Getbig Main Boards > General Topics
Invisible Touch (Genesis)
(1/4) > >>
BayGBM:
Was listening to this CD on my way home from work today.  Had not played it in a couple years.  The CD came out in June of 1986 and was the 13th studio album by Genesis (how many bands last long enough to put out 13 albums?).  Anyway, I am stunned at how well this album has held up.  The songs are still amazing... and sound fresh...  and the least acknowledged song on the album is probably the best; the instrumental "The Brazilian."

There isn't a band today that can touch the quality of Genesis.  They simply don't make em like this anymore. 8)
Pray_4_War:
Do you like Phil Collins? I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums. Christy, take off your robe. Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. Sabrina, remove your dress. In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism. Sabrina, why don't you, uh, dance a little. Take the lyrics to Land of Confusion. In this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority. In Too Deep is the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as anything I've heard in rock. Christy, get down on your knees so Sabrina can see your asshole. Phil Collins' solo career seems to be more commercial and therefore more satisfying, in a narrower way. Especially songs like In the Air Tonight and Against All Odds. Sabrina, don't just stare at it, eat it. But I also think Phil Collins works best within the confines of the group, than as a solo artist, and I stress the word artist. This is Sussudio, a great, great song, a personal favorite.
SOMEPARTS:
Duke is okay but Lamb Lies Down on Broadway, Trick of the Tail, Selling England by the Pound - what don't you get about those albums? Those are the best they have...the rest is just an echo.
BayGBM:

--- Quote from: Pray_4_War on September 23, 2014, 07:15:49 PM ---Do you like Phil Collins? I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums. Christy, take off your robe. Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. Sabrina, remove your dress. In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism. Sabrina, why don't you, uh, dance a little. Take the lyrics to Land of Confusion. In this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority. In Too Deep is the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as anything I've heard in rock. Christy, get down on your knees so Sabrina can see your asshole. Phil Collins' solo career seems to be more commercial and therefore more satisfying, in a narrower way. Especially songs like In the Air Tonight and Against All Odds. Sabrina, don't just stare at it, eat it. But I also think Phil Collins works best within the confines of the group, than as a solo artist, and I stress the word artist. This is Sussudio, a great, great song, a personal favorite.

--- End quote ---

I'd certainly count myself a Phil Collins fan.  Since it came out, Face Value (1981) has always been in my top 10 album list; right up there with Thriller (1982), Revolver (1966), or What's Going On (1971).  It's gratifying to hear you call Invisible Touch their masterpiece; the album has aged exceedingly well.  As your tastes (and mine) mature you/we may come to (re)discover and appreciate their other albums more and more.  It is an amazing phenomena when that happens.

It is funny, when Peter Gabriel left the group many people thought they would never recover.  If you are a fan, you probably already know the story of how the group auditioned literally hundreds of potential singers to replace Gabriel.  They didn't like any of them.  Out of desperation they decided to give Phil a try (who was already in the group playing instruments).  It was a perfect fit.  There is a powerful lesson there.
BayGBM:
If you haven't already done so, check out Rolling Stone's list of the 500 Greatest Albums of All Time and compare your taste with theirs.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/500-greatest-albums-of-all-time-20120531

Navigation
Message Index
Next page

Go to full version