Author Topic: Boxing Legends  (Read 29128 times)

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • mma finance warrior of peace
Re: Boxing Legends
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2014, 07:09:14 AM »
Does no body rate the little Irishman who mcguigan is mentoring, I think he will spark Scott quig and make a splash on the world scene..

Box nation is even worse than sky, monthly sub fees for the odd fight and endless re runs, frank warren is slowly dying in top boxing, none of his fighters get any exposure

Simple Simon

« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2014, 07:10:20 AM »
Kirkland Laing, could have been one of the greats, beats Roberto Duran and went missing for a week partying after.
Guy loved to party way too much.

Another legend is Aaron Pryor, and absolute machine.
His career is blighted by accusations of stimulant use.
Guy fought most of his career blind in one eye.

Pork_Chop

• Getbig III
  • Registered since 2003
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2014, 07:13:22 AM »
Does no body rate the little Irishman who mcguigan is mentoring, I think he will spark Scott quig and make a splash on the world scene..

Box nation is even worse than sky, monthly sub fees for the odd fight and endless re runs, frank warren is slowly dying in top boxing, none of his fighters get any exposure

Frampton is a very tidy fighter, I'd not be 100% about him beating Quigg - but the dark horse is probably unbeaten Kid Galahad, the unbeaten Ingle trained fighter. Real name Barry Awad  ;D  - he is a very decent super bantamweight indeed too.

But it's all immaterial when you have the unbelievably skilled and crafty Guilermo Rigondeaux at the top of the division. He is perhaps the most skillful fighter in many years. He turned pro late after defecting from Cuba, but at 34 he is still seems like he has plenty of fights left in him. He boxes like a 10th dan martial artist. Almost without thinking.

bigmc

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2014, 07:15:42 AM »
Frampton is a very tidy fighter, I'd not be 100% about him beating Quigg - but the dark horse is probably unbeaten Kid Galahad, the unbeaten Ingle trained fighter. Real name Barry Awad  ;D  - he is a very decent super bantamweight indeed too.

But it's all immaterial when you have the unbelievably skilled and crafty Guilermo Rigondeaux at the top of the division. He is perhaps the most skillful fighter in many years. He turned pro late after defecting from Cuba, but at 34 he is still seems like he has plenty of fights left in him. He boxes like a 10th dan martial artist. Almost without thinking.

isn't galahad a poor mans prince naseem

naz could bang as well

from what ive seen of galahad

he seemed a bit all over the place

that was the other thing about naz although he was flash he was very technically sound too

T

Pork_Chop

• Getbig III
  • Registered since 2003
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2014, 07:16:32 AM »
Kirkland Laing, could have been one of the greats, beats Roberto Duran and went missing for a week partying after.

His brother Tony Laing was decent too, won British title at welter if I remember from memory. Kirkland did catch Roberto on a day he didn't really care very much, but as a Brit we brush that under the carpet.

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2014, 07:18:54 AM »

If im thinking of the same Cuban I think he sent me to sleep several times, too clinical and technical

Yafa kafi?, has looked good for a while too, id like to see him stepped up... Don't rate gallahad as highly as his British peers just yet.

Big Anthony Joshua is the biggest prospect in the country for a long time...

Pork_Chop

• Getbig III
  • Registered since 2003
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2014, 07:25:58 AM »
isn't galahad a poor mans prince naseem

The Ingle's once read an article that refered to him as the Aldi Naz  - and have called it him often ever since.

Stylistically they are chalk and cheese, if anything Naz did everything wrong but he had the balance of a gyroscope and the reflexes of a cat when he was young. I caught him at the Mansfield Leisure Centre in 92,93 and 94 when he was still a professional novice. But you could see he was going to be a very big star indeed.

Interestingly, when Carl Froch turned professional - Naz knew he was a fan and took him for a spin in his Testarossa in a bid to become his manager, also the Ingle gym wanted to train him. But they take a large slice from their fighters - and ultimately after winning the Bronze at the Amateur Worlds in Belfast, he decided to join Mick Hennessy whom had just began out as a promoter after formerly being part of Panix Promotions (who looked after Lennox at the end).

Hennessy had esteemed trainer McCracken, looking after a group of lads he called the 'Real class of 2002' consisting of Froch, David Walker, Mathew Thirwall and Lee Meagre. All bright amateurs and promising professionals. David Haye fought on one of their early BBC broadcasts, but later he signed with Frank Maloney instead.

Sadly Audley Harrison then won a gold at the olympics, and then he negitoated to take their full boxing budget of £1m year himself, delivering absolute dross against binmen, taxi drivers and nightclub bouncers. And shortly after the BBC withdrew from the sport altogether on a professional level.

Rascal full

• Getbig IV
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2014, 07:29:16 AM »
Best p4p figher in any division for me is Guillermo Rigondeaux. Only a little fella but he would take out Quigg and Frampton on the same night. Unbelievable skills.

