Author Topic: How many PhDs in the forum?  (Read 4984 times)

el numero uno

• Getbig V
  • Clean your room, bucko.
How many PhDs in the forum?
« on: July 06, 2014, 08:36:27 AM »
I think Big Ach got one. It seems like it's not worthy money wise, and for a non-rich person it's more like you do it just because you love science and don't care about being a broke-ass student. Sort of like being a broke-ass bodybuilder but with a higher IQ  <<< bodybuilding related

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
Re: How many PhDs in the forum?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2014, 08:42:14 AM »
Right here, what's up?

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2014, 08:43:20 AM »

el numero uno

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2014, 08:45:38 AM »

Dr.J

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2014, 08:45:50 AM »
Check!
Mr. AZ 2003

FitnessFrenzy

• Getbig V
  • evolving
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2014, 09:10:10 AM »
Goodrum has a Pretty Hard Dick (no homo)

Schmoff

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2014, 09:11:48 AM »
every getbigger has at least one phd, and did some postdoctoral research

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2014, 09:13:50 AM »
Baygbm is a harvard PhD I believe. SF1900 is also working toward one or has one already.
follow the arrows

the trainer

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2014, 09:15:08 AM »
I think Big Ach got one. It seems like it's not worthy money wise, and for a non-rich person it's more like you do it just because you love science and don't care about being a broke-ass student. Sort of like being a broke-ass bodybuilder but with a higher IQ  <<< bodybuilding related

A phd is a useless piece of crap, street knowledge and experience is what counts.

el numero uno

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2014, 09:20:22 AM »
Baygbm is a harvard PhD I believe. SF1900 is also working toward one or has one already.

Whoa, that's pretty cool.

TheShape.

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2014, 09:36:04 AM »
In 6 or 7 years.

BBSSchlemiel

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2014, 09:37:32 AM »
I have a masters.

FitnessFrenzy

• Getbig V
  • evolving
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2014, 09:40:29 AM »

BBSSchlemiel

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2014, 10:24:08 AM »

Thanks. I now wipe my ass with it and do not encourage anyone going to higher educational institutions. Colleges are a scam.

Schmoff

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2014, 10:34:37 AM »
Thanks. I now wipe my ass with it and do not encourage anyone going to higher educational institutions. Colleges are a scam.

lol

BIG ACH

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2014, 10:39:35 AM »

A phd is a useless piece of crap, street knowledge and experience is what counts.

After being hired for  a new job 6 months ago, when I asked my boss what stuck out on my resume out of 100+ candidates, why did she pick me... she said, "you were the only one with a PhD - Even though I wasn't necessarily looking for someone with a PhD, this made you worthy of further consideration"

8)

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2014, 10:41:57 AM »
After being hired for  a new job 6 months ago, when I asked my boss what stuck out on my resume out of 100+ candidates, why did she pick me... she said, "you were the only one with a PhD - Even though I wasn't necessarily looking for someone with a PhD, this made you worthy of further consideration"

8)
Translation: She got you cheap.     ;D

BIG ACH

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2014, 10:43:10 AM »
Translation: She got you cheap.     ;D

LOL

I wouldn't have relocated my entire family from Florida to California - for cheap  ;)

el numero uno

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2014, 10:54:33 AM »

8)

Cool, but what about the cost of opportunity? Instead of doing a doctoral program one could be working all those years as a masters which is not bad at all ???

I don't know, but I think that for most cases getting a PhD is not a good idea money wise. But of course if it is what you love to do then go for it. :)

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2014, 10:59:29 AM »
Cool, but what about the cost of opportunity? Instead of doing a doctoral program one could be working all those years as a masters which is not bad at all ???

I don't know, but I think that for most cases getting a PhD is not a good idea money wise. But of course if it is what you love to do then go for it. :)

If you want to be a college professor at a private university, most won't look at you without both a PhD and an exceptional resume of research. Granted, depending on the discipline, you can teach without having a PhD, but it sure helps if your trying to land a spot within Academia.

"1"

Tedim

• Getbig V
  • "Ну GetBig, ну погоди"
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2014, 11:05:50 AM »

8)

In what field?

BIG ACH

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2014, 11:11:36 AM »

You have to remember most PhD students have the tuition waived by working as teaching or research assistants, plus you get a small salary as well ($20,000 per year approx.) so its really not as bleak as you think.  I was also lucky because I had worked for a while beforehand so I had money saved up plus my wife was working full time while I was doing the PhD, as well as the money I was getting for being a research assistant, so we were living quite comfortably during that time.

If you want to be a college professor at a private university, most won't look at you without both a PhD and an exceptional resume of research. Granted, depending on the discipline, you can teach without having a PhD, but it sure helps if your trying to land a spot within Academia.

"1"

That's a very important point, most people that do a PhD do so to teach at a university.  I'm an anomaly in that I went into the corporate world, which is really very very rare.

In what field?

I live in Silicon Valley loll so you can probably guess I work in IT (software development). But my PhD is in industrial engineering

Tedim

• Getbig V
  • "Ну GetBig, ну погоди"
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2014, 11:15:36 AM »
My father was a PhDs in computer science Assembler db2 cics Rexx etc mainframe

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2014, 11:15:52 AM »
Some jobs require a Doctoral-level degree to do specific tasks. If you want to engages in these tasks, you have no choice but to achieve a Doctoral degree.
X

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2014, 11:33:50 AM »
Most people with PHD's have family's with money so these people can just stay in school as long as they want to. Sure it's not 100% across the board but I'd bet it's in the 85% range...