Author Topic: A Walk Among the Tombstones (Liam Neeson)  (Read 8606 times)

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
Re: A Walk Among the Tombstones (Liam Neeson)
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2014, 05:16:22 PM »
"The Grey" was the stupidest movie I've ever seen.

I liked it. When you suspended your "reality" of the whole man vs. wolf, it had a good message to it.

Once more into the fray,
Into the last good fight Ill ever know.
Live and die on this day,
Live and die on this day.
X

Royalty

• Getbig V
  • Mentzer is Alive
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2014, 07:50:41 PM »
I liked it. When you suspended your "reality" of the whole man vs. wolf, it had a good message to it.

Once more into the fray,

I've seen that movie many times. It gets better with multiple viewings.

SOMEPARTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2014, 07:50:45 PM »
Saw it today. It's worth watching. They don't play him up as too physically imposing so it works better than some older action hero characters.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2014, 07:56:50 PM »
Saw the "Drop" last night...it was pretty good..

Wanna see this.

RagingBull

• Getbig IV
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2014, 07:59:06 PM »
The hypocrisy is mind boggling considering Liam Neeson has made millions making violent movies.

Liam Neeson shoots off anti-gun rant in latest interview:

http://redalertpolitics.com/2014/09/16/liam-neeson-shoots-anti-gun-rant-latest-interview/

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2014, 07:59:49 PM »

I've seen that movie many times. It gets better with multiple viewings.

Agreed. I really enjoyed the movie :)
X

Royalty

• Getbig V
  • Mentzer is Alive
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2014, 08:01:06 PM »
Agreed. I really enjoyed the movie :)

The director's commentary is exceptional

orion

• Getbig IV
« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2014, 07:12:16 AM »

Once more into the fray,

Well, when you are in a plane crash you are supposed to stay with the plane, especially in sup zero temps.  To try to outrun wolves is just stupid.  He basically got everyone killed.  Plus I consider myself a buff on animals and they demonized the wolves much like they did the shark in Jaws.  that's Hollywood.

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
  • Better to die on your feet than on your knees.
« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2014, 07:17:56 AM »
Well, when you are in a plane crash you are supposed to stay with the plane, especially in sup zero temps.  To try to outrun wolves is just stupid.  He basically got everyone killed.  Plus I consider myself a buff on animals and they demonized the wolves much like they did the shark in Jaws.  that's Hollywood.

Hungry wolves and sharks gotta eat.

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2014, 07:34:07 AM »
The hypocrisy is mind boggling considering Liam Neeson has made millions making violent movies.

http://redalertpolitics.com/2014/09/16/liam-neeson-shoots-anti-gun-rant-latest-interview/

Standard boilerplate Hollywood leftist crap. I don't even know if they understand the words that leave their lips; they just need to toe the line.

MikMaq

« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2014, 03:21:51 PM »

Couldn't possibly be because he's able to distinguish between fiction and reality.

Suppose you'd be shocked to find out he's anti light saber as well ::)

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2014, 01:44:24 PM »
Just saw this, I give it a b to b- as a standalone film, c compared to the book.

The good points are that it is a decent gritty cop picture with a decent story that manages to keep you involved through the entire thing, although a bit slow at times. They managed to keep it about 90% close to the original book form. Also it shouldn't remind you too much of Taken, unless you have him already pinned as the Taken guy. He doesn't have any super magical fight scenes and the gun fights are very plain and semi realistic.

The bad -

Scudder is suppose to be a born and bred NYC street cop, yet he sounds like a fresh off the boat Irishman trying too hard to lose the accent.

The cinematography / scenery is off because of NYC gentrification, the original book was from gritty Dinkins era NY where there was real grit and grime to the areas mentioned in the plot line. The movie updates that to late 90's, but that still doesn't help it, the whole area now in the film looks like your standard lilly white rich Manahattan / rich hipster Brooklyn.

Much like the scenery, some of the actors in supporting roles just lack the panache of good character actors, where in a movie like say Taxi Driver, or Abel Ferrara's work you can look at the actors an go "yeah, I can totally see them in this role", you just don't get that in this film as much.

Slang. There is a central young black character in the film that has a few lines of slang written for him that just sound bad. Think 50 year old white guy trying to figure out what a 90's black kid would say. Awful.

Neeson plays a mentor to that character too, and while most of the scenes are benign and agreeable, one is absolutely ABC afterschool special level douchey, I'll let viewers pick it out.

Also they changed the ending from the book where it was very dark and grim, to standard Hollywood faire that is just alright.

RagingBull

• Getbig IV
« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2014, 02:34:42 PM »
Another expected moronic response...