Pork_Chop

• Getbig III
  • Registered since 2003
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2014, 07:32:51 AM »

If im thinking of the same Cuban I think he sent me to sleep several times, too clinical and technical

Yafa kafi?, has looked good for a while too, id like to see him stepped up... Don't rate gallahad as highly as his British peers just yet.

Big Anthony Joshua is the biggest prospect in the country for a long time...

Yes, HBO have dropped him from their rota after he put a clinic on their exciting / big-punching Nonito Donaire - he made the lion look like a pussy cat. But in doing so he sent the audience to sleep. He was too good. I nearly made that fight, my friends did - it was at the Radio City Music Hall in New York, a really classic venue.

Yafai suffered a torn left bicep after beating Ramabeletsa, until then he was looking the goods. His brother Gamal Yafai, slighty bigger at super bantam could be the pick of the two.

I agree, Joshua is a great prospect in the marquee division - but he was lucky, very lucky with the opening round victory over the Cuban and some thought he also lost the Olympic final to Roberto Camarelle , the Italian policeman.

Simple Simon

« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2014, 07:33:27 AM »
His brother Tony Laing was decent too, won British title at welter if I remember from memory. Kirkland did catch Roberto on a day he didn't really care very much, but as a Brit we brush that under the carpet.
Yes, I agree, a fully fit Duran would have destroyed him.
Heres Duran taking apart Davey Moore, totally demolished him
should have been stopped way earlier.

Pork_Chop

• Getbig III
  • Registered since 2003
« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2014, 07:40:50 AM »
Davey Moore could have been killed that night thanks to the terrible referee, Ernesto Magana. Apparently his mother and girlfriend almost passed out with screaming, tearing their vocal chords.

Killed by his own 4x4, left the hand break off and it rolled over him !

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2014, 08:10:01 AM »
Yes, HBO have dropped him from their rota after he put a clinic on their exciting / big-punching Nonito Donaire - he made the lion look like a pussy cat. But in doing so he sent the audience to sleep. He was too good. I nearly made that fight, my friends did - it was at the Radio City Music Hall in New York, a really classic venue.

Yafai suffered a torn left bicep after beating Ramabeletsa, until then he was looking the goods. His brother Gamal Yafai, slighty bigger at super bantam could be the pick of the two.

I agree, Joshua is a great prospect in the marquee division - but he was lucky, very lucky with the opening round victory over the Cuban and some thought he also lost the Olympic final to Roberto Camarelle , the Italian policeman.

The thing with Joshua is he was a rank novice when he made the Olympic squad, he came late into boxing..

He seems idealy suited to the pro's, also has the best physique I've seen for a long time on a heavy, I hate seeing pro fighters with floppy tits and a belly

On the same subject, if fatty mcdermot had lost 4 or 5 stone of the fat he carried he'd have been a huge punching super middle

herne

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2014, 08:13:52 AM »
Guy loved to party way too much.

Another legend is Aaron Pryor, and absolute machine.
His career is blighted by accusations of stimulant use.
Guy fought most of his career blind in one eye.

GraniteCityDon

• Getbig IV
« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2014, 01:46:55 PM »
I was working in East Kilbride when Scott Harrison was barred from every pub in the town, boy was a complete fucking idiot. Would go around giving the big, "do you know who i am" and trying to twat the bouncers after a few drinks. Genuinely fancied rattling one off his puss if he started on me but he kept it for the doormen. girl.

Calzaghe had incredible cardio and great hand speed but suffered ridiculous frailty of his hands. Benn was a banger that could most certainly put anyone to sleep in the division, Eubank was my favourite of that era for everything he offered. Eubank Jr has alot of promise, i see him beating DeGale within 18 months.

Until a few years ago the legendary banger Earnie Shavers was working the doors down here in the North West. 215lbs of pure juggernaut power, probably went further than his skillset should have allowed him to.

Simple Simon

« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2014, 01:55:36 PM »
I was working in East Kilbride when Scott Harrison was barred from every pub in the town, boy was a complete fucking idiot. Would go around giving the big, "do you know who i am" and trying to twat the bouncers after a few drinks. Genuinely fancied rattling one off his puss if he started on me but he kept it for the doormen. girl.

Calzaghe had incredible cardio and great hand speed but suffered ridiculous frailty of his hands. Benn was a banger that could most certainly put anyone to sleep in the division, Eubank was my favourite of that era for everything he offered. Eubank Jr has alot of promise, i see him beating DeGale within 18 months.

Until a few years ago the legendary banger Earnie Shavers was working the doors down here in the North West. 215lbs of pure juggernaut power, probably went further than his skillset should have allowed him to.

Eubank was my favourite, just his whole image and persona and his approach to the fight game.
His story about the fight with Watson in his autobiography is inspiring.

