Author Topic: I'm sure Madcow will spend a month attacking this act of plagiarism  (Read 1582 times)

dario73

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
He claims PTSD was a factor:

http://www.breitbart.com/system/wire/ap_77b8b0aa3a834b069eb1aeb620e2570e

HELENA, Mont. (AP) — Sen. John Walsh of Montana said Wednesday his failure to attribute conclusions and verbatim passages lifted from other scholars' work in his thesis to earn a master's degree from the U.S. Army War College was an unintentional mistake caused in part by post-traumatic stress disorder.

The apparent plagiarism first reported by The New York Times was the second potentially damaging issue raised this year involving the Democrat's 33-year military career, which has been a cornerstone of his campaign to keep the seat he was appointed to in February when Max Baucus resigned to become U.S. ambassador to China.

National Democrats said Wednesday they remained "100 percent behind Sen. Walsh" in his campaign against Republican Rep. Steve Daines.

Walsh told The Associated Press when he wrote the thesis, he had PTSD from his service in Iraq, was on medication and was dealing with the stress of a fellow veteran's recent suicide.

"I don't want to blame my mistake on PTSD, but I do want to say it may have been a factor," the senator said. "My head was not in a place very conducive to a classroom and an academic environment."

Walsh submitted his thesis, titled "The Case for Democracy as a Long Term National Strategy," to earn his Master of Strategic Studies degree in 2007, nearly two years after he returned from Iraq and about a year before he became Montana's adjutant general overseeing the state's National Guard and Department of Military Affairs.

The paper includes a series of unattributed passages taken from the writings of other scholars.

The first page borrows heavily from a 2003 Foreign Affairs piece written by Thomas Carothers, vice president for studies at the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace, and a 2009 book by Natan Sharansky with Ron Dermer called "The Case for Democracy: The Power of Freedom to Overcome Tyranny and Terror."

Sharansky is a former Soviet dissident and chairman of the Jewish Agency for Israel. Dermer is the Israeli ambassador to the United States.

All six of the recommendations that Walsh listed at the end of his paper are taken nearly word-for-word without attribution from a Carnegie paper written by Carothers and three other scholars at the institute.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
yikes

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
I noticed none of the headlines mentioned his party.

If he was repub, you can bet your ass all the headlines would have started with 'GOP senator....'

dario73

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!

If he was repub, you can bet your ass all the headlines would have started with 'GOP senator....'

BINGO!!

I was surprised I had to read until the 3rd sentence to find out that he was a Democrat.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
This is really insulting to victims of PTSD.  I know a number of people who have it, and I'm not aware of any of them becoming dishonest as a result of having PTSD.

Kazan

• Getbig V
  • Sic vis pacem, parabellum
This is really insulting to victims of PTSD.  I know a number of people who have it, and I'm not aware of any of them becoming dishonest as a result of having PTSD.

I agree he jumped the fucking shark with this bullshit
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

dario73

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!

I am sure Madcow will attack him relentlessly for making such a stupid excuse and for insulting all those soldiers suffering from PTSD.

For the next few months she will make it her duty to advice her listeners in Montana to not vote for this moron.

RRKore

• Getbig IV
I am sure Madcow will attack him relentlessly for making such a stupid excuse and for insulting all those soldiers suffering from PTSD.

For the next few months she will make it her duty to advice her listeners in Montana to not vote for this moron.

I hope she does.  And I, for one, will not give this guy nor Rand Paul my vote for president regardless of whether either one suffers from PTSD as a result of military service for our great country.

Say, Dario, in which branch of the military did you serve?  Personally, I did 4 years of active duty in the army as a 98G Russian and, big patriot that you are, I'm sure you did your part, too, right?

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
I hope she does.  And I, for one, will not give this guy nor Rand Paul my vote for president regardless of whether either one suffers from PTSD as a result of military service for our great country.

Say, Dario, in which branch of the military did you serve?  Personally, I did 4 years of active duty in the army as a 98G Russian and, big patriot that you are, I'm sure you did your part, too, right?

You are a Ruskie? 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V

If you really did serve, you should be proud of that fact.  But trying to use your alleged service as a way to demean others is juvenile and dishonors those who have served. 

