Author Topic: Probiotics Suggestions  (Read 19114 times)

Pumpzilla

• Getbig IV
Probiotics Suggestions
« on: October 08, 2014, 10:30:35 PM »
I'm coming off a round of prednisone due to a crohns flare and my doc suggested taking a probiotic to help the flora in my stomach recover from the harsh steroid.

Any suggestions as to which brand and specific probiotic I could take? My doc did suggest that it not be too strong. Also, I can't go with yogurt due to lactose intolerance.

Thank you for your time.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
Re: Probiotics Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2014, 07:43:35 AM »
I'm coming off a round of prednisone due to a crohns flare and my doc suggested taking a probiotic to help the flora in my stomach recover from the harsh steroid.

Any suggestions as to which brand and specific probiotic I could take? My doc did suggest that it not be too strong. Also, I can't go with yogurt due to lactose intolerance.

Thank you for your time.

Have you tried Greek yogurt?  Much less lactose than other dairy.
:

Qwert II

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2014, 09:26:34 AM »
Flora Udo's Choice Advanced Adult's Probiotic is the best, imo.

Pumpzilla

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2014, 12:48:10 PM »
Thank you for the suggestion, Princess L. But for now I have to stay completely away from any lactose. Having a crohns flare makes me hardcore lactose intolerant.

Thanks, Qwert II. I looked up some reviews for that and a lot of people seem to really like it. I'll look more into it and see about giving it a try.

Rudee

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2014, 01:55:46 PM »

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2014, 05:44:29 PM »
every study (peer reviewed and independantly funded) i have ever read about probiotic supplements (not natural sources which have some value) have demonstrated 0 effect over placebo

NaturalWonder83

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2014, 04:28:40 AM »
Kefir or refrigerated sauerkrout or kimchi
w

Pumpzilla

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2014, 05:24:11 AM »
Kefir or refrigerated sauerkrout or kimchi

My doc actually suggested staying away from kefir. As she felt it would be too strong for my stomach right now. Which brings to mind, what is a weak probiotic?

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2014, 03:43:54 PM »
Make sammiches with sourdough bread.
:

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2014, 03:52:31 PM »
This sounds edible and would probably be a good "spread" on a turkey sammich.

http://nourishedkitchen.com/beetroot-relish/

probiotic apple & beetroot relish

Yield: Approximately, 24 2-ounce portions
    Prep: 10 to 20 mins
    Cook: 3 – 4 days (minimum fermentation time) mins
    Ready In: 13 mins

This recipe yields approximately twenty-four 2-ounce portions. Don’t let the high yield of the recipe deter you; this apple and beetroot relish is rich in beneficial, lactic-acid-producing bacteria which naturally preserve the dish, ensuring that it will keep for approximately six weeks or longer when refrigerated. This recipe was featured in December’s Recipe Cards by Nourished Kitchen. For more naturally fermented recipes like this probiotic beetroot relish, check out these fermented and cultured food recipes.
Ingredients

3 large large apples (about 1 ½ pounds, cored but not peeled)
    3 large beets (about 1 ½ pounds, peeled)
    2 star anise pods
    1 tbsp whole cloves
    1 tbsp unrefined sea salt
    fermented vegetable starter culture (if desired)

Instructions

Shred apples and beets by hand, or in a food processor.
    Toss the shredded apples and beets together until well-combined and mixed together.
    Add the star anise and whole cloves to the apples and beetroot, and continue to toss until the spices are evenly distributed among the shredded fruit and vegetables.
    In a mason jar or, preferably, a vegetable fermenter (see sources), layer the apple and beetroot.
    Periodically sprinkle unrefined sea salt or vegetable starter culture over the layers of apple and beetroot and mash with a wooden spoon or mallet to encourage the fruit and vegetables to release their juices, creating a luscious brine to encourage the proliferation of beneficial bacteria.
    Ferment in a mason jar or vegetable fermenter for a minimum of three to four days, or longer, depending on the level of warmth in your kitchen.
    After your apple and beetroot relish has sufficiently cultured, remove it from the vegetable fermenter and gently pick out the star anise pods and whole cloves.
    Place the apple and beetroot relish into a blender or food processor and process until smooth.
:

Rudee

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2014, 11:11:01 PM »

What did you notice from it?

I take it just before bedtime on empty stomach.   Gives me a nice healthy poop the following day.    Just feels better when I take it, then when I don't.

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2014, 05:28:43 AM »
every study (peer reviewed and independantly funded) i have ever read about probiotic supplements (not natural sources which have some value) have demonstrated 0 effect over placebo

There is a ton of data on probiotics, ranging from travellers diarhhea to infant constipation. I suspect based on the way the literature is going that there will be massive amounts of benefits in nearly all disorders, obesity to autism. It really matters about the strain.