Getbig Bodybuilding, Figure and Fitness Forums
December 20, 2014, 06:26:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RIP - Harold Poole  (Read 5190 times)
Vince Basile
Getbig V

Mr Canada 1970

« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2014, 07:12:43 PM »

Yet, Harold jumped from the AAU to a no-name org because he knew as a black man he would never win the Mr America.  The AAU Mr America was meant to represent the ideal American man, with points for facial appearance, interview ability and other athletic ability.  Weider offered a contest that was based on muscle size only, where Poole could win the overall title.

Apparently Harold had a stutter so wasn't suitable for an AAU Mr America title. Being black also went against him. They gave him the consolation Most Muscular Man title. He was bitter after this so he started competing with the IFBB and immediately started winning big titles.

Larry was a hugely popular winner in 1965. The fans would have destroyed the theatre had Larry not won that night!
Report to moderator   Logged
wes
Competitors
Getbig V

The Power Cosmic

« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2014, 05:15:12 AM »

Black bodybuilders back then got screwed by both the IFBB and the AAU,but the AAU was far worse.

Look at the contest records of Oliva,Rock Stonewall,Kenny Hall,and Ken Covington just to name a few...................ri pped off at almost every outing by far far inferior builds.
funk51
Getbig V

Getbig!

« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2014, 07:06:44 AM »

Grin harold poole the bodyguard in this case twiggy[look it up] seen here with mike gubillo the man w the 25 inch arms and denie walters the mti writer.
funk51
Getbig V

Getbig!

« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2014, 07:07:44 AM »

Grin harold poole the bodyguard in this case twiggy[look it up] seen here with mike gubillo the man w the 25 inch arms and denie walters the mti writer.
duhhhhhh forgot pic     duhhhhhhh here ya go.

* twiggy.jpg (23.59 KB, 322x459 - viewed 559 times.)
Max_Rep
Max Rep
Getbig IV

Itís about how hard you can GET hit...

« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2014, 12:00:20 AM »

I met him once. Nice guy. RIP Harold.

and keep moving!
WillGrant
Getbig V

Ron is Watching

« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2014, 04:13:14 AM »

Black bodybuilders back then got screwed by both the IFBB and the AAU,

And Cheetah's to apparently , just ask Robby Lips sealed Shocked
wild willie
Getbig V

« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2014, 06:48:17 PM »

rip......he was in the pat benatar video......love is a battlefield.
Al Doggity
Getbig IV

Getbig!

« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2014, 04:29:29 PM »

I ran into him   four or five times, when I lived in the east 70s. I don't know if he lived around there or worked around there or what. This was maybe about five years back. There was this chinese place either on york or first that we both apparently liked and I saw him in there a couple times. He was still pretty big, especially for an older guy. The first time I saw him, he looked familiar but I couldn't quite place his face. The next time I saw him , it occurred to me that he looked like a golden age bodybuilder, I just didn't know which one- and, honestly, it just seemed sort of anachronistic for this city, much less, that neighborhood. This was during the summer, and at this time I was in pretty good shape. So on my way out, I paused and stared and must have had this quizzical look on my face because he just grinned and said "Looks like you work out." I started  grinning and said "You know, you look familiar." He told me that he used to be a competitive bodybuilder, but it was probably before my time, etc. So we talked for a little while, he seemed like a good guy. I ran into him a few more times and we'd just bullshit for a few minutes.I'm not claiming to be a close friend, but I'm genuinely sorry to hear about his passing. RIP
dyslexic
Getbig V

baddoggy

« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2014, 07:30:25 PM »

Besides all of those "politics" against black men in the bodybuilding world at that time... (ironic when you look at what color the men are who now DOMINATE the stage of the Mr. O )

Harold battled some demons long after bodybuilding was over.

Nobody has mentioned them here, so I won't either, but he did pass fairly young.....

Nice pics of him and Larry Scott on the internet.

nunzie
Getbig I

« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2014, 07:30:38 AM »

Yeh, I lived around the block from Harold and trained with him, often in the 60's when we were both kids. He was always full of life and very strong, for those days. I remember spotting him with 405 in Bench press for reps . Hrold was never into dieting, and I can rember him eating Chef Boyardee Ravioli out of the can while we were hanging out. He was training for the 2nd Olympia and he was vascular and ripped. Never was able to gain much weight. Used to compete at 218. Hey, Harold, RIP.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Theme created by Egad Community. Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.20 | SMF © 2013, Simple Machines Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!