Author Topic: 20 rep lunges  (Read 4384 times)

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
20 rep lunges
« on: February 03, 2013, 10:05:20 AM »
Hey guys

I have done 20rep squats wit success in the past. I performed them twice one week and once the next (on those days I did a couple sets of bench, pullups - on the other day I did some shrugs/arm work).

I suffered a lower back disc injury a while back and if I was to do this again using squats I would need to start with essentially just the bar (wlthough my legs have kept their size through lunges and hill bike work.

So my main question was to ask about the thoughts of doing this routine using lunges? I know squats are favoured, but 20 reps (per leg) lunges are not pleasant and should elicit some of the same response.

Thoughts?

Davie
It isn't the mountains ah

AVBG

Re: 20 rep lunges
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2013, 10:11:50 AM »
Great idea to get the fibres firing when injured.

Yev33

• Getbig III
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2013, 10:17:16 AM »
20 rep per leg walking lunges are no joke. While it might not be as good as squatting lunges are still a great alternative.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2013, 11:07:10 AM »
Lunges are always good. There are walking and stationary lunges. There are also lunges walking up a slight hill. With stationary, a low platform (around 6") to step on, can be used. Only problem may be too much of a lateral movement when attempting too heavy a weight or when fatigue sets in. You do want a good stretch for the hams also.

Another option might be true step-up's. Rather than have a BB on the shoulders, you might hold a DB while doing these. With a DB, the weight in not directly on the back so no extra weight is transferring to the lower disc/spine. The weight is below the hip line. A step-up box/bench is usually around the height of the knee. Some gyms will have an assortment of different heights, which can be stacked upon each other for whatever height you wish.

Step-ups are not to be confused with one legged squats, which is another good exercise. Also can hold a DB, rather than having a BB on the back. Can do these from the floor or standing on a box, bench, etc. Higher reps can be a killer in either step-ups or one legged squats, if new to these. Quite a lot of older gentleman prefer step-ups to regular squats, the ones I have experienced with anyway. Good Luck.

F

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2013, 11:56:25 AM »
I would try Dumbbell squats, holding a bell in each hand and straps can be used with higher weight. It does not stress the lower back like barbell squats and you can squat high rep too...oldtimer wrote a good post about Dumbbell squats. although i can imagine 20 rep lunges are very intensive too !! At the end of the day results are what counts and if you can do it with lunges then your on the right way.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2013, 11:59:00 AM »
Great idea to get the fibres firing when injured.
get the fibres firing...i like that ..

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2013, 06:06:15 AM »
Davey, I'm not an expert, but the ideas referenced here by Don, JPM, & oldtimer have benefitted me on a personal level. I have semi-recurring lumbro-sacral issues, and exercises in which the weight is held below the body's center of gravity are much more forgiving on the lower back region.

There's no guarantee that this type of training will not yield problems for you; a disc issue is serious, and has the potential to worsen.
But - if you decide to try the principles mentioned above - you may also wish to experiment with Jefferson squats and old-fashioned barbell hack squats (not the machine).

Also, I knew two national-level female bodybuilders who had outstanding leg/glute development. Both used step-ups as a mainstay in their leg training. Some gyms offer step-up machines consisting of an adjustable height platform with two cable weights to use in lieu of dumbbells, which is ideal for performing drop sets - although, if using db's, you can always just ditch them at the end and rep out with body weight.

Lunges are also intense. Personally, I've found the barbell version to be more challenging since more work is required to balance the bar, which may recruit more fibers. But, the db version is much safer, and will also build your hand and forearm muscles as farmer's walks do for a lot of guys.

Whatever you do, do it safely, friend!!

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2013, 06:25:54 AM »
I Learn a lot from you too Monty...  ;)

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2013, 06:28:27 AM »
I Learn a lot from you too Monty...  ;)

Thanks, brother.
It's cyclical. We all help and learn from each other...

