Author Topic: Texas man told to remove American flag over 'threat' toward Muslims  (Read 7272 times)

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
Re: Texas man told to remove American flag over 'threat' toward Muslims
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2014, 08:11:05 AM »
this is Happening in the UK too.. showing pride in your Country is considered provocation and racism now...

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2014, 12:16:28 PM »
I think the clear answer is to off all muslims.

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
  • Disdain/repugnance....Version 3: glare variation B
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2014, 12:20:12 PM »
Galaptaprel P. Muumenschaantz.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2014, 12:53:47 PM »
Too much docking with Roger Bacon has made them similar.  :-X

Nice docker none the less

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2014, 04:29:42 PM »
San Antonio is ok.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2014, 04:55:21 PM »

Roger can dock with the best of them.  :P :P :D :D
X

avxo

• Getbig V
  • Iron Pumping University Math Professor
« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2014, 05:00:22 PM »
The pretext for the removal of the flag is that it is a threat to muslims, not that it violates the rule of the apartment complex.

No, wrong. The person with the flag claims that the pretext for the removal request is that his flag display is a threat to Muslims and must be removed. Color me unconvinced.

The fact is that most apartment complexes spell out exactly what people can put in balconies and windows and control the size of any displays - even flags. I would imagine that this apartment complex is no different. In which case, I have to wonder why would they bother providing any reason other than "it violates section 7.9.2, on page 12 of your lease" especially a reason as "stupid" as what they, supposedly, provided.

So yeah, I'm inclined to believe that the guy complaining is making shit up.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2014, 05:15:24 PM »
The pretext for the removal of the flag is that it is a threat to muslims, not that it violates the rule of the apartment complex.  Do you agree that the flag is a threat to muslims?

What avxo said :)
X

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2014, 05:32:57 PM »
No, wrong. The person with the flag claims that the pretext for the removal request is that his flag display is a threat to Muslims and must be removed. Color me unconvinced.

The fact is that most apartment complexes spell out exactly what people can put in balconies and windows and control the size of any displays - even flags. I would imagine that this apartment complex is no different. In which case, I have to wonder why would they bother providing any reason other than "it violates section 7.9.2, on page 12 of your lease" especially a reason as "stupid" as what they, supposedly, provided.

So yeah, I'm inclined to believe that the guy complaining is making shit up.

he didn't make it up, that was the reason.

So Archer is right. i own a business, i can employ whoever I want and I can fire whoever I want but if I fire someone because they are black, then there is a problem. Reasoning counts for a lot nowadays, you just can't say I own the building, too bad.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2014, 05:35:22 PM »

So Archer is right. i own a business, i can employ whoever I want and I can fire whoever I want but if I fire someone because they are black, then there is a problem. Reasoning counts for a lot nowadays, you just can't say I own the building, too bad.

Where did you read this?

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2014, 05:47:10 PM »

OTH, but if its private property, then they have every right to dictate what can be go on a balcony. If the guidelines stated, "No flags shall be hung from balconies due to others feelings" then those are the rules he has to abide by. Does not make it right, but those are the rules and he signed the lease. Or would is still be considered illegal? Where are the getbig lawyers? :)
X

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2014, 08:54:11 PM »
OTH, but if its private property, then they have every right to dictate what can be go on a balcony. If the guidelines stated, "No flags shall be hung from balconies due to others feelings" then those are the rules he has to abide by. Does not make it right, but those are the rules and he signed the lease. Or would is still be considered illegal? Where are the getbig lawyers? :)
yes I am aware and you are right in the case she stated '' take down the flag'' that's it, just say that and say building rule but the second she gives a reason she is out of line.

avxo

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2014, 09:44:37 PM »

One word: BULLSHIT. You're talking out of your ass.

The community's manager published a statement (quoted in the original post) which said that while “she appreciates residents’ patriotism but displays must conform to community guidelines [...] to maintain the aesthetics of our apartment community and provide for the safety of all residents.” She also added: “The apartment community already proudly displays our country's flag in a safe and appropriate manner at the entrances to our community.”

You are just choosing to believe one side of this story and to not believe the other side because... I don't know... why?

Think about this logically. Not only would it be extremely stupid for any employee of the community in question to explicitly state that the reason was what the resident claims, if that was, indeed, the reason. But it would extremely unlikely that would provide such a reason anyways, since the community guidelines (like the guidelines of most communities) strictly control such displays.

I own a house now, but I've lived in apartments before; I guess you have as well. We both know how it works. Every apartment complex I lived had rules that limited what people could have in the porches, balconies and similar areas, and certainly limited what people could hang on the outside of the railing; hell, some places where I lived even limited what could be placed in such a way as to be seen through the windows.

It's true, for some things, you can't. But that's only for some things, where laws have (wisely or unwisely) been passed prohibiting discrimination based on certain factors. No such limitation or prohibitions exists about flags and a property owner can certainly have a "no flags hanging in your railing" policy.

