Author Topic: Why do people get so obsessed over a sports team?  (Read 12761 times)

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
Re: Why do people get so obsessed over a sports team?
« Reply #100 on: October 22, 2014, 09:08:56 PM »
the belonging part applies to most female sport fans, in a sport crazy town they don't want to be looked at as an outcast for not following the team

i don't know a single person that was good at sports as a kid that hates them as an adult

the drama of following a team throughout a season is better than any movie or tv show

E
???

Really?  The themes in sports are so limited and constrained.  Perhaps if you gave a player a gun on the field and made a clue type game out of it.  No idea how anyone could find a game with set rules compelling in the least.  You already know what is going to happen.  Team A will beat Team B and they will do the same thing next year.  It makes no difference who wins what because there is NO FINALITY.  The same teams will just do the same thing again and again and again and again until they are blue in the face.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #101 on: October 22, 2014, 09:10:07 PM »
that is common for the guys that played at a high level in college or a short time in the pros

they can't handle watching it anymore because it depresses them, their career didn't turn out as well as they hoped or expected, they see other guys living the life they lost out on and instead have to work a regular job like the rest of us

guys that just played in high school and excelled don't hate it as adults

E
Look at these former athletes and now fans.  They were the pick of the litter I bet when they "played sports".

Check out this former All Star Team now fans.

Elite former athletes right here:

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #102 on: October 22, 2014, 09:13:08 PM »
???

Really?  The themes in sports are so limited and constrained.  Perhaps if you gave a player a gun on the field and made a clue type game out of it.  No idea how anyone could find a game with set rules compelling in the least.  You already know what is going to happen.  Team A will beat Team B and they will do the same thing next year.  It makes no difference who wins what because there is NO FINALITY.  The same teams will just do the same thing again and again and again and again until they are blue in the face.

not just the games but the trades, drafts, offseason moves, injuries, locker room drama etc

it's all highly interesting to true sport fans

E
E

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #103 on: October 22, 2014, 09:14:55 PM »
Look at these former athletes and now fans.  They were the pick of the litter I bet when they "played sports".

you'd be surprised to know who once was a star athlete as a kid

many (most?)  people age and gain weight

E

E

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #104 on: October 22, 2014, 09:23:47 PM »
you'd be surprised to know who once was a star athlete as a kid

many (most?)  people age and gain weight

E

Yes, I agree.  They were all All-Stars.  Shame they let themselves go though.  Probably still great football players though.

Bevo

• Getbig V
  • Middle Urinal
« Reply #105 on: October 22, 2014, 09:50:23 PM »

I am actually agreeing with u that there are a lot that never played or have played but sucked really bad at it and now they need something to validate thier belonging hence why the term "we won" is used

Bevo

• Getbig V
  • Middle Urinal
« Reply #106 on: October 22, 2014, 09:53:41 PM »
Most people who are fanatics are ones who couldn't play and wish they did.  Most guys that I know that played ball in highschool, college and professional once done barely watch games and couldn't be bothered to.

This is also true , funny I worked out last weekend with former Dallas Cowboys field goal kicker David buehler who graduated from USC and between sets of squats we chatted about teams around the league and he wasn't too sure on a lot of what was happening in the league and how he didn't pay attention too much or even had any interest in fantasy football

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #107 on: October 22, 2014, 09:54:36 PM »
I am actually agreeing with u that there are a lot that never played or have played but sucked really bad at it and now they need something to validate thier belonging hence why the term "we won" is used
I know Bevo.  I just felt we needed pics to validate our position.  ;)

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #108 on: October 25, 2014, 04:21:08 PM »
This is also true , funny I worked out last weekend with former Dallas Cowboys field goal kicker David buehler who graduated from USC and between sets of squats we chatted about teams around the league and he wasn't too sure on a lot of what was happening in the league and how he didn't pay attention too much or even had any interest in fantasy football

he was a kicker, not a football player

they don't even associate with the team during practice

E
E

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
  • Ron crowned me King because I always deliver.
« Reply #109 on: October 25, 2014, 04:37:50 PM »
People love sports all around the world.

Why hate on someone who likes it?

Ronnie Rep

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #110 on: October 25, 2014, 06:17:28 PM »
Let's go Iggles, still waiting for that Super Bowl ring.

2Thick

• Getbig IV
  • His Thickness
« Reply #111 on: October 26, 2014, 02:12:39 PM »
I love the ones who say "we kicked your ass" and similar.
I ddint know they were on the team?

Once a grown man starts to describe his favorite sports team as "we", you know he's truly lost the plot.
A