Author Topic: Strength and conditioning articles  (Read 4088 times)

jr

• Getbig V
  • No homo of peace
Strength and conditioning articles
« on: November 25, 2014, 02:20:57 PM »
Articles on a range of topics with conclusions based on scientific studies.

Sticky worthy thread IMO.

http://www.strengthandconditioningresearch.com/blog/index/

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Strength and conditioning articles
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2014, 03:32:55 PM »
I have a serious problem with these so called scientific studies. One is the test group is usually very small. Second is that you can't measure dedication and work ethic. Is a person really going to failure or dogging it? Another is genetic athletic differences. Another parameter are they previously trained or completely unexposed to exercise? Do they have sedentary work or physical?

Normally I read these studies and they are filled with pompous scientific buzz words meant to impress and dazzle with plenty of questionable usage of math formulas that are not necessary to get to their preconceived conclusion. Then I find the study is sometimes just a simpleton study of what contributes to increasing  single rep strength? Gee, the low rep group did better than the high rep. No shit Sherlock.  

The only way you can get some credibility is with groups of identical twins who are equally motivated concerning strength training for a control instead of a group of poorly managed random people. Some who are motivated and some who are not.

We don't have training facts but we have are training theories. If we have facts then everyone barring injury would be doing the same exact training system with identical exercises for what they are trying to accomplish. As we know everyone trains differently from the novice to the elite. Different regarding exercises, rep tempo, sets, and splits or lack of splits. You can find similarities with elite athletes. Ask two Olympic lifting Gold medalist their training approach. I'm sure they don't train the same.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2014, 03:17:25 AM »
rambles on a bit but still worth watching...

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2014, 03:19:55 AM »
Part 2 ...

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2014, 09:58:16 AM »
Excellent training findings/research articles offered by jr.

Opening up new thoughts and ideas can most always be a bonus to most of us, if taken the time to study. Some may hold merit, some may not, but we can gain a certain amount of new knowledge to explore and judge for our selves. Each of our bodies are the ultimate experimental lab of what works for us and us along.

That said, I'm not that big of what I call slide rule training, with mathematical equations, percentage of weight, variables, etc.. Leading almost into a study of Pythagprean theorem's. Other people may swear by this method, that's their choice. If making progress, week by week, than good for them. This is a BB'ing site and actually BB'ing is pretty simple stuff after all.

I do favor the tonnage + time protocol with applied SAID (Specific Adaptation to Imposed Demands) which is just a fancy term for progressive load. And does require basic math. Along with this, Square Root training (my term) for systems like 10X10,8x8 6X6, 5X5 and even 3X3. Don't need much head banging to understand these pretty simple concepts. Following the K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simple Stupid) of course.

Good Luck.
F

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2014, 06:48:12 AM »
Articles on a range of topics with conclusions based on scientific studies.

Sticky worthy thread IMO.

http://www.strengthandconditioningresearch.com/blog/index/

Nice find, jr!!

I'm kind of burned out on bodybuilding-type training, so I'm looking forward to reading up on some of the other topics regarding strength and performance.