Author Topic: Evil really does exist in this World  (Read 13243 times)

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
Re: Evil really does exist in this World
« Reply #125 on: October 24, 2014, 07:40:15 PM »
Does God exist?
Ask Him, he might answer.

B_B_C

• Getbig IV
  • change is the lot of all
« Reply #126 on: October 25, 2014, 02:36:11 PM »
Ask Him, he might answer.

she hasn't returned my call
c

Natural Man

• Getbig V
« Reply #127 on: October 25, 2014, 02:40:02 PM »
I don't agree with that.  I don't think a philosopher is trying to sell anything, a modern day one may be able to translate their ideas into books/movies etc, but I don't believe that is the underlying motivation for choosing a philosophical thought process.  If anything, you risk pissing everyone of, Nietzsche for example, made the masses more miserable, attacking the concept of GOD, criticizing modern morality ,contemporary culture and even philosophy and science and his work even motivated the Nazis (this is debatable, as his sister reworked his unpublished ideas and put her own slant on it, often contradicting Nietzsche).  Academics don't need to sell anything to the masses to make a living, if they can land a tenured position, they are set.

despair doesnt sell, this is why man has to invent bullshit happy endings to everything he creates.

Dokey111

• Getbig V
« Reply #128 on: October 25, 2014, 02:43:02 PM »
despair doesnt sell, this is why man has to invent bullshit happy endings to everything he creates.

Strongly disagree.  You never see a comedy win an Oscar.

Simple Simon

« Reply #129 on: October 25, 2014, 02:44:34 PM »
Strongly disagree.  You never see a comedy win an Oscar.

Dokey111

• Getbig V
« Reply #130 on: October 25, 2014, 02:46:58 PM »
I don't even know that film.  Is it a comedy?  Yes there are exceptions?  What year was that?  What was the comedy before that that won?  Stop it.

Simple Simon

« Reply #131 on: October 25, 2014, 02:49:08 PM »
Strongly disagree.  You never see a comedy win an Oscar.
I don't even know that film.  Is it a comedy?  Yes there are exceptions?  What year was that?  What was the comedy before that that won?  Stop it.

???

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #132 on: October 25, 2014, 02:54:18 PM »
True, but nowadays, more people wat to see movies that mimic reality, and don't have a happy ending. But, even more people want to see the happy ending. People clap, cheer for it.

Julio Ceasar

• Getbig V
« Reply #133 on: October 25, 2014, 03:07:59 PM »
Happy ending? Yes please!

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #134 on: October 25, 2014, 10:34:13 PM »
A man and wife in their 70's were murdered at home this morning in my town, what's worse it was one of their sons that did it. Someone would really have to be possessed to do such a thing.

Reminds me of this couple from church who we used to play pinochle with. They had two adopted grown sons who were estranged from them. One of their adopted son's worked out at the gym where I do. His wife was in a program for battered women where my wife worked. This fellow went to his parents' house to steal money for drugs and ended up stabbing them. They both died. They were discovered a week later when a neighbor heard their dogs howling. Their three large dogs ate some of the couple's flesh, probably to survive. -Gruesome stuff.

When you know someone personally who is murdered, it rings too close to home and is very unsettling. You never forget it.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #135 on: October 25, 2014, 10:43:26 PM »
Kids are a product of their environment.

We are products of our environment as well as our heredity. If one is weak the other dominates. Simply saying that someone is a product of their environment is misleading because it implies that this person has turned out poorly. Some folks who come from crappy environments go on to have very successful and happy lives. This might be because they rebelled against their bad environment or it could be because they inherited the ability to rise above a poor environment from their ancestors.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #136 on: October 25, 2014, 11:28:31 PM »
We are products of our environment as well as our heredity. If one is weak the other dominates. Simply saying that someone is a product of their environment is misleading because it implies that this person has turned out poorly. Some folks who come from crappy environments go on to have very successful and happy lives. This might be because they rebelled against their bad environment or it could be because they inherited the ability to rise above a poor environment from their ancestors.

Opposite is true as well.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #137 on: October 26, 2014, 01:18:14 PM »
Opposite is true as well.

For sure. It is probably more common for folks to repeat the same mistakes their parents make then it is to go in a completely different direction. It just is a not forgone conclusion of a bad environment or a genetic predisposition.