Author Topic: Texas man told to remove American flag over 'threat' toward Muslims  (Read 7197 times)

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/06/19/texas-man-claims-was-told-to-remove-american-flag-over-threat-to-muslim/

A Texas man is standing defiant after he claims he was told he had to remove an American flag from his balcony because it was a “threat towards the Muslim community.”

Duy Tran told KHOU that the American flag means a lot to him, so he decided to hang one from his balcony after moving into a new apartment in Webster, Texas.

However, he said that soon after he hung the flag, he was told by his apartment complex manager he had to remove it.

"What really stunned me is that she said it’s a threat towards the Muslim community,” Tran told the station. “I’m not a threat toward nobody."

In a statement to KHOU, the manager for Tran’s apartment complex, the Lodge at El Dorado, said she appreciates residents’ patriotism but displays must conform to community guidelines.

“Such guidelines maintain the aesthetics of our apartment community and provide for the safety of all residents,” the statement said. “The apartment community already proudly displays our country's flag in a safe and appropriate manner at the entrances to our community.”

Tran told KHOU he has no plans to remove his flag. He said he has friends who died for our country, and he feels flying a flag is the least he can do.

"I’m gonna leave my flag there, as an American, until she shows me proof that I don’t have the right to leave my flag there," he said.
X

hardgainerj

• Getbig V
Re: Texas man told to remove American flag over 'threat' toward Muslims
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2014, 10:05:55 PM »
wtffff

Fortress

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2014, 10:20:53 PM »
This complete insanity just goes on and on and on ...

What else can be said?  ???

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2014, 10:28:21 PM »

What else can be said?  ???

I am sure when he signed the lease, there was a statement regarding hanging stuff on the outside of your apartment: Such guidelines maintain the aesthetics of our apartment community and provide for the safety of all residents,” the statement said. “The apartment community already proudly displays our country's flag in a safe and appropriate manner at the entrances to our community.”

I am assuming the apartment community is owned by someone. Which means they have free choice to govern how they want their apartments to look. If the apartment complex and the person who owned it deemed that they did not want flags hanging out of peoples window, or wherever it was, then so be it. Remember, he lives in America, which means he had FREE CHOICE not to live there and go somewhere else. Its funny how all these people talk about "free choice" yet they forgot the apartment complex has freedom of choice to dictate how they want their apartments to look on the outside. He had freedom of choice to read the whole lease agreement and decide whether or not he wanted to live there. He must have exercised his free choice not to read the whole lease agreement, now he is all mad. Too bad.
X

forillagorilla

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2014, 10:32:33 PM »
I think he clearly said he would remove if shown that he doesn't have the right. SF - I cannot just decide that I don't like the way a tenant decorates and make them change. Doesn't matter if it's an apartment complex or house that I rent. I hire a management company for most properties and trust that they will screen well but if not explicitly prohibited in the lease agreement I cannot just decide that because I own it I can do what I want.

el numero uno

• Getbig V
  • Clean your room, bucko.
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2014, 10:36:49 PM »

What else can be said?  ???

Religion of peace?

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2014, 10:38:14 PM »
I think he clearly said he would remove if shown that he doesn't have the right. SF - I cannot just decide that I don't like the way a tenant decorates and make them change. Doesn't matter if it's an apartment complex or house that I rent. I hire a management company for most properties and trust that they will screen well but if not explicitly prohibited in the lease agreement I cannot just decide that because I own it I can do what I want.

But why didn't he read the lease agreement beforehand? This could have all been avoided. Its a pretty smart idea to read your lease agreement. If specific guidelines were stated in the lease agreement about decor on the outside of your apartment, he should have known (because it sounds like it was explicitly prohibited). Now he is making a big deal of it before he knows better. Would have been smarter to find out the guidelines before calling the news stations.
X

Fortress

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2014, 10:43:36 PM »
If the flag of the country in which you reside is a "threat" to those of a foreign/alternate religion who also reside in said country, than something is terribly wrong. To demand that someone remove the flag for this reason is, as I say, pure insanity.   

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2014, 10:45:28 PM »
If the flag of the country in which you reside is a "threat" to those of a foreign/alternate religion who also reside in said country, than something is terribly wrong. To demand that someone remove the flag for this reason is, as I say, pure insanity.   

Youre talking about two separate issues. The fact that its a crazy policy, nonetheless makes it a policy of the apartment complex. I am not saying I agree with these guidelines. But those are the guidelines, whether he likes them or not. If he didn't like it, he should have moved somewhere else.
X

trapz101

• Getbig IV
  • team 'THE CORN'
T

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2014, 10:53:28 PM »
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/06/19/texas-man-claims-was-told-to-remove-american-flag-over-threat-to-muslim/

A Texas man is standing defiant after he claims he was told he had to remove an American flag from his balcony because it was a “threat towards the Muslim community.”

Duy Tran told KHOU that the American flag means a lot to him, so he decided to hang one from his balcony after moving into a new apartment in Webster, Texas.

