Author Topic: Ebola - in Texas - Two Cases, including a nurse that wore protective gear  (Read 24750 times)

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Ebola - in Texas - Two Cases, including a nurse that wore protective gear
« Reply #175 on: October 13, 2014, 09:20:05 PM »

Interesting

I discovered this virus in 1976. It's frustrating that we still know too little to treat it effectively.   Fundamentally, Ebola is easy to contain. It's not a question of needing high technology. It's about respecting the basics of hygiene, and about isolation, quarantine and protecting yourself - in particular protecting healthcare workers, because they are very exposed.

We found that the virus was spread through injections by unsterilised needles and through contact with bodily fluids, blood and vomit, both with patients and at the funerals of family members where there is contact with infected bodies. In general, it is an infection that causes epidemics only if basic hospital hygiene is not respected, and is really a disease of poverty and neglect of health systems. This is why containment and hygiene are vital.

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/ebola-outbreaks-i-discovered-this-virus-in-1976-its-frustrating-that-we-still-know-too-little-to-treat-it-effectively-9218620.html

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #176 on: October 14, 2014, 07:28:47 AM »
The average EVD case fatality rate is around 50%. Case fatality rates have varied from 25% to 90% in past outbreaks. 

the rate is rising. 

WHO: Ebola death rate rises to 70 percent
The death rate in the Ebola outbreak has risen to 70 percent and there could be up to 10,000 new cases a week in two months, the World Health Organization warned Tuesday.

www.FoxNews.com

MikMaq

« Reply #177 on: October 14, 2014, 07:35:05 AM »
the rate is rising. 

The death rate in the Ebola outbreak has risen to 70 percent and there could be up to 10,000 new cases a week in two months, the World Health Organization warned Tuesday.

www.FoxNews.com
That's because of resources being spread more thin.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #178 on: October 14, 2014, 07:47:23 AM »

if that is the case, and it's at 70% death rate due to the CURRENT strain of 4,000 people having it...

It only makes sense that the 70% rate will RISE :(   As more people catch the ebola.

Also, I'd guess it's not exactly easy to just bring in more doctors/nurses.  They're not an easily renewable resource.  And when the first 20 or 100 or 500 doctors catch it, I'm betting it becomes way more difficult to recruit more.

I really could envision a scenario where (as I predicted a month ago) the US military shows up, puts up some road blocks, and just gives a huge part of that region 6 months to heal, die, recover, whatever, but you're not coming out or you are getting shot.  And it won't be on CNN lol, it'll just happen and we'll probably never hear about it.  I could totally see that being the case.  once the doctors abandon the hospitals, once people stop picking up the diseased bodies, it can get ugly fast.

At some point, you can't cure it, you can only hope to contain it. 

el numero uno

• Getbig V
  • Clean your room, bucko.
« Reply #179 on: October 14, 2014, 07:54:27 AM »
if that is the case, and it's at 70% death rate due to the CURRENT strain of 4,000 people having it...

It only makes sense that the 70% rate will RISE :(   As more people catch the ebola.

Also, I'd guess it's not exactly easy to just bring in more doctors/nurses.  They're not an easily renewable resource.  And when the first 20 or 100 or 500 doctors catch it, I'm betting it becomes way more difficult to recruit more.

I really could envision a scenario where (as I predicted a month ago) the US military shows up, puts up some road blocks, and just gives a huge part of that region 6 months to heal, die, recover, whatever, but you're not coming out or you are getting shot.  And it won't be on CNN lol, it'll just happen and we'll probably never hear about it.  I could totally see that being the case.  once the doctors abandon the hospitals, once people stop picking up the diseased bodies, it can get ugly fast.

Lay off the walking dead.

Mr. MB

• Getbig III
« Reply #180 on: October 14, 2014, 07:56:59 AM »
10,000 West Africans leave via commercial air every day for Europe and North America. If in two months the World Health Organization is correct and we get 10s of thousands of new cases those flights WILL BE flying petri dishes.

