Author Topic: Wrestlers angered by return of old stars - dry your eyes  (Read 8925 times)

GraniteCityDon

• Getbig IV
Wrestlers angered by return of old stars - dry your eyes
« on: October 26, 2014, 04:07:02 PM »
Ive been seeing alot lately how the current crop of sports entertainers are pissed because of the returns of the Rock, Lesnar etc.

I find this ironic because i feel it is the return of these guys that is keeping alot of them in their job with WWE. Throughout the PG era WWE has suffered in regards to revenue, almost being crippled at one stage when the company share price was around $7. Crowds of 15000 are now crowds of 1500 - 3000, budget cuts are rampant & viewing figures are in the toilet. Oh, and the Network is a monumental flop.

The only thing that seems to garner interest is seeing the heroes of years gone by come back and ignite a spark in the old fans who remember the impact they had when this business was an integral part of our lives. Who the fuck wants to tune in and watch the Uso's, Bo whatever his fucking name is or Kofi???

The current product is atrocious, if Vince wants to give Rock & Lesnar the strap on a PT basis because it benefits the company then the little bitch bottom - mid carders should accept it or go to whatever indie promotion they can find for $50 a match. And if the more experienced guys on the roster object, they need to realise that fans arent exactly tuning in to see them either.

Rant over.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
Re: Wrestlers angered by return of old stars - dry your eyes
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2014, 04:09:01 PM »
Good!!!

Stickied.

Pumpzilla

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2014, 05:51:47 AM »
Boom!!

Agree completely!!

leaky_frog

• Getbig III
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2014, 09:43:28 PM »
So true.  The current crop should be working on getting a Rock-size pop instead of complaining about not getting a top spot. 

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2014, 07:00:17 PM »
Ive been seeing alot lately how the current crop of sports entertainers are pissed because of the returns of the Rock, Lesnar etc.

I find this ironic because i feel it is the return of these guys that is keeping alot of them in their job with WWE. Throughout the PG era WWE has suffered in regards to revenue, almost being crippled at one stage when the company share price was around $7. Crowds of 15000 are now crowds of 1500 - 3000, budget cuts are rampant & viewing figures are in the toilet. Oh, and the Network is a monumental flop.

The only thing that seems to garner interest is seeing the heroes of years gone by come back and ignite a spark in the old fans who remember the impact they had when this business was an integral part of our lives. Who the fuck wants to tune in and watch the Uso's, Bo whatever his fucking name is or Kofi???

The current product is atrocious, if Vince wants to give Rock & Lesnar the strap on a PT basis because it benefits the company then the little bitch bottom - mid carders should accept it or go to whatever indie promotion they can find for $50 a match. And if the more experienced guys on the roster object, they need to realise that fans arent exactly tuning in to see them either.

Rant over.
Great post....post of the century IMO.

BroadStreetBruiser

• Getbig V
  • "In Falcon We Trust"
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2014, 04:00:25 AM »
I really think that lack of regional wrestling promotions where guys would develop fully is what's killing WWE. I remember as a kid growing up in the WWF Northeast market I would never see guys until they hit WWF and as I got older finding out they had been wrestling for +10yrs and worked out their whole stage presence. I'd love to get heavy into wrestling again but these current guys are so corny and they aren't believable.
Does anyone even cut promo's anymore or do they all do that stupid shit where they talk in the ring and someone interupts them and they stand slack jawed?
$

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2014, 06:29:06 PM »

Rant over.
I love this fucking post...I've been trying to say this for a while but you worded it so perfectly.

GraniteCityDon

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2014, 07:00:12 PM »
Thanks man, i am just so frustrated in seeing something that was a HUGE part of my life get pissed down the drain. The transition from legitimacy / kayfabe to a soap opera is a travesty, a vision only a disgruntled old man would see. Vince has failed in every other avenue he has pursued, he had his finger on the pulse of the industry & even then decided total domination wasnt enough and changed the entire direction for the worse.

The greatest issue is that, after what has been done, things can never go back to he way they were. Khali taming the Cobra at ringside was out of place for a pantomime never mind a wrestling match. Sad times.

Hulkster

• Getbig V
  • ND ran away from me
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2015, 08:01:21 PM »
yes, and the fact that Ultimate Warrior is gone forever is a huge blow to the business.

he was all set to bring it back up from parts unknown and back into the mainstream conscience of our lives 8)
Flower Boy Ran Away

ritch

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2015, 08:08:57 PM »
Some really well expressed thoughts here. Reminds me when I was huge on not missing RAW and would rewind Batista's entrance like 5 times, just felt like I could walk through brick walls when watching the show back then!

But the Rock is back in wrestling? Had no idea!
?

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2015, 02:51:35 AM »
yes, and the fact that Ultimate Warrior is gone forever is a huge blow to the business.

he was all set to bring it back up from parts unknown and back into the mainstream conscience of our lives 8)

It actually did.

The ulterior motive behind "inducting" many of those HOF honorees is for Vince to make money off of them once more. For a few, like Koko B. Ware, it may simply be a kindly gesture to pay tribute/homage - but, for guys like Bret, Hulkster, Savage, Bruno, etc., it is a golden opportunity for the old man to sell some more merchandise and tickets.

It's also a feather in Vince's cap to, in a sense, "own" these men once again.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2015, 09:36:27 AM »
didn't they bring rickey steamboat on when they released a dvd on him and than stomped him in the ring and sent him to the hospital with internal injuries.
F

Ronnie Rep

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2015, 11:08:46 AM »
Some really well expressed thoughts here. Reminds me when I was huge on not missing RAW and would rewind Batista's entrance like 5 times, just felt like I could walk through brick walls when watching the show back then!

But the Rock is back in wrestling? Had no idea!
Don't think I have watched Raw in 5 years. Product sucks.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2015, 04:31:01 PM »
didn't they bring rickey steamboat on when they released a dvd on him and than stomped him in the ring and sent him to the hospital with internal injuries.

Yes, but that wasn't a work!

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2015, 10:39:14 AM »

Yes, but that wasn't a work!
i 'm not sure but it might have been ryback's cluminess that injured him .
F

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2015, 03:42:29 PM »
i 'm not sure but it might have been ryback's cluminess that injured him .

Now that I think of it, I don't believe the injury was a work. In fact, I think the Fed even issued a statement acknowledging the angle, but Steamboat's hospital visit was NOT a work.

Of course, I didn't think of this last night. I was even sober then!!
Maybe Jack & tequila jar the memory...
 ;D

Ron Jeremy

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2015, 11:50:20 AM »
Rock and Lesnar draw. Period. The others don't. As far as regional promotions, at one time, there were 24 Territories that drew and wrestlers could make a living working these. Then, some promoters/disgruntled wrestlers started running "Outlaw" shows which watered down the territories. Then cable, Crockett, Vince etc.came along.