Shavers was on the doors in Liverpool wasnt he?

bigmc

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2014, 01:59:02 PM »
Eubank was my favourite, just his whole image and persona and his approach to the fight game.
His story about the fight with Watson in his autobiography is inspiring.

Shavers was on the doors in Liverpool wasnt he?

eubank was my favourite

I loves his persona

he beat benn at his home game when benn was a stone cold killer

he was never the same fighter after the Watson fight though

he always used to stop throwing when he had a fighter in trouble

if you look at his knock out percentage before and after the Watson fight

tells you everything you need to know

his son isn't bad but has no punching power
T

Simple Simon

« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2014, 02:05:38 PM »
eubank was my favourite

I loves his persona

he beat benn at his home game when benn was a stone cold killer

he was never the same fighter after the Watson fight though

he always used to stop throwing when he had a fighter in trouble

if you look at his knock out percentage before and after the Watson fight

tells you everything you need to know

his son isn't bad but has no punching power
He talks about that in his autobiography , he cites the fight with Collins when he rocked him and just couldn't move forward to finish him, his trainer slapped him across the face when he went back to the corner.

bigmc

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2014, 02:26:15 PM »
He talks about that in his autobiography , he cites the fight with Collins when he rocked him and just couldn't move forward to finish him, his trainer slapped him across the face when he went back to the corner.

he did it with henry Wharton too

to the point where he was complaining to the ref for not stopping it

rather than finishing him off
T

GraniteCityDon

• Getbig IV
« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2014, 02:47:59 PM »
Yeah Shavers was on the doors here, Eubank could have and should have beaten Collins but he had a long standing apprehension to engage once someone was in trouble. If it was a 1 punch KO he was fine but his killer instinct was shattered by the Watson result. Unlike Benn, who simply did not give a fuck about what he did to Mcclellan.

Simple Simon

« Reply #44 on: October 10, 2014, 02:56:53 PM »
Eubank talks about the reason he stood up after he got floored in the 11th by Watson.
He said that he got up to take his beating like a man, almost anyone would have stayed down in that situation, he had been soundly beaten the entire fight, all he was doing was getting up to take more punishment.
He called it "the killing time", he didn't mean that in a sinister way but he was saying that there comes a time in everyones life that defines them, he said that was his.

bigmc

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: October 11, 2014, 12:08:02 AM »
Eubank talks about the reason he stood up after he got floored in the 11th by Watson.
He said that he got up to take his beating like a man, almost anyone would have stayed down in that situation, he had been soundly beaten the entire fight, all he was doing was getting up to take more punishment.
He called it "the killing time", he didn't mean that in a sinister way but he was saying that there comes a time in everyones life that defines them, he said that was his.

that was the other reason I liked him so much there was no give in him

his will power overcame his physical limitations in that fight

its a tragedy what happened to Watson

it marred one of the greatest fights ever
T

Pork_Chop

• Getbig III
  • Registered since 2003
« Reply #46 on: October 11, 2014, 05:04:22 AM »
Eubank & Benn were great servants of British Boxing, but they knew where to draw the line - and that was against stepping in with James Toney at the same point in time at 168lb.

Toney was such a old school boxer, shame he preferred working out at Burger King at the end.

His 175 fight against Jirov was sublime and still perhaps one of the best light heavyweight fights I've seen to this day. Then he stepped up and halted Evander Holyfield at heavyweight in 9 rounds the fight after.

And Roy Jones junior, was a step even above James Toney, to go from the IBF middlewight title, straight up for the IBF super middleweight title and win so crisply, just showed Benn and Eubank to be absolutely nothing to him at that point in time.

And I say that with a heavy heart, as a big fan of chris and nigel.

Check this old vid

Pork_Chop

• Getbig III
  • Registered since 2003
« Reply #47 on: October 11, 2014, 05:25:35 AM »
Peter Fury, uncle and trainer of Tyson Fury says the Derek Chisora fight in a few weeks time has still not been signed for yet !

Jeez.

GraniteCityDon

• Getbig IV
« Reply #48 on: October 11, 2014, 05:33:36 AM »
In a purely hypothetical world - if Watson had finished Eubank in that fight how do you think he would have managed against Toney? I thought that, as a boxer, he was better than both Eubank & Benn in terms of ability & would have established himself.

Worthy of noting that my first post was in reference to Herol "Bomber" Graham, a man that both guys refused to even consider fighting because they knew what would happen. If he had a chin that could take a good crack he would have been HOF material no doubt. Absolutely dismantled The Hawk and was seconds away from beating him before he became immortalised in KO highlight reels.

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: October 12, 2014, 03:55:22 AM »
Only british middle to stand against Toney or jones is calazahgi....

A J looked monstorous last night, he will walk thru david price next week never mind in a years time....

Selby looked very impressive.....