Couldn't possibly be because he's able to distinguish between fiction and reality.

Suppose you'd be shocked to find out he's anti light saber as well ::)

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2014, 02:40:51 PM »

Well, its a movie for entertainment purposes. I did not think anything less of wolves after viewing the movie. If someone actually thinks thats how wolves are, then they are dumb and should not watch movies.
X

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2014, 02:43:22 PM »
 :D

hench

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2014, 02:51:06 PM »

stavios

• Getbig III
« Reply #41 on: September 25, 2014, 03:39:59 PM »
About to go see the new Denzel Washington's movie as I type this

had to choose between the 2 and it seems like we haven't seen much of Denzel those last few months so that's what I chose

orion

• Getbig IV
« Reply #42 on: September 25, 2014, 05:27:17 PM »
wtf, liam pissed himself
 ;D

Should'a worn his Depends.

orion

• Getbig IV
« Reply #43 on: September 25, 2014, 05:35:33 PM »
Well, its a movie for entertainment purposes. I did not think anything less of wolves after viewing the movie. If someone actually thinks thats how wolves are, then they are dumb and should not watch movies.

I realize that, have no trouble suspending my belief in scifi or horror flicks but it seems to me they tried very hard to imply that this is actual wolf behavior., Neeson being the hunter and survivalist.  By the way I was rooting for the wolves

orion

• Getbig IV
« Reply #44 on: September 25, 2014, 05:42:39 PM »

had to choose between the 2 and it seems like we haven't seen much of Denzel those last few months so that's what I chose

Okay here's another aging actor who can't say no to playing a tough guy one more time.  Unless you look like the guy below quietly fad into the shadows and start taking roles like James Garner did when he got older

hench

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: September 25, 2014, 05:55:19 PM »
i've heard tombstones is boring, not an action film and equalizer is meant to be badass. Please report back  :)

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: September 25, 2014, 10:42:21 PM »

Benchley later regretted writing it because of the resulting slaughter. Ultimately, sanity prevailed and the whites became protected and have rebounded quite well.

And now we got Discovery Channel (who initially helped the cause) peddling their "Serial Killer Shark" dogshit, trying to undo all that's been accomplished. Total ratings whores.

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #47 on: September 26, 2014, 05:31:15 AM »
Just saw this, I give it a b to b- as a standalone film, c compared to the book.

The good points are that it is a decent gritty cop picture with a decent story that manages to keep you involved through the entire thing, although a bit slow at times. They managed to keep it about 90% close to the original book form. Also it shouldn't remind you too much of Taken, unless you have him already pinned as the Taken guy. He doesn't have any super magical fight scenes and the gun fights are very plain and semi realistic.

The bad -

Scudder is suppose to be a born and bred NYC street cop, yet he sounds like a fresh off the boat Irishman trying too hard to lose the accent.

The cinematography / scenery is off because of NYC gentrification, the original book was from gritty Dinkins era NY where there was real grit and grime to the areas mentioned in the plot line. The movie updates that to late 90's, but that still doesn't help it, the whole area now in the film looks like your standard lilly white rich Manahattan / rich hipster Brooklyn.

Much like the scenery, some of the actors in supporting roles just lack the panache of good character actors, where in a movie like say Taxi Driver, or Abel Ferrara's work you can look at the actors an go "yeah, I can totally see them in this role", you just don't get that in this film as much.

Slang. There is a central young black character in the film that has a few lines of slang written for him that just sound bad. Think 50 year old white guy trying to figure out what a 90's black kid would say. Awful.

Neeson plays a mentor to that character too, and while most of the scenes are benign and agreeable, one is absolutely ABC afterschool special level douchey, I'll let viewers pick it out.

Also they changed the ending from the book where it was very dark and grim, to standard Hollywood faire that is just alright.
Superior review. Nice.

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: September 26, 2014, 07:11:25 AM »
Benchley later regretted writing it because of the resulting slaughter. Ultimately, sanity prevailed and the whites became protected and have rebounded quite well.

And now we got Discovery Channel (who initially helped the cause) peddling their "Serial Killer Shark" dogshit, trying to undo all that's been accomplished. Total ratings whores.

All those 70's shark hunting tough guys were not true alphas.  What they needed to do was jump in the water (no cage) with a knife and fight the shark in his element.

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: September 26, 2014, 07:20:47 AM »
I saw this movie the other day.  I was expecting another Taken type of movie, but I was pleasantly surprised.  This is a fairly dark movie.  It starts out slow, but gets better as it progresses.  Like some said above, the action scenes are believable without the outrageous flash-editing that has become the norm today.

A solid 7/10.