Author Topic: GOP calls grow for Rep. Trey Radel to resign  (Read 2121 times)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
GOP calls grow for Rep. Trey Radel to resign
« on: November 26, 2013, 08:25:10 PM »
Update Tuesday: Gov. Rick Scott agrees: Radel should resign.

Lee and Collier County Republicans, as well as the Republican Party of Florida, tonight called on U.S. Rep. Trey Radel to resign, adding to growing demands the lawmaker step down after pleading guilty to a cocaine charge.

Radel's actions "have violated the trust of those whom he was elected to represent and fall short of the standards for an elected official," the county GOP committees said in a statement. It called Radel's "actions clearly disqualify the pursuit of another term and if he should run for re-election, he would not enjoy our support." (see full statement in jump)

RPOF Chairman Lenny Curry said: "The people of Florida’s 19th Congressional District need a Congressman who is 100 percent focused on the needs of Southwest Florida. "Therefore, Congressman Radel should step down and focus his attention on rehabilitation and his family.”

A spokesman told the Naples Daily News that "Congressman Radel's top priority right now is to complete his rehabilitation and then return to work as soon as possible."

But any support Radel had is rapidly eroding as would-be Republican candidates size up a special election.

Radel, who checked into a rehab center last week, pleaded guilty to a cocaine possession charge in a District of Columbia court last Wednesday. He was busted Oct. 29 trying to buy cocaine from an undercover officer. Joint statement from Lee and Collier County Republican Executive Committees:

"The recent revelation of the purchase and use of illicit drugs by Congressman Radel came as a shock and disappointment not only to his constituents, but also to those who call him a friend. His health and the well-being of his family are our utmost concern and we fully support his rehabilitation process. Our prayers are with him on his long road to recovery.

"However, these actions have violated the trust of those whom he was elected to represent and fall short of the standards for an elected official; especially a member of the United States Congress.  His actions clearly disqualify the pursuit of another term and if he should run for re-election, he would not enjoy our support.

"While the decision to complete the current term is his alone to make, we strongly encourage him to reflect on his ability to remain effective and that a return to Congress may serve only as an impediment to his recovery.  We feel it is in the best interests of all involved that he resign immediately. We hope that he can focus solely on his rehabilitation and allow the citizens to begin their own healing process.  We thank Trey for his service and wish only the best for him and his family."

TB Times

240 is Back

• Getbig V
Re: GOP calls grow for Rep. Trey Radel to resign
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2013, 08:40:08 PM »
I don't get it... Hookers are okay, but drugs are not?   Soliciting sex in a mens room is okay, but coke is not?

Consistency... give the guy a 2nd chance already.   The leadership is all turning on him at once.  Radel spent 12 straight months telling listeners every morning how awesome Rick Scott was... and one little drug charge, and Rick Scott turns on him?   Scott's company ADMITTED 14 felonies and paid fines to keep prosecution away... and he's mad that Radel just wanted a little bump? 

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2013, 09:05:06 PM »
They don't want any scandals before the mid-terms.  Get him out and forgotten as soon as possible.
A

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2013, 05:54:59 AM »
Let's all have a toot this morning...

chadstallion

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2013, 08:19:54 AM »
keep that man around; he's our own little version of the Toronto Mayor!
w

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2013, 02:19:51 PM »
keep that man around; he's our own little version of the Toronto Mayor!

wow, local media is showing him on breaks from rehab, chain-smoking in the parking lot.  I thought some sort of privacy should apply in the case of rehab parking lots?  Weird. 

I guess his drug use isn't the problem - it's the hypocrisy he showed.  Calling obama names and mocking his drug use, calling for tougher punishment on drug users... and he's snorting coke all the while.   Nobody just up and decides to go buy coke on the street.  Casual/infrequent users will take a bump at a party, etc.  To get in your car, go to the street, and buy from a stranger - um, you have a serious drug problem and one that didn't start yesterday.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2013, 09:41:21 PM »
Rep. Trey Radel, R-Fla., said Thursday he has no plans to resign from Congress after being arrested trying to purchase cocaine in October, and that it was his struggles with alcoholism that led him to use the drug.

"I love what I do and I'm going to return to what I do, what you sent me to do in Washington D.C., which is working for you and your family while I relish mine," Radel said in a press conference following his release from a Florida rehab center.

Radel said he has used cocaine only “a handful of times,” and insisted he was never impaired while voting or carrying out any of his other congressional responsibilities.

“Alcohol does not work for me… It led me down a path that that slowly and surely chipped away at my relationship with my wife, my child and God," Radel said. "And it led to really bad decisions, which put me here today."