Keep your eyes and ears open for news that Gov agencies (not just USA), military, and international laboratories/research/drug producers ban their employees from using commercial air travel. It will be hush hush at first but the word will get out. They can not afford to bring EBOLA back into their midst.

I have a gut feel that once this upcoming election cycle is past us the truth hits the streets. I pray that this does not happen. I need to be wrong on this, not trust my sources...foolish. Christmas and New Year and their events such as parades, vacations, bowl games, etc. rely on air travel.

I myself will not use a commercial airliner. Its a 15 hour drive each way for us to see family over the holidays. We will drive.

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #181 on: October 14, 2014, 08:49:51 AM »

And the location of the outbreak.  An Outbreak in a remote village will be relatively contained and the casualties fewer.  Outbreaks that occur in congested urban areas are likely to cause more problems.  This is also on the WHO website.
A

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #182 on: October 14, 2014, 09:05:47 AM »
It seems that outbreaks of diseases tend to happen in shitty areas of the world like China, India, Africa etc...  This is mother nature's way of cleansing itself.  Overpopulation is killing this earth and the earth will fight back.

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #183 on: October 14, 2014, 09:37:55 AM »
It seems that outbreaks of diseases tend to happen in shitty areas of the world like China, India, Africa etc...  This is mother nature's way of cleansing itself.  Overpopulation is killing this earth and the earth will fight back.

^^
Fucking THIS!

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #184 on: October 14, 2014, 09:47:12 AM »
And the location of the outbreak.  An Outbreak in a remote village will be relatively contained and the casualties fewer.  Outbreaks that occur in congested urban areas are likely to cause more problems.  This is also on the WHO website.

excellent point here.

I have a gut feel that once this upcoming election cycle is past us the truth hits the streets. I pray that this does not happen. I need to be wrong on this, not trust my sources...foolish. Christmas and New Year and their events such as parades, vacations, bowl games, etc. rely on air travel.

YES!   Congress is spending its days arguing about Redskins name change, and seeing who's the bigger extremist as they run for re-election.  NOBODY wants to talk ebola because people will just vote for CHANGE, if they think the govt isn't protecting them.  They'll vote out anyone they can - particularly because there's no Ebola Emergency bill, there's no congressional hearings on closing airports or flights. 

There's some action from obama, airport testing, etc, but all congress is doing is shitting on that, since attacking an unpopular president is smart politics.  If we suddenly have 100 cases, then we suddenly have 3000 cases. 

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #185 on: October 14, 2014, 09:52:43 AM »
the rate is rising. 

www.FoxNews.com

Good old FOX news....spreading the panic.

MikMaq

« Reply #186 on: October 14, 2014, 09:53:32 AM »

Very much agreed, however don't worry, Terrorism isurgance will magically be found in the area.

My mom was involved with planning here in CAnada.

And I asked her, whats gonna magically make people show up for work, if people are catching this shit wearing full suits.

A few episodic outbreaks, and things will be okay.

There are nutjob medical professionals from all over, wanting the excitement and attention for being in the suck.

But when it becomes the norm for a hospital to have a yearly outbreak things will change.

avxo

• Getbig V
  • Iron Pumping University Math Professor
« Reply #187 on: October 14, 2014, 06:04:49 PM »
Meanwhile, Georgia Governor Nathan Deal claims that water kills the Ebola virus so people ought to wash their hands. Don't believe me? Here's the quote:

“The most comforting thing that I heard from [Dr. Brenda Fitzgerald, commissioner of the Georgia Department of Public Health] was that water kills the Ebola virus. I’ve never heard that before. I thought it was something that was so contagious there wasn’t much you could do to prevent it or anything else, so her advice was ‘wash your hands.’” [link]

I very much doubt that's what he was told. Perhaps it was a genuine mistake, right? Well, when told that no, water doesn't kill Ebola, rather than backtrack and make an announcement and explain that no, water doesn't kill the Ebola virus, what does this buffoon and his campaign do? They double down. They claim the Governor was right and repeat the claim.