Other than Mons Venus, you probably claim to have served more than any who has posted on this board.

BTW, I served 4 years active duty in the US Army as a 98G Russian.  Were you ever in the service?

Where is this Canadian thing coming from?  I'm 100% American.  Born and raised in the CA Bay Area.  Served 4 years on active duty in the US army as a 98G Russian, in fact.

Forgive my ignorance (I was a 98G Russian with a strategic assignment - a real job, haha -  during my tour so I know very little about the tactical folks), but weren't we talking about (women in) combat roles in general? 

Really?  What MOS?  (I was a 98G Russian.)

You are wrong.  I AM a vet.  I was in the army for 4 years as a 98G Russian.  Unlike TonyMcFakeJudoChamp, I don't lie about the claims I make here on GB, so you can ask me any question you like about being a former 98G and I'll answer it.

*RE: Nasser:  I thought he was a really cool and smart guy.  This was in about '85 or '86 and I think Nasser was only about 19 or 20.  I know he was a university student and did not see him at the gym much.  He introduced himself to me because he'd heard that I was a foreign language guy (at that time I was in the army as a 98G Russian Voice Interceptor) and he knew like 4 languages or something. 

RRKore

• Getbig IV
Re: I'm sure Madcow will spend a month attacking this act of plagiarism
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2014, 12:02:07 PM »
You are a Ruskie? 

Kinda, lol. 

No, a 98G is a Signal Intelligence Voice Interceptor and the "Russian" part means I was with a unit that monitored Russian army troop movements and that kind of thing (in the East Germany before the Reunification). 

Basically, I was reading a lot spy novels (Ludlum, mostly) as a teenager and my recruiter leveraged that info and got me interested in being kind of a spy. 

It was a pretty decent way to serve since more than a year of your 4-year enlistment is taken up by language training (at the Defense Language Institute in beautiful Monterey, CA) and radio school (Goodfellow AFB in San Angelo).  The drawback is that there's not a lot of employment opportunities after the service except for those that basically just require a security clearance (like a janitor at NSA, we used to joke).  The guys that worked on our crappy radios, however, were getting job offers from Motorola and other companies like that months before their ETS dates.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2014, 12:13:51 PM »
That's awesome.  How the F are you a lib? 

Kinda, lol. 

No, a 98G is a Signal Intelligence Voice Interceptor and the "Russian" part means I was with a unit that monitored Russian army troop movements and that kind of thing (in the East Germany before the Reunification). 

Basically, I was reading a lot spy novels (Ludlum, mostly) as a teenager and my recruiter leveraged that info and got me interested in being kind of a spy. 

It was a pretty decent way to serve since more than a year of your 4-year enlistment is taken up by language training (at the Defense Language Institute in beautiful Monterey, CA) and radio school (Goodfellow AFB in San Angelo).  The drawback is that there's not a lot of employment opportunities after the service except for those that basically just require a security clearance (like a janitor at NSA, we used to joke).  The guys that worked on our crappy radios, however, were getting job offers from Motorola and other companies like that months before their ETS dates.

RRKore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2014, 12:16:23 PM »
If you really did serve, you should be proud of that fact.  But trying to use your alleged service as a way to demean others is juvenile and dishonors those who have served. 

Other than Mons Venus, you probably claim to have served more than any who has posted on this board.

Man, you're a weird dude.  Ask you a question about a topic we're discussing and you can't be bothered to check it out but here you've compiled a dossier on my references to my service in the army. lol    Yeeah, you're normal, BB. lol

BTW, who the fuck are you to tell me what I should say or not say about my army service?  I'm completely forthcoming and honest about all of it.  The details I freely give should indicate that.  If you doubt me, ask me more questions and I'll be happy to answer 'em if I can.

Contrast that with your own claims of having served even though you're secretive (ashamed?) about what job you supposedly did.

You wanna try to explain this ridiculous notion you have that if I contrast my own service with others who simply talk a big game about being patriotic it somehow dishonors anything or anybody?  Or is this just more convoluted BS straight from the ass of the intellectually lazy and confused BB who won't back up half of what he writes?