Advertise | AdChoicesThe south Florida congressman was charged with possession of cocaine after he attempted purchased 3.5 grams of the drug from an undercover officer in Washington, D.C. on October 29th. He pled guilty to the charge on November 20th and was sentenced to one year probation.

http://nbcpolitics.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/12/19/21973106-radel-says-no-plans-to-resign-after-cocaine-bust?lite

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2013, 05:53:36 AM »
so you guys are for a mentally ill person running shit. Alcoholism isn't a thing, it's a symptom of a thing called depression or ahedonia or a fucked up reward system. People are rarely brought to alcohol without a reason to use, it might be that it feels better, again, a symptom of some fucked up underlying reward system impairment and excess glutatmate. I understand there is a DSM-V inclusion but what I mean is that whether it's alcohol or speed addiction has a underpinning theme, people just choose the drug. Alcohol and valium are different drugs but attract the same type, the treatment is the same etc.. cocaine or meth same principle, same treatment same issues. These aren't seperate things, alcoholism, cocainism but a mentally ill person usually derived from an organic souce otherwise it's usually nuture related and then it's not drugs but therapy.

He is an addict, alcohol is his drug of choice, but every so often it doesn't cut it, he wants more re-inforcement, got to get that dopaminergic surge to go with the inebriation once and a while.. in comes the coke. Sure he wasn't drunk when he makes decisions, but I can bet he was hungover and not functioning well ie sick.

When you are an addict even functional, you will cut corners, change plans etc to get to your med faster, it becomes the only thing you care about and look forward to, everything else is just a means to an end, the drug.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2013, 10:57:11 AM »
I guess in Congress being convicted of a crime is not as bad as tweeting selfies of your junk and then lying about it

temple_of_dis

• Getbig III
  • togtfo
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2013, 02:27:44 PM »
Update Tuesday: Gov. Rick Scott agrees: Radel should resign.

Lee and Collier County Republicans, as well as the Republican Party of Florida, tonight called on U.S. Rep. Trey Radel to resign, adding to growing demands the lawmaker step down after pleading guilty to a cocaine charge.

Radel's actions "have violated the trust of those whom he was elected to represent and fall short of the standards for an elected official," the county GOP committees said in a statement. It called Radel's "actions clearly disqualify the pursuit of another term and if he should run for re-election, he would not enjoy our support." (see full statement in jump)

RPOF Chairman Lenny Curry said: "The people of Florida’s 19th Congressional District need a Congressman who is 100 percent focused on the needs of Southwest Florida. "Therefore, Congressman Radel should step down and focus his attention on rehabilitation and his family.”

A spokesman told the Naples Daily News that "Congressman Radel's top priority right now is to complete his rehabilitation and then return to work as soon as possible."

But any support Radel had is rapidly eroding as would-be Republican candidates size up a special election.

Radel, who checked into a rehab center last week, pleaded guilty to a cocaine possession charge in a District of Columbia court last Wednesday. He was busted Oct. 29 trying to buy cocaine from an undercover officer. Joint statement from Lee and Collier County Republican Executive Committees:

"The recent revelation of the purchase and use of illicit drugs by Congressman Radel came as a shock and disappointment not only to his constituents, but also to those who call him a friend. His health and the well-being of his family are our utmost concern and we fully support his rehabilitation process. Our prayers are with him on his long road to recovery.

"However, these actions have violated the trust of those whom he was elected to represent and fall short of the standards for an elected official; especially a member of the United States Congress.  His actions clearly disqualify the pursuit of another term and if he should run for re-election, he would not enjoy our support.

"While the decision to complete the current term is his alone to make, we strongly encourage him to reflect on his ability to remain effective and that a return to Congress may serve only as an impediment to his recovery.  We feel it is in the best interests of all involved that he resign immediately. We hope that he can focus solely on his rehabilitation and allow the citizens to begin their own healing process.  We thank Trey for his service and wish only the best for him and his family."

TB Times

boot the idiot

politicians bad enuf when not coked up

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2013, 03:28:01 PM »
alcoholism isn't the prob.   ADDICTION is the problem.  IMHO.  I'm from a family of addicts.  when alchol isn't the drug, then it will be

work
kids
women
pills
exercise
stimulants

etc etc.   Addictive personality cannot really can't be treated... ya just find healthier things to obsess about.

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
  • Using Surveillance for Political Subversion(?)
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2013, 03:46:52 PM »
Guys like the hypocrite Radel use alcohol to explain their drug problems, because it's the only way they can attempt to minimize the terrible appearance of their own judgment. There's no other way to do that.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2013, 04:35:27 PM »
Guys like the hypocrite Radel use alcohol to explain their drug problems, because it's the only way they can attempt to minimize the terrible appearance of their own judgment. There's no other way to do that.

Radel was the 6am to 9am FOX radio local guy over the last year (the year before he was elected).

He used to bash obama for his coke use every day.  He wanted tougher enforcement of drug laws.  I think that's why many people are criticizing him.  If Ron Paul got picked up for coke, we'd probably laugh because he's just practicing what he preaches...   But Radel was very much about tougher punishment for drug users.

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2013, 04:53:42 PM »
Radel was the 6am to 9am FOX radio local guy over the last year (the year before he was elected).

