeah, in some places, it DOES take all day to vote.  And I an tell you in SW Florida... it was rainy and 3-4 hours line to vote.  How many elderly people (that vote more repub) can stand in the rain for 4 or more hours to vote?  Hmmmm maybe repubs would benefit here lol... Mccain won lee and collier county with 55%, I believe... and people there are waiting hours to vote?  Gov Scott, fix this!

The first link doesn't say how long voters stood in line.

Your second comment and link is grossly misleading as it relates to Florida and flat out false when it comes to Ohio.  Shocker.  From the second link:

For example, what happened this weekend in Florida is simply unacceptable. According to a local election official interviewed by CBS News' Phil Hirschkorn, the last "early voter" in line for Saturday's truncated early voting in Palm Beach County finally got to cast a ballot at 2:30 a.m Sunday morning, which means that voter waited in line for more than seven hours. In Miami, another traditional Democratic stronghold, the wait was said to be nearly as long.

So, one local election official in Florida said one voter waited in line for more than seven hours.  An unknown number waited "nearly as long" in Miami.  It says nothing about Ohio. 

Do you ever tell the truth?  (Rhetorical question.)

And no, you don't make national public policy because a handful of people have to wait in long lines to vote. 

"How many elderly people (that vote more repub) can stand in the rain for 4 or more hours to vote?"   ::)  How many 7' tall Japanese men with blue eyes walk on hot coals to vote?  Probably a ton. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
The first link doesn't say how long voters stood in line.

6 hours in miami
http://fusion.net/abc_univision/story/early-florida-voters-wait-long-hours-line-vote-17860

7 hours in lee county
http://www.news-press.com/story/news/2013/12/15/lee-election-among-the-worst-run/1577410/

"How many elderly people (that vote more repub) can stand in the rain for 4 or more hours to vote?"   ::)  How many 7' tall Japanese men with blue eyes walk on hot coals to vote?  Probably a ton. 

Florida did have the highest percentage of senior citizens -- residents aged 65 or older -- at 17.3%.

More than 83 percent of this population registered to vote in the last election. That is the largest percentage of voters out of all other demographic groups. Furthermore, of the 83 percent who can vote, more than 74 percent actually cast a ballot, accounting for the highest voter turnout of any demographic.

So yes, elderly voters matter a great deal.  Do you need research showing their bodies don't like standing for 4 to 7 hours in the rain?  lol.

Finally, for the blame thing...
In Ohio, after attempting to cancel weekend early voting all together, Secretary of State Jon Husted (R) drastically rolled back early voting hours.
In Florida, Gov. Rick Scott (R) reduced the number of early voting days from 14 to 8.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
I would read the links you posted, but I don't feel like having to show how you lied again. 

Yes, tons of elderly people are "standing for 4 to 7 hours in the rain."  They're probably standing next to all those 18 year old Canadian immigrants who spent the night at the polls, barefoot, in the snow. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
I would read the links you posted, but I don't feel like having to show how you lied again. 

Yes, tons of elderly people are "standing for 4 to 7 hours in the rain."  They're probably standing next to all those 18 year old Canadian immigrants who spent the night at the polls, barefoot, in the snow. 

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
When I was a kid everyone voted at a local school or church that was within walking distance, but around 2004 (I think) everything was moved around and now you have to drive a location in the middle of town.

???