[/quote]

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2014, 12:48:00 PM »
Man, you're a weird dude.  Ask you a question about a topic we're discussing and you can't be bothered to check it out but here you've compiled a dossier on my references to my service in the army. lol    Yeeah, you're normal, BB. lol

BTW, who the fuck are you to tell me what I should say or not say about my army service?  I'm completely forthcoming and honest about all of it.  The details I freely give should indicate that.  If you doubt me, ask me more questions and I'll be happy to answer 'em if I can.

Contrast that with your own claims of having served even though you're secretive (ashamed?) about what job you supposedly did.

You wanna try to explain this ridiculous notion you have that if I contrast my own service with others who simply talk a big game about being patriotic it somehow dishonors anything or anybody?  Or is this just more convoluted BS straight from the ass of the intellectually lazy and confused BB who won't back up half of what he writes?

I doubt I could explain it to you, Simpleton Simon.  You probably wouldn't understand it.  

But here goes:  using your purported service as a way to demean those who didn't serve makes you look like a pompous, ignorant, donkey.  People will not respect your alleged service if you try and use it as a means to try and make yourself appear superior to others who never wore the uniform.  As I previously said, it dishonors those who did serve, and did so selflessly.  The fact I even have to tell you this shows how much of a simpleton you really are.  

RRKore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2014, 12:53:19 PM »
That's awesome.  How the F are you a lib? 

Bah, I'm only a lib when it comes to what kind of society I want to live in.  Personally, I'm pretty much a libertarian who's willing to break lib-backed laws if I want, lol.

BTW I'd say that at least half of the guys in that MOS are libs.  They are NOT usually military-loving guys any more than the guys who work in the base hospitals.  

It's probably different, though, for the 98G's that were unlucky enough to get tactical assignments (like attached to infantry units or whatever at places like Fort Huachuca where they mostly just played army most of the time) but I was lucky enough to get a strategic assignment (a REAL job, we called it).  We did shift work at the big listening post in Augsburg, Germany and called our officers by their first names.  It did kind of suck when we learned that there were civilians doing our same jobs in Augsburg that were getting comparatively big bucks and not having to do shit like prepare for barracks inspections in their free time.  

Personally, I worked on push-to-talk which isn't very glamorous.  It's like if a foreigner learned English only to monitor truckers talking on their CB's.  The awesome Russian language course was kind of a waste for that particular job.  Who needs to know how to use their Russian to rent an apartment, order a meal, or know the ins and outs of the genitive case when you'd really have been better served to have a vocab of maybe only 800 words (word like "nuclear artillery") but absolutely recognize those words every single time you heard 'em over your static-filled headphones.

The cool shit you'd hear about was either the from guys who monitored the shortwave stuff or at least the duplex operation stuff.  (Duplex is like now a telephone works and one time I remember those guys were playing a recording of two high-ranked Russians arguing and talking shit to each other which was a 100% more interesting than listening to Russian idiots try to follow driving directions given to them over their PTT radios.)

Shee-it, a lot of the language guys and women are gay, believe it or not.  (And a whole bunch are Mormons -- those choir boys have a pretty easy time getting clearances, lol.)

BTW, from what I gather you got hurt while at USMAPS or the equivalent.  Count your lucky stars, I say.  I and a handful of other guys I went through basic training with were offered a chance to try to get into USMAPS but our cycle had 3 or 4 West Point Cadets (juniors, I think) that we pumped for info about the whole military school deal and, from what we gathered, it entailed way too much bullshit and is not the kind of life for anyone who has any kind of issues with authority.

RRKore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2014, 01:02:18 PM »
I doubt I could explain it to you, Simpleton Simon.  You probably would to understand it. 

But here goes:  using your purported service as a way to demean those who didn't serve makes you look like a pompous, ignorant, donkey.  People will not respect your alleged service if you try and use it as a means to try and make yourself appear superior to others who never wore the uniform.  As I previously said, it dishonors those who did serve, and did so selflessly.  The fact I even have to tell you this shows how much of a simpleton you really are.   

Trite name-calling. 

I could not care less if anyone respects me for my service.  I did not serve to get respect from anyone.  That kind of shit is for insecure idiots.

My words dishonors other guys who've actually served how again?  Because if you're saying that honorable servicemen don't pompously talk down to others that's tantamount to you admitting that you never served.  LOL

And shit, that makes sense to me.  Often, the guys who glorify military service, which you do constantly, are those who did not serve but wish they had. 

