Getbig Main Boards > Politics and Political Issues Board
Federal Appeals Court Reinstates Texas Voter ID Law
(1/29) > >>
tonymctones:
http://news.yahoo.com/appeals-court-reinstates-texas-voter-id-law-212302367.html

Allowing it to be enforced in the November elections...

The ruling represents a temporary but key victory for Republican-backed photo ID measures that have swept across the U.S. in recent years. Last week's ruling from U.S. District Judge Nelva Gonzales Ramos — an appointee of President Barack Obama who likened the law to a poll tax designed to dissuade minorities from voting — remains under appeal.

240 is Back:
by then, they'll probably be issuing voting IDs to illegal aliens too.

Voting of love.
Dos Equis:

--- Quote from: tonymctones on October 14, 2014, 04:55:15 PM ---http://news.yahoo.com/appeals-court-reinstates-texas-voter-id-law-212302367.html

Allowing it to be enforced in the November elections...

The ruling represents a temporary but key victory for Republican-backed photo ID measures that have swept across the U.S. in recent years. Last week's ruling from U.S. District Judge Nelva Gonzales Ramos — an appointee of President Barack Obama who likened the law to a poll tax designed to dissuade minorities from voting — remains under appeal.

--- End quote ---

"Free IDs offered by the state require a birth certificate that costs as little as $3, but the Justice Department argued that traveling to get those documents imposes a burden on poor minorities."

I am very sympathetic to low income people, but this opposition is ridiculous.  The ID is free.  You pay $3 for a BC, which you can get by mail.  Get transportation to get your free ID.  And this is a burden?  Seriously? 

I could see this being an issue if time was a problem, but when people literally have years, I simply don't see this as some kind of unfair or unconstitutional infringement on the right to vote.   
240 is Back:
we've talked about those state ID costs.  free in a few places for the elderly, but in most states, for most people, ,they're not free.  and most aren't $3 either.   and for a birth cert?  I needed one from ohio a while back, it was like 30 or 50. 

Straw Man:

--- Quote from: Dos Equis on October 14, 2014, 05:33:15 PM ---"Free IDs offered by the state require a birth certificate that costs as little as $3, but the Justice Department argued that traveling to get those documents imposes a burden on poor minorities."

I am very sympathetic to low income people, but this opposition is ridiculous.  The ID is free.  You pay $3 for a BC, which you can get by mail.  Get transportation to get your free ID.  And this is a burden?  Seriously? 

I could see this being an issue if time was a problem, but when people literally have years, I simply don't see this as some kind of unfair or unconstitutional infringement on the right to vote.   

--- End quote ---

If you work 60 hours a week at a minimum wage job it could be a huge burden if you have to skip a day of work and a day of income to get an ID and if you're living paycheck to paycheck you may literally not be able to afford to skip a day of work

Navigation
Message Index
Next page

Go to full version