Author Topic: PHYSIQUE - Success or Failure?  (Read 12269 times)

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
PHYSIQUE - Success or Failure?
« on: June 14, 2014, 04:49:00 PM »
The NPC has grown by leaps and ‘pounds’ since the inception of the relatively new Physique divisions (Male and Female).

NPC events that drew less than 100 contestants  just a few years back are now nearly filoled to capacity with 700+ contestants during a one -day event  .... are somewhat normal today

And the number of IFBB Pro Cards that are now issued on a yearly basis far exceeds the number of Pro Cards issued since the years between Scott and Wheeler in which that coveted award was presented.

Some see this as bad, while most others see this as a great  opportunity that will allow new competitors the opportunity to make a living while doing something that  they love
to do.  

Many years ago, a bodybuilder was cpnsidered to be a “pro” if he competied in a bodybuilding contest in which there was as cash award. And any competitor who won that cash award (or something of monetary value other than the standard trophy) would be considered to be a “pro”  and  coul thereby ce declared as  ineligible in any future NPC event.

In addition …. the IFBB would not consider that individual to be eligible to compete within IFBB events,

So now a relatively large number of individuals have the capability and potential to win that Pro Card and compete within IFBB events with the hopes of  a  financial rreturn.

So the big questions now are …

How many Physique Events are promoted within the IFBB that offer financial winnings?  

What is the amount of those financial awards?

Is there enough of a ‘reward’ to maintain the interest of the vast number of contenders who have received IFBB Physque Pro cards  within the past few years?

And … How many male and female Pro Physique contestants are there within the IFBB today who display enough interest in future competitions to maintain their yearly IFBB membership?

How many Physique pros have noteworthy contracts within the suppliment/fitness business today?

Most Get-Biggers will not agree,… but it appears to me that these Physique Division events  will be the bread and butter of the NPC and  IFBB in the immediate future ..,,and may damn well be the “Golden Egg” right now in this present day.

Physique – The future of bodybuilding as we used to know it ????

Lustral

• Getbig V
  • FREE NOODLES
Re: PHYSIQUE - Success or Failure?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2014, 04:54:22 PM »
Physique is like bikini. Look at O scorecards, they have no clue what to look for.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2014, 04:57:32 PM »
Thanks, Lustral, But do you think that 'no clue' excuse will have an adverse effect on the future of Physique events?

Can someone post the Olympia Physique scorecards for 2012 and 2013?

Lustral

• Getbig V
  • FREE NOODLES
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2014, 05:01:58 PM »
As far as I'm aware you pay to enter these shows. Add in the two to four people who come to watch each competitor plus the bbing shmoes and it equates to a full house. That's all promoters care about and what they want is good for the bbing industry,

ENZO

• Competitors
  • Getbig III
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2014, 05:04:34 PM »
Physique is good for the IFBB it attracts a much larger audience. Many competitors land good sponsor deals and are much easier to market. I personally want to look nothing like Kai Or Phil. Sectors like this, wbff and musclemania are bringing aesthetic pleasing builds back.

Lustral

• Getbig V
  • FREE NOODLES
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2014, 05:05:38 PM »
You already have a perfect pussy slaying physique Enzo, that;s what it's about. No homo.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2014, 10:00:48 AM »
LUSTrAL / ENZO, Thanks for the intelligent responses.

I know very little about Physique competitions but I do agree that they have increased tickert sales and that there are a hell of a lot more competitors entering these Physique events that whose who are entering the bodybuilding events.

And that  means a huge increase in ticket sales and increased interest among the general public. (Thanks, ENZO!)

Can anyone list the top ten IFBB physique pros (male and female) who have been signed by supplement companies. I have no idea who they may be other than the LV physique contender who won the Oly Physique title recently whose name i have presently forgotten.

It is my contention that these top physique pros will be in big demand by the sup companies once the general public is more aware of these physique events and those individuals participating within them.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2014, 10:12:08 AM »
Physique is good for the IFBB it attracts a much larger audience. Many competitors land good sponsor deals and are much easier to market. I personally want to look nothing like Kai Or Phil. Sectors like this, wbff and musclemania are bringing aesthetic pleasing builds back.

This.  Who cares if someone has a another 3" on his arm when he looks like 250 lbs of shit in a 200 lb bag.

TommyBoy

• Getbig IV
  • What's the vector, Victor?
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2014, 10:28:09 AM »
I assume they are making money like gangbusters on physique. Go to a show and it's like 2:1 physique to BBer now.

Skylge

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2014, 10:45:32 AM »

Wayne looking fantastic

the trainer

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2014, 11:01:08 AM »
Physique guys should wear something like this so you can see their quads those long shorts are a fucking joke.

Right now its the NPC johnny bravo physique competition.

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2014, 11:13:15 AM »
It makes logical sense Stunt. I agree with ENZO on this as well.