What happened BB?  Was it your fault?  Did they deem you mentally unfit or was there some outside reason you didn't serve?  Fess up, "patriot".

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2014, 01:11:48 PM »
Trite name-calling. 

I could not care less if anyone respects me for my service.  I did not serve to get respect from anyone.  That kind of shit is for insecure idiots.

My words dishonors other guys who've actually served how again?  Because if you're saying that honorable servicemen don't pompously talk down to others that's tantamount to you admitting that you never served.  LOL

And shit, that makes sense to me.  Often, the guys who glorify military service, which you do constantly, are those who did not serve but wish they had. 

What happened BB?  Was it your fault?  Did they deem you mentally unfit or was there some outside reason you didn't serve?  Fess up, "patriot".

Uh, right.  Ok.  Where do I begin . . . .

You called someone "intellectually lazy and confused," then cry when I point out the fact that you really are a simpleton, and call it "trite name-calling"?  Seriously?  lol

Bragging about your service as a way to demean those who didn't serve is precisely what an insecure idiot would do. 

Boy did I pick the right label for you.   :)

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2014, 01:12:18 PM »
Strawman was posting tons of threads during the rand paul 'plagerism' thing....but hes been silent so far on this one. Im sure hes preparing his data for posting as we speak... :D

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2014, 01:39:33 PM »
they should be talking about this for the rest of his career, just as they do for Liz warren's lie about being native american.

And no, it's not Bill Oreilly's job to trash Bush.  It's not maddow's job to trash the left.  It's not Hannity's job to be "fair and balanced".

Those in the media have one job... give their shareholders profit by keeping that station's viewers engaged and happy.  Sure, we could talk about the failure of reagan, but their ratings would plummet.  MSNBC could run a primetime show on each lie obama has made since entering office, and their ratings would plummet.

Expecting either network to shit on their bread & butter = naive.

RRKore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2014, 01:52:17 PM »
Uh, right.  Ok.  Where do I begin . . . .

You called someone "intellectually lazy and confused," then cry when I point out the fact that you really are a simpleton, and call it "trite name-calling"?  Seriously?  lol

Bragging about your service as a way to demean those who didn't serve is precisely what an insecure idiot would do. 

Boy did I pick the right label for you.   :)

It is name-calling.  That's all it is and I think I understand why you're resorting to it.

It's no big deal, really but you've been pissy in this thread since Option D proved you wrong about your conclusions re: the 2008 Central American Kids law-thang.

Also, you're having trouble explaining your rationale for why you believe that me pointing out that I've served in the military dishonors those who've served.  

For god's sake, if folks have served in the military I'm pretty sure they won't get their panties in a bunch over some other ex-military guy talking about his service to another guy who hasn't served regardless of the motivation for that talking.  That you would say this is yet another reason that your claim of your own service is doubtful.  

Hey, clear something up for me if you would, ya creepy stalker; I've been wondering why you looked through my post history for all my past references to my military service and I think I have the answer.  You thought you'd catch an inconsistency, didn't you?  LOL.  Did you have a sad when you didn't find one?  LOL.  

I did serve as a 98G Russian in the US Army.  You're just gonna have to face that regardless of how much you'd rather be writing about what a liar I am vs. having to fall back on your weak-ass "Ooooh, you're dishonoring other ex-servicemen" argument.

BTW, no matter what one's opinion is about how dishonorable it is for an ex-serviceman to disparage the non-service of another, I'm pretty sure that everyone will consider lying about one's service to be more dishonorable.  And that really seems to be what you're doing.

I'll apologize profusely if I wrong, btw.  So what did you do again?  Which service were you in, even?  

I don't expect that you'll address these direct questions, ya yellow-bellied old draft dodger so, unless you want to provide some corroborating details of your alleged service, please cease claiming that you've served, OK?  

I, along with all the other men and women who have actually served our country militarily, thank you.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2014, 01:57:12 PM »
It is name-calling.  That's all it is and I think I understand why you're resorting to it.

It's no big deal, really but you've been pissy in this thread since Option D proved you wrong about your conclusions re: the 2008 Central American Kids law-thang.