To be fair, he is technically right: it's true that water will kill Ebola - under laboratory conditions. But water will not kill Ebola outside a Petri dish. But then again, it'd be technically correct to say that drinking water also kills humans - and it can, in large enough quantities. But nobody would go on TV during a heat wave and say: "Well, you know... Heat does kill, but drinking water does too. So don't risk it. Just stay indoors with the A/C on and stay comfortable!"

The initial statement and, more importantly, the follow up are highly irresponsible and Deal ought to be called out on this. While nobody should get medical advice from a political candidate being interviewed as part of election coverage or from campaign press releases, elected public officials have a responsibility to be careful and to not to spread nonsense and FUD, especially on public health issues.

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #188 on: October 14, 2014, 06:25:11 PM »
We are not that overpopulated. There are many places on this earth, in this country, and in your state that you can go and not see people for weeks. We have unexplored swathes of land, forests, etc. it's just that people tend to congregate on the coasts.

Lustral

• Getbig V
  • FREE NOODLES
« Reply #189 on: October 14, 2014, 06:28:07 PM »
It seems that outbreaks of diseases tend to happen in shitty areas of the world like Africa, ,Africa, Africa etc...  This is mother nature's way of cleansing itself.  Overpopulation is killing this earth and the earth will fight back.

Fixed.

Only joined this thread now but I said to gf as soon as this started they need to contain it and impose strict travel and movement controls on people in the affected areas. I know it is unfair and restrictive on those people - 99% of whom are not infected - but I knew a lot about ebola and three to six months of hardship to that small amount of people would have left this as a flash in the pan.

Instead we have the same bullshit. This is restricted to here, most people from X are fine no restrictions needed. It spread. No need to worry, it is under control. It spread more. It is confined to this area (now a growing area of West Africa) - no travel restrictions needed. Foreign aid workers etc get infected IN AFRICA - let's repatriate them (wtf?!?!). Some die, some live after repatriation as it spreads in Africa. Health workers and possibly others infected in Europe/America from repatriated patients - these health workers have not been confined to hospitals/quarantine  -the Spanish nurse even travelled. Then you have people travelling to infected areas (Tim Duncan or whatever his name was) handles dead bodies, gets infected, LIES, goes on plane and interacts with countless people. He goes to hospital then dies and infects a nurse treating him as a giant fuck you before he does so.

Still, we had a ship dock here other day from Sierra Leone. Any checks? No. They declared themselves to be OK, cos sailors know this kind of thing and that is the status quo.

Suddenly WHO says ebola is spreading faster than it thought (because WHO did nothing), mortality rate is rising (50% to 70%) and now we are being fed the opposite bullshit like we were with SARS of a doomsday scenario (10k new cases per week by DEC according to the WHO). Complete joke - an exercise in political correctness and optimism triumphed over common sense and caution.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #190 on: October 14, 2014, 08:08:18 PM »
16 Members of Doctors Without Borders Infected with Ebola, Nine Dead

Source: Associated Press

LYNSEY CHUTEL, Associated Press | | Tuesday, October 14, 2014

JOHANNESBURG (AP) — International aid organization Doctors Without Borders said that 16 of its staff members have been infected with Ebola and nine of them have died.

Speaking at a press conference in Johannesburg Tuesday, the head of Doctors Without Borders in South Africa Sharon Ekambaram said medical workers have received inadequate assistance from the international community.

"Where is WHO Africa? Where is the African Union?" said Ekambaram who worked in Sierra Leone from August to September. "We've all heard their promises in the media but have seen very little on the ground."

Four of the organization's medical workers who had just returned from Sierra Leone and Liberia said they were frustrated, "chasing after the curve of the outbreak," according to Jens Pederson, the aid organization's humanitarian affairs adviser.

Lustral

• Getbig V
  • FREE NOODLES
« Reply #191 on: October 14, 2014, 08:16:58 PM »

JOHANNESBURG (AP) — International aid organization Doctors Without Borders said that 16 of its staff members have been infected with Ebola and nine of them have died.

Speaking at a press conference in Johannesburg Tuesday, the head of Doctors Without Borders in South Africa Sharon Ekambaram said medical workers have received inadequate assistance from the international community.