If you were to compare the line up of IFBB pros from the golden era of bodybuilding to today's Men's Physique lineup, you would find that they look much more similar to each other, than if you were to compare them to a present day lineup of actual IFBB Olympia competitors.

Take a look for yourself. I'd much rather look like a Men's Physique competitor than a Mr. Olympia contestant any day.

Today's look is just too much. It doesn't inspire a sense of health and well-being, instead it leads the mass public to see professional bodybuilding as a strange cult following with an obsession to drugs and mass-enhancing oils.

There's a simple everyday test to check for this as well. Throw on a business suit on Men's Physique competitors and they look good in it. Throw on a business suit on the pro bodybuilders from the golden era and they also look good in it. Try to throw on a suit on today's Mr. Olympia competitors and this happens:

"1"

Mr. MB

• Getbig III
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2014, 11:38:36 AM »
The increase in audience size is in proportion to the male/female competitors plus Bikini. It is NOT the average citizen coming off the street as a fan to buy a ticket and take a look. Bodybuilders are loners for the most part. They bring to the shows a GF, wife or a few good buds from the gym. However....The Physique and Bikini competitors bring the whole freakin family plus friends. That is what is filling the seats. None the less....money for those who run the shows and Jim Manion et al. (NPC cards)

It will be with us from here on out.

falco

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2014, 11:51:28 AM »

ENZO

• Competitors
  • Getbig III
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2014, 11:55:31 AM »
LUSTrAL / ENZO, Thanks for the intelligent responses.

I know very little about Physique competitions but I do agree that they have increased tickert sales and that there are a hell of a lot more competitors entering these Physique events that whose who are entering the bodybuilding events.

And that  means a huge increase in ticket sales and increased interest among the general public. (Thanks, ENZO!)

Can anyone list the top ten IFBB physique pros (male and female) who have been signed by supplement companies. I have no idea who they may be other than the LV physique contender who won the Oly Physique title recently whose name i have presently forgotten.

It is my contention that these top physique pros will be in big demand by the sup companies once the general public is more aware of these physique events and those individuals participating within them.

Marc Anthony and Steve Cook are 2 US physique pros that come to mind in terms of being in every magazine with multiple sponsors.

The goals of competitors in this realm are different than a typical bodybuilder. Most want mainstream exposure through modeling campaigns and fitness endorsements. 2 guys with very successful careers and sick builds are my brothers Sergi Constance and Jaco De Bruyn

Me getting dwarfed

WannaBePro

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2014, 12:01:24 PM »
The way I see it is mens physique is destroying bodybuilding but building up the NPC/IFBB. Its destroying bodybuilding in the sense that most guys aren't willing to risk their health pumping themselves full of gear and hate training legs, so they build up their upper bodies on minimal juice and have a chance at a pro card. Bodybuilders have to not only train like animals but resort to injecting boatloads of shit just to place top 10 at the nats or usas. Hell, IFBB gives out pro cards to jr nat, jr usa, and the rest of the national level shows to physique guys. The writing is on the wall, look at any local/regional show, there are usually less than 20 bodybuilders and more than 150 physique guys! Either bodybuilders need to size down and look more like human beings or this activity will die as the NPC and IFBB rake in the money with T&A shows and legless physique guys.
I personally think classical bodybuilding is where its at. Don't let these guys become grotesque turds with pregnant guts, rather encourage them to work on their posing and symmetry.

timfogarty

• Getbig V
  • @fogartyTim on twitter
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2014, 12:38:53 PM »
why is women's Physique really just bodybuilding light, with flexing and posing routines, but men's Physique is stand and model, no different than women's bikini?.  Men's physique is great for the promoters but not really competition bodybuilding.  

Outside the US, "Classical bodybuilding" divisions, where there were weight/height limitations, were becoming popular, but not so much now with Physique taking over.

In the NPC, fewer and fewer contestants are entering the men's bodybuilding classes.  Just like women's Bodybuilding before it, real soon there will be local NPC contests with no men's bodybuilding.  But while the women have bodybulding-lite in women's Physique, there is no corresponding division for the men.

The orgs could have easily created a division for more aesthetically pleasing that still contained flexing and posing routines. Why they went with the board shorts and stand and model, I don't understand.

But whether it is Bodybuilding, Classical Bodybuilding, or Physique, the type of physiques that win is solely up to the judges.  And just like bodybuilding before it, the judges in men's Physique keep rewarding mass and conditioning over symmetry and proportionality.  Look at the changes over the last few years in the winners of the national and pro men's Physique contests.  The judges are rewarding who ever is bigger, drier,  and has lower bodyfat.  In other words the contestants are having to do more and more drugs to be able to compete.  So while today the fans can relate more to the guys in the Physique classes, with more guys at the gym saying "hey I can do that" and then go enter a contest, the judges continue to reward the more extreme physiques, making the fans relate less, and making most of the contestants think "why should I enter? I can't compete with the guys doing all those drugs." And then we'll be right back where we started.

mazrim

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2014, 12:54:05 PM »
Marc Anthony and Steve Cook are 2 US physique pros that come to mind in terms of being in every magazine with multiple sponsors.

