Author Topic: Why do old people get fat?  (Read 7609 times)

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
Why do old people get fat?
« on: July 31, 2014, 06:51:40 PM »
I'm watching Caddyshack now and Chevy Chase is slender, but now looks like a bloated mess. Same with Alec Baldwin and a slew of others. Is it drinking?

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • I ate an entire box of popsicles the day prior
Re: Why do old people get fat?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2014, 06:58:12 PM »
I'm watching Caddyshack now and Chevy Chase is slender, but now looks like a bloated mess. Same with Alec Baldwin and a slew of others. Is it drinking?

Lifetime of largely sedentary behavior

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2014, 07:30:46 PM »
Gravity and attitude?

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2014, 08:31:00 PM »
The majority of guys past 55 look like hell. It's really unusual when a guy is fit at that age. I know most 30 something year old's think it won't happen to them but it will. Some turn to juice then they have heart trouble.

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2014, 08:45:37 PM »
They build up eating and drinking habits early on in life when the body can handle a lot of abuse and burn fat at a more efficient rate.

Gonuclear

• Getbig III
  • It depends on what the meaning of "is" is.
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2014, 10:24:15 PM »

Baldwin definitely looks like a heavy drinker.  Chevy Chase looks more like a victim of doughnuts.

phreak

• Getbig V
  • Food is amazing
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2014, 10:27:56 PM »
The majority of guys past 55 look like hell. It's really unusual when a guy is fit at that age. I know most 30 something year old's think it won't happen to them but it will. Some turn to juice then they have heart trouble.
It was discovered a long time ago, shortly after you turned 80, that low testosterone is as bad or worse for heart health then normal or high testosterone.

phreak

• Getbig V
  • Food is amazing
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2014, 10:29:13 PM »

Being a famous multimillionaire with nothing left to prove might also play a part.

dragonfist

• Getbig III
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2014, 10:32:35 PM »
Sickening lack of willpower.

MikMaq

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2014, 12:41:15 AM »
The majority of guys past 55 look like hell. It's really unusual when a guy is fit at that age.

thats good to know i never thought about it in that way before.

Lustral

• Getbig V
  • FREE NOODLES
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2014, 05:54:40 AM »
As you age your metabolism slows down and therefore caloric requirements drop. Too many keep eating the same sized meals, hence they put on weight.

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
  • Better to die on your feet than on your knees.
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2014, 07:20:02 AM »
Age, lifestyle, diet, gravity, etc...  It's happening to you right now.

Simple Simon

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2014, 07:24:51 AM »
they take in too many calories

thread end.

hrspwr1

• Getbig III
  • flirtin with disaster everyday
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2014, 07:25:22 AM »
Because after you have had sex 10000 times there is nothing left to get excited about except cake and pie.

Viking11

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2014, 07:25:34 AM »
Then there were guys like Jack Lalanne who  was lean and fit into his 90's, George Burns who smoked cigars who never was fat and bloated looking..

Mr. MB

• Getbig III
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2014, 09:01:42 AM »
Sedentary, poor diet and low T.

I hike in the mountains 5-7 miles 6 days a week, 100 push ups a day, take HRT, and cut back on calories. I have a flat belly and i'm fit. Zero alcohol and cigs for almost 35 years.  Too much sun has given me some aging in the skin.

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
  • Better to die on your feet than on your knees.
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2014, 09:17:12 AM »

I hike in the mountains 5-7 miles 6 days a week, 100 push ups a day, take HRT, and cut back on calories. I have a flat belly and i'm fit. Zero alcohol and cigs for almost 35 years.  Too much sun has given me some aging in the skin.

You should live a long time.  Just don't get in a car accident or cancer.

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2014, 10:14:45 AM »

Nice

Too much of our society seems convinced that becoming fat and out of shape is an inevitable consequence of aging.

Weedlejuice

• Getbig III
  • Be the very best, like no one ever was.
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2014, 10:32:21 AM »

Same reason everyone gets fat.

Kcal in greater then kcal out.

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2014, 10:42:19 AM »
Then there were guys like Jack Lalanne who  was lean and fit into his 90's, George Burns who smoked cigars who never was fat and bloated looking..

Burns wasn't fitness guy, but whenever I heard someone ask him about his lifestyle, he always mentioned that he didn't eat too much.

The word I would use to describe the overall physical condition of this current generation of elderly is "abysmal."

It's depressing to watch these broken down things attempt to do anything remotely physical.

Half of them need Winnie Walkers to get around.

Jack Lalanne must be rolling in his grave.

Sorry Jack, you tried.

The Wrong Advices

• Getbig II
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2014, 11:36:22 AM »
It's all the damn GMO refined wheat and other "fillers" in our so-called "foods". Plus, sugar on top of sugar and all this artificial crap to make non-food taste and look like food.

Look at pics of people up to the 70's; mostly slim to moderate chubbiness, seeing grossly overweight folks was rare. Now look at a crowd of people today. Fat, fat, and fat. Everyone is getting thicker because of all the bread and sugar we consume, compounded by sedation, apathy, and a daily handful of pills just to function and get through the goddamned day.

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2014, 11:52:48 AM »
Burns wasn't fitness guy, but whenever I heard someone ask him about his lifestyle, he always mentioned that he didn't eat too much.

The word I would use to describe the overall physical condition of this current generation of elderly is "abysmal."

It's depressing to watch these broken down things attempt to do anything remotely physical.

Half of them need Winnie Walkers to get around.

Jack Lalanne must be rolling in his grave.

Sorry Jack, you tried.

x2 Team Lalanne

Neptuno

• Getbig III
  • From HUELVA - SPAIN
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2014, 01:46:15 PM »
As you age your metabolism slows down and therefore caloric requirements drop. Too many keep eating the same sized meals, hence they put on weight.

+1

w

Danimal77

• Getbig V
  • Yo Adrian
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2014, 01:51:09 PM »

What happens is that the body (the upper torso) begins to compress and collapse on itself. The neck gets shorter and the head starts to go forward, making the appearance of a double chin. The spine compresses, which pushes out the stomach/chest, making the person appear fatter, when in essence, they are just getting squished.

Wrestlers like Roddy Piper who had a good chunk of his spine taken out (because of a tumor), went from 6'1.5" to 5'9" and now it looks like he has a huge gut. He doesn't. It's just that the organs are pushed forward, because of less space.

Simple Simon

« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2014, 01:51:18 PM »
You sure about that?