Author Topic: What Happens When Police Wear Body Cameras?  (Read 9010 times)

ProudVirgin69

• Getbig V
  • hardcore redneck electric champion
What Happens When Police Wear Body Cameras?
« on: August 18, 2014, 03:20:39 PM »
Well, after one year of equipping cops with body-worn cameras in Rialto, California, use of force by the police declined by 60% and customer complaints declined by 88%.  Read more here:

http://online.wsj.com/articles/what-happens-when-police-officers-wear-body-cameras-1408320244

Personally, it seems pretty cut-and-dry to me...if a police officer is conducting themselves appropriately, they have nothing to worry about.  Not only that, but it could serve as additional evidence to be used in prosecuting criminals.  To keep it topical, it could even help to show that a police officer had conducted themselves appropriately.

What say you, Getbig?

Lustral

• Getbig V
  • FREE NOODLES
Re: What Happens When Police Wear Body Cameras?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2014, 03:22:15 PM »
Try getting it by the unions. Pilots opposed the black box at first thinking it would invade their privacy (even though they would likely be dead if someone listened to it).

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2014, 03:35:59 PM »
On the flip side you get police that are afraid to act because their job can be in jeopardy. If you think trying to arrest a scum bag is easy because you can reason with these irate simpletons you are mistaken.

Lustral

• Getbig V
  • FREE NOODLES
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2014, 03:40:10 PM »
On the flip side you get police that are afraid to act because their job can be in jeopardy. If you think trying to arrest a scum bag is easy because you can reason with these irate simpletons you are mistaken.

Anyone who has done door work will know how fucking annoying people can be. CCTV is like a bodycam in respects. Had a mate working security in a local nightclub. They were kicking out some guy for fighting inside when mate was at door. On the way out he broke loose from 2 security, punched both and was coming at mate. He kicked guy in head and knocked him out.

Guy sued nightclub and mate was charged with assault causing harm. Nightclub handed over CCTV and he had to pay 5k compensation. Fucking joke.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2014, 03:49:18 PM »
this is a job where you can carry a gun, order someone into an alley, shoot them, drop a knife at their feet, and get a medal for it.

It seems weird that most russian taxi drivers have cameras on 24/7, but most cops in the USA do not. 

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2014, 03:53:29 PM »
I want cops to be the first to get the electronic fingerprint locks for their duty sidearm. LOL!

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2014, 03:55:40 PM »
Yay, more taxes for the upkeep and purchase of these things  ::).

Also what Oldtimer said is correct, watch the quality of policing drop to a lower level then it already is. You'll get the dregs of society doing it, because no one of quality wants the constant pressure of second guessing themselves.

syntaxmachine

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2014, 03:56:33 PM »
Well, after one year of equipping cops with body-worn cameras in Rialto, California, use of force by the police declined by 60% and customer complaints declined by 88%.  Read more here:

http://online.wsj.com/articles/what-happens-when-police-officers-wear-body-cameras-1408320244

Personally, it seems pretty cut-and-dry to me...if a police officer is conducting themselves appropriately, they have nothing to worry about.  Not only that, but it could serve as additional evidence to be used in prosecuting criminals.  To keep it topical, it could even help to show that a police officer had conducted themselves appropriately.

What say you, Getbig?

How about data indicating how effectively Rialto police are addressing crime with the cameras in place? The data above is consistent with the police 'backing off' and not addressing crime as vociferously, thereby leading to less complaints.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2014, 03:57:24 PM »
Make them optional.

I bet many cops would LOVE to have a clip-on camera with them 24/7.

99% of cops aren't pieces of shit, framing people and executing jaywalkers.   They might even pay for a gopro or whatever.  It means they'll never lose their house as a result of a brutality claim.  It means any missing evidence, accusations, dispute will never be their problem.  Many would love it.  

ProudVirgin69

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2014, 04:04:12 PM »

Doesn't seem to be an issue with the dashboard cameras that are now standard-issue on just about every police car.

What's the issue with making sure that police are conducting themselves appropriately? 

ProudVirgin69

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2014, 04:04:51 PM »
I want cops to be the first to get the electronic fingerprint locks for their duty sidearm. LOL!

Yes, this is relevant to the thread.  Excellent point. LOL!