The goals of competitors in this realm are different than a typical bodybuilder. Most want mainstream exposure through modeling campaigns and fitness endorsements. 2 guys with very successful careers and sick builds are my brothers Sergi Constance and Jaco De Bruyn

Me getting dwarfed

Those are def big guys. Ideal looks.

basil

• Getbig IV
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2014, 01:10:57 PM »

Mel Brooks looking pretty swole in that pic.

The physique contest is up there with the douchiest things I've ever heard of.  All hair gel, bleached teeth and frosted tips. 

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Physique vs BB
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2014, 01:32:16 PM »
THanks to you all .... some great and interesting comments here, most of which I have a problem disagreeing with.

And that 'disagreement' is only a result my personal differences from the way I th ink it should be done. But I plan to read each of these posts in detail and make some adverse comments if possible for the sake of argument.

But you gotta remember ... NPC/IBBB Physique competitions are still in the 'infancy" stage and changes could possibly be made as the 'sport' matures.

If any change is made at all .... I think it will be "shorter shorts" in an effort to encourage leg development as THE TRAINER so aptly displayed above.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2014, 01:49:34 PM »
My initial attempt to reply to each of the above.....

ENZO ... First of all thanks for the kick to my memory banks. I always forget Mark Anthony's name. Wasn't he the guy who killed Caesar or the guy who made that famous speech about "Lend me your ears!"?

I've talked to Mark a number of times at the Oly Expo and other events and have also met Sergi Constance during the Meet Thr Olympians at the Orleans.  It was evident that he would get a Pro Card. I'll try to find the photo I took that evening.

And I had a brief meeting with JACO when he was here in LV competing in another contest that was sponsored by another organization.

In my humble opinion Jaco is as good as you can get within the Physique comopetitive world but I was told that he only took the 3rd place award that evening.. (Someone may want to confirm this because I could be wrong,.)

I think Jaco is from some major city in South Africa and has yet to compete within the NPC but he would be one hell of a great contender within the IFBB.

Lustral

• Getbig V
  • FREE NOODLES
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2014, 01:49:49 PM »
The shorts and "posing" are a joke. They also need clear judging criteria, I was reading people's predictions before the last O then, same as bikini, the placing was like a raffle.

I knew the guys had good size but seeing that photo with Enzo they are damn big dudes. Seeing Cutler in that pic with the camouflage makes you realise how shitty modern bbers look to Joe Public. No way they could get a movie role even if they weren't mildly handicapped at acting (Wolf).

Core

• Getbig III
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2014, 01:55:42 PM »
My initial attempt to reply to ech of the above.....

ENZO ... First of all thank for the kick to my memory banks. I always forget Mark Anthony's name. Wasn't he the guy who killed Caesar or the guy who made that famous speech about "Lend me your ears!"?

I've talkewd to Mark a number of times at the Oly Expo and other events and jave also met Sergi Constance during the Meet Thr Olympians at the Orleans.  It was evident that he would get a Pro Card. I'll try to find the photo I took that evening.

And I had a brief meeting with JACO when he was here in LV competing in another contest that was sponsored by another organization.

In my humble opinion Jaco is as good as you can get within the Physique comopetitive world but I was told that he only took the 3rd place award that evening.. (Someone may want to confirm this because I could be wrong,.)

I think Jaco is from some major city in South Africa and has yet to compete within the NPC but he would be one hell of a great contender within the IFBB.

Jaco is in the wbff and would wipe the floor with most npc and ifbb physique pros. He'd wipe the floor with many guys from arnolds era too imo. He'd crush frank Zane for one.

the trainer

« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2014, 02:07:23 PM »
Why do people keep talking about ideal look in bodybuilding, can the average athlete play like michael jordon, can they run like usain bolt, can they knockout people like mike tyson, no they cant that is why these extreme athletes makes good money.
 So why the hell do you want the best bodybuilders in the world to look like average gym rats, that is why I say fuck physique contests hardcore bodybuilding is what I watch.

ENZO

• Competitors
  • Getbig III
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2014, 02:17:13 PM »
My initial attempt to reply to each of the above.....

ENZO ... First of all thanks for the kick to my memory banks. I always forget Mark Anthony's name. Wasn't he the guy who killed Caesar or the guy who made that famous speech about "Lend me your ears!"?

I've talked to Mark a number of times at the Oly Expo and other events and have also met Sergi Constance during the Meet Thr Olympians at the Orleans.  It was evident that he would get a Pro Card. I'll try to find the photo I took that evening.

Yup he took 3rd. AJ Elisson was first, I prefer competing in WBFF (no stupid board shorts)..physique still has kinks to work out.