Author Topic: Huge stock market correction coming  (Read 21452 times)

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
Re: Huge stock market correction coming
« Reply #50 on: August 28, 2014, 12:19:35 PM »
Will there be a correction? Yes.. that's the easy part. When? No one knows. Do you sit out and miss the possible 10, 15, 20% growth before it happens or do you try and capture some of it while trying to avoid the drop.... We could go years before a correction or it could happen tomorrow. Anyone's guess really

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #51 on: August 28, 2014, 12:37:31 PM »
I am just hoping that it doesn't bring an Army of EBT zombies out when the cards don't get filled on the first day of the month.

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
  • my love for ronnie will never die
« Reply #52 on: August 28, 2014, 12:40:05 PM »
markets looking good today

nearly all my stocks in the green

2Thick

• Getbig IV
  • His Thickness
« Reply #53 on: August 28, 2014, 03:48:08 PM »
Most Americans with a net worth of one million dollars or more are self made millionaires, and they are passive investors, meaning they invest in total market, stock and bond index funds and forget about it.  

They do re-balance their portfolio maybe once a year to make sure their percentages stay on target, but they don't watch the market, they don't buy and sell stocks like maniacs, and they don't worry about the market's ups and downs.

When you buy and sell stocks, you pay a premium in fees.  Add taxes and inflation to this list of things that eat up your gains and you may break even at best, if you are trading stocks all the time.

Invest at least 15% of your salary in total market, stock and bond index funds and forget about it.  You'll be glad when you're old enough to retire, and you won't spend your entire life worrying about this stuff.

Very good points as usual.

And corrections will happen. When they do, those who predicted them will say "I told you so!" and proclaim themselves geniuses even if it happens 1, 5, or 30 years later.  ;D

Be wary of those making short term “predictions”. They are usually wrong. It seems that people think they will sound smart and sophisticated to insist that gold will be at $xxxx amount in 6 months, or that it will definitely go down nonstop over the next 20 years, or that they are 100% certain that the S&P will top off at XXXX on this date or that date or whatever. They actually sound silly and arrogant to those who know better.

The richest and smartest will willingly tell you they cannot predict these things with any certainty or accuracy. But some who are perhaps trying to get rich and are somewhat smart will always be predicting that the Dow will fall to 6k or rise 20k during the next year or whatever. No one knows for sure.

For the more agressive "enterprising investor"  -who chooses to invest at least some of his money by picking his own investments rather than in index or mutual funds or company stock - it's generally better to invest bottom-up… Find the best individual investment prospects, invest in those as long as they are relatively cheap and rapidly growing, and don't really worry about trying to predict the broad markets or whether or not the overall markets are truly fairly valued yet. Maybe add some commodity exposure, some of a broad market short index as a hedge, and perhaps even some put options on a few companies that appear broken, rapidly declining fundamentally, or otherwise ridiculously overvalued.

I dollar cost average in my retirement accounts that I max out each year, buying shares of various investments in a fixed dollar amount each week. When the values of my investments in those accounts go down, I’m able to buy more shares. When they are up, fewer shares are bought. This ends up being a good thing, and is what everyone should do.

If you make $150k a year and your employer offers matching 401k contributions up to 6%, you can max out at $17,500 each year by only putting in half of that. You’re basically getting nearly $9k in free money each year from your employer to invest. And a Roth 401k will grow tax-free if you have that option.

In my more aggressive taxable accounts, I also dollar cost average a certain amount, and add as much additional money as I can. Since the crash of late ’07 to early ’09, I typically keep anywhere from 15-25% or more in cash set aside to buy other securities for trades / additional investments as  opportunities present themselves. When the markets sold off 15% in 2010 and 20% in 2011, I bought much more than usual.
A

2Thick

• Getbig IV
  • His Thickness
« Reply #54 on: August 28, 2014, 03:55:20 PM »
When rates start to go up, bonds will decline in value - especially US treasuries.

I think we'll probably see a correction if rates spike suddenly, or if we see the earnings trend halt and perhaps reverse.

Some industries are more interest rate sensitive. I've been big on energy for a while, and plan to continue investing heavily there. Besides the Fed, the energy boom in recent years has been keeping the country going.

There will also always be certain biotech plays that will be very volatile and allow for substantial quick profits on either side of the trade.

Tech as well.

Companies in these high-beta, volatile industries are also good to have puts on, since they will also tend to move down significantly when things get rough.
A

Viking11

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #55 on: August 28, 2014, 06:37:12 PM »
Corrections happen when the market is overvalued.  It may not be the case.  2007 was not a correction it was near systemic collapse.

Voice of Doom

• Getbig IV
  • Everything is under control.
« Reply #56 on: August 28, 2014, 07:53:07 PM »
 ;)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #57 on: August 28, 2014, 07:59:22 PM »
invest in paper.   Flex magazines from decades past.