However, he said that soon after he hung the flag, he was told by his apartment complex manager he had to remove it.

"What really stunned me is that she said it’s a threat towards the Muslim community,” Tran told the station. “I’m not a threat toward nobody."

In a statement to KHOU, the manager for Tran’s apartment complex, the Lodge at El Dorado, said she appreciates residents’ patriotism but displays must conform to community guidelines.

“Such guidelines maintain the aesthetics of our apartment community and provide for the safety of all residents,” the statement said. “The apartment community already proudly displays our country's flag in a safe and appropriate manner at the entrances to our community.”

Tran told KHOU he has no plans to remover ge  his flag. He said he has friends who died for our country, and he feels flying a flag is the least he can do.

"I’m gonna leave my flag there, as an American, until she shows me proof that I don’t have the right to leave my flag there," he said.

Haha, that would be a big giant fuck you to the landlord.

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2014, 01:08:32 AM »
I am having an awfully hard time picturing this in reverse. You know,... example; ''take that Saudi Arabian flag down'' Christians might get mad   :D

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2014, 01:29:47 AM »
this is Happening in the UK too.. showing pride in your Country is considered provocation and racism now...

agenda21nwo

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2014, 01:48:56 AM »
It should be removed.  America does not belong to Americans anymore.  Face reality you dumb schmucks, it aint your country anymore.

falco

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2014, 02:37:16 AM »
Send them to Portugal. We will tell them how it works.

BigCyp

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2014, 03:53:45 AM »
It's madness, same thing happened to me in my apartment in north cyprus with the greek flag. After a four day standoff with the Turkish Army though I took it down

Red Hook

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2014, 05:16:52 AM »
as usual you guys are confusing the issues or not understanding them

there are two issues at hand here.

1. Does hanging the flag or any flag goes against the lease.
- We wouldn't tenants having the right to hang what ever they want in common areas.
- He can hang the flag inside of his apartment and no one would care.

2. Hanging the American flag.
- He can do whatever he wants on his own property, but this is not his property and so he has to adhere to the rules.

I

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2014, 05:21:11 AM »
Youre talking about two separate issues. The fact that its a crazy policy, nonetheless makes it a policy of the apartment complex. I am not saying I agree with these guidelines. But those are the guidelines, whether he likes them or not. If he didn't like it, he should have moved somewhere else.

Absolutely correct. But he has the right to make the apartment owner look like a douchenozzle in the media. Which he appears to be doing admirably. Sunshine frequently kills these germs.

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2014, 05:24:22 AM »
as usual you guys are confusing the issues or not understanding them

there are two issues at hand here.

1. Does hanging the flag or any flag goes against the lease.
- We wouldn't tenants having the right to hang what ever they want in common areas.
- He can hang the flag inside of his apartment and no one would care.

2. Hanging the American flag.
- He can do whatever he wants on his own property, but this is not his property and so he has to adhere to the rules.

The pretext for the removal of the flag is that it is a threat to muslims, not that it violates the rule of the apartment complex.  Do you agree that the flag is a threat to muslims?
A

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2014, 05:25:00 AM »
Haha, that would be a big giant fuck you to the landlord.

;D

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2014, 05:30:55 AM »
I agree.  The apartment complex should have the right to tell the man to take down the flag.  However, the justification used for the flags removal by the apartment complex management is highly dubious. 
A

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2014, 05:40:54 AM »
Absolutely correct. But he has the right to make the apartment owner look like a douchenozzle in the media. Which he appears to be doing admirably. Sunshine frequently kills these germs.

8)

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2014, 06:46:08 AM »
I am sure when he signed the lease, there was a statement regarding hanging stuff on the outside of your apartment: Such guidelines maintain the aesthetics of our apartment community and provide for the safety of all residents,” the statement said. “The apartment community already proudly displays our country's flag in a safe and appropriate manner at the entrances to our community.”

I am assuming the apartment community is owned by someone. Which means they have free choice to govern how they want their apartments to look. If the apartment complex and the person who owned it deemed that they did not want flags hanging out of peoples window, or wherever it was, then so be it. Remember, he lives in America, which means he had FREE CHOICE not to live there and go somewhere else. Its funny how all these people talk about "free choice" yet they forgot the apartment complex has freedom of choice to dictate how they want their apartments to look on the outside. He had freedom of choice to read the whole lease agreement and decide whether or not he wanted to live there. He must have exercised his free choice not to read the whole lease agreement, now he is all mad. Too bad.

When did you turn into a troll?

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2014, 07:19:27 AM »
Once you sign a contract with the property owner that's about it.  If you don't like their rules you can leave.

Even in neighborhoods with traditional "homeowners" (which very few actually are because the bank holds the note LOL) when you close on the house most typically sign an agreement with the homeowner's association and they dictate what is acceptable and what is not.  You may want a flag on "your house" and the HOA says "only on July 4th".

How do you get around this?

You sport these bad boys around the property:

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2014, 07:48:32 AM »
When did you turn into a troll?

Too much docking with Roger Bacon has made them similar.  :-X