Also, you're having trouble explaining your rationale for why you believe that me pointing out that I've served in the military dishonors those who've served.  

For god's sake, if folks have served in the military I'm pretty sure they won't get their panties in a bunch over some other ex-military guy talking about his service to another guy who hasn't served regardless of the motivation for that talking.  That you would say this is yet another reason that your claim of your own service is doubtful.  

Hey, clear something up for me if you would, ya creepy stalker; I've been wondering why you looked through my post history for all my past references to my military service and I think I have the answer.  You thought you'd catch an inconsistency, didn't you?  LOL.  Did you have a sad when you didn't find one?  LOL.  

I did serve as a 98G Russian in the US Army.  You're just gonna have to face that regardless of how much you'd rather be writing about what a liar I am vs. having to fall back on your weak-ass "Ooooh, you're dishonoring other ex-servicemen" argument.

BTW, no matter what one's opinion is about how dishonorable it is for an ex-serviceman to disparage the non-service of another, I'm pretty sure that everyone will consider lying about one's service to be more dishonorable.  And that really seems to be what you're doing.

I'll apologize profusely if I wrong, btw.  So what did you do again?  Which service were you in, even?  

I don't expect that you'll address these direct questions, ya yellow-bellied old draft dodger so, unless you want to provide some corroborating details of your alleged service, please cease claiming that you've served, OK?  

I, along with all the other men and women who have actually served our country militarily, thank you.

Option D proved me wrong?  You really are a dishonest buggah.  Grow up dude.   

Projecting are we?  lol  The internet really does attract some strange birds.  lol

I don't care about your service.  If you did serve (and I have no idea if you did), I'm not going to thank you for your service, because you keep repeatedly patting yourself on the back.  You don't deserve it.  But hey not everyone can have class, dignity, intelligence, common sense, etc. 

RRKore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2014, 03:18:26 PM »
Option D proved me wrong?  You really are a dishonest buggah.  Grow up dude.   

Projecting are we?  lol  The internet really does attract some strange birds.  lol

I don't care about your service.  If you did serve (and I have no idea if you did), I'm not going to thank you for your service, because you keep repeatedly patting yourself on the back.  You don't deserve it.  But hey not everyone can have class, dignity, intelligence, common sense, etc. 

Hey BB, don't get me wrong here.  I'm not looking for a thank you or a pat on the back.  I just wanted to fuck with Dario.

To me, we've just been in a harmless little pissing contest and I'll admit that I AM yanking your chain a little because honestly, even if you are completely lying about your own service, I'm not the type to think that's a big deal (though I realize that many people would).  

Sheesh, in some of the ex-pat bars I've hung out at I'd say about 70% of the loud-mouthed guys there are lying about their service and every other damned thing to boot.  It doesn't mean that they aren't interesting company, though.

Anyway, I don't dislike ya (even if you dislike me, lol) and hope you aren't too bothered by a little verbal fisticuffs.  Probably helps keep the mind sharp for an old-timer like you anyway, right?  

Peace.  

I gotta do a little work now but will likely be on later if you have to have the last word, lol.

SCRUBS

• Getbig III
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2014, 04:12:22 PM »

Our local newspaper does the same thing.....

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2014, 04:24:45 PM »
Hey BB, don't get me wrong here.  I'm not looking for a thank you or a pat on the back.  I just wanted to fuck with Dario.

To me, we've just been in a harmless little pissing contest and I'll admit that I AM yanking your chain a little because honestly, even if you are completely lying about your own service, I'm not the type to think that's a big deal (though I realize that many people would).  

Sheesh, in some of the ex-pat bars I've hung out at I'd say about 70% of the loud-mouthed guys there are lying about their service and every other damned thing to boot.  It doesn't mean that they aren't interesting company, though.

Anyway, I don't dislike ya (even if you dislike me, lol) and hope you aren't too bothered by a little verbal fisticuffs.  Probably helps keep the mind sharp for an old-timer like you anyway, right?  

Peace.  

I gotta do a little work now but will likely be on later if you have to have the last word, lol.

My "last word" is what I've said repeatedly on the board for years:  I don't take any of this stuff personally. 

chadstallion

• Getbig IV
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2014, 06:37:48 PM »

she's already reported on it 7/23
w