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2014, 09:57:28 PM »
so what are we arguing here? I believe him, you don't? which is not the argument anyways, the argument is ''assuming its true'' is it wrong? and the answer is ''yes'' because of the reason behind it,...if it is not true (what he claimed she said) then who gives a flying fuck, it is a mute point.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2014, 10:11:41 PM »
yes I am aware and you are right in the case she stated '' take down the flag'' that's it, just say that and say building rule but the second she gives a reason she is out of line.

I agree that it could get sketchy once she gives a reason.
X

avxo

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2014, 10:13:19 PM »
so what are we arguing here? I believe him, you don't?

The difference is in the why. I am articulating the reasoning that supports my position. You are just saying: "I believe X." Well, whoop-dee-doo. You can believe the moon is made of cheese too; that doesn't mean that your belief is reasonable.

which is not the argument anyways, the argument is ''assuming its true'' is it wrong? and the answer is ''yes'' because of the reason behind it,

You say "yes" too easily. My answer is perhaps it's wrong. Maybe the owner of the property doesn't really like flying the flag - it's his right. I'm a libertarian an I believe that a property owner should be able to say to a tenant: "I don't want you flying the flag" for any reason - even for no reason at all - provided that he did not agree to forego that right while the property is leased to someone else.

...if it is not true (what he claimed she said) then who gives a flying fuck, it is a mute point.

Clearly people give a flying fuck; if the resident lied, that lie isn't without consequences. A lot of people are upset over this, the apartment complex might lose business, etc. You will forgive me if I don't find that to be a moot point.

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2014, 10:18:22 PM »
The difference is in the why. I am articulating the reasoning that supports my position. You are just saying: "I believe X." Well, whoop-dee-doo. You can believe the moon is made of cheese too; that doesn't mean that your belief is reasonable.

You say "yes" too easily. My answer is perhaps it's wrong. Maybe the owner of the property doesn't really like flying the flag - it's his right. I'm a libertarian an I believe that a property owner should be able to say to a tenant: "I don't want you flying the flag" for any reason - even for no reason at all - provided that he did not agree to forego that right while the property is leased to someone else.

Clearly people give a flying fuck; if the resident lied, that lie isn't without consequences. A lot of people are upset over this, the apartment complex might lose business, etc. You will forgive me if I don't find that to be a moot point.
I was referring to us here at getbig Einstein, the only reason we gave a fuck about the discussion.

avxo

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: June 20, 2014, 10:24:26 PM »
I was referring to us here at getbig Einstein, the only reason we gave a fuck about the discussion.

Clearly we give a fuck - there's a lively debate on this both here and in the politics board.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #44 on: June 20, 2014, 11:36:24 PM »
I would just buy an American Flag T-Shirt and stand on the balcony all day long.  What would they do then?

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #45 on: June 20, 2014, 11:46:46 PM »
I would just buy an American Flag T-Shirt and stand on the balcony all day long.  What would they do then?

X

BIG ACH

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: June 21, 2014, 02:08:52 AM »
I have an American flag proudly hung up at my home, let's see someone try to take it down!!  >:(

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #47 on: June 21, 2014, 02:11:19 AM »
I have an American flag proudly hung up at my home, let's see someone try to take it down!!  >:(

You have a beautiful home Big Ach

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #48 on: June 21, 2014, 02:19:09 AM »

No such thing as too much docking.

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #49 on: June 21, 2014, 06:05:39 AM »
One word: BULLSHIT. You're talking out of your ass.

The community's manager published a statement (quoted in the original post) which said that while “she appreciates residents’ patriotism but displays must conform to community guidelines [...] to maintain the aesthetics of our apartment community and provide for the safety of all residents.” She also added: “The apartment community already proudly displays our country's flag in a safe and appropriate manner at the entrances to our community.”

You are just choosing to believe one side of this story and to not believe the other side because... I don't know... why?

Think about this logically. Not only would it be extremely stupid for any employee of the community in question to explicitly state that the reason was what the resident claims, if that was, indeed, the reason. But it would extremely unlikely that would provide such a reason anyways, since the community guidelines (like the guidelines of most communities) strictly control such displays.

I own a house now, but I've lived in apartments before; I guess you have as well. We both know how it works. Every apartment complex I lived had rules that limited what people could have in the porches, balconies and similar areas, and certainly limited what people could hang on the outside of the railing; hell, some places where I lived even limited what could be placed in such a way as to be seen through the windows.

It's true, for some things, you can't. But that's only for some things, where laws have (wisely or unwisely) been passed prohibiting discrimination based on certain factors. No such limitation or prohibitions exists about flags and a property owner can certainly have a "no flags hanging in your railing" policy.

You're choosing to believe one side.  You dismissed the flag owners claim as bullshit.  What prompted the apartment complex to act?   What does the portion of the statement "provide for the safety of all residents" even mean and how is it relevent to the removal of the flag.  How is the flag a threat to the safety of residents?  Sounds like someone felt the flag threatened their safety and who might that be? The complex management specifically mentions safety of all the residents as a reason for the flags removal.  Is that a valid argument?
A