"Where is WHO Africa? Where is the African Union?" said Ekambaram who worked in Sierra Leone from August to September. "We've all heard their promises in the media but have seen very little on the ground."

Four of the organization's medical workers who had just returned from Sierra Leone and Liberia said they were frustrated, "chasing after the curve of the outbreak," according to Jens Pederson, the aid organization's humanitarian affairs adviser.

What disturbs me more than the ebola is the fact that Medecins sans frontieres has to be dumbed down to doctors without borders for Americans.

muscleman-2013

• Getbig V
  • Team Trump
« Reply #192 on: October 14, 2014, 08:28:10 PM »

Fixed.

Only joined this thread now but I said to gf as soon as this started they need to contain it and impose strict travel and movement controls on people in the affected areas. I know it is unfair and restrictive on those people - 99% of whom are not infected - but I knew a lot about ebola and three to six months of hardship to that small amount of people would have left this as a flash in the pan.

Instead we have the same bullshit. This is restricted to here, most people from X are fine no restrictions needed. It spread. No need to worry, it is under control. It spread more. It is confined to this area (now a growing area of West Africa) - no travel restrictions needed. Foreign aid workers etc get infected IN AFRICA - let's repatriate them (wtf?!?!). Some die, some live after repatriation as it spreads in Africa. Health workers and possibly others infected in Europe/America from repatriated patients - these health workers have not been confined to hospitals/quarantine  -the Spanish nurse even travelled. Then you have people travelling to infected areas (Tim Duncan or whatever his name was) handles dead bodies, gets infected, LIES, goes on plane and interacts with countless people. He goes to hospital then dies and infects a nurse treating him as a giant fuck you before he does so.

Still, we had a ship dock here other day from Sierra Leone. Any checks? No. They declared themselves to be OK, cos sailors know this kind of thing and that is the status quo.

Suddenly WHO says ebola is spreading faster than it thought (because WHO did nothing), mortality rate is rising (50% to 70%) and now we are being fed the opposite bullshit like we were with SARS of a doomsday scenario (10k new cases per week by DEC according to the WHO). Complete joke - an exercise in political correctness and optimism triumphed over common sense and caution.

I know, it's insane, and the DUMB FUCKING PUBLIC eat it up.
Ψ

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #193 on: October 15, 2014, 01:11:25 AM »

Sharon Ekambaram can go fuck herself and deal with the problem herself.  What an ungrateful kuntt
A

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #194 on: October 15, 2014, 03:39:06 AM »
Breaking news.  Second Texas healthcare worker tests positive.   And they're testi g the nurses boyfriend too

Wolfox

• Getbig V
« Reply #195 on: October 15, 2014, 03:46:57 AM »
Something's not adding up. Its more contagious than they want us to believe. Not airborne but more contagious.

Obummer needs to ban all incoming flights from Ebola country.
A

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #196 on: October 15, 2014, 05:17:45 AM »
We are not that overpopulated. There are many places on this earth, in this country, and in your state that you can go and not see people for weeks. We have unexplored swathes of land, forests, etc. it's just that people tend to congregate on the coasts.

'not that overpopulated'?! then how extreme do you 'want' it before you change your view, like 8, 9, 10, ... billion souls?

True, the world population isn't equally distributed, but the population densities in those mentioned areas are a complete nightmare in any sense :-\

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #197 on: October 15, 2014, 06:00:02 AM »

Don't be shifty.  Come right out and say it.  You want that forty acres and a mule.
A

Pray_4_War

• Getbig V
  • Thot Expert
« Reply #198 on: October 15, 2014, 08:05:42 AM »
It's been nice knowing you boys.

We all gonna die.

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #199 on: October 15, 2014, 08:14:24 AM »
'not that overpopulated'?! then how extreme do you 'want' it before you change your view, like 8, 9, 10, ... billion souls?

True, the world population isn't equally distributed, but the population densities in those mentioned areas are a complete nightmare in any sense :-\

It can be argued that overpopulation is more than just the number of people per square mile.  Obviously, Africa is over populated in that they have more people than they are able to support without the aid of foreign countries. 
A