He used to bash obama for his coke use every day.  He wanted tougher enforcement of drug laws.  I think that's why many people are criticizing him.  If Ron Paul got picked up for coke, we'd probably laugh because he's just practicing what he preaches...   But Radel was very much about tougher punishment for drug users.

Few things are worse than the behavior of a guy like this.

The fucker needs to be run out of town on a rail, and I don't mean by his nose.

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2013, 04:57:26 PM »
Reminds me of Rush Limbaugh and his magic maid.

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2013, 05:10:37 PM »
Thing is, Limbaugh was abusing some kind of pills. That's probably the sole reason he'd employed another person to purchase for him, as he didn't have to be paranoid about getting his stash nicked. LOL

What fucking pieces of work, and the idiots that try to defend them.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2013, 09:46:54 PM »
Thing is, Limbaugh was abusing some kind of pills. That's probably the sole reason he'd employed another person to purchase for him, as he didn't have to be paranoid about getting his stash nicked. LOL

What fucking pieces of work, and the idiots that try to defend them.

rush was a hypocrite BUT he had a legit medical condition.  Was he doctor shopping to get more drugs than he needed?  Sure.  But to me, that's like a level 1 hypocrisy. 

Radel is like a level 3 hypocrisy... because while rush talks about it, Radel actually CREATES LAW.
And Radel talked about it too, while he was a FOX talk show host.
AND Radel isn't owning it and quitting - he's choosing not to resign.

Finally rush has a serious back problem that's made him limp for years.  Radel just wanted to snort some nose candy.  Not that i'm defending rush by any means, he's a world-class hypocrite. But Radel is way worse.

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2013, 09:40:15 AM »
rush was a hypocrite BUT he had a legit medical condition.  Was he doctor shopping to get more drugs than he needed?  Sure.  But to me, that's like a level 1 hypocrisy.  

Radel is like a level 3 hypocrisy... because while rush talks about it, Radel actually CREATES LAW.
And Radel talked about it too, while he was a FOX talk show host.
AND Radel isn't owning it and quitting - he's choosing not to resign.

Finally rush has a serious back problem that's made him limp for years.  Radel just wanted to snort some nose candy.  Not that i'm defending rush by any means, he's a world-class hypocrite. But Radel is way worse.

Because of the position each has, yeah, we'd definitely have to give the "worst" award to Radel. No doubt about it, you make a good case for that. But Limbaugh was having himself quite a party, too, as he talked (what turned out to be) utterly hypocritical bullshit every day to a massive audience.

I looked a bit closer at Limbaugh, and he was into various pills like Oxycontin and similar. He was doctor shopping, but he was also purchasing "large quantities" of drugs from his former maid and her husband. He was apparently consuming "hundreds" of pills per month for "several years". And you can bet the story had only its surface scratched. This dude was a longtime junkie, which makes me highly skeptical that he's manged to ditch the problem.

I'd laugh about the situation, if it weren't so fucking pathetic.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2014, 10:30:37 AM »

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2014, 11:06:50 AM »
And............... he has resigned.

http://www.politico.com/story/2014/01/trey-radel-resignation-102642.html?hp=f3

good for him

now he can go back to criticizing Obama for doing coke 30 years ago

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2014, 07:30:09 AM »
This guy WILL be an analyst on FOX, he's too darn likable.  

Trey Radel apparently received donations after cocaine bust

WASHINGTON — Former Rep. Trey Radel collected nearly $63,000 in campaign contributions during the last three months of 2013, some of it apparently given after he pleaded guilty to misdemeanor cocaine possession in November.

Radel, who resigned Jan. 27, ended the year with nearly $264,000 in his campaign account, according to a report filed Friday with the Federal Election Commission.

The campaign still owes $206,000 to the Fort Myers Republican, who made no-interest loans to the campaign when he first ran for office in 2012. In an interview last year before his legal troubles, Radel said he hadn’t decided whether the campaign would repay him.

Radel did not respond to an email Monday asking about repayment of the loan or what he plans to do with the money in his campaign account.

Radel could contribute the money to other candidates or their political action committees, donate it to charity, or refund it to donors. Or he could simply keep the money where it is and use it if he runs for federal office again.

Radel was caught in a drug sting by an undercover law enforcement officer who sold him 3.5 grams of cocaine at a Washington restaurant on Oct. 29. But the bust was not made public until Nov. 19, when the charges were officially released.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2014, 04:08:45 AM »
Trey Radel, the disgraced Republican congressman from Fort Myers who resigned in January after pleading guilty to cocaine charges, has completed his probation ahead of schedule, news partner WINK News reported Thursday night.

Radel's probationary period was to end Nov. 20, a year after pleading guilty in the D.C. Superior Court.

NEWS-PRESS
After arrest, rehab, Radel's return to Washington described as 'rough'
After completing a drug treatment program, paying a $250 fine, and refraining from further arrests, he was granted an early probation termination, WINK News said.

His record has been expunged.