Author Topic: chinups & pullups  (Read 15410 times)

SuperTed

• Getbig V
  • Rebirth
Re: chinups & pullups
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2014, 02:06:57 AM »
I prefer chin ups to pull ups. I don't train my arms anymore so I like the fact it gives the biceps a great workout and the stretch it gives my chest that I don't get with pull ups. I've started doing Gironda sternum chin ups too.

I generally believe that bodyweight exercises are all you need to develop a great upper body.

Pray_4_War

• Getbig V
  • Thot Expert
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2014, 02:40:50 AM »
I can't do a pullup now that I'm a huge beast. My forearms give way.

I hear you. 

I'm as big as a house.  When I try to do some chins I can't pull myself up, I pull the chinup bar(and the rest of the apparatus) down to where I am. 

Too big and strong.  Gym owner mad.

heenok

• Getbig IV
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2014, 04:16:45 AM »
I did that for years and years every single back work out using that same advice.  I have been lately focusing only on Lat Pulldowns instead and find them to be much better than pullups.  I find pullups to be overrated.  I am very good at them though.

lat pulldown is vastly superior to pullup
you can feel every muscle tensing and contracting

when i go pullups i barely have a pump
during a set of pullups all you want to do is get your eyes above the bar, its an ego/number thing
the muscle isnt being worked

Darren Avey

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2014, 04:23:36 AM »
Best workout each week for me is chest and back. Bench press and pull up supersets and then incline DB press and DB rows supersets. Ive developed great thickness.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2014, 04:35:18 AM »
Best workout each week for me is chest and back. Bench press and pull up supersets and then incline DB press and DB rows supersets. Ive developed great thickness.
Yes Antagonistic split is great. Whole upper body is hit with chest and back.

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2014, 06:14:32 AM »

during a set of pullups all you want to do is get your eyes above the bar, its an ego/number thing

They're also dangerous if you're a larger than average person.

No one would do their first set of pulldowns with 200lbs (except some of the monsters, here).

Pull-ups are great when you're young. When middle aged, you're asking to tear something.

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2014, 10:08:02 AM »

Mawse

• Getbig IV
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2014, 10:11:53 AM »
Most pull-up ninjas are tiny tits

If you put your feet in a stool and squeeze up, contract your scaps and last at the top and then slowly lower then it becomes a great exercise but spastic swinging does very little.

Taking some weight on your feet means much more tension on the muscle throughout the lift since you don't use momentum, and you'll be able do do 8x8 or other loading schemes that don't really work with pull-ups

heenok

• Getbig IV
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2014, 10:28:23 AM »
They're also dangerous if you're a larger than average person.

No one would do their first set of pulldowns with 200lbs (except some of the monsters, here).

Pull-ups are great when you're young. When middle aged, you're asking to tear something.

its imperative to warmup the long head of the triceps before any pullup movement
most people dont do it and end up paying from it

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2014, 10:42:15 AM »

If you put your feet in a stool and squeeze up, contract your scaps and last at the top and then slowly lower then it becomes a great exercise but spastic swinging does very little.

Taking some weight on your feet means much more tension on the muscle throughout the lift since you don't use momentum, and you'll be able do do 8x8 or other loading schemes that don't really work with pull-ups

In one of my old gyms, they had a machine called The Gravitron. It was sort of a hybrid pull-up/ pulldown with the weight stack serving as a counterweight to your bodyweight. You'd stand on a platform, grab the bar, pull up, and you were assisted by the amount of weight you chose. One of the few useful machines out there.

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2014, 10:46:40 AM »

Yes, but many are very ripped and defined. Plus you develop agility within the movement. Look at
Frank Medrano

There is no proof that lat pulls are. There are proponents for each.

And actually, you last part, that seems like a justification for not doing it. If one cannot pull one's head above the bar, then one is pathetic.

Two of the most subpar backs in terms of detail are Nasser and Cutler, and they did lat pull downs, yet couldn't do 1 pull up.
Kai Green and Phil Heath, along with Joel Stubbs have highly detailed backs, and start off with pull ups.