Except for Pumpster, who's a dick.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2013, 06:33:36 AM »
Does he still post here? Before my time I think

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2013, 06:42:31 AM »
Does he still post here? Before my time I think

He may lurk under a different name, or not at all.

I honestly don't know, but his writing style is easily identifiable: argumentive, confrontational, condescending, and often inaccurate.
He once allegedly spoke with Larry Scott over the phone and "was not impressed." ::)

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2013, 06:48:54 AM »

He may lurk under a different name, or not at all.

I honestly don't know, but his writing style is easily identifiable: argumentive, confrontational, condescending, and often inaccurate.
He once allegedly spoke with Larry Scott over the phone and "was not impressed." ::)
hmmm...doubt if larry scott would waste his time with someone like that. no doubt showed disrespect and when you talk to a guy like Larry scott you shut up and listen. I can only say my best moments were talking to Bill Pearl, i had even more respect for the man after speaking to him ! great man.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2013, 07:00:08 AM »
hmmm...doubt if larry scott would waste his time with someone like that. no doubt showed disrespect and when you talk to a guy like Larry scott you shut up and listen. I can only say my best moments were talking to Bill Pearl, i had even more respect for the man after speaking to him ! great man.

I believe that someone else on this board spoke with Pearl several times and said the exact same thing. I know that Coach used to train with him for a time years and years ago.
No doubt, Bill Pearl is all class!

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2013, 07:06:44 AM »

I believe that someone else on this board spoke with Pearl several times and said the exact same thing. I know that Coach used to train with him for a time years and years ago.
No doubt, Bill Pearl is all class!
yes great man and i also spoke to his wife. also very polite. I know i wrote this all before but i was very impressed he spoke so warm and friendly and made time.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2013, 06:04:36 PM »
i do dumbell lunges 15/20 steps per leg walking ,,,if i do free standing leg at a time bar on back same 12-15 per.great exercise for total leg seperation/condition.

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2013, 11:57:25 AM »
Thanks for the replies guys.

Im trying to simplify the workouts a little. Im learning through trial and a good deal of error that longer workouts (I dont just mean long on any one particular bodypart, but a long time in general) leaving me feeling nackered. My diet is leaving me energised most of the time, but I think I need to train short and to the point with simple basic stuff. It doesnt have to be heavy and bone crushing weights (my post rugby career lower back/shoulders wont take it anyway), just 1,2,3 movements and out and recover.

Richard
It isn't the mountains ah

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2013, 12:11:38 PM »
hey Richard...good to see another Scot on here

AVBG

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2013, 01:06:12 PM »
Depending on the condition of your injury and mobility, an idea I'd recommend is to include plyometrics (see link) http://www.exrx.net/Lists/PowerExercises.html

I incorporated some jumps when I had a similar injury to Monty and really got over the injury when I focused on improving my core strength. Anyway just some food for thought.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2013, 01:18:11 PM »
Depending on the condition of your injury and mobility, an idea I'd recommend is to include plyometrics (see link) http://www.exrx.net/Lists/PowerExercises.html

I incorporated some jumps when I had a similar injury to Monty and really got over the injury when I focused on improving my core strength. Anyway just some food for thought.

Yeah, I suspect that "core-strengthening" is often over/misused as a marketing gimmick, but the principle does have practical applications. Learning how, and the ability to keep certain muscles tight when moving certain ways does provide benefit for people with our type of problem.

While I've read articles discussing postural and muscle-strengthening remedies, I'm not familiar with the use of jump techniques for that purpose; although it does make sense. Thanks for the link. I look forward to experimenting!

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2013, 08:07:57 AM »

Yeah, I suspect that "core-strengthening" is often over/misused as a marketing gimmick, but the principle does have practical applications. Learning how, and the ability to keep certain muscles tight when moving certain ways does provide benefit for people with our type of problem.

While I've read articles discussing postural and muscle-strengthening remedies, I'm not familiar with the use of jump techniques for that purpose; although it does make sense. Thanks for the link. I look forward to experimenting!
yes i always try to keep an open mind too...