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2014, 04:07:23 PM »
I wonder if they will turn them off when their jerking off in the back parking lot of a dunkin donuts :-\

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2014, 04:14:42 PM »
Make them optional.

I bet many cops would LOVE to have a clip-on camera with them 24/7.

99% of cops aren't pieces of shit, framing people and executing jaywalkers.   They might even pay for a gopro or whatever.  It means they'll never lose their house as a result of a brutality claim.  It means any missing evidence, accusations, dispute will never be their problem.  Many would love it.  
what cop executed a jaywalker?

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2014, 04:30:27 PM »
what cop executed a jaywalker?

i dunno if it's ever happened, that was a totally made up scenario.

However, cameras could prevent things like this from ever taking place.

Police wouldn't be able to modify stories about why they stopped citizens.  The film would be there to document it.

Like most people to the right of Al Sharpton, I love the idea.

Lustral

• Getbig V
  • FREE NOODLES
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2014, 05:26:47 PM »
Cops here are unarmed and we have a low crime rate. It is policing by consent really. I have had run ins with the law from shitty things like drunk and disorderly to other matters. Much as I, like anyone, hate being caught, they have always been courteous, acted professionally and within the law.

Just saying.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2014, 05:27:07 PM »
i dunno if it's ever happened, that was a totally made up scenario.

However, cameras could prevent things like this from ever taking place.

Police wouldn't be able to modify stories about why they stopped citizens.  The film would be there to document it.

Like most people to the right of Al Sharpton, I love the idea.
defintely could, it could also prevent a criminal and his friend from claiming police brutality after one of them assaults an officer and is killed in the process...hypothetically speaking ;)

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2014, 05:30:07 PM »
Cops here are unarmed and we have a low crime rate. It is policing by consent really. I have had run ins with the law from shitty things like drunk and disorderly to other matters. Much as I, like anyone, hate being caught, they have always been courteous, acted professionally and within the law.

Just saying.
where is here?

different culture it sounds like, I think a cop can get by without a gun the vast majority of the time but remember the old phrase. Id rather have a gun and not need it than need a gun and not have it.

Lustral

• Getbig V
  • FREE NOODLES
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2014, 05:38:04 PM »
where is here?

different culture it sounds like, I think a cop can get by without a gun the vast majority of the time but remember the old phrase. Id rather have a gun and not need it than need a gun and not have it.

Ireland.

Gun crime here is next to non existent. Black market it is 5k plus for a gun, possession of one is severely punished.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2014, 05:41:41 PM »
defintely could, it could also prevent a criminal and his friend from claiming police brutality after one of them assaults an officer and is killed in the process...hypothetically speaking ;)

the good thing about criminals is that police are able to identify them.  By sight.  From their position in the street alone.

ProudVirgin69

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2014, 05:42:49 PM »

Yessss exactly.

I think this would work out to help the police 90% of the time

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2014, 05:44:58 PM »
Ireland.

Gun crime here is next to non existent. Black market it is 5k plus for a gun, possession of one is severely punished.
completely different situation in the US there boss, 5k can get you a fully automatic mac10/11 here and the black market is full of guns some of which sold by our own government.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2014, 05:45:55 PM »
the good thing about criminals is that police are able to identify them.  By sight.  From their position in the street alone.
or the stolen merchandise they are carrying, its a great thing indeed.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2014, 05:46:42 PM »
Yessss exactly.

I think this would work out to help the police 90% of the time
agreed, i think it would help cut down on law suits too knowing that both the cops actions and the citizens are being recorded.

Lustral

• Getbig V
  • FREE NOODLES
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2014, 05:48:24 PM »
completely different situation in the US there boss, 5k can get you a fully automatic mac10/11 here and the black market is full of guns some of which sold by our own government.

I know. Was just making a point.

The police represent their society. Here, it is by consent. In Brazil they are corrupt and violent. In USA they are heavily armed.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2014, 05:54:06 PM »
or the stolen merchandise they are carrying, its a great thing indeed.

When non-Americans commit a crime to enter the USA to feed their family, it's an act of love.

When actual Americans commit a crime to feed a nicotine addiction created by mass media merging of big business and big govt interests, suddenly it's an executable offense.*

*Source CNN