Neptune100

• Getbig III
« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2014, 11:05:52 AM »

Doesn't give someone the excuse not to do them because they are "big"

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2014, 11:16:13 AM »
beneficial or a waste of time ::)

Probably one of the best exercises ever.  That and Dumbbells SEALFIT manmakers.   

Mr. MB

• Getbig III
« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2014, 11:41:07 AM »
Bill Pearl and his bigger brother Harry were big on chins. I hooked up with Harry after a long illness and he started me with chins/dips/squats. He told me to do 10 perfect chins...I told him I could only do one. I did 10. One every 5 minutes. I worked up to 11 sets of 11. Then started adding a chain around waist with a 25er. As soon as I got up to 10 reps we added a second 25. A few years later I was doing 10 reps with a hundred....and same on the dips. Squats crept up to 405x10. If that's all you did...weighted chins/dips and squats you could build a decent physique.

visualizeperfection

• Getbig V
  • Getbig sponsored athlete.
« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2014, 11:42:32 AM »
Probably one of the best exercises ever.  That and Dumbbells SEALFIT manmakers.   

lol @ your gimmick exercises.

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2014, 01:06:44 PM »

hardgainerj

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: October 14, 2014, 04:23:51 PM »
Lat Pulldowns are more difficult in my opinion.  Especially if you do ZERO rocking motion and do them just like this.  Most people do not do them like this.

not alot of rocking here

Lustral

• Getbig V
  • FREE NOODLES
« Reply #42 on: October 14, 2014, 04:52:04 PM »
I'm a bit lazy about my workouts. Like you, I prefer lat pull-downs to pull-ups. Nautilus weight assisted pull-ups are fine for me. My lats don't look like Arnold's did, but then neither do his.

Lol at last sentence. Never felt too much doing regular pullups or chins at my weight. Rack pullups worked well for me as did assissted pullups but assissted pullup machine in women's weights area of my gym so fuck that.

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #43 on: October 14, 2014, 05:06:29 PM »
ive seen guys who only did chins and pull ups and had backs from hell,im talking freaky ass backs. this was in the joint tho and there where some genetics freaks in the mix
R

Jizzacked

« Reply #44 on: October 14, 2014, 07:38:24 PM »
pull ups with full range are excellent for real functional upper body strength.  I also like them after deads, as it feels like it decompresses the spine a bit doing some dead hang pullups.  Lat pulldowns definitely have their place... I usually do them at the end of the back workout as a burnout exercise with lower weight. 

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: October 14, 2014, 10:08:30 PM »

Rack pullups worked well for me as did assissted pullups but assissted pullup machine in women's weights area of my gym so fuck that.

Yeah, that would kill it for me too. Don't want to look like a pussy!  :(

heenok

• Getbig IV
« Reply #46 on: October 15, 2014, 01:44:07 AM »
There is no proof that lat pulls are. There are proponents for each.

And actually, you last part, that seems like a justification for not doing it. If one cannot pull one's head above the bar, then one is pathetic.

Two of the most subpar backs in terms of detail are Nasser and Cutler, and they did lat pull downs, yet couldn't do 1 pull up.
Kai Green and Phil Heath, along with Joel Stubbs have highly detailed backs, and start off with pull ups.

im able to do a good 12 pullups with perfect form, chin above the bar, no swinging etc...

im just saying that doing pullups, for most people is an ego thing they want to impress the other member in the gym, presisely because of all those street workouts videos
every kid wants to do that shit, its trendy, looks badass

but bodybuilding wise its worthless

BigRo

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Mystical Manspreading
« Reply #47 on: October 15, 2014, 02:22:04 AM »
pulls ups are worthless bodybuilding wise? what a crock of poo. Pull ups are an excellent back developer when done with good form.

heenok

• Getbig IV
« Reply #48 on: October 15, 2014, 02:26:52 AM »
most people arent capable to do a decent amount of reps with good form
most top pros cant for example

heath is an exception

True

• Getbig IV
  • Zero Tolerance
« Reply #49 on: October 15, 2014, 02:53:10 AM »