Invest in precious metals - trophies from regional bodybuilding shows will suffice.

gmflex

• Getbig V
  • The Empire lives...you rebel scum!!!
« Reply #58 on: August 28, 2014, 08:27:09 PM »
Lol
 ;D ;D

Mr.1derful

• Getbig V

Wiggs

• Getbig V
  • Child of Y'srael
« Reply #60 on: August 28, 2014, 09:46:18 PM »

syntaxmachine

• Getbig IV
« Reply #61 on: August 29, 2014, 02:22:05 AM »
The Crank's Handbook of Finance

"It's coming brehs, hyperinflation is coming any day now! The Fed is printing trillions breh! Prepare your anus brehs!!!11"

*Silently slink into the shadows as years of post-Great Recession data disconfirm the imminent hyperinflation hypothesis as the Fed open market operations come to a close; ignore the fact that the compounded growth rate of the CPI has been 1.68% for the last thirty years since the Fed essentially tamed inflation in 1983.*

"It's coming brehs, an imminent financial collapse will bring about the Apocalypse. Get them gold coins and ammo breh!!11"

*Silently slink into the shadows as years of post-Great Recession growth rates, recovery in household balance sheets, and an ever-increasing appetite for consumption all indicate a sluggish but steady recovery, thereby disconfirming the imminent financial collapse hypothesis; ignore capital ratio provisions in Dodd-Frank and enhanced risk aversion on the part of banks that inure the system from another 'too big to fail' shock.*

*Bloody hell brehs the equities bubble is about to pop!!!11 Them rates are gunna be raisin! Get out now brehs oh god oh god!!11"

*Ignore the fact that the interest rate hikes are contingent on economic data and therefore may not even occur; ignore that when they occur they will be far less extensive than the last round of hikes from 1% to 5.25% from 2004-2006; ignore that equities continued to rise through that tightening cycle anyway and were only stopped by the Great Recession. Prepare to silently slink into shadows as the imminent stock bubble collapse hypotheses is disconfirmed.*

Remember, never discuss contrary evidence and NEVER acknowledge any falsified hypotheses -- that would be giving in to the man. And for maximal effect, sprinkle in references to zerohedge posts with unexplained graphs to make it look like you derived your opinion from evidence rather than paranoiac/conspiratorial thought patterns generated from deviant psychological processes.

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #62 on: August 29, 2014, 04:15:15 AM »
;)

Yep. 6 months food/water and close to 20k rounds of ammo. Check.

Also, check these guys out: http://www.ar500armor.com/plate-carriers/plate-carrier-packages-w-armor.html

Rifle capable armor. I have a couple.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
« Reply #63 on: August 29, 2014, 05:53:55 AM »
Ignorant ass... open your eyes.  Cognitive dissonance.

Don't worry, Jesus will protect you   ::)

I made a joke....a play on the all the internet ads about the coming crash......"The market is going to crash - send me $50 to find out....."

Why attack my faith?  Completely unrelated.  Don't understand some of y'all.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
« Reply #64 on: August 29, 2014, 05:56:01 AM »
It's hardly a matter of conspiracy, only one of economics.  A topic about which 99% of the masses are illiterate.  You'll forgive me if I include you among the 99%.

Somehow I'll have to press on knowing that.

So let's dive a bit deeper.   Given what you know how should I prepare?  What steps should I take to help assuage the impact of the inevitable?

Take me from blind sheep to surviving wolf.

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #65 on: August 29, 2014, 06:02:55 AM »
Getbig always has the best stock advice.  I have maximized my portfolio by 2809 percent just by taking the advices of these wise sages. 

That's a better return than the Cell-Tech/Muscle-Tech stack.

Nirvana

• Getbig V
« Reply #66 on: August 29, 2014, 10:47:45 AM »
Invest in Gifted Nutrition

FermiDirac

• Getbig IV
  • That'll do pig, that'll do
« Reply #67 on: August 29, 2014, 10:49:18 AM »
There's money to be made in fear mongering.

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
  • my love for ronnie will never die
« Reply #68 on: August 29, 2014, 10:59:39 AM »
There's money to be made in fear mongering.
wallstreet buys fear and sells greed

or what was that saying again

lol

pedro01

• Getbig V
  • Hello Hunior
« Reply #69 on: August 29, 2014, 11:18:39 AM »
Problem is right now - apart from the fact that stock markets are biased to the long side permanently - is there's a shit load of money floating around.

And it's going into the markets.

And they keep going up because of it.

The long bias - as 2Thick says - part of his strategy is dripping money into stuff - averaging in. Look at all the pension funds that do the same thing. Do they ever go short? Nope, they can't - all they can do is buy stuff or go flat. If they go flat and miss moves, they lose clients. So all things being equal, stocks will rise.

Sophus

• Getbig IV
« Reply #70 on: August 29, 2014, 12:24:04 PM »
Huge Cock Market Erection Coming

Thats what I read

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #71 on: August 29, 2014, 12:39:17 PM »
wallstreet buys fear and sells greed

or what was that saying again

lol

Buys on rumor, sells on fact.

2Thick

• Getbig IV
  • His Thickness
« Reply #72 on: August 31, 2014, 01:45:10 PM »
Long-only managers and many other managers and more sophisticated investors sometimes write covered calls for income when markets are sluggish and bond interest rates are so low.

And the upward bias of the markets has a lot to do with the "survival of the fittest" nature of the markets and the business world in general. Companies that are good enough and clean enough to go public often do, and those that are good enough to make it onto market indices and continue trading through an exchange must perform well enough to stay there.

I remember when I was working as a retail broker years ago, and old guys who'd been around since the early 80's spoke fondly of when the Dow was barely above 1000.  ;D

When you have the Blockbusters fall out of favor and that niche gets filled by the Netflixes, or the Borders and many other various retailers get cut out by the Amazons, the better companies rise up, and the dinosaur industries and companies fall and often disappear completely.
A

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #73 on: September 02, 2014, 10:59:26 AM »
Getbig Stock Advice.

2Thick

• Getbig IV
  • His Thickness
« Reply #74 on: September 03, 2014, 10:24:48 AM »
Some of us have had to work for a living. And some of us persued very useful, highly rewarding occupations.
A